Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Community Filename Prefix Reservations
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mod development resources & discussion > Community Prefix Database
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35
ala
Thank you Baronius biggrin.gif I've already started working on first one. It's going pretty well, but since I'm fighting for bachelor title this year, it's going to take some time before I release it. happy.gif
Amaunator09
Thanks! smile.gif
Cargolin

Hello.

News from a French unremitting modding guy. I'm back here to inform you of a problem : obviously, "$" does not match with prefixes and mod development. It generates compilation errors that harm dialogs files in particular.
My prefix is the only one using $, this may be the reason why my prefix has been accepted. So i wad wondering : is it possible to change Y$ for Y! ?

Thanks.

(I used my English dictionnary to write this message, so please forgive me)
Baronius
Hi!

Your prefix has been changed from Y$ to Y!.
Kuronapo
Hi !
Could I have the prefixe #M please ?
Thaaanks tongue.gif
Baronius
Hello!

Could you tell more about your planned mod(s)?
Kuronapo
unsure.gif I would like but I speak english like a poor shit so it won't be easy to explain you what I want to do. I can just say you that it's about a NPC mod and a big and great love story. So please now give me what I want (or burn in hell ph34r.gif )

+++ happy.gif
Baronius
Your English is apparently not that bad, and please kindly understand that sometimes we ask more details about mods, because a lot of prefixes are taken and many modders don't release anything. Also, even if your English was so poor, you could ask someone to help you. We don't need some long descriptions, just a few concrete words about the mod (such as the current progress status, the estimated release date, possibly the platform, i.e. BG, BG2, Tutu, or Trilogy etc.).
Sikret
Yes, more than 90% of people who register a prefix never release anything. My suggestion is that any registered prefix should remain valid (preserved) only for a limited time (say 6 months) and if the person who registered it doesn't release anything within that period of time, the prefix should be free again.

This will require a bit more work on your part Baronius. When you enter a new prefix, you will need to enter its registration date as well and should then cancel the registration if (say) 6 months passes without releasing anything (those who have completed their mods or have released at least a beta version should post and provide a link). If we don't go for this solution we will eventually be left with hundreds of registered prefixes most of which are registered by people who are not modding at all (some may have even completely abandoned computer games while we have been reserving their prefixes for years).
lroumen
Some mods just take years to develop and maintain, yet people do have these grand ideas on wanting to make them but get lost somewhere halfway there. I guess they get bored because they want to see the product finished and not stuck so they either let it slide for a long time or they just quit.
I think an expiration date would be a good idea.
Baronius
I agree with the posts above, but for the time being (especially because I have really limited time), there won't be any changes. There are still a lot of valid prefixes left (hundreds of free prefixes), and if their number decreases significantly (which won't happen in the near future I suppose), we'll introduce the new system (see point 2 at the end of this post). At the same time, we'll just start a period where the owners of really old (i.e. which qualify as expired in the new system) unused prefixes can contact us and take the necessary steps to keep their prefixes. (We will announce it on more forums and sites etc. so everyone will hear about them.)

If we wanted to implement the expiration date concept now, we would have two possibilities:
1) We have something that is already possible. Sikret, the database automatically puts the registration date even now. However, manually checking prefixes occassionally if any of them has expired is too much burden.
2) Extend the prefix database software to show the expired prefixes (and possibly send a notification about it). A little PHP work, but I really have no time for it (on a side note, I haven't touched PHP for ages so it's not really "in my hand").
critto
2) Extend the prefix database software to show the expired prefixes (and possibly send a notification about it). A little PHP work, but I really have no time for it (on a side note, I haven't touched PHP for ages so it's not really "in my hand").

Whenever you get to the issue, send me a message, I'll write the code. It is really the matter of one cleverly constructed SQL statement to distinguish expired prefixes from non-expired ones.
Cool Coyote
Hi everybody biggrin.gif

I'm back for saying that the #S prefixe is definitly unavailable. My NPC has been released since one year (Severian Stark) on LEGENDES community. Thanks you. wink.gif

About Kuronapo, I know her, she is a member of the french modding community LEGENDES ( http://weiducommando.forumsactifs.com/forum.htm ) and she is learning all about WeiDU. I'm helping her for developping the recruiting of his NPC Meian : I saw what she made on BG2 and sure, she must work a lot for understanding WeiDU but the fact is that she needs this prefixe for her mod. With the help of LEGENDES, she can release a NPC mod. I trust you, Kuro. Cheers. tongue.gif

Thank you all.
Baronius
Whenever you get to the issue, send me a message, I'll write the code. It is really the matter of one cleverly constructed SQL statement to distinguish expired prefixes from non-expired ones.

Thanks critto! I will contact you that time. The webpage should show which prefixes are expired (this is the part which requires some minimal php I suppose; just I probably even wouldn't remember much from its exact syntax, considering how long I haven't worked in it tongue.gif). Even the database scheme doesn't require any modification it seems, because from the current date and the registration date, it can be detected if it's expired or not. (Actually, I know I could give you access now, but the whole thing has some overhead -- I really don't want to login to BWL administration interface, configure access for a new user, etc.)

Cool Coyote: #S is reserved for a French girl called Ripper (the nickname). Are you using her prefix or are you Ripper herself and forgot the forum password?

#M has been registered to Kuronapo.
Cool Coyote
I'm Ripper, I changed my nickname on your forum because indeed, I forgot the old password. My author name is Cool Coyote and you can check it in The Chronicles of Severian mod. I'm Cool Coyote too on LEGENDES community. laugh.gif

Thank you. wink.gif

Armand
Hello, Ive registered for #V. I've almost finished my mod, I've just some correction to apply and I will send you a download link. Now, my mod call "les exilés de lunargent" and that's a quest mod which alowed to meet a new brotherhood very calculating and machiavellian (with a new area, a lot of npc, evil's quest...). Right, I think that's all...

P.S : As a french guy, I come from LEGENDES too, of course.
Anouchka
hi! I've seen that from now we have to give news about our mod, to keep our prefix.

So, I'm Anouchka and I have been given #X for my prefix

I'm french and I'm developping my mod on Legendes. Its name is Xune Amduval and I think it will be ready next year, maybe in september.

ps: Sorry about mistakes, it's been a long time not speaking engish!
Graoumf
QUOTE(Armand @ Nov 18 2009, 01:43 PM) *
P.S : As a french guy, I come from LEGENDES too, of course.

All french guys come not only from Legendes.
Kuronapo
Thank you Coyote for yours encouragements ^^

And thank you Baronius for the prefixe. I can't say today when the Meian' mod will be finished but I will work hardly every night so I hope it will be rapidly thumb.gif

++
Baronius
Thanks all. It looks like a wise idea to introduce the improved system as soon as possible, because e.g. prefixes of released mods are definitely not for expiration ever (so when there is a proof for a mod's public release, we will set the prefix to permanently taken, and when an author confirms/proves that a mod's development is still in progress, the expiry date will be extended). Critto, I'll give you access to the PHP page as soon as possible (unfortunately, this ASAP might not be in the upcoming weeks), and we can discuss the required changes on the application that time.
phoeunix
Oh my God, there seems to be a prefix crisis out there ! bigcry.gif

Quick ! Defend your prefix with your life ! There won't be anymore left ! angry.gif

More seriously, I think that the prefix reservation for 6 months is too short.
I mean, how many actual active modders have achieved their first mod in that period of time ? Not so much, I guess...
Especially when we're involved in a big project like a joinable NPC with the whole package or a Mega Mod. How are we supposed to finish a project like thhat in 6 months ?

By the way, my prefix is SF and I still need it. Yes, I'm still working on my NPC project so please, don't sell it too fast ! blush.gif

phoeunix, a French guy from Légendes, of course. (there seems to be a lot of French in here lately... 'Wonder who has spread the word... biggrin.gif )
Armand
All french guys come not only from Legendes.

Yes of course ! That's just a private joke between us.
Rigel
Hello i'm Rigel : the worldwide expert of bams laugh.gif, i know i've got a Tutorial to finish for BWL (i'm always working on it but got some problems to make screenshots in english) and i'm always working on my own mod since one year now (i'll got too one day to ask for a prefix but i prefer finish my mod firstival) which not make me appear as a great modder !

I come From the french community "Légendes" too and i would like to say that Kuro seems to be a future great modder, just think she is better than me when i started modding : she began modding two weeks ago and already work on cutscenes. Just want to say that in my opinion she will finish her mod and that it's not a wast of time to give her a nice Prefix ! thumb.gif

PS : Just want say hello to Sir-Kill who is a really nice guy and helped me so much in my ressearches on bams !
I'm a great fan of The Grey CLan ! This is one of my favourite mod i think (except the weird Mold golem which is hard to traduce in french laugh.gif) ; i know there is a second episode on work : i'm watching out fot it, congratulations Baronius !!!
Cargolin
It would have been much easier if anyone had made my own mod, but with me at the head, it will prove to be a little more difficult.

No one have heard of me before, but then again who cares ? I just hope I'll show you that I can do as good as my peers seem to do. This might be senseless, but I suppose I can make use of Légendes, at least for now.

By the way, my prefix is Y!

Regards ! From France with Love, if I do say so myself.
Baronius
phoeunix: before introducing the system, we will consider special cases as well, and if needed, they will be taken into consideration in the system. No one should misunderstand this 6 months: it doesn't mean the mod must be released by all means within this period, it's usually enough if the modder proves there was reasonable progress made. Finally, our policy will remain the same: we will encourage new authors to choose from new prefixes, rather than taking prefixes that are possibly used by other authors (who just became temporarily inactive, for example).

I'm a great fan of The Grey CLan ! This is one of my favourite mod i think (except the weird Mold golem which is hard to traduce in french laugh.gif ) ; i know there is a second episode on work : i'm watching out fot it, congratulations Baronius !!!

Thank you for your kinds words. No, unfortunately the 2nd episode isn't under development any more (it is freezed but not dead; none of the projects close to my heart are dead). I've stopped IE game modding for undetermined time.

About mold: it's mold in the meaning of "moisissure" in French. That is why the golem is green.
lroumen
QUOTE(phoeunix @ Nov 18 2009, 06:41 PM) *
More seriously, I think that the prefix reservation for 6 months is too short.
I mean, how many actual active modders have achieved their first mod in that period of time ? Not so much, I guess...
Especially when we're involved in a big project like a joinable NPC with the whole package or a Mega Mod. How are we supposed to finish a project like thhat in 6 months ?

In 6 months you could have at least a couple of plans ready and if you have great aspirations for a megamod I'm certain that you would find a forum somewhere to host. Once you get forumspace I don't think you'll be cut off since you're visible.

A small modder like me who hasn't got forum space and who has enlisted a few months ago with only minor aspirations should not need more than 6 months to finish something unless it is extremely difficult (I'm not done yet, but I'm visible through my progress in a thread I keep filling here in the modding forum).
Rigel
it's mold in the meaning of "moisissure" in French. That is why the golem is green.
I began modding by making my own trad of The Grey Clan cause i really liked it and was thinking "wow it's one of the greatest mod ever why its not already traduced in french!!!" and despite the fact that the Doghmatiques where working on it already with your agreement (i'm a rebel). So i've made the trad of The Grey Clan quite entierly and i traduced "mold" after big brainstorming by "moisissure " like you say biggrin.gif. In the french current trad made by the Doghmatiques "mold golem" is traduced by "golem de mousse"; "mousse" means its like a bob sponge golem or something like that laugh.gif; i'll speak about that detail to Graoumf the coordinator of the Doghmatiques or maybe you can change it yourself in the .tra if you want Baronius, after all it's your MOD; however the trad is good and it's a detail !

Here one exemple of a line from the current trad :
@77 = ~Animer le Golem de Mousse~

Too bad for The Grey Clan Episode 2 but maybe a day ! thumb.gif I know it's hard work to mod and it takes so much time...

See you one day when i'll got to ask for a prefix and i wish the best to you and BWL
Baronius
Hi Rigel! Since it's off-topic, I reacted to your post here. smile.gif
Hoppy
Hi Baronius,

Hope you are well and i just have a simple request regarding my prefix. I understand the reasons for having some information or project details for modders and their prefixes. I don't have any of my own projects yet but I will be the current maintainer for big mods like Region of Terror, Check the Bodies, The Darkest Day, Tortures Souls (Big Picture version) and Shadows Over Soubar. Most of this will be merely updating but I may use my prefix sometimes with fixes or compatibility improvements. Mostly this will make things easier for myself and others to see what was original and what I changed.

Thanks for your time and Happy Holidays!

Hoppy
Baronius
Hi Hoppy!

Happy Holidays to you too.

If I understand you correctly, you have written here to confirm that your prefix is (or will be) actively used. Thanks. It is no problem that it is not for own mods. If a prefix is used in a reasonable way anywhere, we consider it as a valid reason to extend the registration period.
Hoppy
That is correct Baronius smile.gif
Révérie
hello I'm a new french girl, I began a mod and I was wondering if I can use the prefix SH#, thanks+
Jarno Mikkola
QUOTE(Révérie @ Dec 22 2009, 05:37 PM) *
hello I'm a new french girl, I began a mod and I was wondering if I can use the prefix SH#, thanks+
I would advice you to take some other two letter combo, as the SH is already taken, look at the first posts link(or this) to know what's taken and what's not.
Baronius
Only two-character long prefixes are allowed, and SH is already taken. Please choose another one, and keep us informed about the mod's progress occassionally (e.g. you can open a topic about it in the Gathering Hall forum, or just post some update here in every 3 months). Are you also from "Légendes", by the way?
Révérie
OK so can I take RV ?

sorry, i speake verry verry little english, but I am in "legend" yes.

verry sorry.
Baronius
RV has been registered for you. Keep us updated about the mod (others from Légendes who speak English, please help her in it).
Auctor
Yosh ! Another french guy from "Légendes", can I take KM for my mod ? Thank you !
Baronius
(Is whole France modding BG2?)

KM is now yours. Please provide some information about the progress occassionally.

(Yes, the prefix registration service is functioning even on 31st December.)
Cool Coyote
This is the LEGENDES effect. At the moment, we are creating on about 10 mods.

All the members of LEGENDES won't forget to provide informations about the progress of their mods, don't worry.

morgain
I'm at the very beginning of a project (LISHOA) which will grow up (at least I hope so !) with the help of Légendes (France).

I've checked the list and the prefixe I wished (LI) is not available so could you grant me with LM instead (this one is free, if I'm not wrong).

Thks for your answer.
(And yes, maybe the whole France is modding BG at the time being laugh.gif )
Baronius
LM has been registered to you.
morgain
QUOTE(Baronius @ Jan 12 2010, 05:20 PM) *
LM has been registered to you.

Thank you so much.
DrAzTiK
Hi,

Can I take F# for my mod ?

I want to made a litle mod with add some encounters in BG2. Somethink a la Com encounters (and some composants will be inspired by this mod) but more customisable and without too much cheat, overpowed weapons, loot etc...

ty
Baronius
F# is already registered to someone else. Please choose another prefix.
DrAzTiK
ok so : Dr#
?
Baronius
We only register two-character long prefixes. DR is already registered to someone else. You can see the list of prefixes here:

http://www.blackwyrmlair.net/prefixes/index.php
DrAzTiK
D9?smile.gif
Baronius
D9 is now yours. Keep us updated about the mod's progress.
DrAzTiK
Thanks
Ardanis
Here goes some fun stuff that was discovered recently smile.gif

AG prefix, registered after me, was in fact used in AjocMod, even thoguh prefix list says Ajoc has AJ. All incompatibilities with Aurora's Shoes and Boots mod seem to be solved by now, so it's jst a note.

So, partially due to this, partially due to the fact that Aurora mod has grown much larger than I initially anticipated, I'll stick to AG#, while AG will remain Aurora's (and Ajoc's).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.