Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Community Filename Prefix Reservations
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mod development resources & discussion > Community Prefix Database
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35
jastey
Thorium Dragon: Sorry, your prefix requests "TD" gets in conflict with Andy Halfelf's "TDT".

LuckyOne: Sorry, but your prefix request gets in conflict with TheMindsEye's "LOD".
Baronius
'RD' for Thorium Dragon and '__' for The Bigg have been registered.
LuckyOne
Oookay, let's try a new one: ZA!
Baronius
You don't tend to be lucky, LuckyOne...
ZA would be in conflict with ZAL registered to Zalabar.

Wouldn't it be easier to check the list of registered prefixes and then to choose your prefix? smile.gif
LuckyOne
Sorry mate, for some reason the Prefix Page wasn't loading properly (I have no idea why -- mind you, my computer's been screwy all day *sigh*)

Okay, since no-one's registered is, I'd like to try to register LUK! as my prefix

*crosses fingers*
Baronius
As written in the initial post of this thread, only 2-letter prefixes can be registered.
I would recommend LU as a prefix for you: it isn't taken yet, and doesn't contain any special characters that might cause problems e.g. in WeiDU.
LuckyOne
LU would be fine, if it won't clash with anything.
Baronius
Added. smile.gif
LuckyOne
*Cheers*

Great stuff! Thanks, Baronius biggrin.gif
Kain
i like to register KN# for kain
Baronius
Thanks, registered.
drake127
Can you register me prefix "7f"? My nick is drake127 (surprise! tongue.gif )
Baronius
Done. wink.gif
drake127
Would not be better to rewrite list to database so it could be sorted? And maybe it is not bad idea to add column contact (not only e-mail, also www or ICQ). And actualize this list. Many of prefixes were never used.

d127Edit: I have tried to create such database and I have covert table to csv and import it to db so rewriting it takes about 15 minutes (including check and minor changes).
drake127
I have rewritten prefix table to SQL. You can see raw concept at http://www.dracolisk.net/prefixes.php.
It is only for testing purposes. This link won't be valid for long time. It is sorted by prefix.
Baronius
Looks great, I will contact you about this.
SnowKing
I may have missed it but if it isn't used I would like to register SK#
Thanks.

SK
drake127
QUOTE(SnowKing @ May 10 2005, 10:54 AM)
I may have missed it but if it isn't used I would like to register SK#
Thanks.

SK

SK# is registered by Amazor'dra from 26. 09. 2004.
SnowKing
That was the best one too, dang. I haven't seen CG# so could I register that please? Thanks.

SK
Baronius
Registered.
Baronius
http://www.blackwyrmlair.net/prefixes/

New, SQL-based prefix list is now available! You can now sort the list by clicking the arrow buttons.
Many thanks to drake127!
Miss Sakaki
I'd like registered "FH" please; my nickname is Miss Sakaki.
Baronius
Your prefix has been registered, Miss Sakaki.
Idobek
Is it necessary to have 200+ posts of "please register x" or "registered"?

I suggest you remove all the superfluous posts, leaving a "conflicts" post and a "recently added prefixes" post.
Baronius
Every user's requests are processed individually, and all requests are answered.
You may have a point there that old requests could be deleted but the forum's database can store these posts, I don't see why it's a problem. The last page of the thread is easily accessable by clicking the proper page-number link (or the new-posts link).
Fantasy
As far as I know the prefix R_ hasn't been taken yet, so you could please registrate that for me? My nickname is Fantasy. happy.gif

Thanks. smile.gif
Baronius
You have an interesting nickname. smile.gif
Prefix has just been added to the database.
Fantasy
QUOTE(Baronius @ May 27 2005, 11:33 AM)
You have an interesting nickname. smile.gif

Thanks. happy.gif

Prefix has just been added to the database.

And thanks for registrating it as well. smile.gif
Baronius
I thank you for registering. Good luck in the creation of your mod(s)!
Moonfruit
I actually stumbled upon this thread completely by accident after browsing something over at FW.

Anyway, I see that the prefix B# was apparently registered to someone by the name of Blitz, and that U# is mentioned to be reserved for the Unfinished Business project.

I just thought I'd point out that my Improved Battles mod, and it's in-progress successor (Improved Battles "Revised") both make use of the b# prefix. Also, my Ruad mod makes use of both the m# and u# prefixes. I believe the creators of UB originally settled on u! after discussing the matter with me.

Anyway, just thought you might like to update your page accordingly. I just managed to go and add two conflicts to an otherwise effective list wink.gif

Cheers
Baronius
Since I suppose you don't plan to stop using B# and M#, I also added them as your prefixes, with Conflicts. Both Blitz and Meira registered their prefixes at Black Wyrm's Lair.
I'm not sure about the projects of Blitz, but I see Meira quite often checking our forum so I suppose she is an active modder. Which can be a problem due to the fact she uses the same prefix as you (M#).
Moonfruit
Well considering the fact that I've been using these prefixes since early 2003, I really don't see any reason for me to stop using them. I was an active modder at FWS and everyone there knew very well that u#, b# and m# were prefixes used in my mods. The fact of the matter is that, until a few weeks ago, I had never even heard of Black Wyrm, so the fact that I never "registered" it here shouldn't make much difference.

Since I am continuing work on my mods, I will more than likely convert the m# files in the Ruad mod to u# ones, if only for unity and compatibility’s sake. However, I believe I have the right to maintain the b# prefix for the Battles mod.
jastey
QUOTE(Moonfruit @ May 31 2005, 11:12 AM)
everyone there knew very well that u#, b# and m# were prefixes used in my mods.

Well, obviously not everyone knew that, otherwise there wouldn't have been others using these prefixes.

The list is an attempt on organising and listing the used prefixes in the modding community, and it is a continuation of the prefix reservation list started at TeamBG forums. It was announced in nearly every modding forum when it was resumed here at BWL, so there was enough time to register prefixes earlier.

Of course you have every "right" to use every prefix you want, but if you want to avoid naming conflicts with other mods, I would recommend to use a prefix that is not on the list yet.
Moonfruit
I understand that. However, the fact remains that I have been using these prefixes for a little over two years already, and really have no intention of changing them.

Admittedly I took an extended leave of absence last year, and it would seem that it was during this time that the idea of prefix registration came to mind.

I agree that this list makes choosing a prefix for a new mod much easier, but one cannot expect the list to cover every single prefix currently in use, as there are more than likely others who do not know/care about this list. I do feel, however, that it is nothing more than polite for a new modder to ask around before choosing a prefix.
Baronius
I'd like to point out some important things.

Well considering the fact that I've been using these prefixes since early 2003, I really don't see any reason for me to stop using them. I was an active modder at FWS and everyone there knew very well that u#, b# and m# were prefixes used in my mods.
The fact of the matter is that, until a few weeks ago, I had never even heard of Black Wyrm, so the fact that I never "registered" it here shouldn't make much difference.

It doesn't mean anything that you have been using those since 2003 and that everyone knew about your prefixes at FWS. That time the Prefix Reservations list was at TeamBG and many people registered their prefix, so you should have done the same. Black Wyrm's Lair has been maintaining the prefix list only since TeamBG was closed.

So you should've registered them when you started using them. Also, towards the community it is more tactful if a modder endeavours to use as few prefixes as possible, not taking the possibility from other modders to use the same prefixes.
It is really just the question of comfort, because the same modder can always unite the filenames of all of his/her mods if (s)he really wants to (I was glad to hear your plans about m# and u#).

I agree that this list makes choosing a prefix for a new mod much easier, but one cannot expect the list to cover every single prefix currently in use, as there are more than likely others who do not know/care about this list. I do feel, however, that it is nothing more than polite for a new modder to ask around before choosing a prefix.

Do you mean a new modder should visit all sites and announce everywhere that he wants to use a prefix and that it is possible or no? Or should just visit FWS? laugh.gif
This is ridiculous. The prefix list at TeamBG was EXACTLY set up on this purpose, to control the prefix usage and thus help the modder community.
All in all, a new modder neglects nothing if (s)he checks the prefix list and starts using a prefix not on the list. The modder who uses the prefix (in fact, more prefixes) without registering it for months is the one who actually neglects.

Although as an exception made for the welfare of the modding community I had added your prefixes to the list , as conflicting mods are never good and in this way at least it will be known. However, mainly due to the Council's advice, I won't really make any more such exceptions in the future.
Meira
Actually I registered M# back at TeamBG, but the backup copy of the list in which BW:s list was based was of earlier date, so it was lost.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience I've caused to you Moonfruit, though I think that a modder should stick to one prefix if possible (community projects being an example of exception). I admit that I would not have risked conflict with you, if I had known that you had already used M#. With Morrow, I was not so concerned, since he/she had only made that one post at TeamBG forums and was not active / registered at other forums that I know of. Unless 'Morrow' is an alter ego of someone else, of course.

I'll take a look at Ruad's filenames etc. and see if there is a conflict. I don't know if you mean to expand him, but if not, you would need not to release another version just for new prefix.

BTW, I recently noticed that Maus uses M# in Vanim NPC, but since that's not terribly extensive NPC mod I'm not too worried. He did not use M# for Tashia as far as I know, but I don't know if he's used it for any German language mods.

M# sure is popular. wink.gif

Cheers,
Meira
Rabain
Does anyone know which symbols the game (and/or weidu) will accept in a filename? Is it limited to # ! ? Or can some of the lesser known/used symbols be used? £ $ & € and I am sure there are more?

Or is it restricted to generic mathematical symbols?
Baronius
I don't know but I heard somewhere that even ! causes some problem in certain WeiDU scripts.
As for your list, the Euro character is not in basic ASCII to my knowledge so it wouldn't be lucky to use it I assume.
Thot
Since the TH prefix doesn't seem to have been taken yet, I would like to choose it. Thanks biggrin.gif
Baronius
Good choice. wink.gif
Tameon the Dragoon
I'd like to register the prefix TD.

Sorry for the confusion earlier, Baronius, wink.gif
Baronius
It is in conflict with Andy Halfelf's TDT prefix (it was registered in TeamBG times, that time there wasn't any limitation on prefix lengths, that's why the user could register a 3-letter prefix).

But I certainly added your prefix, I haven't heard of any mods authored by Andy Halfelf (or any mods using TDT) so there is little chance that there'll be incompatibility. smile.gif
Tameon the Dragoon
Aw, shoot! I thought I gave the list a good run down and came up with a good prefix, too...

Oh well. Thanks anyway, Baronius. Hope this Mr. Andy Halfelf fellow doesn't get too upset...
kakitadairu
Hi Baronius,

I'd like to register KD as my prefix. Anything else I need to do?

Thanks!

Kakita

EDIT: Changed prefix to two letter KD
jastey
Hi kakitadairu, added your prefix. smile.gif
Vlad
VP - my prefix for all variables, scripts etc. in my mods.
TT - mostly for areas and scripts in Tortured Souls
NJ - mostly in scripts in Never Ending Journey
Baronius
Thanks, all have been added to the database.
Note: TT is in conflict with Tsabo_Tavok, but I added it because I see very little chance of any possible problems due to this.
LadeJarl
Hi, I would like to register the prefix TC.
Baronius
Sounds good biggrin.gif

Thank you, it has been officially registered.
5th_horseman
If it's not to much trouble, I would like to register 5H as my prefix, a quick check shows no conflicts
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.