Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Community Filename Prefix Reservations
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mod development resources & discussion > Community Prefix Database
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35
Zed Nocear
I'd like to reserve Z!, please.
jastey
Hi Zed Nocear, nice to see you here! smile.gif

I registered Z! for you, although there were some issues with "!" reported (that could be avoided by consequent use of the tildas, though).
Melissan
Hi, I would like to register "M-". This shouldn't conflict with the existing "M_", right?

I have been modding for some time (mostly personal stuff), although I only recently realized that I never registered a prefix for myself. I am beginning a total conversion project, so I should have my own prefix ...

Thanks.
jastey
M- is registered for you.
Sounds like a lot of fun. Keep us informed! smile.gif
SixOfSpades
QUOTE(jastey @ Aug 21 2006, 06:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Meridan 1 @ Aug 21 2006, 07:47 PM) *

Id like to lay claim to "7S" tongue.gif

Done.

Wait a sec--the engine can handle variables that have a number as the starting character?

Oh, I see--my bad. I was confused by the "#" and didn't see the "0-9" in the first post of the thread.

Could I change my "S6" to "6s," please? Sorry for the inconvenience.
jastey
Dang. No, I think a number in the start is nothing The Bigg recommended:
[A-Za-z_][0-9A-Za-z#_!-]*
[#][A-Za-z_!-][0-9A-Za-z#_!-]*

which could be expressed as:
Any letter or _, followed by any number, letter, #, _, ! or - character.
OR
A '#' character, followed by a letter, _, ! or - character.

Guess I was sleeping while registering this.

Thank you for noicing, SixOfSpades! Sent Meridan 1 a PM.

EDIT: Seems items (.itm) doesn't "like" names starting with a number.
SixOfSpades
QUOTE(jastey @ Sep 21 2006, 09:52 AM) *

[A-Za-z_][0-9A-Za-z#_!-]*
[#][A-Za-z_!-][0-9A-Za-z#_!-]*

Yeah, well, that description in itself is misleading, since the bottom row uses three bracketed "sets" to denote the choices for two characters.

I would post it more simply, as
[A-Za-z#_!-],[0-9A-Za-z#_!-]
1st character: Any letter or a symbol from the set #_!-
2nd character: Any letter, number, or symbol from the set #_!-
Note one exception: "##" is not a valid prefix.

Is that better / more accurate? I realize you can't edit The_Bigg's post, but I just want to be clear on this.
Baronius
If I interpret it correctly, omitting the [0-9A-Za-z#_!-] part from the second one would solve the problem, or am I wrong?

So the corrected text would look like this:
First possibility: [A-Za-z_][0-9A-Za-z#_!-]
Second possibility: [#][A-Za-z_!-]

OR

To make it more clear, I added "First possibility" and "Second possibility" so readers can see that those are independent from each other.
SixOfSpades
QUOTE(Baronius @ Sep 22 2006, 01:01 PM) *

First possibility: [A-Za-z_][0-9A-Za-z#_!-]
Second possibility: [#][A-Za-z_!-]

OR

Yeah, that looks much better. Death to ambiguity! smile.gif
igi
I'd like to reserve i1 please.
Cheers.
Baronius
It's now yours. wink.gif
St_Vitruvius
I'll be using StV, since it isn't used and it still resembles my username..
Baronius
STA was registered before the rule of 2-letter long prefixes. So St. Vitruvius, please choose another prefix. I checked the list, and e.g. 'SR' is not taken yet.
St_Vitruvius
SR it is then..

Just as long as I can be sure not to override any other mod-files..
Baronius
Added. Good luck in your modding!
Kitana
I'd like to reserve/register "XD", please.
jastey
Added. smile.gif
Mikos Valdemar
I'd be ever so grateful if I could reserve the M1 prefix.

I am curious if there's a reason numbers aren't used much as prefixes.

jastey
It's yours. smile.gif
plainab
If you're still keeping things up to date on this list, I'd like to register a file name & project prefix.

My choice: AB

thank you.
Rabain
Registered AB for plainab! smile.gif

@Mikos Valdemar: I assume people just prefer letters or some working on larger projects might prefer not to use numbers if they have a numbering system for files apart from the prefix and the having a number in the prefix would make things more confusing.
Tervadh
CM seems to be used by several Chosen of Mystra mods (not just Solaufein). I'm working on updating a couple of them. Also used is MA (Magnus) but I may rename those items to avoid conflict with Macready.

Also could someone add T- for my personal prefix (Miloch Tervadh). Thanks.
EiriktheSkald
I would like "ES" please.
Oldwolf
I'm reaaallllyy new at this but I've got a project in mind to try so could I have OW reserved please.

Thanks
Tervadh
Decided to use MN for Magnus to avoid conflict with Solaufein and Macready.
Also I didn't see DS on this list (used for Sir BillyBob's Dark Side of the Sword Coast).

Anyone still maintaining this list?
Sir-Kill
Did not see Solaufein nor SBB but it is not up to the list maintainers to go and find them it is up to the modders to announce it here.

Rabain will be back to take care of it of the list
Tervadh
Well I'm just trying to steer clear of conflicting with a huge mod that adds a boatload of items. DS is registered to a "Daz" but not DSotSC.

As for Solaufein, it is under CM (though I thought it was a Weimer mod, not a CoM mod).
Baronius
Sorry for the delay.

QUOTE(Tervadh)
Also could someone add T- for my personal prefix (Miloch Tervadh). Thanks.
Sure, it's now yours.

QUOTE(EiriktheSkald)
I would like "ES" please.
Done smile.gif

QUOTE(Oldwolf)
I'm reaaallllyy new at this but I've got a project in mind to try so could I have OW reserved please.
It's now registered. Good luck in modding!

QUOTE(Tervadh)
Is Magnus the modder in your context, or a modification? If I remember correctly, there is a person at Chosen of Mystra with that username. If it's the person: as per the rules, what I can do is to add MN under your username (Tervadh, or Miloch Tervadh). To register it under his name, he would have to come here, but I think there is nothing wrong if MN is registered under your name (because you would be his representative in that case).

QUOTE(Tervadh)
Also I didn't see DS on this list (used for Sir BillyBob's Dark Side of the Sword Coast).
Same here, I can register it under your username if Sir BillyBob doesn't request it in this thread.
Luiz
Greetings.

I'd like to reserve the prefix LZ. I can't see any conflicts and - naughtily - I've already used it in my "luizmods" package.

Cheers,
Luiz.

Baronius
Done. wink.gif Thank you for registering your prefix.
K'aeloree
I'd like to register the prefix I# for the Interaction Expansion Project - thanks! smile.gif
Baronius
No problem!
K'aeloree
Er, shouldn't it be in the 'Projects' section, since its not specifically mine but that of the project? *blinks* The NPC Interaction Expansion Project over at SHS. Thanks smile.gif
Baronius
No, it shouldn't. The Projects section is "legacy", the policy changed long ago: every prefix is registered under the username of the person who requested it. It doesn't mean it's your mod; it just means that you've registered it. wink.gif
K'aeloree
Okay, that makes sense. Sorry for the trouble! smile.gif
Baronius
No problem, your question was rational and justified. I would've asked the same too. wink.gif
Kamui2040
Hi,
since I finally decided to start modding, rather than just lurking/playing I would like to register 1K as my prefix, for my (hopefully) upcoming mod Evae NPC (actually 1KE but that's internal, in case i do any other mods).
thank you
Baronius
1K is not possible, because it starts with a number. Please choose one that starts with a letter (or anything that conforms the recommendations in the initial post of this thread).
DavidW
Out of curiosity, what's the motivation for these restrictions? I don't really get why numbers at start aren't allowed, and I certainly don't get what the problem is with three-character registrations: they don't block any registration that a two-character code wouldn't, after all...

It's not inconveniencing me, I'm just curious...
Baronius
Generally, it's not a good idea to start a filename with a number. Additionally, prefixes are used for mod variables as well, and these really shouldn't start with one or more digits.

I fail to understand what's the problem with prefixes of fixed length, especially because a two-letter prefix allows one additional order of magnitude of variations compared to the three-letter one that includes it. So if you want MOD as a three-character prefix, you can register MO.

Why the restriction? Imagine the following situations:
1. Someone registers XY. Now no one can register XYZ without prefix conflict. However, in most cases, after checking a list e.g. with a quickfind tool of the internet browser, the user will think that XYZ is not taken, and will apply for it.
2. Someone registers XYZ. This prevents anyone else from registering XY. In the old list, several such incorrect registrations were found, they were not marked as conflicting. (In fact, there were one-letter prefixes as well. They are now marked with "Global Conflict". Valid filename "prefixes" must have the prefix property.)

So it's less work for the maintainers, and the system is more consistent. It's true that three-letter prefixes provide a greater selection for modders, but there are plenty of variations left. (If I remember correctly, I made a quick estimation in this thread somewhere.)
pro5
As far as I can see "P5" is not taken, so can I have that please.
Ardanis
I would ask for AG#, if nobody minds.
Baronius
pro5: Sure.

Ardanis: AG is now yours.

garfield
I'd take YU#
It seems avalaible tongue.gif

thanks ^^
Baronius
YU is yours, so you can use anything that starts with YU, not just YU#.
garfield
Cool, thank you biggrin.gif
Kamui2040
And I thought I read the recommendations biggrin.gif
Since I don't see #K in the list can I register that instead?
Baronius
garfield: You're welcome. Good luck for your modding plans!

Kamui2040: Certainly. It has been registered to you. wink.gif
Tervadh
QUOTE(Baronius @ Dec 21 2006, 10:22 AM) *
QUOTE(Tervadh)
Is Magnus the modder in your context, or a modification? If I remember correctly, there is a person at Chosen of Mystra with that username. If it's the person: as per the rules, what I can do is to add MN under your username (Tervadh, or Miloch Tervadh). To register it under his name, he would have to come here, but I think there is nothing wrong if MN is registered under your name (because you would be his representative in that case).
Sorry, didn't see this earlier. To clarify: yes, I am using MN on behalf of Magnus at CoM, whose mods I've had permission to update. If he has to post here to confirm and get the prefix in his name, I'll drop him a note about it.
QUOTE(Baronius @ Dec 21 2006, 10:22 AM) *
QUOTE(Tervadh)
Same here, I can register it under your username if Sir BillyBob doesn't request it in this thread.
This is a multi-modder mod of large scale - maybe just listing DS for DarkSide of the Sword Coast in the global section would be better? If not, you can put it under my name, though my contribution will likely be minor (Red Carnelian and Sir BillyBob are working on alternate Tutu/BGT versions of the mod).
Baronius
We don't use the global section (its content is legacy), so I've just added DS under your username. Daz also registered it long ago, so there is a prefix conflict, but I don't think it has any practical significance.

If he has to post here to confirm and get the prefix in his name, I'll drop him a note about it.
To get it registered under his username, that would be required, yes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.