Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Random Questions
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31
LZJ
Oh, that was rather careless of me. Thanks Raven!
Shadan
Of course I deleted all illusion spells. I simply was bored in wild mage... I don't think it is overpowered or my game was easier at start. OK, I was able to make more buffs at low level cause of Limited Wish-Nahal, but it took too many reloads, and in fights I never was enough brave to cast Nahal, and sometimes my normal spells went to wild surge also, which caused some hard time in those battles. So I am bored, I changed to necromancer, and I was able to upgrade the Amulet of Hades. But first I had to rebuy the Amulet of Charon since I sold it. Ah, and I don't want my game wieved as legitimate... I don't write any experinces about this game here on this forum, I am just playing for fun, and wild mage was not fun anymore. smile.gif Thanks for help, LZJ anyway. thumb.gif

Just a side comment:
My former IAv5 party was this:
Vagrant
Blade
Swahcbuckler10>fighter
Ranger7>Cleric
Sorcerer
Conjurer

Current party
Wild mage/necromancer
Imoen
berserker
cavalier
R7>Cleric
Fighter/Thief

My former party was much much stronger despite of wild mage imho. Vagrant was stonger than berserker or cavalier. Custom sorcerer is a little bit stronger than Imoen. And Blade is much superior than berserker or cavalier. Blade was a really great tank, and superior dispeller.
I am planning v6 party even now, which will be I hope different from 2 of my former parties.

Sikret
Did you complete your previous v5 game with the vagrant protagonist, shadan? I remember that you were mostly talking about your memories of v4.2 in your other posts.
Shadan
Yes I did. Appr. half year ago. Was a good play and good party. Just my memory mixing sometimes what was in v5 run and what was in v4.2. Hopefully after a replay of v5 will make v5 memories much stronger. smile.gif

Here is my walkthrough link (check post #64 as my final report): v5 walkthrough
matti
Second drow ambush. bigcry.gif

They are killing and killing and killing me. SPOILER!
Dispel
on start is just sick (it's really unfair) and I've got a feeling that i am a victim of a sadistic hoax.

Any spoilers, plz??
LZJ
@matti:

The tactics which you could use are dependent on your party composition. Since I do not know your party levels and classes (esp. that of your protagonist), here are a few general hints:

SPOILER!
1) Put all your save-lowering items on 1 or 2 fighters, especially on your protagonist if he is one... this helps in shaking off the effects of Web.
(2) Try to take note of where the enemies teleport in. You could also try placing the weaker members/spellcasters further away from your protagonist.
(3) Potions of Magic Shielding ensure that you always make your saves.
(4) If your party level is too low, try crossing the bridge to do the Beholder Den and Illithid City first. Levelling up can help in improving your THAC0 and your saves.

I think Sikret mentioned that he will lower the difficulty of the drow ambushes in v6, though I'm not sure if he meant the 1st, the 2nd or both.
Apsis
Is there enough +3 items in SoA part of the game for the upgrades (Dagger+3, Flail+3 etc.) or do i really have to use my precious Permanency scrolls to forge them? So far i only have a +3 dagger which actually doesn't help.
SpellStorm
There are enough, relatively easy to obtain weapons +3. You don't need to waste Permanency scrolls.

A Cleric's Staff +3 when becoming Great Druid.
A Club +3 from the Copper Coronet Beastmaster.
A Crimson Dart +3 from the 1st level of Watcher's keep.
The Root of the Problem is considered to be +3 against unnatural enemies
The BlackBlood club, which may be bought in Trademeet, after freeing the city
The Frostreaver Axe +3, in the De'Arnise keep

There are two more items, which may be obtained early, I read about those in a walkthrough in the other forum:

The Short Sword of Backstabbing +3
The Rifthome Axe +3

And let's not forget about the spell 'Enchanted Weapon', which supplies your entire party with decent +3 weapons for 24 hours.

Excuse me, it seems you wanted information about +3 upgrade components, not weapons. Well, to my knowledge, there is a +3 katana in SoA, as well as at least 2 +3 longswords , 2 +3 shortswords, and 2 +3 two handed swords, but I don't remember finding a +3 morningstar, flail, halberd or dagger in SoA.
Apsis
Ok thanks for the answer yet I had actually meant components as you stated. A pity than you need actually three Permanency scrolls to forge some of these items instead of one.
matti
QUOTE(LZJ @ Sep 20 2008, 11:49 AM) *
@matti:

The tactics which you could use are dependent on your party composition. Since I do not know your party levels and classes (esp. that of your protagonist), here are a few general hints:

SPOILER!
1) Put all your save-lowering items on 1 or 2 fighters, especially on your protagonist if he is one... this helps in shaking off the effects of Web.
(2) Try to take note of where the enemies teleport in. You could also try placing the weaker members/spellcasters further away from your protagonist.
(3) Potions of Magic Shielding ensure that you always make your saves.
(4) If your party level is too low, try crossing the bridge to do the Beholder Den and Illithid City first. Levelling up can help in improving your THAC0 and your saves.

I think Sikret mentioned that he will lower the difficulty of the drow ambushes in v6, though I'm not sure if he meant the 1st, the 2nd or both.

Yeah, beat them finally, just lowered difficulty settings /shame on me wink.gif / After that i set it on core again of course.

But now i'm in desperate need of another kind of spoiler, coz i recently beat the troll mound SPOILER!
(pretty good fight, quick and straightforward, reloaded once, first time i underestimate them and the trollking just smacked my fighters with his HLAs all over the place, but after reload I smacked him and his queen)
and i SPOILER!
obtained armor, green leaves armor
wich i want to upgrade for my vagrant (btw. my favorite class in BG2, modded or unmodded) and my question is: where is this red coral gem? help.gif

EDIT/
OK, I found it! grinteeth.gif
critto
Hello, everybody!
I have kind of a "random" question. Is there any table or list of changes that were applied to joinable characters? I am not really into digging of the game resources, so if you will help me out, I will be most grateful.
Mod version - v5. So far I know that Imoen now is a sorceress (I totally agree with that) and Anomen's wisdom was increased. Are there any other changes?
I would prefer to plan party and wanna-to-forge list of items before I start the game, because I am not a fan of replaying the mod from the beginning if something is not right (especially when modification is so big and complex).
I read all the FAQ-type topics and did a quick search through this forum before asking, but I don't want to dive into reading deeply in order to avoid possible spoilers.
Thanks in advance.
SpellStorm
Well, the other changes in joinable NPCs are about their equipment upgrade, which is available only to some of them (check the Document Items file in the Documents folder about specific item upgrades). As for PC item upgrades, the Vagrant and the single class Necromancer have the best items. I will not describe the whereabouts of certain ingredients, but some of them may be collected only if certain conditions are met.

Concerning joinable NPCs, one thing comes to mind. In the vanilla game, all NPCs join at xp level, according to PC's current xp total. In IA, all NPCs join at their minimal xp, but some of them receive an appropriate xp boost immediately after joining. The benefit is, that you actually can redistribute all level up skills and proficiencies yourself. The drawback is, that not all of the joinable NPCs will receive such xp boost at joining, no matter how high xp score the protagonist has. I've personally checked about NPC which don't receive such a boost: Edwin, Haer'Dalis, Aerie, Cernd. I've heard of other NPCs which also didn't receive the xp boost, but haven't tested that myself.
critto
Thanks! So, I can be 100% sure that nothing has changed in NPC's classes or kits (except those things that are documented in "fixes and tweaks" file) ?

I also have a couple of starters' questions.

1. Concerning Haer'Dalis: is he going to complain that we are not going to Raelis with the gem after his rescue? It is my understanding that the Planar Prison in this mod is quite a challenge and is more suitable for 12-13 lvl party. So I want to be sure that I can take him in my party even if I am not going straight to the PP after that.

2. That is a financial question. Exactly how many upgrades (in terms of their total cost) I can do? Because after I planned my party I have looked through the list of possible upgrades and picked some awesome items (about ten things, maybe). Well, than I did a quick calculation of the requred gp and got quite a number: 1.2kk. Am I being realistic? smile.gif Is it possible to get such kind of money in IA? Even if I exclude those nice summonning items (like ring of Djinni summoning and others) it is gonna be around 900000 gold pieces. I never was a fan of the item upgrade mods, and in the vanilla game (that's the term for an unmodded BG2, right?) there're no problems with the money. So, what can I expect?
SpellStorm
1. About Haer'dalis - I don't know if he's going to leave after 10 days, like in the vanilla game.

2. As for the gold part: there are many new encounters and quests that include decent amounts of gold. The Wish spell is apparently a nice source of extra gold, and if you have the Multiple Strongholds component of the Ease of Use mod installed, certain strongholds can be very profitable, namely the De'Arnise keep, the playhouse, and the Thieves' Guild. The rarest resource in item upgrades are Permanency scrolls, so think wisely before using those.
critto
Thanks again.

The rarest resource in item upgrades are Permanency scrolls, so think wisely before using those.

So, the number of these scrolls is random from game to game ? Or their amount is fixed but the distribution is random? If it is the latter then how many of these scrolls I can collect exactly?

Oh, two more questions.
1.The installation readme says that only the first Baldurdash fix-pack should be applied. But I also have installed an "English-Language Game Text Update v1.2". Is it going to cause me any serious troubles?
If it will, is there any way to uninstall this fix? I backed up my "override" folder and "dialog.tlk" file after I installed, patched and "fix-packed" the game. So we can always do a "clean surgery" smile.gif Of course I can just re-install the game, but that's kinda annoying (all those CD changes).

2. The randomiser distributes items only between enemies' inventories or also between containers and chests, as well?
Shadan
Some spells has effect which increases with caster level. Is there any cap for this level if spell's description doesn't mention it. As far as I know DX/level damage is capped at level 20 (like Holy Smite). But what about 1 round/level spell duration? Does it last for 30 rounds at level 30?
Sikret
QUOTE(critto @ Sep 25 2008, 12:23 AM) *
Hello, everybody!
I have kind of a "random" question. Is there any table or list of changes that were applied to joinable characters?

Hello, critto!

Just check the mod's readme and the "Fixes and Tweaks" document attached to it in the forum.

QUOTE(critto @ Sep 25 2008, 09:00 AM) *
2. That is a financial question. Exactly how many upgrades (in terms of their total cost) I can do? Because after I planned my party I have looked through the list of possible upgrades and picked some awesome items (about ten things, maybe). Well, than I did a quick calculation of the requred gp and got quite a number: 1.2kk. Am I being realistic? smile.gif Is it possible to get such kind of money in IA?

If you play fair and avoid using cheats and exploits, then money is indeed a problem and you need to think well and have a financial strategy for how to spend your gold. This is by itself a cool feature of the mod IMO.

QUOTE(critto @ Sep 25 2008, 10:33 AM) *
1.The installation readme says that only the first Baldurdash fix-pack should be applied. But I also have installed an "English-Language Game Text Update v1.2". Is it going to cause me any serious troubles?

Yes, it will cause problems. Do a clean installation without the game-text-update.

2. The randomiser distributes items only between enemies' inventories or also between containers and chests, as well?
Play and find out for yourself. smile.gif

QUOTE(SpellStorm @ Sep 25 2008, 09:49 AM) *

The Wish spell is apparently a nice source of extra gold

This is plain cheat, which has been appropriately blocked in IA v6 (see the progress report for IA v6). If you want to play in this way and gain easy money, at least refrain from advising it to other players as if it is a legitimate way to gain gold.

QUOTE(shadan @ Sep 25 2008, 12:07 PM) *
Some spells has effect which increases with caster level. Is there any cap for this level if spell's description doesn't mention it. As far as I know DX/level damage is capped at level 20 (like Holy Smite). But what about 1 round/level spell duration? Does it last for 30 rounds at level 30?

The vast majority of spells are capped at level 20 regarding damage, duration and all other effects which depend on the caster's level. A couple of spells are capped at level 18 I think (it's how is it in the vanilla game) and a couple of them are capped at level 12 or other levels, but all are intentional and it is mostly mentioned in their descriptions. One of Auramaster's spells were capped (unintentionally) at a level higher than 20; it is already fixed in v6.
critto
Thanks, Sicret.
I have performed a clean re-install of the game without this text fix. I guess, everything should be okay now.

One more question: how can I restore default BG2 Imoen portrait? Of course, if it won't affect the game somehow (and I seriously doubt that; it's just a picture, after all).
Shadan
Can someone write me in PM if any of these items are randomized in IA? I am not sure if I missed any of them.
Items:

SPOILER!
Kaliguns amulet of MR
Periapt of Proof A. Poison
Dragon Helm
Girdle of Fortitude
Boots of Woodland (only ranger protagonist can get this?)
Mage Robe of Fire Resistance
Ring of Lock Picks
Gloves of Pickpocketing

Thanks.
matti
Darn, that illusionist from mystery of the shimmering light quest is a tricky biatch. Some spoilers, plz? help.gif

EDIT/
Problem solved. grinteeth.gif
Shadan
I can backstab with Treefolk's Arm, but can't with Crom Faeyr. Why? Will I be able backstab with Hammer of Thor? I waited this weapon with my F/T...
Kerkes
Wohoo... you cannot backstab with hammers, man. only daggers, clubs (not all!), short and long swords, scimitars, katanas, staffs qualify for backstab - the weapons thieves can put proficiencies in (not missile). I believe the best combo for a f/t (I used it in my last run with an evil f/t) is hindo's doom+4 main, grandfather off-hand. Hindo's does the most damage of all backstabbing weapons. Perhaps a stalker would do more dmg with JD sword, but I never tried it.
Hammer of Thor is a no-no for backstab.
Zarathustra
Mind you, you can have Crom Faeyr or whatever in the offhand while backstabbing. Chances are, your main weapon will strike first (if at all). That way, you can whatever passive bonus the hammer applies.
Kerkes
This true, 25str is good. But hindo's + grandfather combo will still do the best damage. + you'll have a chance to turn invisible and backstab again. "Assasination" is an ultra-powerful ability (hey, a f/t can have 8 attacks per round permanent, each of them doing 6x damage with asassination. Deadly.), and if your f/t is using Crom Fayr you'll be wasting every second hit (won't count for 6x backstab dmg), which is costly.
matti
Jeez...golems here, golems there, golems everywhere...the fight with Supreme Leader is just....insane! And he just won't die. WTF?
Kerkes
He will die.It's not an easy fight for sure. Actually, once I saw it for the first time, I uninstalled the whole mod because I tought that IA is crap tongue.gif .
It's actually quite doable. I can PM some slight spoilers but 'd try to do it myself.
matti
QUOTE(Kerkes @ Oct 2 2008, 11:17 PM) *
He will die.It's not an easy fight for sure. Actually, once I saw it for the first time, I uninstalled the whole mod because I tought that IA is crap tongue.gif .
It's actually quite doable. I can PM some slight spoilers but 'd try to do it myself.

yeah, i know, he was indeed near death when spellstriking my mage and then chunktified him beyond resurrection with his uber sword. that was after hmm... 17 (i MUST deal with him on core!) reloads when i tought i finally got him. and yeah, my vagrant and barbarian (the rest of my party unfortunetly pushing the daisies right now - what a rumble!) smack his ass for sure, the fact that he goes from near death to barly injured just in seconds after his fatal assault on my mage doesn't help him much. i've got the loot and his head under my belt and i'm ready to go for that dreaded improved orc horde but man, not without my mage! but no, seriously, i want my mage back, so another reload is on the end of the tunnel and your pm are welcome. grinteeth.gif
Sikret
Even though it's doable in SOA, this battle is primarily designed to be done in TOB. If you are still in SOA, I'm not surprised to hear that you have found it a bit too hard. It will be even a tad harder in v6. smile.gif
Kerkes
QUOTE(Sikret @ Oct 3 2008, 03:31 PM) *
It will be even a tad harder in v6. smile.gif

A Supreme Leader without a Supreme Golem!? Yeah, buff it up!! bigcry.gif
critto
I am playing the mod slowly now. I hope nobody would mind my thoughts here on different aspects? I don't want to start a new topic because I am not sure I am going to write often smile.gif Anyway...

Did the battle at slavers stockade yesterday evening:

SPOILER!
Am I the only one person to think that the infinite process of spawning the assassins is a bit annoying and goes against the logic? It was my understanding that Sikret relies heavily on the logic while doing his improvements. And it is quite logical to think that the battle with the slavers should be hardcore, because, well, if the slavery business is so powerful in Athkatla, than the slavers themselves should not be some weak jerks. But infinite assassins? Where do they keep 'em? smile.gif

Other than that, the battle was quite enjoyable. I was storming the place with my prot Vagrant and Valigar (10 lvls both), Anomen (12 or something), Haer'Dalis (10) and Nalia (11, I think). First of all, I tried to enter from the sewers but that was way to big for me. The battle was quite manageable thanks to the Anomen's chaotic commands and free action spells preventing nasty cleric's stuff like Hold. But things has started to go south when the enemy mage has dropped at the party bringing chaos to my operation and this is it sad.gif Nalia just don't have the right amount of the protections removal spells to deal with that fella. By the way, how do I exactly remove fire shields? With Breach or Remove Magic?

So what did I do? For the first time in many BG2 runs I decided to barge into that filthy den of evil from the front door smile.gif And it was quite fun. We managed to kill both mages, because cleric and slaver leader wouldn't get in our way. The golem was even more fun, by the way smile.gif Thankfully, Valigar had a pair of short swords with him, and managed to put this fella out of his misery. Though Valigar has hardly survived the process because of those damn assassins with their poisoned attacks.

And now my party standing near the cages, and I am thinking how to defeat the leader and the cleric. Anomen has no more CCs and free actions, assassins are hitting from the back, and it all seems pointless, but maybe I will think of something, because I don't want to load my early save before I have entered the building smile.gif
LZJ
@critto:

Hmm... I would normally finish up all of the unmodded encounters before I attempt the slavers' stockade.

As for your concerns in the first paragraph of the spoiler, try defeating Haegan first... he might have something which explains their presence.
critto
2 LZJ:
Well, I think I have already finished all of the unmodded encounters in the Athkatla. And all out-of-the-city areas are improved in one way or another. I was forced to leave the De'Arnise Hold for the better times, though I cleared about 2/3 of it. Did the druids grove (except for the troll cave and the ogre tower). And windspear hills and umar hills, I think, are way too challenging for my party right now.
Maybe I forgot one or two little quests, but they won't make any difference in terms of characters experience. So there's little choice for me but to accept IA challenges smile.gif
LZJ
@critto:

At your level, I would say that the slavers stockade is certainly doable, but an additional level could help if you find it a little too tough. Alternatively, you would find that Giant Strength potions can help a great deal in the early game, though you might find them expensive. Good luck! smile.gif
matti
Finally!! Supreme Leader is just a dead meat beneath my mighty feet while all my party members are standing on their ...well.. feet. Thx Kerkes for a very helpful pm.

Wow, that was hell of a fight! Onward into level 5!
Raven
Hi, critto,

QUOTE(critto @ Oct 4 2008, 01:18 PM) *
2 LZJ:
Well, I think I have already finished all of the unmodded encounters in the Athkatla. And all out-of-the-city areas are improved in one way or another. I was forced to leave the De'Arnise Hold for the better times, though I cleared about 2/3 of it. Did the druids grove (except for the troll cave and the ogre tower). And windspear hills and umar hills, I think, are way too challenging for my party right now.
Did you take a look at the suggested quest order I wrote (it's one of the pinned topics)? In that I think I recommend leaving the Slaver Stockade until a little later (although LZJ is right that it is doable at your level too).

The assassins only spawn under certain conditions. If you move through the ship and kill the main enemies quickly not many will appear. They will only seem 'infinite' if you stand around for ages just waiting. Also bear in mind that some assassins are there already (though not necessarily visible) at the beginning of the battle. Their presence may give the impression others are spawning faster than they really are.

@ matii: thumb.gif Good job!
critto
Hi, Raven.

Did you take a look at the suggested quest order I wrote (it's one of the pinned topics)? In that I think I recommend leaving the Slaver Stockade until a little later (although LZJ is right that it is doable at your level too).
No, I didn't until now smile.gif Actually, I did all the quests before the stockade except for 1st level of Windspear dungeon and Watcher's Keep. In fact, I even forgot about WK, because I never go there until after the underdark or even until the ToB smile.gif I think I'll pay a visit there, thanks for the hint.
Also, I didn't do the Lilarcor quest (couldn't kill the greater crawler) and Pai'na. Well, I will try and win the battle in stockade and then do all these small things first.
But there is one little thing. I have Haer'dalis and Valigar in my party, and Haer is already complaining about gem delivery. And it seems that Planar Prison is going to be very tough for my party at this point. I never actually checked, will Haer or Valigar leave if I am not doing their quests for too long? Well, on the bright side, at least Nalia stopped complaining after I have initiated the De'Arnise quest.

The assassins only spawn under certain conditions. If you move through the ship and kill the main enemies quickly not many will appear. They will only seem 'infinite' if you stand around for ages just waiting. Also bear in mind that some assassins are there already (though not necessarily visible) at the beginning of the battle. Their presence may give the impression others are spawning faster than they really are.

Yeah, I understand that they will stop spawning when I will dispatch of the key enemies. With help of Kerkes I figured that they are golem, mage, cleric and the leader. So, there are only two of them left. We'll see for how long smile.gif
Kerkes
@critto

I sent you a pm, but now I've read this post here so:
with +3 weapons you can do lvl1 of Windspear Hills without much trouble, just don't go for Firkraag, Conster or Samia
De'Arnise Keep is probably easier than Slavers Compound for your party. I suggest you do that completely first
Greater Crawler isn't hard once you figure him out,and Liracor is a great weapon
Planar Prison will be hell if you go there any time soon. Perhaps there is a way of "cheesing out" Haer'Dalis so he stops complaining, but I don't know which one is it, or if it exists at all. He does leave if you take too long, that's for sure.
I believe Valy won't leave, at least he never complained while I was playing with him.
critto
2 Kerkes:
Thanks for your PMs, they are being very helpful to me. Though it might be more interesting to discuss it here in spoilers so that the other players could take part in our discussion smile.gif

De'Arnise Keep is probably easier than Slavers Compound for your party. I suggest you do that completely first
There were some hard battles I decided to skip for the time being such as greater yan-ti when lowering the bridge, viper and iron golem guardians of the treasure, charmed soldier in the secret room.
Greater Crawler isn't hard once you figure him out,and Liracor is a great weapon

Well, I think that the THAC0 of my chars isn't good enough for him. My prot Vagrant has a pair of clubs (simple +3 and root of the problem) and he is hitting the beast successfully, but on very rare occasions. Mostly, he misses. I wanted to try Lilarcor quest after 1 or 2 level-ups. Anyway, I don't have a character who wields two-handed weapons smile.gif Most of my fighters are dual-wielding and Anomen is a 1hand-and-shield guy.
Kerkes
Uuups...sent a PM before reading post... IA masters, join in to kill Haegan and a nasty cleric!!
I believe you're having some trouble with Cleric and De'Arnise fighter since you don't use "Breach" on them. "Hardiness" goes down if you cast "Breach" on an enemy who has it on. It removes a great deal of Cleric buffs also.
For Thac0, use strenght potions, DUHM, etc.
For 2-h weapons....ahm... you REALLy should have someone using them. Take Keldorn or Mincs. Having 3 pure fighters is good for IA. 2 for dual wielding, and a guy for 2-handed. Some of the best wpns in game (if not the best) are 2-handed. Poseidon's Wrath, to name one.
critto
Uuups...sent a PM before reading post... IA masters, join in to kill Haegan and a nasty cleric!!
Uh-oh, double exclamation marks. Is it sarcasm? There is no need for that. I am just having fun playing this mod and discussing it. And slavers stockade is kind of special, because it usually takes around 15 minutes to finish it. smile.gif
Don't worry, I am not going to discuss Mencar's party, though I know it's gonna be challenging. I quite used to them being tough from Tactics or SCS smile.gif

I believe you're having some trouble with Cleric and De'Arnise fighter since you don't use "Breach" on them. "Hardiness" goes down if you cast "Breach" on an enemy who has it on. It removes a great deal of Cleric buffs also.

Well, I admit to not knowing that Breach dispells the hardiness, thanks for the hint. But about cleric buffs - I have already used the breaches on the mages (I was attacking from the front, remember?), maybe except one, and I am gonna use it smile.gif

For Thac0, use strenght potions, DUHM, etc.
Sure smile.gif

For 2-h weapons....ahm... you REALLy should have someone using them. Take Keldorn or Mincs. Having 3 pure fighters is good for IA. 2 for dual wielding, and a guy for 2-handed. Some of the best wpns in game (if not the best) are 2-handed. Poseidon's Wrath, to name one.

Yeah, I was thinking of that, but I really wanted to try Haer'dalis for a change (I usually have Minsc in my parties). Maybe I'll switch H'd if the things are gonna be tough.
Kerkes
It's not sarcasm. tongue.gif
Who did you breach in front? Hope note that gnomish mage... I believe the other mage can't be breached for some time due to his SI:abj.
As for Haer'dalis, he's great! As I see, you have Vagrant, Valy, Anomen, Nalia and Herdalis. Just take one more fighter for 2-h wpns (I'd take Keldorn, but I'm sure there are pepole who like Minsc more for IA). I'd also drop Nalia once I get to Imoen, cause I dunno like thiefs but like Immy a lot.
Don't worry about dicussing any fight here at forums (Mencar etc.), I honestly wasn't being sarcastic. I had to reload Planar Prison (when fighting it for the very first time in IA5) for 30+ times, so I dunno think I can be sarcastic to anyone here. thumb.gif
critto
Who did you breach in front? Hope note that gnomish mage... I believe the other mage can't be breached for some time due to his SI:abj.
Yeah, I was breaching that other mage (he's kind of a first mage though, and gnome is more of a side-kick smile.gif ). So maybe I lost some breaches, but some of them did their job. But it doesn't matter because I have managed to win this fight. Heagan sure is a tough one. Also, I got that hint about assassins from Heagan's body, but I still suggest that their amount should be somewhat limited smile.gif

As for Haer'dalis, he's great! As I see, you have Vagrant, Valy, Anomen, Nalia and Herdalis. Just take one more fighter for 2-h wpns (I'd take Keldorn, but I'm sure there are pepole who like Minsc more for IA). I'd also drop Nalia once I get to Imoen, cause I dunno like thiefs but like Immy a lot.

Well, I was thinking that having two mages (Imoen and Nalia) and 4 fighter-types should be more effective rather than 5 fighter-types and one mage. But I am still deciding on that one. Maybe I even drop Haer'dalis for this run. Also, without Nalia, who's gonna do all the thieving (traps and locks) stuff?

Don't worry about dicussing any fight here at forums (Mencar etc.), I honestly wasn't being sarcastic. I had to reload Planar Prison (when fighting it for the very first time in IA5) for 30+ times, so I dunno think I can be sarcastic to anyone here.

Oh, sorry than about that 'sarcasm' thing smile.gif
Kerkes
No need to aplogize. Congratulations for cpt.Haegan! I too would limit their number. Haer'dalis is practically a mage (he can also dish out "remove magic" like no other, tank, fight, buff your fighters....), he won' t be able to cast 9th lvl spells but with that bard armor upgrade he's more than powerful. I believe that you already know where traps are (you did play the game before, I assume). Cast "Death Ward" or "Prot from petrification" (depends on the trap, but very few will kill you outright. Actually, none, if you've got decent saving throws. Most of them won't harm you if you've got mirror img/stoneskin) and trigger them. For locks, "knock" spell opens everything you need to open. Imoen knows this spell. The truth is - if I wanted a thief, I'd make a custom dwarf (or halfling) multi f/t. Not Nalia, but that's just me. (I hate that "For the needyyyy!" line waaay too much). Jan perhaps? tongue.gif I actually prefer him over Nalia, even tough she's got a nice ring upgrade.
IMO, Haer'dalis is more useful then Nalia. But then again, I'm sure that many people would disagree with this.
Anomen may seem like a powerful fighter, and he is early-on. Late game, he practically turns in a pure cleric, so you won't have 4 fighters.
Firefly
Hi, guys.

I read the Cheap&Cheat file, and still don't get it why contingencies and triggers not to be refreshed in the battle. Enemies surely do this.

Enemy clerics cast all of their enchantments simultaneously when attacked, including True Sight sometimes. Is this fair? They don't have contingencies or triggers to explain it, and their enchantment spells have long casting time and short duration. By the time I buff my cleric with the last of his short lasting buff, usually the first one has almost expired.

Do you consider reloading for each tough battle on easy or core difficulty 10, 20 or more times less of a cheating than the cheats in this file? Sure, for newbies it's OK, but I see that experienced players also do it. From RPG point of view, isn't restarting from the beginning after being killed a more honest thing than constant reloading?

And at what difficulty do you play? Because, some items are surely made to work under Core rules, and will do little good on Hard or Insane. Like Oil of Resurgence.

I get it that if my protagonist is not a Ranger, I will miss most of the game. What if I don't like rangers (and I don't).
critto
2 Kerkes:
Okay, you have persuaded me, I'll take Haer'dalis and Imoen instead of Nalia when the time comes.

I believe that you already know where traps are (you did play the game before, I assume).

Well, I don't remember all of the traps, but the most nasty ones I sure do. Triggering the traps is doable of course (in fact, I usually end up doing it or just installing the "no traps and locks" component from EOU), but it is nice to go with all that thieving stuff once in a while smile.gif

Oh, I also have a question. Is there any way to raise Nalia's intelligence on early levels so she could learn additional spells? It seems that all the intelligence-boosting potions were cut out from the game. Why so?
Zarathustra
QUOTE(critto @ Oct 4 2008, 09:50 PM) *
[...] installing the "no traps and locks" component from EOU [...]

In the readme, Sikret strongly discourages the use of that particular EoU component, though he doesn't state the reasons.

QUOTE(critto @ Oct 4 2008, 09:50 PM) *
Oh, I also have a question. Is there any way to raise Nalia's intelligence on early levels so she could learn additional spells? It seems that all the intelligence-boosting potions were cut out from the game. Why so?

The only way I know of permanently raising anyone's INT in IA is Lum's Machine, which you probably won't be able to reach yet. I presume the temporary INT boosts were removed so that a mage's natural INT now actually has siginificant impact on the game (for scribing scrolls and the maximum number of spells/level). I'm quite in favour of that decision, actually.
Kerkes
@ Firefly
Enemies don't refresh contingencies in battles . They use them , but do not refresh them for sure.
Clerics do that prebuff "as if" they know you are in the area (that's actually quite realistic IMO), and the fact their buffs will last longer isn't that big of a deal. I personaly never buff my cleric will all that spells enemy cleric uses, I use what I need (4, 5 spells max). Besides, breach+secret word gets rid of pretty much everything a cleric has on him.
I, for one, reload a lot. When I was new to the mod, I had to for obvious reasons (I'll never forget Elite Bounty Hunter bigcry.gif ). Now, I reload because I want to try some different approaches for some battles, and of course, a lot of them are destined to fail. I don't mind anyway. Cheese? Perhaps. A must? Definitely.
I never played above Core difficulty, I'm not a masochist. biggrin.gif , so can't comment on how Oils are useful there. I heard that it's doable. I won't try it.
As for Rangers...you'll miss a very minor part of the game, actually. I also don't like rangers none, same as paladins - too "do-good-be brave-help poor people" for my liking. But IA is doable with any character/party composition, as long as it is well balanced. A f/t or a f/m is far more powerful than any ranger kit will ever be.
Besides, you'll get some extra stuff if you're playing a mage also.
So, if you don't like rangers, don't play them. tongue.gif Regardless of JD sword, Flail of def/wound, boots of imp.haste, IA is more than doable even without all that. I had the easiest run with a f/t protagonist.

As for Nalia's intelligence...aaaah. Haven't played a mage below 18int for sooo long. Now it's all coming back, all the reasons why I liked Edwin so much...

"No traps and locks" from EoU - I believe that this removes not only "mechanical" traps but also some enemies won't trigger (drow ambush perhaps?. I'm not sure. I know that it's noted as "completely incompatible" with IA so I never tried it) you might also be able to open some doors which could not be opened unless some things are done first (Bodhi's lair withot meeting Aran, Planar Sphere without Valygar etc.)

Zarathustra
QUOTE(Kerkes @ Oct 4 2008, 11:52 PM) *
So, if you don't like rangers, don't play them. tongue.gif Regardless of JD sword, Flail of def/wound, boots of imp.haste, IA is more than doable even without all that.

Would be a bit of a shame if it wasn't. Still, for a beginner (I'm still count myself as one, but only just) those items can make a big difference.

QUOTE(Kerkes @ Oct 4 2008, 11:52 PM) *
I had the easiest run with a f/t protagonist.

I'm quite surprised to hear that, actually (assuming you mean the run was easy because you had a F/T protagonist). What with the UAI nerf and the more limited usefulness of backstabbing and traps in IA, I never even considered taking along a non-dualclassed Thief (as in Thief -> X). May I ask what made your F/T so good? I would guess the ability to use scrolls still counts for a lot, but does that really beat the Vagrant's innate immunities and resistances?
Kerkes
@Zarathustra

Yes, it would be a shame if it wasn't doable.
I didn't use any traps, that's way too much cheese for me. I did use asassination and UAI alot. Very few oponnents are immune to backstab - just don't expect to hide in shadows-run-backstab lvl25 mage-run back. You'll need to alter your backstabbing strategies, but it works great.
Vagrant's kit immunities are basically completely obsolete by UAI, but you don't even need it. You'll find so many good armors (a f/t can use any full plate even without UAI), so those immunities are not that big of an advantage anyway.
UAI will be even more nerfed in IA6 I believe.
What made my f/t so good? Besides me, tongue.gif grandfather of asassins, Hindo's Doom, the fact he got evil after Irenicus in hell battle, 8 attacks per round permanent, he was a dwarf (that's +5 to important saves, unlike Vagrant +2 vs.Death) meaning he doesn't need that much micromanaging.
I'd suggest to try the class yourself and see just how many oponnents are immune to backstab. The fact someone can "notice" you even if you're invisible/in shadows doesn't mean he is immune to getting a knife in his back. Try Hendak or Samia goons, for instance.
Any yes, with all those nifty scrolls you find, a f/t is much more durable/better than Vagrant, and it beats Vagrant immunities by long and far.
matti
Aaarghhh, my precious grandfather, i'm give up on that cyphered note, my english is too poor to decypher it. Besides, my prot INT is too low for this task. grinteeth.gif

Any hints? Town? Wilderness? Vanilla area? Some new area? Do I must talk to someone first?

The second problem is similiar to the first - 48-sided garnet location.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.