Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Random Questions
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31
pekkae
QUOTE(Azoth @ Jan 13 2021, 10:10 AM) *
QUOTE(pekkae @ Jan 13 2021, 10:25 AM) *
I still have troubles with this.
I got a stone from the squirrel. I can access the Kua-Toa lair with it, but it just gets me a strange object "magical pull". I probably missed something, but the "old squirrel" doesn't really give any info on what to do next.
I tried going to Temple ruins and speksing with all of the animals there (but they just wish me well).
SPOILER!
You need to use the "magical pull" on the light pillar in Temple Ruins

Thank you!

Am I missing something? How am I supposed to put everything together?

ie. where do I find out that

1) the wardstone is for the Kua-Toa lair?
2) how to use the magical pull?

Thanks again =).

critto

I think there might be indirect hints inside the texts (dialogues, etc.), but it was always this convoluted. The new quest for the druid stronghold will be much more intuitive, and with journal entries to help keeping track of what's happening.
pekkae
QUOTE(critto @ Jan 13 2021, 08:09 PM) *

I think there might be indirect hints inside the texts (dialogues, etc.), but it was always this convoluted. The new quest for the druid stronghold will be much more intuitive, and with journal entries to help keeping track of what's happening.

Ok, thanks! I took screen cap's of the dialogues but I might have missed some nuances.

I though that this would somehow be tied to "twisted rune" but apparently I'm free to do that one. I really don't have much to do in Chapter 6 anymore. Mostly just

- Mage Stronghol #2
- Twisted Rune
- Bodhi / southern dungeons
- Chromatic Demon @ wk level 2
pekkae
Hey,

Is it possible to get back from Suldanessar in IA?

(In the Vanilla I think when you are off to Suldanessar, the other areas close).

So can I finish Bodhi and go to Suldanessar and still come back to finish rest of the stuff I have undone?

Thanks!
critto
The point of no return is the tree of life dialogue with the companions before the last stand-off vs. Irenicus. Until then you are free to roam the game world.
pekkae
Thanks Critto.

Does anybody have any pointers for Orcus?

I don't have the time to figure this out. My team is Necro, Minsc, Jan, Valygar, Custom RB and Cernd. (level 22-23 or so)

I get Orcus + 8 skeleton grand lords(?). That's doable. But then I get 10 Vampires (with 1-2 Vampire lords) or so and that just breaks the fight.

-> Jan is silenced (can't block this, even with SI:Abjuration).
-> Valygar is silenced, so is Minsc & RB (they can't use special abilities).

I can manage for a while with negative plane protection / can of course use limited wish as well. But still, level drain kills me.

-> Greater malision + doomed / hold undead deasn't work
-> I don't have undead specific spells besides Disrupt Undead (and that's just with Necro).
critto
I don't think I could be immediately of a great help, but one thing comes to mind is that this fight is the perfect opportunity to use those green scrolls of Protection from Level Drain. This is pretty much the last dangerous fight against vampires in the game.
pekkae
FYI> No help needed.

I had forgotten about the "protection from level drain" scrolls and with them it was manageable (5th try wink.gif).
pekkae
Hey,

The Githyaki camp (wk machine of lum the mad - level) isn't doable in SOA is it? I tried the fight a few times, after finishing Compass level but it doesn't look doable.

I'm doing the extended mage stronghold quests ATM. I did get the sandalwood from Bodhi but where am I supposed to get the bottle of wine from? And how do I activate the "wine and sandalwood" quest and the "ancient priest"?

I don't having anything in SoA anymore (killed the black dragon already).

Thanks in advance!
critto
WK has been known to be defeated in SoA, including the super-duper final Demogorgon fight. I am, of course, the last person to ask for tactical advice, but your best bet here is to quickly deal with the golem summoners and githyanki inquisitors (or whatever their names are). After that, the leader himself is quite doable even if requires a bit of grinding (this is patched in IAv7, btw).
lappen
Try to rush to the summoners.

Each summoner has a weapon type which deals more damage.

in General try to use lightning spells vs gythanki.

the Inquisitors are a real pain, just beat em quickly.

once the supreme leader is alone u will notice that his AC is incredible high so u have to use crits
pekkae
QUOTE(lappen @ Jan 25 2021, 03:30 PM) *
Each summoner has a weapon type which deals more damage.

Thanks! ^ This was the key to solving the fight. IT took about 4 hours (with pauses and lunch break wink.gif).

Dequ
On Readme/Adventures Windmaster is missing from list? http://www.blackwyrmlair.net/Mods/Readme/ia/adventures.html
critto
Well, strictly speaking, he also falls down under "Post-Firkraag Adventures", but I guess it could be specified better.
lappen
Hey guys

im thinking about a new run.
i finished the game once with a necro protagonist and a nearly imba party.

the party was Nerco, Korgan, Jaheira, Rasaad, Mazzy and Cernd.

i need some inspiration:

it would be cool to finish with a vagrant or with en evil party. Perhaps with the new added items for hexxat.
Is it viable ? and what about dorn. he has such low health pool. any suggestions ?
Can i combine Neera and edwin ?

so much questions biggrin.gif
and last but not least.
is it worth to start a new run critto ? im waiting during my pandemic hausarest for the new version biggrin.gifD no pressure
Dequ
I got new idea about party which I will try after my current run. Start solo with Inquisitor and do as much solo/vanilla content as possible to gather experience. Then when exp maxed out on these soloable quest/content (no abuses), then pick a nice 4 or 5 characters for party and enjoy high level dispel magic.
critto
it would be cool to finish with a vagrant or with en evil party. Perhaps with the new added items for hexxat.
I'd suggest avoiding evil aligment for the protagonist, but evil npcs are ok as long as you install happy npc stuff. IA isn't really friendly towards evil aligments. In the future, perhaps.

is it worth to start a new run critto ? im waiting during my pandemic hausarest for the new version biggrin.gifD no pressure

Well, the 7th version is deep in the works: the new quest is almost complete, lore-wise, but there's still lots left to finish, as well as testing and some recently reported bugs that I wanted to address before the release. So I can't really promise it will be out in the very nearest future.

So perhaps you can do that vagrant party while you're waiting.
lroumen
Time to run a bgee+sod game then.

Any recommendations for a druid kit as protagonist in v7?
critto
Avenger and Auramaster should both be good picks. I haven't touched shapeshifter and totemic druid, so they are probably not ideal.

I did review and update the shaman class, though, and I hoping it to be a fun class to play with. It will have access to the druid stronghold as well (which breaks the vanilla lore about the class but I don't care). I've been wanting to play a proper sorcerer-style druid for 20+ years, looks like I'll get my wish soon.

EDIT: in case you are considering to run the first game with a druid protagonist, I would recommend against it for I doubt that the kit would work properly after import. There's stuff that happens during character creation.
lroumen
I will likely play avenger.

The way to get it to work properly is: import as is, open editor, set the level to zero and remove abilities I should not have, adjust hp, then load the new save and level again.
On creation effects will be applied, thac0, saves and spells will readjust themselves.

Shaman though... I only like them if the summons are improved and when you can walk while summoning.
critto
The way to get it to work properly is: import as is, open editor, set the level to zero and remove abilities I should not have, adjust hp, then load the new save and level again.
On creation effects will be applied, thac0, saves and spells will readjust themselves.
True, this should work. I forget that the game reapplies all this stuff on level-ups.

Shaman though... I only like them if the summons are improved and when you can walk while summoning.

I actually didn't touch the summons at all. I haven't come up with a good tier progression for them and overall I consider passive summoning to be bad action economy even if you can walk around. I did do other fun things with the class, though. Play tests will show it better, but I'm hoping for the class to contribute actively in some unique ways.
Dequ
Is there way to start this encounter without being druid?
"Improved Challenge for the "Great Druid" title (1-on-1 duel with the Great Auramaster) — available only to druid protagonists"

like changing some variable to trigger it/make it available?
critto
These are leftovers from the unfinished druid stronghold that are most probably disabled in the current public builds. None of this will be present in IAv7. Just ignore this record.
Dequ
Few items I have not been able to find pre-spellhold in my current run:
Ring of Regeneration
Periapt of Proof Against Poison
Helmet of Defence
Holy Scabbard

Is it possible to find those pre-spellhold? I just want to make sure if I have missed something.
SparrowJacek
Don't forget that some items are randomised. IIRC there are 2 enemies which can get those ingredients - Dracolish and Master Brain boss. I am also not sure if you can kill both Green Wyrm and Supreme Golem. Just be aware that it's the Wyrm that has tons of ingredients.
critto
Periapt and helmet are randomised, not all randomisation points are available pre-spellhold. Holy scabbard is at a fixed location theoretically available pre-Spellhold, but you haven't done it judging from the journal thread. the ring is in Spellhold.
Dequ
Is it possible to start quest: "- Danger at harbors! " in chapter3?
crafted a Memory of the Apprenti and even waited 2 weeks and tested going all locations in docks at night time and nothing
critto
No, it's available only in CH6.
Dequ
Question about spellhold skeleton warlord count. I remember there were 24 skeletons on all my previous runs.
Is this changed, because now this run I got only 8. If this is bug, then I need to locally fix it by spawning 16 more.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/olj4h1f286xklmd/skeleton.jpg?dl=0
critto
No, I'm pretty sure I've fixed it intentionally.

https://github.com/critto-bg/ImprovedAnvil/...9f5398e7e20222d

In case you want to roll back the patch locally.
Dequ
Which encounter is this and how to find it?
"A new encounter in the island's main area"

I thought I cleared everything, but did not found/noticed any new encounters in Brynnlaw
SparrowJacek
Hmm, I think it might be that insane dwarf, who wields a +3 axe.
critto
It is, indeed.
Dequ
Okey that is it then. So long time since played orginal game, that I cannot remember which is added due to mod and so many feature added by mod fits so good.
Dequ
I wonder is lich Deirex even improved by Improved Anvil? Because in Readme there is only mention about Efreeti encounter in Deirex tower, but not about lich. Edit:Actually there is under General Tab "Improved Liches", so it must be a bit improved. It just, not that not very strong as a creator of Drow city Ust Natha.

Mystery of third color quest was really well made, it did fit amazingly well.
critto
I think he should be challenging enough for the party that arrived there without having done almost all of the content in the game :-) You're probably stronger and have better equipment at that point.
Badgerlad
Little bug i noticed during my current playthrough, wasnt worth making a topic out of it :

Pendant of Recovered Light, new item upgrade for Imoen, gives protection from negative plane. The icon is shown on her portrait.
However, during the fight against the Illusionist from the Shimmering Light quest, she got negative levels from vampire while wearing it. Other means of protection for other characters were effective though (Archon's, Amulet of power etc...)

I play her as a kensaï thanks to IAtweaks, maybe it has something to do with that.

If new occurences of this occur, i'll update this post.

SparrowJacek
Did you clone the repository from github? IIRC there were some problems with this item, but critto has already fixed it, I'm not sure it's updated in the package from the download topic. https://github.com/critto-bg/ImprovedAnvil/...r/ImprovedAnvil
Badgerlad
QUOTE(SparrowJacek @ Apr 6 2021, 07:42 PM) *
Did you clone the repository from github?

I don't think so... How does that work ? I mean, how do I install it, and if I do, will it apply to my current game ?

Noticed something else : forged Nalia's ring with her being fighter turned mage thanks to IAtweaks : her ring appears greyed-out as if unusable, but can't be removed even on death so bonuses apply anyway.
SparrowJacek
You an go to this link
https://github.com/critto-bg/ImprovedAnvil

Then click on "Code" button and select "Download ZIP", then proceed with the installation as you usually do smile.gif

Noticed something else : forged Nalia's ring with her being fighter turned mage thanks to IAtweaks : her ring appears greyed-out as if unusable, but can't be removed even on death so bonuses apply anyway.

Looks like legacy restrictions, EE introduced a new opcode to enable only selected NPC to wear items, so critto might update it. Anyway it should work fine even if she dies in your game
Badgerlad
@SparrowJacek : thanks mate, much appreciated !

Yet, if i already have IA installed - obviously - do i reinstall it once I downloaded the content of this link ? Seemed like it was the stuff I already had. Since it's a SetupImprovedAnvil.exe, had to replace the previous one I had, reinstalled, gonna see if it changes something.

Another thing i noticed during my run is on Green Wyrm. IIRC it's well known, well I think I saw that somewhere back in the days.

If everyone in sight of him is helpless, Green Wyrm stops moving, doesn't look for anyone to attack and just stands there.
I don't believe this is intended, or is it ?
Badgerlad
Regarding Nalia's upgraded ring being "unusuable" even if she has it equipped, it then prevents her from leveling up, with a message "unusable item equipped that can't be dropped".

I'm fairly sure it's because of her being fighter turned mage thanks to IATweaks, but well, just letting you know.
critto
Jacek is right, the "bleeding edge" version contains fixes for Imoen's items. They came a bit later than 6.52. Grabbing a new distribution like Jacek described (code -> download zip) will get you this copy.

Yet, if i already have IA installed - obviously - do i reinstall it once I downloaded the content of this link ? Seemed like it was the stuff I already had. Since it's a SetupImprovedAnvil.exe, had to replace the previous one I had, reinstalled, gonna see if it changes something.
Should be OK. The exe file is identical to the one you've had (it's just a renamed copy of weidu.exe), what matters are the updated files inside the ImprovedAnvil folder.

Regarding Nalia's upgraded ring being "unusuable" even if she has it equipped, it then prevents her from leveling up, with a message "unusable item equipped that can't be dropped".

I'm fairly sure it's because of her being fighter turned mage thanks to IATweaks, but well, just letting you know.

Could you send me a save game to investigate? You're probably right about the issue with the ring.
Badgerlad
QUOTE(critto @ Apr 7 2021, 07:24 AM) *
Could you send me a save game to investigate? You're probably right about the issue with the ring.

Sure, lemme know how to do that though : D
"Fixed it" giving UAI to Nalia with EE, but I got several earlier saves.
SparrowJacek
You can send a private message to Critto. Upload a zip file with your save and paste a link to it in the message. I think that's the easiest way to do it.
Badgerlad
QUOTE(SparrowJacek @ Apr 7 2021, 01:13 PM) *
You can send a private message to Critto. Upload a zip file with your save and paste a link to it in the message. I think that's the easiest way to do it.

It's been 10 years since i last uploaded a file, gotta check how it's done !

And random question : SPOILER!
Is officer Auriel intendedly immune to Maze spell now ? Managed the good bad ugly end fight last night, but how is this even supposed to be done without an Auramaster and Wish for rest ? (I guess u take Cernd on a Vagrant run anyway just to have 1 unsilencable... but well !)
SparrowJacek
Is officer Auriel intendedly immune to Maze spell now ?

Yes, many people just mazed her which made the main idea of the fight pointless. I am not sure how hard this is now, but I hope you can use minions to distract enemies or surround Auriel, so she can't participate in the fight biggrin.gif
Dequ
Limak´s brain seems to dissappear when entering Cromwell.

Is there any alternative way to start Story of The Old One without being (only if your main PC is a single class good-aligned necromancer). Like spawn that npc and change variables?
This solved. Found out way to start. Oh man, this encounter will be challenging for my necromancer/barbarian, because no access on improved alacrity.

Also any tips, I got both paper half and now I need to decode Cyphered note, any tips for it?
Badgerlad
QUOTE(SparrowJacek @ Apr 8 2021, 06:33 PM) *
]
Yes, many people just mazed her which made the main idea of the fight pointless. I am not sure how hard this is now, but I hope you can use minions to distract enemies or surround Auriel, so she can't participate in the fight biggrin.gif

Actually : SPOILER!
her spawn point is close to a wall (i didnt remember it to be that close), and she's locked there with Ultra and Elemental who keep focusing her no matter what you do. And she does stick to them either way, she keeps on Ultra the whole fight, and it takes about 1,5 round to take her down for them. I mean, she looks scripted to stick to Ultra, and she might be using a staff, it looks like she's hitting from dagger range : no way for her not to get aggro. And the wall makes it hard for you to find a room to distract enemies, if you want to remotely dps decently the ultra.
I managed to keep 2 of the 3 elementals away from her and party thanks to summons, but she got one elemental perma on her back the whole fight, and Ultra who switches aggro sometimes to remove half HP of one of your characters in one shot.
To put it in a nutshell, they basically spawn ON HER, and they're all three stuck to a wall. The way I remember the fight was more of an open field where u could move her around a bit. Looks changed.

I found a way around which includes a good positionning for Cernd, amulet of power, and aura cleansin . Yet, the fight is so long you do rely on luck to get 1 if not 2 wishes for rest. And I'm not talking about Natural Restorals, you'd need like.. 20 instances of it ahah

Got a question regarding one of the JD fights :

SPOILER!
Im into a few reloads already with the Demon Lord fight (the one with the blood for JD). Last time I went for this fight was few years ago, can't remember if the Death Lords spawn endlessly, or if at some point the Lord runs out of them ? If he does run out at some point, how much waves do I have to endure ?
Can't dispel Demon Lord's AI too btw, but that definitely looks intended
critto
Limak´s brain seems to dissappear when entering Cromwell.
If you spend too much time with in the inventory, it rots and therefore disappears. I have learned that this feature exists not so long ago myself.

Also any tips, I got both paper half and now I need to decode Cyphered note, any tips for it?

Each number has a corresponding letter assigned to it. Start by taking a guess at what 1-7-3 might mean. With these letters, the rest should be pretty easy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.