Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unfixed bugs of vanilla game
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Sikret
Hi,

If you happen to find any new bugs in the original game which are not yet fixed by IA, please report them to me either via PMs or by sending them here in this thread.

Before sending any reports, make sure that you have already installed Baldurdash TOB Fixpack v1.12 (no other fixpacks) as well as the newest version of Improved Anvil. Also, make sure that you have followed IA's installation instructions very precisely.

Thanks in advance
Raven
Enemy mages cast Globe of Invulnerability then Spider Swarm targeted on themselves, which fails because of the Globe. Rayic Gethras is one mage who does this (if he lasts long enough smile.gif )
Sikret
QUOTE(Raven @ May 20 2007, 07:07 PM) *
Enemy mages cast Globe of Invulnerability then Spider Swarm targeted on themselves, which fails because of the Globe. Rayic Gethras is one mage who does this (if he lasts long enough smile.gif )

Just fixed the problem in Rayic's script.

By the way, thanks for sending this report here in this thread (rather than the IA bug thread), because none of IA's improved mages have such a problem in their scripts.

devSin
These will always fail. The problem is with the way the engine handles external targets run on the caster -- the ability and effect are set to target elsewhere, but the actual summoning effects "link" back to the caster (out of necessity; the engine needs to target the caster to determine the allegiance of the summoned character). Normally, effects that target self bypass these sorts of resistances, but trying to affect the caster when the caster isn't the target doesn't correctly bypass the immunities (even though the script has it cast on the caster, the engine still treats it differently).

In short, the spell will fail even if the target is an enemy or a point on the ground. You'll see this behavior if you have Imoen cast Minor Globe and then try to cast Monster Summoning (you should get the "Spell Ineffective" message). The solution is to set the power level for these types of effects to 0 (thereby allowing them to bypass the immunity to spell level effects of the globe). This won't resolve the problem when the protection is a Spell Immunity or other spell that doesn't protect by spell level, but it should fix the Globe of Invulnerability funk.

I believe the fixpack fixes this (along with some other power issues that can cause problems).
Sikret
QUOTE(devSin @ May 20 2007, 07:42 PM) *
These will always fail. The problem is with the way the engine handles external targets run on the caster -- the ability and effect are set to target elsewhere, but the actual summoning effects "link" back to the caster (out of necessity; the engine needs to target the caster to determine the allegiance of the summoned character). Normally, effects that target self bypass these sorts of resistances, but trying to affect the caster when the caster isn't the target doesn't correctly bypass the immunities (even though the script has it cast on the caster, the engine still treats it differently).

I know this. I fixed it but not by changing the spell's target.
Raven
QUOTE(Sikret @ May 20 2007, 03:59 PM) *

By the way, thanks for sending this report here in this thread (rather than the IA bug thread), because none of IA's improved mages have such a problem in their scripts.

No problem. I realized that was the case.

Something else: I'm not sure this is a bug but Barbarian Rage imposes a penalty of 2 points on save vs. spell. IMHO this should be a 2 point bonus on saves vs. spells (i.e. reduce save by 2 points). I don't believe the Barbarian's enraged state should make him/her more vulnerable to magic.

I wanted to post this here so it could be discussed, since I'm not sure I'm right...
Sikret
Barbarian rage's description in the game is ambiguous. It says:

"Gives a 2 point Armor Class penalty and a +2 to saves vs. Magic".

It seems that it should be interpreted it as "a +2 penalty to saves vs. Magic" unless we find other evidence to believe in the opposite. The ability actually gives 2 points of penalty to saves vs. magic in the game, which confirms the interpretation that it meant to be a penalty.
leonidas
NEVAZIAH.CRE (the lich you fight in edwin's nether scroll quest) is bugged atm. It's actually a combination of IA and his vanilla bg2 script. But it felt on-topic, so I'll post it here.

He has a similar issue to rayic gethras; he will cast monster summoning 3 and animate dead, but neither work because he is immune to level 5 spells. Also (and I will double-check this) when IA is installed, he gains massive innate damage resistances (and regeneration) that make him immune to all but crushing damage (and he is still about 75% resistant to that). So he becomes ridiculously tough to kill for a mob worth 8k xp.
Sikret
QUOTE(leonidas @ May 20 2007, 10:31 PM) *
NEVAZIAH.CRE (the lich you fight in edwin's nether scroll quest) is bugged atm. It's actually a combination of IA and his vanilla bg2 script. But it felt on-topic, so I'll post it here.

He actually doesn't use any of the IA scripts. It's just his own script of the vanilla game.
He has a similar issue to rayic gethras; he will cast monster summoning 3 and animate dead, but neither work because he is immune to level 5 spells.

I'll fix his script.

Also (and I will double-check this) when IA is installed, he gains massive innate damage resistances (and regeneration) that make him immune to all but crushing damage (and he is still about 75% resistant to that). So he becomes ridiculously tough to kill for a mob worth 8k xp.

Yes, unlike other liches, he already had damage resistance in the vanilla game and it stacks with the resistance IA gives to all liches. I will fix this too. Thanks for the report.

thetruth
QUOTE(Sikret @ May 20 2007, 05:53 PM) *

Barbarian rage's description in the game is ambiguous. It says:

"Gives a 2 point Armor Class penalty and a +2 to saves vs. Magic".

It seems that it should be interpreted it as "a +2 penalty to saves vs. Magic" unless we find other evidence to believe in the opposite. The ability actually gives 2 points of penalty to saves vs. magic in the game, which confirms the interpretation that it meant to be a penalty.

I don't think that it can be misinterpreted Sikret. The penalty refers only to the AC. IMO you should fix it. (makes more sense either if it's a bonus to the save vs. Magic).
leonidas
QUOTE(thetruth @ May 21 2007, 01:45 PM) *

I don't think that it can be misinterpreted Sikret. The penalty refers only to the AC. IMO you should fix it. (makes more sense either if it's a bonus to the save vs. Magic).

I concur, if you look at rings of protection for example, they also say +1 bonus to saves, when in actual fact they reduce them (make them better).

Don't think there is much ambiguity, rather just an out-and-out bug.
Sikret
The problem is that in other cases (such as Improved Invisibility) AC and saves move in the same direction. You get bonus to AC, you get bonus to saves. I don't see what kind of change in a character's conditions may cause penalty to AC but bonus to saving throws. You either become angry and careless about your defence or you become more focused and more careful about your defence. In either case, the AC and saves should be modified in the same direction. Hence, I still have reservations/hesitation to accept that it is a bug. I'm open to more arguments, of course.
Raven
QUOTE(Sikret @ May 21 2007, 04:47 PM) *

The problem is that in other cases (such as Improved Invisibility) AC and saves move in the same direction. You get bonus to AC, you get bonus to saves. I don't see what kind of change in a character's conditions may cause penalty to AC but bonus to saving throws. You either become angry and careless about your defence or you become more focused and more careful about your defence. In either case, the AC and saves should be modified in the same direction. Hence, I still have reservations/hesitation to accept that it is a bug. I'm open to more arguments, of course.

My idea of Barbarian rage is that the character psyches themselves up into a frenzy. While physically they are easier to hit their heightened mental state allows them to shrug off the effects of harmful magic with greater ease. This is represented by the immunities granted and, I believe, by a save bonus.

I personally don't think it makes sense to have immunity to many spells/effects - hold, charm and so on - but yet a penalty against other spells!

But Sikret I can see where you are coming from on this and I understand completely if you don't want to make any change.
thetruth
QUOTE(Sikret @ May 21 2007, 05:47 PM) *

The problem is that in other cases (such as Improved Invisibility) AC and saves move in the same direction.

Yes and in this case it is stated clearly in the description, that it's a bonus to AC and the saving throws, like clear is IMO the + (=bonus) to the s.throws of the Barbarian's Rage ability.

You get bonus to AC, you get bonus to saves. I don't see what kind of change in a character's conditions may cause penalty to AC but bonus to saving throws. You either become angry and careless about your defence or you become more focused and more careful about your defence. In either case, the AC and saves should be modified in the same direction.

What makes me wondering is if it's correct the +2 AC penalty.
For Berserkers there is a bonus (-2) to AC while enraged so it doesn't make much sense.

But for the saving throw I am sure that it's a bonus, since an enraged character can avoid the effects of many spells (mainly mind-affecting spells).
(as stated also in 2ed books)
Arkain
Although it's another set of rules the Barbarian Rage's explanation of D&D 3.X clearly states that the raging character gains a bonus to some saving throws and a penalty to his AC: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/barbarian.htm#rage

My idea of a rage is the same as Raven's: the character enters a stage of frenzy, attacking with more strength and brutally. As he is so enraged and focused on... whatever... he is able to withstand the negative effects of certain spells or other magical effects. Due to this the AC penalty occurs: the barbarian attacks with more brutality (strength), has a higher threshold of pain (more con -> HP) etc.. As he ignores most other things than combat and killing he also tends to ignore his defense a bit more, so he may get hit by an attack he might have been able to avoid before (for example: he would have backed off a bit then charged again at the foe, but in this case he simply charged and charged some more so he got hit while relentlessly attacking the opponent).
luan
Unrelated to the Barbarian rage discussion:

You can sell equipment to Sister Farielle in the temple Waukeen, Saradush for extremely high prices. Her rates feel like 3x/4x more than any SoA counterpart stores.

I'll post more if I find other instances of shopkeepers with this quirk.
Sikret
QUOTE(thetruth @ May 21 2007, 08:50 PM) *
But for the saving throw I am sure that it's a bonus, since an enraged character can avoid the effects of many spells (mainly mind-affecting spells).

If anyone can present a related quote from a 2nd edition text, it can help us to decide.

Sikret
QUOTE(luan @ May 22 2007, 08:21 AM) *
Unrelated to the Barbarian rage discussion:

You can sell equipment to Sister Farielle in the temple Waukeen, Saradush for extremely high prices. Her rates feel like 3x/4x more than any SoA counterpart stores.

I'll post more if I find other instances of shopkeepers with this quirk.

Thanks, luan!

Please compare these three stores for me regarding their buying prices:

1- Sister Farielle

2- Temple of Sekolah

3- Ribald's special store (not his ordinary one)

For example tell me how much each of them buy a diamond if your reputation is 20.

luan
Will do, however... where is the Temple of Sekolah?
Sikret
QUOTE(luan @ May 22 2007, 11:27 AM) *
Will do, however... where is the Temple of Sekolah?

It's in the city of caverns (the underwater city).

thetruth
QUOTE(Sikret @ May 22 2007, 07:46 AM) *

If anyone can present a related quote from a 2nd edition text, it can help us to decide.

I don't think that the Barbarian had a rage ability in 2nd ed. (at least I didn't find anything in his kit description in the Complete Fighter's Handbook)

But (from the same book) the Berserker's rage ability grants immunity/bonuses to some spells:

(1) He is immune (no Saving Throw is necessary) to the wizard spells charm person, friends, hypnotism, sleep, irritation, ray of enfeeblement, scare, geas, and the clerical spells command, charm person or mammal, enthrall, cloak of bravery, and symbol.
(2) He gets a +4 to save against the wizard spells blindness, Tasha's uncontrollable hideous laughter, hold person, charm monster, and confusion, and the clerical spells hold person and hold animal.
(3) The emotion spell has no effect on the Berserker

And no penalties to his s.throws are mentioned in the hindrances of the ability.

Also there is no mention at all about bonuses or penalties to his AC.
luan
Diamond (1)

With a newly created character, charisma 12, reputation 20,
from SOA using console to warp around

1) Sister Farielle:
Sell 550gp
Buy 1080gp

2) Priestess of Sekolah
Sell 500gp
Buy 840gp

3) Ribald's special store
Don't know variable to access

Using my TOB character, charisma 15, reputation 20
1) Sister Farielle
Sell 550gp
Buy 930gp

2) Priestess of Sekolah
Dead!

3) Ribald's special store
Sell 550gp
Buy 990gp

The numbers generally look pretty consistent.

I think I've determined what made the prices so inflated in my game. For the entire play through I've been using one particular vendor (thieves stronghold) exclusively.

Guess the game takes into accounts for prices relative to how many items are in stock.

So... I was originally selling Full Plates at 1200gp, so it was quite a shock to see it a possibility to sell for 3k+!
I just checked Ribald for Full Plates and was able to catch a deal of 3300gp... with some in stock.

This was player oversight, I apologize.
Guess next time around I'll have much more gold to use for upgrades... hah!
thetruth
QUOTE(Sikret @ May 22 2007, 07:51 AM) *

Please compare these three stores for me regarding their buying prices:

1- Sister Farielle

2- Temple of Sekolah

3- Ribald's special store (not his ordinary one)

For example tell me how much each of them buy a diamond if your reputation is 20.

Yes the priestess in the Sahuagin city has the best prices in the game.

From D.Simpson's walkthrough:

In the Sahuagin City, I discovered that I was able to sell gems to
the temple for 4/3 of the price at which they could be bought back. For
example, I could sell a rogue stone for 4000 gold, and buy it back for
3000. At this time I had 18 charisma and 20 reputation. I could've had
unlimited gold here, but that seemed to be cheating, so I just sold my
rogue stone collection and left it at that. This place also has a nice
collection of spells to buy with all the money from gems.

Another merchant who has much better prices than the others is the smuggler in the cave in Amkethran (the one that sells the Gargoyle's boots and other items).
Sikret
QUOTE(luan @ May 22 2007, 12:16 PM) *
The numbers generally look pretty consistent.

This was player oversight, I apologize.

No, no! On the contrary, I think that you made a good point. I knew that those three stores would offer more or less similar or consistent prices, but that's because those three stores have unreasonable prices. It doesn't mean that you were wrong.

Please test the price of diamond (with the same parties) in Ribald's ordinary store as well. Tell me the result and we can compare the stores together.

Sikret
QUOTE(thetruth @ May 22 2007, 12:16 PM) *
QUOTE(Sikret @ May 22 2007, 07:46 AM) *

I don't think that the Barbarian had a rage ability in 2nd ed. (at least I didn't find anything in his kit description in the Complete Fighter's Handbook)

But (from the same book) the Berserker's rage ability grants immunity/bonuses to some spells:

(1) He is immune (no Saving Throw is necessary) to the wizard spells charm person, friends, hypnotism, sleep, irritation, ray of enfeeblement, scare, geas, and the clerical spells command, charm person or mammal, enthrall, cloak of bravery, and symbol.
(2) He gets a +4 to save against the wizard spells blindness, Tasha's uncontrollable hideous laughter, hold person, charm monster, and confusion, and the clerical spells hold person and hold animal.
(3) The emotion spell has no effect on the Berserker

And no penalties to his s.throws are mentioned in the hindrances of the ability.

Also there is no mention at all about bonuses or penalties to his AC.

So, it seems that pnp texts can't help us much in this particular case.

I can change the penalty to saves to a bonus, but I'm not sure what to do with the penalty to AC. As you said, it doesn't make sense that the Berserker version grants bonus while the Barbarian version gives penalty.

thetruth
QUOTE(Sikret @ May 22 2007, 10:20 AM) *

I can change the penalty to saves to a bonus, but I'm not sure what to do with the penalty to AC. As you said, it doesn't make sense that the Berserker version grants bonus while the Barbarian version gives penalty.

Yes I don't know either.
But I think that both Raven and Arkain made good points that it should be a penalty to the AC and not a bonus.
(As mentioned also in the link Arkain gave).

The only thing that can be connected to the AC of an enraged Berserker is maybe this (from the Fighter's Handbook):

(as a benefit) (5) The Berserker, while Berserk, is immune to KO results from the Punching and Wrestling rules, and takes only half damage from bare-handed attacks from these rules.

(as a drawback) (5) While Berserk, the character cannot take cover against missile fire.

Sikret
QUOTE(thetruth @ May 22 2007, 12:27 PM) *

Another merchant who has much better prices than the others is the smuggler in the cave in Amkethran (the one that sells the Gargoyle's boots and other items).

Well, his prices become good only after he offers you his discount. Similar to Ribald, he has two stores. He shows you the store with good prices only after you help them. It's almost the end of the game, but I can modify his discount rate if you think that it can be exploited.

thetruth
QUOTE(Sikret @ May 22 2007, 12:45 PM) *

Well, his prices become good only after he offers you his discount. Similar to Ribald, he has two stores. He shows you the store with good prices only after you help them. It's almost the end of the game, but I can modify his discount rate if you think that it can be exploited.

No it's OK I think now. It's near the end of the game as you said.
leonidas
Just a quickie: Jahiera gets stuck in a dialogue loop when she finds khalid's carcass if yoshimo is incapacitated when he is supposed to chip-in (e.g. by the radiant mephit's colour spray).

Basically she will say her initial dialogue over and over again until yoshimo is close enough to activate his own dialogue.
luan
Diamond (1)
Charisma 15
Reputation 20

Ribald normal store:
Sell 300gp
Buy 1150gp

Ribald special store:
Sell 550gp
Buy 1150gp

It seems the prices are different depending on which interface I load the game from (TOB vs SOA)... Odd how they don't match up from yesterday's numbers.

Sikret
Thanks, luan! I surveyed all of the game's stores one more time and fixed all unreasonable sell/buy prices.
luan
Just noticed that the Defender of Easthaven +2 text discription reads as "Defender of Easthaven +3"!
leonidas
QUOTE(luan @ May 24 2007, 09:44 PM) *

Just noticed that the Defender of Easthaven +2 text discription reads as "Defender of Easthaven +3"!

There's a defender of easthaven +2!?
Noelle
Pretty sure there's at least one out there, althought I think the quickest way is to install the bonus merchants mod. If I don't remember wrongly, the guy in CC sells the defender. Can't remember his name offhand

biggrin.gif
luan
IPB Image
IPB Image

??
Sikret
The posts about Defender of Easthaven were sent to the wrong topic. It's a bug of the vanilla game and should have been sent here rather than the IA bug thread. I moved the posts here to the right topic.

Yes, the flail is +3. It's name is incorrect. Will fix it.
leonidas
There's an issue with the joinable npcs atm. Most of them have at least two versions, and depending on the character level of the party leader, you get either a high or low level one.

The thing is, atm, this is easy to exploit. You can just stick yoshimo in charge of your party, and because thieves get levels at the higher rate than usual, you get npcs joining with a disproportionate amount of xp.

For example, you can stick yoshimo in charge of your party (or you might be playing a thief as the protagonist) and go save the circus. Seeing as yoshimo will be level 10 or 11, you will get the version of aerie with 400k xp.

Same with keldorn and anomen, you can get version of their characters with almost a million xp, by having a thief in charge of your party with 440000 xp (or something).

I was thinking about it, and it seems to me, characters you can get immediately such as keldorn or anomen shouldn't have high level versions. Or alternatively the joining level of npcs should be based on total xp rather than character level. But bear in mind it is also possible to exploit this by playing in single player and doing all the easy quests to get your character level up (and then getting all the higher-xp versions on the joinable npcs).

Anyway, tell me what you think.
Romulas
QUOTE(leonidas @ May 28 2007, 08:38 AM) *

I was thinking about it, and it seems to me, characters you can get immediately such as keldorn or anomen shouldn't have high level versions. Or alternatively the joining level of npcs should be based on total xp rather than character level. But bear in mind it is also possible to exploit this by playing in single player and doing all the easy quests to get your character level up (and then getting all the higher-xp versions on the joinable npcs).

Anyway, tell me what you think.

I disagree for the following reasons. In my last IA V4 game I got pretty high before I bailed. In this game I attacked the grave lich on core rules and finally won. That was the first time I ever beat that critter so was pretty happy with it. The bad thing was I lost a custom dwarf of over 20th level, permanently.

So, I recruited keldorn and the disparity between his level and average party level would have made him a serious handicap. I think he joined the party and was level 12. So, in order to play down using shadowkeeper to make him an asset instead of a handicap some better way should be implemented.

As for doing all the easy quests first with 4 or fewer people, I thought that was mentioned as a viable tactic to combat the increased difficulty at the lower levels that IA puts in, I could be wrong on this.

Romulas
Raven
Re: electrical resistance of Shadow Fiends

Shadow fiends have an electrical resistance of 128% (checked using Shadow Keeper). The maximum resistance is 127% - beyond this point the resistances wrap round so that a resistance of 128% is actually -127%, meaning Shadow Fiends take over double damage from electrical attacks. I found this out whilst bashing one with the Hammer of Thor biggrin.gif .

Can't think of any reason why Shadow Fiends should be so vulnerable to electricity, so I guess this is just a bug. There may be other monsters with similar problems but this was the only one I've noticed so far.
Baronius
Did you experience or test the problem in practice as well?

BG2 isn't available to me at the moment, so I can't check how ShadowKeeper displays what you say or if it has any bug. Resistance is represented in a signed byte, so it's -128 (and not -127) if its absolute value is 128.
Raven
QUOTE(Baronius @ Jun 2 2007, 05:27 PM) *

Did you experience or test the problem in practice as well?

Yes, as mentioned I fought a Shadow Fiend using the item 'Hammer of Thor' which inflicts 6 points of electrical damage with each hit. The Shadow Fiends took 13 from each hit.
Baronius
I see, thanks for the reply. I was looking for your earlier post, but didn't find it.

[EDIT] Sorry, I had overlooked it in your previous post. Now I see it.
Sikret
Baronius is right. Their resistance to electricity is actually -128% (not 128%) which is not a valid number, of course. Will do something about it. Thanks for the report, Raven!

EDIT: Just checked and Devil Shades have the same issue as well.
Mongerman
Planetar spam with project image still works as well. Not even the demon prince can take on 20 planetars at once.
thetruth
QUOTE(Mongerman @ Jun 7 2007, 01:53 AM) *

Planetar spam with project image still works as well. Not even the demon prince can take on 20 planetars at once.

Yes unfortunately it is one of the few "bugs" that cannot be fixed.
But at that point someone could also use CTRL-Y - it's also faster tongue.gif
Sikret
Now, only sorcerers can cast "Project Image" and "Simulacrum". Other mages cannot learn the spells because all scrolls of those two spells are removed from the game (unless you cheat and give the spell to your mage by SK). The spells are also erased from the spell book of Jan and Nalia. This was all I could think to do for now, but as thetruth indirectly said, it's the player (himself) who should be his own policeman to avoid cheesy methods.
Clown
Don't think this is a bug as such but realised on my last run through it can be horridly exploited, tensers transformation still allows casting of spells from scrolls and with the far larger numbers of useful spell scrolls in IA its easier to exploit.
Sikret
QUOTE(Clown @ Jun 7 2007, 12:22 PM) *
Don't think this is a bug as such but realised on my last run through it can be horridly exploited, tensers transformation still allows casting of spells from scrolls and with the far larger numbers of useful spell scrolls in IA its easier to exploit.

thetruth had reported this to me a good while ago and I fixed it at that time. Just can't remember if it was before v4.2 or not, but I'm sure it is fixed in v4.3.

thetruth

No Clown says that a Mage under TT can still cast spells from scrolls (not a second and cumulative TT which is fixed now).

But in this case I don't think of it as bug, since scrolls are considered items and they can use them like thieves with UAI can.

Now, only sorcerers can cast "Project Image" and "Simulacrum". Other mages cannot learn the spells because all scrolls of those two spells are removed from the game (unless you cheat and give the spell to your mage by SK). The spells are also erased from the spell book of Jan and Nalia. This was all I could think to do for now, but as thetruth indirectly said, it's the player (himself) who should be his own policeman to avoid cheesy methods.

I am not sure if this is a good idea.
For sure it is a solution, but still I would prefer a different one, even if I am not sure know if there is.
Besides it makes Sorcerers even more powerful than the other Mages.

Sikret
QUOTE(thetruth @ Jun 7 2007, 04:08 PM) *

No Clown says that a Mage under TT can still cast spells from scrolls (not a second and cumulative TT which is fixed now).

Ah, yes. I had misread Clown's post. Thanks.
But in this case I don't think of it as bug, since scrolls are considered items and they can use them like thieves with UAI can.

I agree.

I am not sure if this is a good idea.
For sure it is a solution, but still I would prefer a different one, even if I am not sure know if there is.

I'm open to suggestions.

Besides it makes Sorcerers even more powerful than the other Mages.

But sorcerers are not that much powerful in IA. They are now far beneath the authority they had in the vanilla game. Don't you agree?

As a side note, sorcerers now have less chance to forge the Robe of the Apprenti than pure mages, which means that a pure mage has more chance to forge "Memory of the Apprenti" (= a great item). And the robe is not even cheatable.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.