Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unfixed bugs of vanilla game
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
lroumen
It's probably a double... Quarterstaff or Dagger.
If you take proficiencies in the secondary that you already have in the primary, they're effectively lost. I think the game designers never tested it.

I thought Sikret already fixed this though.
geh4th
Sikret might have it fixed for IA 6.0, but it wasn't fixed in my load of IA 5.0.
leonidas
QUOTE(Arkain @ Aug 24 2008, 10:35 PM) *
Since you already made Spirit Armor unstackable you might want to do the same for Potion(s) of Invulnerability. One could stack the +5 to all saves bonus if he wants to which would result in godly saving throws. Or is there already a fix for it?

This reminded me of a problem with master thievery potions; they stack as well, and you can use them to go over the maximum level of a particular skill (which is 240 i believe). The problem is when you go over 240 in any thieving skill it then counts as zero, so despite having an incredibly high skill level you'll always fail.
Sikret
QUOTE(Kerkes @ Aug 24 2008, 10:16 PM) *
There's an item called "obsidian ioun stone" you can buy in TOB. Just like the axe of unyielding (before it was tweaked) it raises con, so it can be used to heal characters by equiping it on-off

Thanks for the repot, Kerkes! Will fix.

QUOTE(Marceror @ Aug 25 2008, 01:34 AM) *
That would be a pretty twisted person who would repeatedly imprison and free their cleric, just for some extra gold. But I guess we've got all types out there, don't we. unsure.gif

Indeed!

The problem is that some people believe (or at least, pretend to believe) that if they can do some such things inside the game and without using the console commands or shadow keeper, then they are not cheating!

And actually, it is not even needed to imprison your cleric and free him; the cheater can just kick the cleric out of the party and once the cleric asks whether he should really leave, reply "No, rejoin the party". The cleric will rejoin and will gain one additional symbol. It's plain cheat (even though it is done without using the console or SK).

In general, abusing the engine issues to gain extra gold, extra items, or extra xp are not merely cheesy; they are cheats.

QUOTE(leonidas @ Aug 25 2008, 05:41 AM) *
QUOTE(Arkain @ Aug 24 2008, 10:35 PM) *
Since you already made Spirit Armor unstackable you might want to do the same for Potion(s) of Invulnerability. One could stack the +5 to all saves bonus if he wants to which would result in godly saving throws. Or is there already a fix for it?

This reminded me of a problem with master thievery potions; they stack as well, and you can use them to go over the maximum level of a particular skill (which is 240 i believe). The problem is when you go over 240 in any thieving skill it then counts as zero, so despite having an incredibly high skill level you'll always fail.

The problem is that there is actually no clean and flawless fix for potion-stacking issue. Some other mods may have made claims to fix such problems, but they are not clean fixes.

The only two solutions to such problems are either to remove the stackable effect from the potion entirely or to change the effect to *set* the value rather than adding to it. The former solution will make potions of invulnerability identical with potions of defense (except for the duration which will make potions of invulnerability even inferior to potions of defense) and the latter solution is flawed in this case, because we don't know to which numbers it should set the saving throws.

I will think about this issue a bit more and will report. I'm sure that the solution has to be tweaking th potion in a rather more radical way (rather than a sort of simple fix). For example, we can omit the saving throw bonus, but make the AC bonus better than what it is (to keep those potions superior to potions of defense in some way).

@geh4th

Yes, I remember that you had reported the Nalia's missed proficiency point to me in a PM as well. It's in my to-do list. Thanks again for reminding it to me here.
Vuki
QUOTE(Sikret @ Aug 25 2008, 09:09 AM) *
The problem is that there is actually no clean and flawless fix for potion-stacking issue. Some other mods may have made claims to fix such problems, but they are not clean fixes.

The only two solutions to such problems are either to remove the stackable effect from the potion entirely or to change the effect to *set* the value rather than adding to it.

I think in the case of thieving mastery and potion of perception the first method should the right solution. This potions should not be stackable. They can make a first level thief equal to a 20th level thief (in most areas). So, I vote for the first option in this case.
SpellStorm
QUOTE(Sikret @ Aug 25 2008, 10:09 AM) *
QUOTE(Kerkes @ Aug 24 2008, 10:16 PM) *
There's an item called "obsidian ioun stone" you can buy in TOB. Just like the axe of unyielding (before it was tweaked) it raises con, so it can be used to heal characters by equiping it on-off

Thanks for the repot, Kerkes! Will fix.

There is yet another item granting Constitution bonus in the Throne of Bhaal expansion, called 'Malla's Soul Stone' and it can be used like the Obsidian Ioun Stone.
aVENGER
QUOTE(Sikret @ Aug 25 2008, 09:09 AM) *

You can transfer the potion's effects into a spell file and then prevent the spell from stacking with itself. That's what I do in Rogue Rebalancing.
Nivellen
No idea if this is intentional/fixed. I started yesterday unseeing eye quest and right at start of the area in which you recover rod (well, where is temple where you get it) there are some columns on the left and there is a 'mask' on the wall with some storage (don't rememeber the items). When you click on mask you get some kind of message saying that mask looks scary or something like this (can't check now) after few clicks 2 spiders (each 2k xp) and some kind of ghost (5k xp) appear. You can click continuosly to spawn those creatures for easy xp.

Additionally - in the same area after getting trough bridge (the riddles) there is cache with war hammer +2 (named) and spider ambush (there is one spider and he summons a lot of the other ones + uses web and some other spell). I think its to hard for the area/loot its guarding - since hammer isn't good at all.

LZJ
@Nivellen:

For the first thing on your list, it is not infinite. I believe that the Mist Horror and Sword Spiders only appear 5-6 times. It's something from the vanilla game, not IA.

The war hammer +2 (Ashideena) is now guarded as you've noted. Whilst the item may not be that good in your opinion, it is a necessary item required for the Hammer of Thor, and it only seems right that item upgrades for such powerful weapons should not be that easy to obtain.
Nivellen
You are right if its component in recipe - i didn't think about it (never forged this item).

About spiders and mist - i didn't check if they spawn infinitely - 4 or 5 times they did seemed like to much already - you may be right though smile.gif
Sikret
QUOTE(SpellStorm @ Aug 25 2008, 12:18 PM) *
There is yet another item granting Constitution bonus in the Throne of Bhaal expansion, called 'Malla's Soul Stone' and it can be used like the Obsidian Ioun Stone.

Thanks. Will fix.

QUOTE(LZJ @ Aug 25 2008, 03:04 PM) *
For the first thing on your list, it is not infinite. I believe that the Mist Horror and Sword Spiders only appear 5-6 times. It's something from the vanilla game, not IA.

Yes, it repeats for 5 times exactly. If you think that it is too much free xp, I can decrease the number of repetitions to 1 or 2. Changing the creatures spawned here is pointless because the player can simply ignore it.
Nivellen
QUOTE(Sikret @ Aug 25 2008, 01:05 PM) *
Yes, it repeats for 5 times exactly. If you think that it is too much free xp, I can decrease the number of repetitions to 1 or 2. Changing the creatures spawned here is pointless because the player can simply ignore it.

I think its up to you. Its 45k XP for nothing (if its 5 times). While playing i though its infinite and just realoaded the game (clicked few times on the mask by accident smile.gif i didn't even know it happens here ).
Sikret
QUOTE(geh4th @ Aug 25 2008, 03:24 AM) *
Nalia appears to be missing a weapon proficiency.

She should have started out with 2 as a thief, then gained one at 4th level before she dualled (total = 3 at this point)
She then gains one as a 1st level mage, and another at 6th level. Total 5.

As she joins the the party, she has:

Short Sword
Dagger
Quarterstaff
Short Bow

I'm thinking that one gained as a thief is missing.

Ok, what weapon proficiency do you suggest for her? (choose something available to thieves but not available to mages)
LZJ
My personal preference is for her to have a point in Single Weapon Style, so that she would have a slightly improved chance of hitting an enemy via a critical.

If this isn't a good idea, then the next best options seems to be slashing weapons. Those available to her are Long Sword, Katana and Scimitar.
Raven
QUOTE(LZJ @ Aug 25 2008, 01:27 PM) *
My personal preference is for her to have a point in Single Weapon Style, so that she would have a slightly improved chance of hitting an enemy via a critical.

I agree.
geh4th
I lean towards the longsword, and here's why:

Nalia is the daughter of a noble. Much more, a widowed father Noble with only a daughter as a child. I think it's more than reasonable that he would have made sure that she had basic training in a weapon that would be commonly found among men-at-arms and nobility.

Now from a GAMER'S perspective (meaning that I know what items are in the game and what she might be able to use) I'd go with Katana, because she could then use Dakkon Zerth's blade - to get those extra spells. That's using info that Nalia and Lord De'Arnise would never know while she was growing up, so a bit cheesy. smile.gif

Finally, as for the single-weapon style: giving her a point in this style doesn't do much for me. The 1 AC benefit is okay, but is she really going to be in enough combat to find the 5% additional critical all that useful? I'd prefer the weapon versatility myself, and as I said it would be fitting for her background.

I have another suggestion re: Nalia but I'll put that in a different thread as it's not a vanilla game error and would be off-topic.

G-
lroumen
I don't believe that Nobles get a lot of combat training smile.gif

Do you guys often use her as single-weapon that often?
Baronius
I don't believe that Nobles get a lot of combat training smile.gif

I'm sure you meant noblewomen.
Raven
QUOTE(geh4th @ Aug 25 2008, 03:41 PM) *
Now from a GAMER'S perspective (meaning that I know what items are in the game and what she might be able to use) I'd go with Katana, because she could then use Dakkon Zerth's blade - to get those extra spells. That's using info that Nalia and Lord De'Arnise would never know while she was growing up, so a bit cheesy. smile.gif

She doesn't need a proficiency point in katana to wield the Dakkon Zerth blade and benefit from the extra spells.

It doesn't really matter which proficiency is chosen because, since Nalia is a dual-class character, she can pick any thief-allowed weapon/style as she continues to advance in levels.
geh4th
My point about noble(women) is that Nalia was in an unusual situation. She's not exactly your average noble (thief/mage??)

Mom is dead, Father is a widower, she's his only child. He sounds like he was a real good-hearted person based on what Nalia tells of him, and that he'd be wanting to be sure she's as "prepared for the world" as possible. He won't live forever, after all. He doesn't seem to be all that pushy in marrying her off; he seems to understand that she's going to go her own way regardless of the whole nobility-obligation thing. It's implied that he allowed her training in magic for this very reason, but why wouldn't he do what he could as well (meaning: give her some weapon training)?

Maybe I'm reading between the lines too much.

And yes, I know that she can merely hold the DZ blade and get the spell benefits. But one would sorta like to be able to use it, wouldn't you think?
LZJ
Wow, I never thought there would be so much debate over this!

I lean towards the longsword, and here's why:

Nalia is the daughter of a noble. Much more, a widowed father Noble with only a daughter as a child. I think it's more than reasonable that he would have made sure that she had basic training in a weapon that would be commonly found among men-at-arms and nobility.
Well, this is up for interpretation. To me, it seems that Nalia frequently sneaks away from her noble training to mingle with the common folk. That's why she has a thief class after all. Further, Nalia's Aunt, who would probably take care of her noblewoman training since her mother died, would probably object vehemently to Nalia learning any weapon. Nalia probably picked those up on her own. (That's how I would see it!)

Now from a GAMER'S perspective (meaning that I know what items are in the game and what she might be able to use) I'd go with Katana, because she could then use Dakkon Zerth's blade - to get those extra spells. That's using info that Nalia and Lord De'Arnise would never know while she was growing up, so a bit cheesy.

She doesn't need a proficiency point in katana to wield the Dakkon Zerth blade and benefit from the extra spells.

It doesn't really matter which proficiency is chosen because, since Nalia is a dual-class character, she can pick any thief-allowed weapon/style as she continues to advance in levels.

I fully agree with what Raven said.

To me, Single weapon fighting is the most efficient use of the proficiency point, as even without a prof. point in the weapon Nalia is wielding, she would still be able to crit on 19 or 20. Since her THAC0 is rather high (in the double digits usually), being proficient in the katana would usually be less useful than a point in Single Weapon Fighting.

Further, if Nalia has Haste on her (Imp. Haste would be a waste, and Haste could either be from a spell or from Boots), she would have 2 attacks per round which would mean a 20% chance of a critical. If she is dual wielding, she would have 3 attacks but only a 15% chance of critting. Given her bad THAC0, which would you prefer?
Sikret
Remember that now that we are going to touch it, we can even revise the other 4 proficiencies if we want to. So, you can suggest a full list of 5 proficiencies provided that you keep in mind that 3 of them are picked as a thief and the other 2 as a mage.

Personally, I don't think that the DZ blade should be considered as an important parameter here. Additional spell slots given by weapons are frustrating, because every time you equip a different weapon (or unequip that particular weapon for any reason), the extra spell slots will disappear. And as geh4th mentioned, Katana is probably the last weapon Nalia would start to learn. So, I suggest to forget Katana and suggest a list of 5 other proficiencies.
Raven
QUOTE(Sikret @ Aug 25 2008, 05:08 PM) *
Remember that now that we are going to touch it, we can even revise the other 4 proficiencies if we want to. So, you can suggest a full list of 5 proficiencies provided that you keep in mind that 3 of them are picked as a thief and the other 2 as a mage.

Since she regained her thief abilities upon hitting mage level 5, her second proficiency point as a mage (which she gains at mage level 6) can be chosen from the thief list, I believe.
geh4th
I've added a new thread asking for an evaluation of Nalia's profession and levels. I hope that I've presented a reasonable argument for the change. Check it out. (If I knew how to link to it, I would.)
leonidas
You know the necklace of talos you have to steal as part of the series of quests you do for mae'var? Well there's two of those in the game: you can pickpocket one during the day and steal another from the locked chest besides the priestess' bed at night. Which obviously is at odds with the description mae'var gives you.
lroumen
Mae'var mentions that she takes it off when she's sleeping, but there's no reason why you cannot just pick pocket it.
Sikret
QUOTE(leonidas @ Aug 26 2008, 03:41 AM) *
You know the necklace of talos you have to steal as part of the series of quests you do for mae'var? Well there's two of those in the game: you can pickpocket one during the day and steal another from the locked chest besides the priestess' bed at night. Which obviously is at odds with the description mae'var gives you.

Do you suggest to make the amulet unstealable but keep it in Mistress Ada's inventory or do you suggest to remove it from her inventory altogether (or make it undropable)?

Making it unstealable but letting the priestess have it, means that you will probably be able to still gain the amulet prematurely if you kill her.
Vuki
I do not think it is really an issue. What can you do with this necklance? It has no power and as I remember it is even not sellable.
LZJ
I recommend not changing it. I think the reason the necklace can be found in 2 places was to allow the protaganist 2 possibilities to obtain it: in the day by pickpocketing the priestess, or at night via the chest. As Vuki mentioned, it's useless anyway.
leonidas
Yeah if it's complex to fix it doesn't matter. I imagined you could make it disappear from her inv once it was stolen from the chest and vice versa.

But upon typing it out it does seem like something that would be a) complex or B) impossible with the infin engine.
Sikret
QUOTE(leonidas @ Aug 26 2008, 09:14 PM) *
Yeah if it's complex to fix it doesn't matter. I imagined you could make it disappear from her inv once it was stolen from the chest and vice versa.

But upon typing it out it does seem like something that would be a) complex or B) impossible with the infin engine.

No, no. It's neither impossible nor complex. I can fix it in any way we agree on. My personal opinion is that as long as Mae'Var has not spoken about it with you, the amulet should neither be found with the priestess nor in the container. Once Mae'Var gives you the quest, the amulet should be available (preferably only in the chest). what do you think?
leonidas
QUOTE(Sikret @ Aug 27 2008, 07:30 AM) *
QUOTE(leonidas @ Aug 26 2008, 09:14 PM) *

But upon typing it out it does seem like something that would be a) complex or cool.gif impossible with the infin engine.

No, no. It's neither impossible nor complex. I can fix it in any way we agree on. My personal opinion is that as long as Mae'Var has not spoken about it with you, the amulet should neither be found with the priestess nor in the container. Once Mae'Var gives you the quest, the amulet should be available (preferably only in the chest). what do you think?

Ah well in that case, I agree it should only be available once mae'var gives you the quest to steal it. My personal preference for fixing it, is to make it disappear from which ever location you chose NOT to take it from. So if you steal it from the chest it shouldn't also be pickpocketable from the priest.
Vuki
QUOTE(leonidas @ Aug 28 2008, 06:30 AM) *
Ah well in that case, I agree it should only be available once mae'var gives you the quest to steal it. My personal preference for fixing it, is to make it disappear from which ever location you chose NOT to take it from. So if you steal it from the cheat it shouldn't also be pickpocketable from the priest.

I still do not see why it is important. As I remember you cannot sell it, so you cannot get gold from it. It has no power, so you will not use it. You will throw away at the first possible case.

Or do I miss something?
Raven
wakizashis: they are described as not being usable by druids but several actually are (e.g. wakizashi, wakizashi +1).
Sikret
QUOTE(Vuki @ Aug 28 2008, 10:56 AM) *
Ah well in that case, I agree it should only be available once mae'var gives you the quest to steal it. My personal preference for fixing it, is to make it disappear from which ever location you chose NOT to take it from. So if you steal it from the cheat it shouldn't also be pickpocketable from the priest.

I still do not see why it is important. As I remember you cannot sell it, so you cannot get gold from it. It has no power, so you will not use it. You will throw away at the first possible case.

Or do I miss something?

As mentioned before by Kerkes, the difference is that if the player can pick the amulet before meeting Mae'Var, he won't need to exit Docks district after Mae'Var gives the quest. Consequently, if the player has not already encountered Suna-Seni and co, he will be able to postpone that encounter rather unfairly to when the party has gained the full xp and reward of defeating Mae'Var.
leonidas
QUOTE(Vuki @ Aug 28 2008, 07:26 AM) *

Or do I miss something?

It's also a cosmetic thing, in addition to what sikret described (which tbh I wasn't thinking of). It's nice for the game to follow an internal logic of sorts, which is disrupted when you find duplicates of items there are only supposed to be one of. But no, I wouldn't expect everyone to find that aspect important, which is why I was so ready to dismiss it if it was time-consuming to fix.
Vuki
Ok guys, I agree with you. I just would like to save the time of Sikret because I do not want that V6 is postponed only because this bug fixing. biggrin.gif
Vuki
Somebody (as I remember Kerkes) mentioned that the text on the screen said that his protagonist got special abilities in Firkraag area but when he checked he did not find anything. It was told that it could have been the forced sleeping effect.

It did not occured at that time but when you report back to Garren Windspear your success. It is just a minor cosmetic issue, so it is not really important to fix.
Sikret
QUOTE(Vuki @ Aug 31 2008, 02:19 AM) *
Somebody (as I remember Kerkes) mentioned that the text on the screen said that his protagonist got special abilities in Firkraag area but when he checked he did not find anything. It was told that it could have been the forced sleeping effect.

It did not occured at that time but when you report back to Garren Windspear your success. It is just a minor cosmetic issue, so it is not really important to fix.

It's already fixed, as you could read in the first post in "Progress Report for v6" topic.
Vuki
QUOTE(Sikret @ Aug 31 2008, 12:14 AM) *
It's already fixed, as you could read in the first post in "Progress Report for v6" topic.

I did not remember. Thanks!
LZJ
Hmm there's one thing in particular which I find rather strange: silenced fighters cannot use their warrior HLAs like Critical Strike, Greater Whirldwind Attack or Hardiness as they are considered spells too. For War Cry (which I never choose anyway), I can understand this, but not fo these others... unless... the warrior needs to grunt or shout ohmy.gif to activate his ability?
LZJ
Hmmm I found a possible bug... or at least I don't think it is an intended effect.

Free Action guards only partially against Stone Golems' "Golem Slow" ability. The total number of attacks are not halved, BUT the THAC0 and AC are still affected: Base THAC0 still increases by 4, and AC goes up as well.
Raven
QUOTE(LZJ @ Sep 7 2008, 02:26 PM) *
Free Action guards only partially against Stone Golems' "Golem Slow" ability. The total number of attacks are not halved, BUT the THAC0 and AC are still affected: Base THAC0 still increases by 4, and AC goes up as well.

Yes, that's because the 'Slow' effect (which increases casting time, decreases movement rate etc.) is prevented, but the penalties to THAC0 and AC are not actually tied to the Slow effect. I imagine the issue could be solved by adding immunity to the Golem Slow spell file to Free Action.
Shadan
Strange thing, maybe not a bug but I think it is cheesy. Shade Lord dungeon, lich and room with fire floor. Accidentally lich stood on fire floor, of course he didn't get damage from fire since he has a Prot. from Fire, but his spell castings was always failure.

Another thing: If a character has an item equipped which gives immunity to Confusion, text message still says XY is confused when he doesn't pass on saving throw.
Sikret
QUOTE(LZJ @ Sep 7 2008, 05:56 PM) *

Will fix. Thanks!

Free Action Spell and potions had a lot of bugs in the vanilla game which I have already fixed. It seems that their problems are endless. smile.gif

QUOTE(shadan @ Sep 8 2008, 12:36 PM) *
Strange thing, naybe not a bug but I think it is cheesy. Shade Lord dungeon, lich and room with fire floor. Accidebtally lich stood on fire floor, of course he didn't get damage from fire since he ahs a Prot. from Fire, but his spell castings was always failure.

Good observation! I will check and fix.

Another thing: If a character has an item equipped which gives immunity to Confusion, text massage still says XY is confused when he doesn't pass on saving throw.

It depends on the item. Tell me which item it is and I will check and fix it.
Shadan
It was the Shield of Harmony.
Shadan
Against liches sometimes my casters fail their casting most of the times. I did'nt know what is this but I figured out later. Their summoned fallen deva or dark planetar used Unholy Word, and it has a spellfailure component. It is a very confusing because there is no indication in combat text, no icon on charater portrait, and it doesn't mentioned on character sheet. Something should show me if my caster has a spellfailure effect on him. Two types of spell failure is caused by Holy Word: one is with slow, and one is with deafness. Both should be marked with corresponding deafness and slow icon on portrait plus an icon for spell failure. Deafness one should be cured with Cure Disease, Neutralize Poison, Heal, Greater Restoration as they cure deafness. I don't know what is with slow + spellfailure component. Maybe this should be uncurable since it is greater effect on lower level creatures.

In fight against Irenicus in Spellhold one of the crazy spellcasters uses Strength of One, which lower my characters strength to 18/75 from higher strength... I think spell should be tweaked don't lower higher strength.
lroumen
I would like to argue that that's the way the Strength of One spell works as per description smile.gif
Shadan
QUOTE(lroumen @ Sep 12 2008, 09:54 AM) *
I would like to argue that that's the way the Strength of One spell works as per description smile.gif

I know but all strength type spell have this stupidity... This lowering thing should be deleted from all strength type spell's effect and description also...
Vuki
QUOTE(shadan @ Sep 12 2008, 02:05 PM) *
I know but all strength type spell have this stupidity... This lowering thing should be deleted from all strength type spell's effect and description also...

Or - if it is possible - it should allow a saving throw in case the strength is lowered. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.