Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unfixed bugs of vanilla game
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
bulian
When loading a saved game, characters equipped with either grandfather of assassins or boots of the ranger lord are not under the effect of improved haste (do not have the correct number of attacks). However, equipping them grants the correct number of attacks.

Not technically a bug, but equipping the boots of the ranger lord with flail of ages +5 already equipped does not result in the improved haste number of attacks. Equipping them in the opposite order gives the improved haste # of attacks. Perhaps FoA+5 should be modified to give immunity to slow?

Probably from the original game, but spell levels from my high level cleric's spellbooks would occasionally be wiped clean. I think it has to do with the Wish "all characteristics to 25."
Sikret
QUOTE(bulian @ Jan 4 2010, 09:14 AM) *
When loading a saved game, characters equipped with either grandfather of assassins or boots of the ranger lord are not under the effect of improved haste (do not have the correct number of attacks). However, equipping them grants the correct number of attacks.

I'll check this. Did you have Free Action on yourself when this happened? Even if this problem exists, it's from the vanilla game. There is nothing I can do about it.

Not technically a bug, but equipping the boots of the ranger lord with flail of ages +5 already equipped does not result in the improved haste number of attacks. Equipping them in the opposite order gives the improved haste # of attacks. Perhaps FoA+5 should be modified to give immunity to slow?
It's the way Free Action and Haste work with each other. It's a problem of the vanilla game. The Flail of Ages +5 doesn't grant Free Action in v6 though.

Probably from the original game, but spell levels from my high level cleric's spellbooks would occasionally be wiped clean. I think it has to do with the Wish "all characteristics to 25."

Yes, it has nothing to do with IA.
critto
@ bulian:

In my v6 tests, such issue has arisen only when I saved with Free Action active. After loading, the IH from the boots was nullified by Free Action. I had to test a difficult encounter, so I saved after pre-buffing sequence but before applying FA on my protagonist.
Otherwise, I never witnessed Improved Haste not being applied correctly after loading the game. Does it happen every time in your case?
bulian
I did some tests with free action and found the items were working fine though there was a different bug that I inadvertently found.

I loaded from an earlier spot in the game and took a vagrant, F/T, and F/M, and unequipped BoRL, GoA, and regular boots of speed, respectively. Each character had 7/2 APR. I cast free action and equipped each item. The vagrant and F/T had the IH icons displaying, though the F/M did not have a regular haste icon displaying. The number of attacks for all 3 characters remained at 7/2. Perhaps the IH icon should not display here?

Resting with the items equipped removed free action, though each character still had 7/2 APR. At this point I saved the game and reloaded it, and the vagrant and F/T were affected by IH (7 APR) and the F/M was affected by regular haste (4 APR). The F/M also had the haste icon displaying. So, the items work fine upon loading, though if equipped while under the effects of free action, they do not grant haste or IH once the free action is removed.

I reloaded my original game where I noticed the error and noticed I had given my F/T melodic fury from "The Four" to bump his THAC0 down a bit, which also grants haste. He had 4 APR (hasted), not 7 APR (IH). Both haste and IH icons were displayed. Casting remove curse on him removed the ring and gave him 7 APR. From there, equipping melodic fury gave him 4 APR. I then rested and cast remove curse again (7 APR) and equipped boots of speed (4 APR). Removing the boots of speed (now 7 APR) and casting the spell haste caused no change to # of APR and no line in the dialogue area, perhaps due to a hidden immunity to haste on the item?

Lastly, if I unequip both GoA and and Melodic Fury (APR = 7/2) and equip Melodic Fury before GoA, I end up with 7 APR. The same is true for equipping boots of speed before GoA. However, saving and loading after each case (boots of speed before GoA, (7 APR) and GoA before boots of speed (4 APR))cause the character to load with only 4 APR. The bug is an incompatibility of sorts for items that grant haste and IH, and/or the dependence on item slot order in which buffs are applied upon loading.
Sikret
QUOTE(bulian @ Jan 8 2010, 06:37 AM) *
I did some tests with free action and found the items were working fine though there was a different bug that I inadvertently found.

I loaded from an earlier spot in the game and took a vagrant, F/T, and F/M, and unequipped BoRL, GoA, and regular boots of speed, respectively. Each character had 7/2 APR. I cast free action and equipped each item. The vagrant and F/T had the IH icons displaying, though the F/M did not have a regular haste icon displaying. The number of attacks for all 3 characters remained at 7/2. Perhaps the IH icon should not display here?

Resting with the items equipped removed free action, though each character still had 7/2 APR. At this point I saved the game and reloaded it, and the vagrant and F/T were affected by IH (7 APR) and the F/M was affected by regular haste (4 APR). The F/M also had the haste icon displaying. So, the items work fine upon loading, though if equipped while under the effects of free action, they do not grant haste or IH once the free action is removed.

I reloaded my original game where I noticed the error and noticed I had given my F/T melodic fury from "The Four" to bump his THAC0 down a bit, which also grants haste. He had 4 APR (hasted), not 7 APR (IH). Both haste and IH icons were displayed. Casting remove curse on him removed the ring and gave him 7 APR. From there, equipping melodic fury gave him 4 APR. I then rested and cast remove curse again (7 APR) and equipped boots of speed (4 APR). Removing the boots of speed (now 7 APR) and casting the spell haste caused no change to # of APR and no line in the dialogue area, perhaps due to a hidden immunity to haste on the item?

Lastly, if I unequip both GoA and and Melodic Fury (APR = 7/2) and equip Melodic Fury before GoA, I end up with 7 APR. The same is true for equipping boots of speed before GoA. However, saving and loading after each case (boots of speed before GoA, (7 APR) and GoA before boots of speed (4 APR))cause the character to load with only 4 APR. The bug is an incompatibility of sorts for items that grant haste and IH, and/or the dependence on item slot order in which buffs are applied upon loading.

Since, these are all about the original game's mechanism to handle haste effects, and have nothing to do with Improved Anvil in particular, the related posts are moved to this topic.
zuras
Has contingency been completely gutted in IA 5(or earlier) or do I have a bug?
Sikret
QUOTE(zuras @ Mar 21 2010, 12:27 AM) *

The Contingency spell works without any problem in IA.

Perhaps you could explain your actual problem in the game instead.
zuras
QUOTE(Sikret @ Mar 20 2010, 08:08 PM) *
QUOTE(zuras @ Mar 21 2010, 12:27 AM) *

The Contingency spell works without any problem in IA.

Perhaps you could explain your actual problem in the game instead.

All the contingency scrolls I find are red to my protag, meaning it will let me try to scribe them but they will always fail and I cannot equip the spell to cast as a scroll it either. He is a fighter/mage dual. My sorcerer can cast the scroll from a hotkey, but when she does, it only allows one spell to be cast in the contingency.

The first contingency scroll I picked up was from a thief that a vampire had killed. He actually dropped two different scrolls(or he and another thief that got killed did).Both of them were red, but I didn't notice it at the time, so I just tried to scribe the first one and failed. Then I noticed that the scrolls I picked up were red to my prot and no matter what I could not scribe the remaining contingency scroll. Now i just got another scroll of contingency, but it's the same story as the first time. Red. I still kept the first "bugged" red scroll with me, hoping it would become useable after I could use level 6 spells or something cause that's what I thought the problem was initially.
Sikret
QUOTE(zuras @ Mar 21 2010, 12:48 AM) *
All the contingency scrolls I find are red to my protag, meaning it will let me try to scribe them but they will always fail and I cannot equip the spell to cast as a scroll it either. He is a fighter/mage dual.

Is he a Berserker dualled to mage or a plain fighter dualled to mage? If I remember correctly, there was a bug in the vanilla game which made these scrolls unusable by dual-class Berserker-mages. Several similar bugs existed with other scrolls all of which are fixed in IA v6, but none of them were IA-bugs; they were all bugs of the vanilla game (the last few posts have been moved to this topic as they weren't about any bugs in Improved Anvil).

My sorcerer can cast the scroll from a hotkey, but when she does, it only allows one spell to be cast in the contingency.

This part isn't clear to me. How many spells did you expect to put in a contingency? Also, did you mean "Quick Item Slot" (instead of hotkey)?
zuras
QUOTE(Sikret @ Mar 20 2010, 08:32 PM) *
QUOTE(zuras @ Mar 21 2010, 12:48 AM) *
All the contingency scrolls I find are red to my protag, meaning it will let me try to scribe them but they will always fail and I cannot equip the spell to cast as a scroll it either. He is a fighter/mage dual.

Is he a Berserker dualled to mage or a plain fighter dualled to mage? If I remember correctly, there was a bug in the vanilla game which made these scrolls unusable by dual-class Berserker-mages. Several similar bugs existed with other scrolls all of which are fixed in IA v6, but none of them were IA-bugs; they were all bugs of the vanilla game (the last few posts will also be moved to the thread for bugs of the vanilla game in the near future).

My sorcerer can cast the scroll from a hotkey, but when she does, it only allows one spell to be cast in the contingency.
This part isn't clear to me. How many spells did you expect to put in a contingency? Also, did you mean "Quick Item Slot" (instead of hotkey)?

Hmm. Must be vanilla bug, then. I recently reinstalled the game and dont have any of the mods, I only installd a couple of the ease of use ones. I can't believe the final TOB patch didn't fix something as major as not even being able to use certain spells for certain classes.

Oh, I must have gotten contingency mixed up with chain contingency or something. Been a couple months since lastI played.
Sikret
You forgot to answer my question: Is your protagonist a Berserker dualled to mage or a plain fighter dualled to mage?
zuras
Ya, uhh. Protag is a zerker/mage dual.
antizyclon
Possibly infinity money exploit in spellhold.

When speaking with one of prisoners, one which give encoded note (go monkey go), everytime he gives one which stack in inventory and can be sold about 90 g.
Krell
Yeah, seems that way. The guilty one is Wanev. Didn't know about that one, myself. Still, that leaves plenty of other infinite gold and xp exploits open in IA v6. Frankly, the xp ones are far more important.
Sikret
Thanks for the report, antizyclon! We will block that exploit in v7. We have already blocked tons of vanilla game exploits, but there are still more we need to take care of. Players need to be their own policemen and do not (ab)use the remaining vanilla game exploits as long as they are still available.
antizyclon
In second lvl of WK near acid pool*(dont remember exactly how is called pool) are summoned green slime*(again not sure the name is correct) which give ~60 xp. From what I have seen they are summooned periodically and probably infinit xp gain.
SparrowJacek
I'm not sure if it can be repeated infinitely but spore colonies summon mushroom-guys(myconids right?) and each of them is worth 420 EXP... (after 3 summons I got bored, so maybe I'm wrong)
HTRT
They do have a limit, but you're right it would seem at first that there is no limit smile.gif

One XP exploit I would report is the master vampires. I did not test that for 4 hours in a row, but long enough to be pretty certain that the number of vampire brides they can summon is not finite. One particular application of this exploit could be on watcher's keep level 5, where 4 master vampires spawn with purple globe
SparrowJacek
Ok then... I have no time for trying eventual exploits for hours (sorry) but someone can confirm it:
in that location with screaming statue, where you have to answer some questions, wrong answer=summoned opponent, and if 1-st answer is right but second is wrong then skeleton warrior appears... and it drop 2h sword+1 and some stuff like gold, but one can summon many of them(tried 5 and every1 dropped sword+1)
Krell
Well...personally, didn't think that someone will find THAT one. It's one of the most well-hidden infinite gold exploits...
Vuki
QUOTE(Krell @ May 31 2013, 11:19 PM) *
Well...personally, didn't think that someone will find THAT one. It's one of the most well-hidden infinite gold exploits...

Personally I think the best, the most simple and the only really non-fixable gold exploit is the following:
CLUAConsole:AddGold("#")

I do not understand why some people try to use more the more complicated ones. In my opinion either use that one or play the game as it was intended but then of course do not use any exploit. But of course everybody can play the game as he/she wants.
Krell
QUOTE(Vuki @ Jun 1 2013, 11:10 AM) *
QUOTE(Krell @ May 31 2013, 11:19 PM) *

Personally I think the best, the most simple and the only really non-fixable gold exploit is the following:
CLUAConsole:AddGold("#")

I do not understand why some people try to use more the more complicated ones. In my opinion either use that one or play the game as it was intended but then of course do not use any exploit. But of course everybody can play the game as he/she wants.

The answer is simple. There are certain challenges on other forums (like Bioware's BG2 no-reload or trilogy no-reload challenges) which of course forbid external cheats like export-import, CLUAConsole or Shadowkeeper, but have no objections against applying in-game exploits like for example wrap-around CHA to 25 with the Rod of Terror usage (or the cursed +2 katana from BG1), infinite killing of respawning random monsters for xp and gold, etc. That's my main reason to look for them. Whether you call them cheats is up to you, it's allowed by the game engine.

I have to admit I became seriously worried that you guys are gonna find all exploits still available. The Sahuagin city exploit wasn't very hard to detect, but the Sewer Bridge exploit was IMO nearly impossible for anyone to detect... But there are more indeed, much more, keep looking smile.gif there are in-game xp exploits in every chapter of the game!

Another recently found stat exploit I want to report is the Machine of Lum the Mad. With enough patience and the right equipment, the Dexterity of party members can be wrapped around to 25.
Sikret
Using in-game exploit is cheating, Period.

But, since some people want to fool their own conscience and say they are allowed or are somehow different from using the console, we will do our best to block as many as we find. Tons of them are already blocked actually and we keep looking and appreciate player reports to find more exploits.
Vuki
QUOTE(Krell @ Jun 1 2013, 11:39 AM) *
The answer is simple. There are certain challenges on other forums (like Bioware's BG2 no-reload or trilogy no-reload challenges) which of course forbid external cheats like export-import, CLUAConsole or Shadowkeeper, but have no objections against applying in-game exploits like for example wrap-around CHA to 25 with the Rod of Terror usage (or the cursed +2 katana from BG1), infinite killing of respawning random monsters for xp and gold, etc. That's my main reason to look for them. Whether you call them cheats is up to you, it's allowed by the game engine.

Ok, I see now the reason, however I still cannot understand it completely. To be honest XP harvesting is really boring and it is much more fun to play the game "normally". But we are all different and I understand that for some people it is challenging and interesting.
Sikret
QUOTE(Vuki @ Jun 1 2013, 03:20 PM) *
Ok, I see now the reason, however I still cannot understand it completely. To be honest XP harvesting is really boring and it is much more fun to play the game "normally". But we are all different and I understand that for some people it is challenging and interesting.

There is actually no challenge in xp and gold harvesting. It's just a way to kill the challenge and win the game. The self-contradiction is when someone installs IA and even plays it on insane, but then uses those exploits, which clearly defeats the purpose of installing IA and seeking the challenge. The only remaining logical explanation is that it is not for the challenge, but just to win and "show off" in various forums. smile.gif
Sikret
QUOTE(antizyclon @ May 14 2013, 04:51 AM) *
When speaking with one of prisoners, one which give encoded note (go monkey go), everytime he gives one which stack in inventory and can be sold about 90 g.

Exploit blocked.

QUOTE(antizyclon @ May 23 2013, 05:09 AM) *
In second lvl of WK near acid pool*(dont remember exactly how is called pool) are summoned green slime*(again not sure the name is correct) which give ~60 xp. From what I have seen they are summooned periodically and probably infinit xp gain.

Blocked.

QUOTE(HTRT @ May 29 2013, 01:20 AM) *
One XP exploit I would report is the master vampires. I did not test that for 4 hours in a row, but long enough to be pretty certain that the number of vampire brides they can summon is not finite. One particular application of this exploit could be on watcher's keep level 5, where 4 master vampires spawn with purple globe

Fixed. The first 4 waves will still give xp, after that, the brides won't give xp any more.

QUOTE(SparrowJacek @ Jun 1 2013, 01:22 AM) *
Ok then... I have no time for trying eventual exploits for hours (sorry) but someone can confirm it:
in that location with screaming statue, where you have to answer some questions, wrong answer=summoned opponent, and if 1-st answer is right but second is wrong then skeleton warrior appears... and it drop 2h sword+1 and some stuff like gold, but one can summon many of them(tried 5 and every1 dropped sword+1)

And blocked.

Thanks for the reports, guys.
Vuki
I have found a very minor bug regarding the Dryad quest from the dungeon. If the Acorn is in a Bag of Holding when you speak with the Dryad at the lake then program behaves in a way like you do not have the Acorn. If it is in your inventory and not in the Bag of Holding then everything goes normally and you can offer it to her.
Sikret
Will check it. Thanks.
SparrowJacek
The description of monk should be changed a bit, there is(about damage):
Level 15-17 1-20
Level 18+ 1-20

A really small change, but descendants of Chuck Norris deserve it smile.gif

And... if their hands become a +4 weapon it should be mentioned(hmm don't they?)
Vuki
There is an interesting bug in the cold room in the Sphere. There is a snow troll and sometimes it cannot be killed. If I move the mouse pointer over on him then I see that he is dead (text says: "Dead") but he is still fighting. Reload can help on the issue fortunately.

Update: This time after the reload I was able to kill him twice. First he layed down and text said that he is dead (I got the XP as well) but he behave just like normal trolls when they "Near Dead" status. Kitrixx bite him and he died really (giving me the XP again).
Vuki
I used Limited wish in the first battle against Ironicus. I wished MGoI on everybody (there was no better option, so why not?). When it was casted one of my character was already dead. Battle finished, 5 chars survived, party memorize and rested (MGoI was already expired before resting). After rest I raised my dead char and suddenly everybody except that character become protected again by MGoI. The game text says:
X - Minor Globe of Invulnerability : Y
This text occurs 5 times where X was changed every time (5 times for the 5 survived chars) and Y was always the raised char. also game displayed 5 times the X - Shielded message.

Just one comment: why does Ironicus fight so badly in this battle? Is there a special role play reason for it? Maybe he underestimated party? Because the casting of 2 Dispel Maic, some MMMs and a True Sight (maybe 2) must be far away from his full potential.
Vuki
I reload the game and this time the dead character become shielded after the raise dead. The text still appears five times but this time it was
Y - Minor Globe of Invulnerability : Y
where Y is the raised char.
Krell
This happens 100% when using Limited Wish for MGoI. I've noticed a similar bug happening with Wishes for mass Heal too - raised character is fully healed despite the Wish for Heal being a long time ago - even before resting.

I don't consider Hell Irenicus to be out of potential, since he can dispel specific protections on hit. Alongside his spells (triple ADHW CC) this is very dangerous to party fighters.
Vuki
QUOTE(Krell @ Aug 3 2013, 05:50 PM) *
This happens 100% when using Limited Wish for MGoI. I've noticed a similar bug happening with Wishes for mass Heal too - raised character is fully healed despite the Wish for Heal being a long time ago - even before resting.

I was sure that this is more general however I was not sure if it is working excatly this way every time. Especially because it did not work this way if you reload after saving the game.

I don't consider Hell Irenicus to be out of potential, since he can dispel specific protections on hit. Alongside his spells (triple ADHW CC) this is very dangerous to party fighters.

In this fight he did not trigger his CC. Please do not forget it was the first fight in Spellhold and not the fight in Hell.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.