> Unfixed bugs of vanilla game, Send them here if you find any
Sikret
post May 14 2007, 09:16 AM
Post #1

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

Hi,

If you happen to find any new bugs in the original game which are not yet fixed by IA, please report them to me either via PMs or by sending them here in this thread.

Before sending any reports, make sure that you have already installed Baldurdash TOB Fixpack v1.12 (no other fixpacks) as well as the newest version of Improved Anvil. Also, make sure that you have followed IA's installation instructions very precisely.

Thanks in advance

This post has been edited by Sikret: May 14 2007, 09:29 AM

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Cheating is not confined to using external software or the console commands. Abusing the flaws and limitations of the game engine to do something that a human Dungeon Master would not accept or allow is cheating.
Go to the top of the page

Quote Post
Raven
post May 20 2007, 02:37 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Senior Mod Tester
Tactical reputation: 4

Enemy mages cast Globe of Invulnerability then Spider Swarm targeted on themselves, which fails because of the Globe. Rayic Gethras is one mage who does this (if he lasts long enough smile.gif )

Quote Post
Sikret
post May 20 2007, 02:59 PM
Post #3

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

QUOTE(Raven @ May 20 2007, 07:07 PM) *
Enemy mages cast Globe of Invulnerability then Spider Swarm targeted on themselves, which fails because of the Globe. Rayic Gethras is one mage who does this (if he lasts long enough smile.gif )

Just fixed the problem in Rayic's script.

By the way, thanks for sending this report here in this thread (rather than the IA bug thread), because none of IA's improved mages have such a problem in their scripts.

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Cheating is not confined to using external software or the console commands. Abusing the flaws and limitations of the game engine to do something that a human Dungeon Master would not accept or allow is cheating.

Quote Post
devSin
post May 20 2007, 03:12 PM
Post #4

Forum Member

These will always fail. The problem is with the way the engine handles external targets run on the caster -- the ability and effect are set to target elsewhere, but the actual summoning effects "link" back to the caster (out of necessity; the engine needs to target the caster to determine the allegiance of the summoned character). Normally, effects that target self bypass these sorts of resistances, but trying to affect the caster when the caster isn't the target doesn't correctly bypass the immunities (even though the script has it cast on the caster, the engine still treats it differently).

In short, the spell will fail even if the target is an enemy or a point on the ground. You'll see this behavior if you have Imoen cast Minor Globe and then try to cast Monster Summoning (you should get the "Spell Ineffective" message). The solution is to set the power level for these types of effects to 0 (thereby allowing them to bypass the immunity to spell level effects of the globe). This won't resolve the problem when the protection is a Spell Immunity or other spell that doesn't protect by spell level, but it should fix the Globe of Invulnerability funk.

I believe the fixpack fixes this (along with some other power issues that can cause problems).

This post has been edited by devSin: May 20 2007, 03:18 PM

Quote Post
Sikret
post May 20 2007, 03:34 PM
Post #5

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

QUOTE(devSin @ May 20 2007, 07:42 PM) *
These will always fail. The problem is with the way the engine handles external targets run on the caster -- the ability and effect are set to target elsewhere, but the actual summoning effects "link" back to the caster (out of necessity; the engine needs to target the caster to determine the allegiance of the summoned character). Normally, effects that target self bypass these sorts of resistances, but trying to affect the caster when the caster isn't the target doesn't correctly bypass the immunities (even though the script has it cast on the caster, the engine still treats it differently).

I know this. I fixed it but not by changing the spell's target.

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Quote Post
Raven
post May 20 2007, 03:38 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Senior Mod Tester

QUOTE(Sikret @ May 20 2007, 03:59 PM) *

By the way, thanks for sending this report here in this thread (rather than the IA bug thread), because none of IA's improved mages have such a problem in their scripts.

No problem. I realized that was the case.

Something else: I'm not sure this is a bug but Barbarian Rage imposes a penalty of 2 points on save vs. spell. IMHO this should be a 2 point bonus on saves vs. spells (i.e. reduce save by 2 points). I don't believe the Barbarian's enraged state should make him/her more vulnerable to magic.

I wanted to post this here so it could be discussed, since I'm not sure I'm right...

Quote Post
Sikret
post May 20 2007, 03:53 PM
Post #7

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

Barbarian rage's description in the game is ambiguous. It says:

"Gives a 2 point Armor Class penalty and a +2 to saves vs. Magic".

It seems that it should be interpreted it as "a +2 penalty to saves vs. Magic" unless we find other evidence to believe in the opposite. The ability actually gives 2 points of penalty to saves vs. magic in the game, which confirms the interpretation that it meant to be a penalty.

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Quote Post
leonidas
post May 20 2007, 06:01 PM
Post #8

Forum Member

NEVAZIAH.CRE (the lich you fight in edwin's nether scroll quest) is bugged atm. It's actually a combination of IA and his vanilla bg2 script. But it felt on-topic, so I'll post it here.

He has a similar issue to rayic gethras; he will cast monster summoning 3 and animate dead, but neither work because he is immune to level 5 spells. Also (and I will double-check this) when IA is installed, he gains massive innate damage resistances (and regeneration) that make him immune to all but crushing damage (and he is still about 75% resistant to that). So he becomes ridiculously tough to kill for a mob worth 8k xp.

This post has been edited by leonidas: May 20 2007, 06:01 PM

Quote Post
Sikret
post May 21 2007, 08:41 AM
Post #9

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

QUOTE(leonidas @ May 20 2007, 10:31 PM) *
NEVAZIAH.CRE (the lich you fight in edwin's nether scroll quest) is bugged atm. It's actually a combination of IA and his vanilla bg2 script. But it felt on-topic, so I'll post it here.

He actually doesn't use any of the IA scripts. It's just his own script of the vanilla game.
He has a similar issue to rayic gethras; he will cast monster summoning 3 and animate dead, but neither work because he is immune to level 5 spells.

I'll fix his script.

Also (and I will double-check this) when IA is installed, he gains massive innate damage resistances (and regeneration) that make him immune to all but crushing damage (and he is still about 75% resistant to that). So he becomes ridiculously tough to kill for a mob worth 8k xp.

Yes, unlike other liches, he already had damage resistance in the vanilla game and it stacks with the resistance IA gives to all liches. I will fix this too. Thanks for the report.

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Quote Post
thetruth
post May 21 2007, 01:45 PM
Post #10

Retired team member
Tactical reputation: 2

QUOTE(Sikret @ May 20 2007, 05:53 PM) *

Barbarian rage's description in the game is ambiguous. It says:

"Gives a 2 point Armor Class penalty and a +2 to saves vs. Magic".

It seems that it should be interpreted it as "a +2 penalty to saves vs. Magic" unless we find other evidence to believe in the opposite. The ability actually gives 2 points of penalty to saves vs. magic in the game, which confirms the interpretation that it meant to be a penalty.

I don't think that it can be misinterpreted Sikret. The penalty refers only to the AC. IMO you should fix it. (makes more sense either if it's a bonus to the save vs. Magic).

Quote Post
leonidas
post May 21 2007, 02:44 PM
Post #11

Forum Member

QUOTE(thetruth @ May 21 2007, 01:45 PM) *

I don't think that it can be misinterpreted Sikret. The penalty refers only to the AC. IMO you should fix it. (makes more sense either if it's a bonus to the save vs. Magic).

I concur, if you look at rings of protection for example, they also say +1 bonus to saves, when in actual fact they reduce them (make them better).

Don't think there is much ambiguity, rather just an out-and-out bug.

Quote Post
Sikret
post May 21 2007, 03:47 PM
Post #12

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

The problem is that in other cases (such as Improved Invisibility) AC and saves move in the same direction. You get bonus to AC, you get bonus to saves. I don't see what kind of change in a character's conditions may cause penalty to AC but bonus to saving throws. You either become angry and careless about your defence or you become more focused and more careful about your defence. In either case, the AC and saves should be modified in the same direction. Hence, I still have reservations/hesitation to accept that it is a bug. I'm open to more arguments, of course.

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Quote Post
Raven
post May 21 2007, 04:16 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Senior Mod Tester

QUOTE(Sikret @ May 21 2007, 04:47 PM) *

The problem is that in other cases (such as Improved Invisibility) AC and saves move in the same direction. You get bonus to AC, you get bonus to saves. I don't see what kind of change in a character's conditions may cause penalty to AC but bonus to saving throws. You either become angry and careless about your defence or you become more focused and more careful about your defence. In either case, the AC and saves should be modified in the same direction. Hence, I still have reservations/hesitation to accept that it is a bug. I'm open to more arguments, of course.

My idea of Barbarian rage is that the character psyches themselves up into a frenzy. While physically they are easier to hit their heightened mental state allows them to shrug off the effects of harmful magic with greater ease. This is represented by the immunities granted and, I believe, by a save bonus.

I personally don't think it makes sense to have immunity to many spells/effects - hold, charm and so on - but yet a penalty against other spells!

But Sikret I can see where you are coming from on this and I understand completely if you don't want to make any change.

Quote Post
thetruth
post May 21 2007, 04:20 PM
Post #14

Retired team member
Tactical reputation: 2

QUOTE(Sikret @ May 21 2007, 05:47 PM) *

The problem is that in other cases (such as Improved Invisibility) AC and saves move in the same direction.

Yes and in this case it is stated clearly in the description, that it's a bonus to AC and the saving throws, like clear is IMO the + (=bonus) to the s.throws of the Barbarian's Rage ability.

You get bonus to AC, you get bonus to saves. I don't see what kind of change in a character's conditions may cause penalty to AC but bonus to saving throws. You either become angry and careless about your defence or you become more focused and more careful about your defence. In either case, the AC and saves should be modified in the same direction.

What makes me wondering is if it's correct the +2 AC penalty.
For Berserkers there is a bonus (-2) to AC while enraged so it doesn't make much sense.

But for the saving throw I am sure that it's a bonus, since an enraged character can avoid the effects of many spells (mainly mind-affecting spells).
(as stated also in 2ed books)

Quote Post
Arkain
post May 21 2007, 04:37 PM
Post #15

Forum Member

Although it's another set of rules the Barbarian Rage's explanation of D&D 3.X clearly states that the raging character gains a bonus to some saving throws and a penalty to his AC: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/barbarian.htm#rage

My idea of a rage is the same as Raven's: the character enters a stage of frenzy, attacking with more strength and brutally. As he is so enraged and focused on... whatever... he is able to withstand the negative effects of certain spells or other magical effects. Due to this the AC penalty occurs: the barbarian attacks with more brutality (strength), has a higher threshold of pain (more con -> HP) etc.. As he ignores most other things than combat and killing he also tends to ignore his defense a bit more, so he may get hit by an attack he might have been able to avoid before (for example: he would have backed off a bit then charged again at the foe, but in this case he simply charged and charged some more so he got hit while relentlessly attacking the opponent).

Quote Post
luan
post May 22 2007, 03:51 AM
Post #16

Forum Member

Unrelated to the Barbarian rage discussion:

You can sell equipment to Sister Farielle in the temple Waukeen, Saradush for extremely high prices. Her rates feel like 3x/4x more than any SoA counterpart stores.

I'll post more if I find other instances of shopkeepers with this quirk.

Quote Post
Sikret
post May 22 2007, 05:46 AM
Post #17

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

QUOTE(thetruth @ May 21 2007, 08:50 PM) *
But for the saving throw I am sure that it's a bonus, since an enraged character can avoid the effects of many spells (mainly mind-affecting spells).
(as stated also in 2ed books)

If anyone can present a related quote from a 2nd edition text, it can help us to decide.

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Quote Post
Sikret
post May 22 2007, 05:51 AM
Post #18

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

QUOTE(luan @ May 22 2007, 08:21 AM) *
Unrelated to the Barbarian rage discussion:

You can sell equipment to Sister Farielle in the temple Waukeen, Saradush for extremely high prices. Her rates feel like 3x/4x more than any SoA counterpart stores.

I'll post more if I find other instances of shopkeepers with this quirk.

Thanks, luan!

Please compare these three stores for me regarding their buying prices:

1- Sister Farielle

2- Temple of Sekolah

3- Ribald's special store (not his ordinary one)

For example tell me how much each of them buy a diamond if your reputation is 20.

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Quote Post
luan
post May 22 2007, 06:57 AM
Post #19

Forum Member

Will do, however... where is the Temple of Sekolah?

Quote Post
Sikret
post May 22 2007, 07:05 AM
Post #20

The Tactician
Group Icon

Distinguished Developer

QUOTE(luan @ May 22 2007, 11:27 AM) *
Will do, however... where is the Temple of Sekolah?

It's in the city of caverns (the underwater city).

--------------------
Improved Anvil

Quote Post

22 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 01:26 PM