Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Corona quarantine BG2
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
HTRT
Great to see you guys are still putting in the interest biggrin.gif

I would say don't forget the extra +4 to saves enemy mages get when they use improved invisibility. The spell used by the player is fine, but the spell used by opponents does several things, including invulnerability to ruby ray and stuff. It used to be fine but for some reason with ee the problem arose. Locally, it was simply a matter of removing the +4 to each save in the special enemy-exclusive spell version's effects as the improved invisibility effect itself provides it.

Good luck with all that !
critto
Hey HTRT!

I've thought I'd fixed all those a long time ago. I'll re-check once again just to make sure.
psychlopes
hello,
when I try to install IA tweaks it gives me an error message:

ERROR ** [SETUPIATWEAKS.TP2] not found.
Make sure that you have unpacked the archive correctly and
that you are not trying to run this file from inside an archive.
Press ENTER to exit.

I installed only IA before it .
critto
Rename SetupIATweaks.exe to Setup-IATweaks.exe

This is fixed in the latest commit on the github, but the release zip is still a bit outdated. I'll renew it later so there's no confusion.
psychlopes
thank you, that fixed it.
I couldn't find the option for removing the hardened version of spellhold though.
psychlopes
nevermind. I just downloaded the master version and it has it.
thank you
critto
2 HTRT:

I've looked through the spells and only found Mass Invisibility still applying extra bonuses to saving throws. This will be fixed in the upcoming release of v7. Do you have any other spells in mind that I should check?
HTRT
Hmm true...Nice find with mass invisibility. I'm probably using an old version i.e. the same version where several item restrictions didn't work well like the truth/judgement day for good aligned fighters, boots of ranger lord for rangers, hood of the honorless for (all) thieves, etc.
I believe these item restrictions have been fixed later, cause I remember reading something about that.

SPWII41 was the culprit, but apparently it is working for example in Improved Anvil-Master instead of my old version, so nevermind !

I'm reading my last notes for that archer run before I stopped and only information I didn't share about possible inconsistencies would be the following :

-A vampire called Vampire had the string Panic after Dorn's aura of despair despite (obviously) not getting actually scared.

-Flaming fists from Rasaad is dispellable but the icon doesn't wear off if dispelled, although the actual effects are dispelled. It doesn't seem to be something that should be dispelled if we compare it to other "innate-physical-fighter-type" abilities in the mod.
Mazzy's strength, invoke courage and righteous magic abilities are dispellable as well (and maybe shouldn't).

-Guardian of the ring tried remove magic on Rasaad's undispellable innate IH. It is quite likely that many IA dispellers including mages and purge magic users would likewise recognize a monk's IH and waste their efforts on that. Riskbreakers have a real innate improved haste (which is dispellable; understandably for balance purposes) and the monks have some flavour ability flurry of blows that is in terms of gameplay an improved haste. Don't know how you want to deal with that, but minimally monsters probably shouldn't recognize the monk's ability as a real IH if it's undispellable.

I don't think I will be continuing that run unfortunately. I would still like to say : Based on that incomplete archer run and countless tests/experiments in other runs, to me it certainly wouldn't seem exaggerated to go with a relatively universal fix for missile weapons in IA.

Something to take into account beforehand : missile weapons ARE usable and (quite) useful in many fights early on and mid game. Alas, many opponents are absolutely impervious to them and their usability late game is abysmal.

The idea I had would be to implement some kind of : new missile resistance = 1-((1-n)/2) where n is the slashing/piercing/crushing resistance if they are equal to each other. For example, a monster with 60 resistance to slashing, piercing and crushing would acquire a 80% missile resistance instead of 100%; monsters that are seemingly designed with weapons in mind, for example gem golems, ultra golems, would still remain immune to missile.

The reasoning behind this change would be to make some players happy and feel less obligated by IA to play a certain way and according to my experiences, taking into account the monster strengths, regeneration, sustainability, pressure to damage them quickly, impossibility to leave most fights, specific vs missile AC bonuses to many opponents, it wouldn't unbalance the game. The main idea of making most monsters totally invulnerable to missiles was to avoid cheesy uses of missiles, but with such a ruleset and the formidable challenge posed by many IA monsters, I highly doubt this kind of vulnerability would allow for drastically easy encounter solving. Remember that even with equal resistance to all types of physical damage, melee weapons will almost always do (a lot) more damage, so this difference increases further if the missile resistance is better than the 3 others.

It would not be possible to take down the rakshasha prince with enough +4 missile attacks and enough tacho and attacks per round. In a realistic scenario, you could see for example an archer reliably damaging the prince non-stop, but this amount of damage would only partially work out the regeneration of the prince, being far from enough to completely cancel it.

Anyway, just an idea !

Another thing I wanted to talk about is I recently finished a bg1-sod-bg2-tob walkthrough. The protagonist was a necromancer and I was able to play the entire saga without any kind of inconsistency whatsoever. Sensible stuff such as being a necromancer was properly checked. I did get one inconsistency, but it isn't IA related I think : I found 2 helms of balduran in its usual container. Other than that, everything behaved flawlessly. The 500K experience on party definitly wasn't game breaking at all. It did make the early game easier, but overall the run felt quite legit and satisfying. I decided to test improved spellhold since I had that xp boost. Party was able to defeat everything theoritically doable before spellhold, including mage stronghold up to the old one battle, twisted rune, firkraag, alhoon, umar, kangaxx, slaver hq, WK3, post firkraag adventures, etc. The only exclusion was orcus. This type of run was harder and more satisfying than the usual 2 350 000 spellhold ones, imo. Jon Irenicus in harder spellhold is really hard because he summons a TON of golems and party only had 4 800 000 xp, which meant very few HLAS to get rid of the golems.

I tested two characters intensively in this run :

A berseker 9 dual class thief and Jaheira.

Berseker-9 ->thief : Use any item is currently "broken", but I think you are aware of that. Even though it is "broken" and that character can use very interesting combinations of items, I didn't feel like this character was breaking my game. As a matter of fact, he was among the weakest of my arguably powerful party. This guy was able to use the holy avenger (IA upgrade with the 5% chance to dispel) for most of the game and it was a very very nice weapon. The 5% dispel includes dispelling stuff such as hardiness and spell protections, so when it does land, for example on Rozvankee, it wreaks havoc. Interestingly enough, this holy avenger IA upgrade allows this character to backstab despite being a two handed sword. To keep the pleasure of having a thief, I refrained myself from using items that would permantently disable thief buttons, such as necro helmet, cernd's cloak, etc. Even with such restrictions, this character was a master of magic resistance and was able to reach very high amounts of physical resistance although it wasn't necessary to use that. The sunlight cursed helmet from the four helped with his low tach0 and later in the game he was able to use tenser's transformation with a noble staff. All of that seems really original and exciting, but ultimately this character proved strong, fun, but not overpowered at all, because : no warrior HLAS. Lack of warrior HLAS and low number of attacks per round (even if he could borrow jaheiras' gloves) restricted his power. MANY opponents are susceptible to backstab, you just have to test a little. Whenever an opponent was a target for backstab, this opponent got ripped apart, though once again it didn't unbalance my game and I still think he was my weakest fighter overall. Since I was going with improved spellhold I could have dualled at level 13 and make him a kensai/thief instead. I do not think the character would have been a lot more powerful. Of course, a far fetched non-legit exaggeration such as a 28 kensai->29 thief would be an atrociously powerful character.

Jaheira : Was a very powerful early game character. Her clan hunter was insanely helpful and remained pretty strong for the entire game. In mid game and certainly late game, I observed that her lack of spell casting alacrity combined with her reliance on over-preparation to become a fighting juggernaut made her a second class character, although still very strong overall. What I mean is that ultimately in the game you want somoene either ready to do great in physical combat with minimal prepration, or somoene capable of doing a lot in a little time in terms of spellcasting. There were many times where she faded away with a dispel/purge/script dispel and had trouble having great impact on the battle. Many of her critical buffs last one turn, so you don't get the juggernaut jaheira for long. I loved her usage of giant strength (rarely have anyone to cast that early on). I know that many people consider her to be very powerful and so do I, but I don't see her as a must have for a very difficult run. I feel shy to share this because people regard her as too strong, but I would have really liked to see some nice useful spells on the clan hunter who is a high level druid; the clan hunter spell selection seemed a little dull to me.

Now for the present, I made a very small private personnal private mod to include the vagrant kit in bg1, mostly following IA code. I haven't done an entire playthrough to testify properly for it, but I have made many tests and for now it seems :

1) The vagrant is totally legitimate as far as IA bg2 goes, even for stuff as sensible as the IAMVAGRANT variable, vagrant-specific items, specific quests, etc. This is great as maybe one day we could have the possibility of playing the IA party for the entire saga, see how they fared on the swoard coast before becoming strong heroes smile.gif
2) The icewind dale spells from SCS in bg1 ee and sod can be exported without risk in a bg2 improved anvil game. The game will simply consider these spells do not exist as the program is missing the ressources and it will gracefully avoid their existence. They were all removed from spellbooks in a seemingly totally bugless way and the characters seem flawless.

So that's it, nice to see you guys are still working on IA ! Good luck and have a nice summer !
critto
I believe these item restrictions have been fixed later, cause I remember reading something about that.
Yes, those were fixed.

SPWII41 was the culprit, but apparently it is working for example in Improved Anvil-Master instead of my old version, so nevermind !

Yes, that was a long time ago. I believe the II issue was one of the first fixed after release of EE.

-A vampire called Vampire had the string Panic after Dorn's aura of despair despite (obviously) not getting actually scared.
He's probably missing a specific protection from that particular string. Application of these effects is not centralised so things get forgotten, the more there are of them. I'll try to find and fix it for consistency's sake.

-Flaming fists from Rasaad is dispellable but the icon doesn't wear off if dispelled, although the actual effects are dispelled. It doesn't seem to be something that should be dispelled if we compare it to other "innate-physical-fighter-type" abilities in the mod.

I do not really remember what are the flaming fists you're talking about but I'll check this ability.

Mazzy's strength, invoke courage and righteous magic abilities are dispellable as well (and maybe shouldn't).
IIRC, these were indended to be dispellable but maybe they shoulnd't be. There's too much undispellable stuff in IA and this is something I don't really like.

-Guardian of the ring tried remove magic on Rasaad's undispellable innate IH. It is quite likely that many IA dispellers including mages and purge magic users would likewise recognize a monk's IH and waste their efforts on that. Riskbreakers have a real innate improved haste (which is dispellable; understandably for balance purposes) and the monks have some flavour ability flurry of blows that is in terms of gameplay an improved haste. Don't know how you want to deal with that, but minimally monsters probably shouldn't recognize the monk's ability as a real IH if it's undispellable.

I'll check it out, thanks. This should be fixed either in the ability itself or in the AI.

I don't think I will be continuing that run unfortunately. I would still like to say : Based on that incomplete archer run and countless tests/experiments in other runs, to me it certainly wouldn't seem exaggerated to go with a relatively universal fix for missile weapons in IA.

Something to take into account beforehand : missile weapons ARE usable and (quite) useful in many fights early on and mid game. Alas, many opponents are absolutely impervious to them and their usability late game is abysmal.
I've had drafts of possible changes to the mechanics of missile weapons for some time now, we even discussed this internally in our workroom. It's hard to find a solution that works while trying to minimize potential for abuse that was fought against in IA for a long time. But I'm not a fan of using complicated mechanics to police the player's behavior that's why I haven't done anything about this for a long time.

Of course, there's a radical approach to just stop caring about it, bring back the missile weapons in their original form, applying resistance to missiles only based on the enemy's resistance to piercing weapons, and then try to bring something new as a way to enrich the playing experience.

The idea I had would be to implement some kind of : new missile resistance = 1-((1-n)/2) where n is the slashing/piercing/crushing resistance if they are equal to each other. For example, a monster with 60 resistance to slashing, piercing and crushing would acquire a 80% missile resistance instead of 100%; monsters that are seemingly designed with weapons in mind, for example gem golems, ultra golems, would still remain immune to missile.

Yes, this is something that would re-configure the missile resistance in a very basic and very doable manner.

The reasoning behind this change would be to make some players happy and feel less obligated by IA to play a certain way and according to my experiences, taking into account the monster strengths, regeneration, sustainability, pressure to damage them quickly, impossibility to leave most fights, specific vs missile AC bonuses to many opponents, it wouldn't unbalance the game. The main idea of making most monsters totally invulnerable to missiles was to avoid cheesy uses of missiles, but with such a ruleset and the formidable challenge posed by many IA monsters, I highly doubt this kind of vulnerability would allow for drastically easy encounter solving. Remember that even with equal resistance to all types of physical damage, melee weapons will almost always do (a lot) more damage, so this difference increases further if the missile resistance is better than the 3 others.

It would not be possible to take down the rakshasha prince with enough +4 missile attacks and enough tacho and attacks per round. In a realistic scenario, you could see for example an archer reliably damaging the prince non-stop, but this amount of damage would only partially work out the regeneration of the prince, being far from enough to completely cancel it.

Anyway, just an idea !
Thanks for sharing. This might be something that I'll try to do in the future once I'm done with the current changes.

Another thing I wanted to talk about is I recently finished a bg1-sod-bg2-tob walkthrough. The protagonist was a necromancer and I was able to play the entire saga without any kind of inconsistency whatsoever. Sensible stuff such as being a necromancer was properly checked. I did get one inconsistency, but it isn't IA related I think : I found 2 helms of balduran in its usual container. Other than that, everything behaved flawlessly. The 500K experience on party definitly wasn't game breaking at all. It did make the early game easier, but overall the run felt quite legit and satisfying. I decided to test improved spellhold since I had that xp boost. Party was able to defeat everything theoritically doable before spellhold, including mage stronghold up to the old one battle, twisted rune, firkraag, alhoon, umar, kangaxx, slaver hq, WK3, post firkraag adventures, etc. The only exclusion was orcus. This type of run was harder and more satisfying than the usual 2 350 000 spellhold ones, imo. Jon Irenicus in harder spellhold is really hard because he summons a TON of golems and party only had 4 800 000 xp, which meant very few HLAS to get rid of the golems.

It is strange that you didn't find any inconsistencies at all, maybe you just haven't noticed them. In any case, I've addressed the issue of character import in the recently published 6.5. There shouldn't be anything missing out if you import a character from the previous part of the saga (this only matters for Necromancer right now, I guess).

Berseker-9 ->thief : Use any item is currently "broken", but I think you are aware of that. Even though it is "broken" and that character can use very interesting combinations of items, I didn't feel like this character was breaking my game. As a matter of fact, he was among the weakest of my arguably powerful party.
Yes, this was made possible because I've removed many constraining checks from the global scripts. I'm not sure how UAI works against restricting item to specific character via a new EE engine opcode 319, whether it overrides it or not. And, of course, I've never addressed the issue of disabling the buttons. I'm glad to hear that it was fun for you to play it. I don't really care much about sustaining any effort to make UAI useless, but if I were to work on the thief kits more consistently and if something like this were to happen in the future, I'd probably remove UAI at all. It's just too much of a wild card to balance against.

Jaheira : Was a very powerful early game character. Her clan hunter was insanely helpful and remained pretty strong for the entire game. In mid game and certainly late game, I observed that her lack of spell casting alacrity combined with her reliance on over-preparation to become a fighting juggernaut made her a second class character, although still very strong overall. What I mean is that ultimately in the game you want somoene either ready to do great in physical combat with minimal prepration, or somoene capable of doing a lot in a little time in terms of spellcasting. There were many times where she faded away with a dispel/purge/script dispel and had trouble having great impact on the battle.

Yes, I realize this might be the case. Unfortunately, as it stands now, the mechanics of late-game IA rely very heavily upon enemies having a lot of lasting power via powerful resistances and scripted abilities which the party might overcome only with the use of more powerful class options that have access to similarly powerful melee/casting abilities. I have consiously avoided adding similarly overpowered abilities to the avenger kit or to Mazzy's kit. But I realize that it might be an unbalanced approach if the other side of the problem isn't addressed properly as well. With all that being said, maybe it makes sense to give the avenger kit possibility to use spell sequencers/triggers as a way to counteract certain scripted behaviors.

1) The vagrant is totally legitimate as far as IA bg2 goes, even for stuff as sensible as the IAMVAGRANT variable, vagrant-specific items, specific quests, etc. This is great as maybe one day we could have the possibility of playing the IA party for the entire saga, see how they fared on the swoard coast before becoming strong heroes
Yes, it is fairly easy to overcome the issue of importing a character if you're aware about these hidden application of scripting states. I've removed these crutches in 6.5, however, they are completely pointless. The whole saga would be cool to play, indeed, I've toyed with this idea for many years. But this would be a very long term project as long as I enjoy spending some of my free time to work on IA.

2) The icewind dale spells from SCS in bg1 ee and sod can be exported without risk in a bg2 improved anvil game. The game will simply consider these spells do not exist as the program is missing the ressources and it will gracefully avoid their existence. They were all removed from spellbooks in a seemingly totally bugless way and the characters seem flawless.

Yes, the EE engine has made many of these things much more sensible. There might still be some internal issues but this is very unlikely.

So that's it, nice to see you guys are still working on IA ! Good luck and have a nice summer !

Likewise. Hopefully, then next time you're around you'll be able to play the real v7 version.

EDIT: just as a follow up, I've fixed Flaming Fists and the vampire called Vampire locally. The guardian of the ring did not react to IH specifically, but I'm still thinking on whether the ability should be undispellable. I've also found some minor discrepancies in how Flurry of Blows and Diamond Body are set up, will fix those for the next version as well.
HTRT
I found some old Vagrant run (as early as when demogorgon battle was implemented) and would like to write a small report of information about 2 unusual classes, as the party was vagrant fighter-mage-cleric kensai kensai kensai wild mage.

Fighter-mage-cleric : a very well rounded character overall. I was skeptical at first because of the HLA nerfs for multi-class characters, especially triple class. He will be slightly meh at everything he can claim to do, unless you take time to buff and prepare. If you do prepare, you can have a very powerful and flexible character. With the help of the potion of elven expertise, his levels will remain somewhat relevant as you go through the game. Furthermore, the reward this character gets after demogorgon will help him reach xp cap or very close even in a 6 player party. He gets a quite reasonable 16 HLAS total, one level 9 mage slot, 3 level 7 cleric slots. Again, preparation is needed to make the most of him but his power can reach quite elevated summits. We're speaking of dual wielding black blade of disaster with flail of ages + 5 with righteous magic, using spell immunity and such, getting foreknowledge via the wizard slots, using champion's strength in a fight where you will be silenced to get a +6 tach0 advantage over any fighter who isn't a kensai, reaching the best overall armor class levels excepting swashbucklers, etc. I had a lot of fun playing this guy and I found him well suited with a vagrant party.

Wild mage : Probably the most interesting character I ever played in this mod. If you don't mind messing around and reloading, you can generate some pretty interesting effects such as pre-buffing with wish as early as level 14 or even before (provided you kill alhoon in the sewers), summoning skeleton warriors at the maximum power as early as level 10 with a lucky +5 to caster level, casting a pre-buff spell that ends up area of effect (once a stoneskin was cast on every party member !), stacking the Combat ready! spell on the party which provides +2 to hit and +2 damage to everyone for one turn and a lot more. The wild mage -5 to +5 alteration to caster level upon casting a spell can mean a very strong remove magic as well. My wild mage was wielding the staff of the magi and was a very interesting alternative as the "party mage". With demogorgon's reward, amulet of power, foreknowledge and robe of vecna he reached that prized +5 casting speed. With a different party, he could have used the gloves from the Four which grant another +1 to casting speed. Furthermore, this character could make for an interesting protagonist for an evil party because he could be using the robe of eloquence with the amulet of power, the gloves of spell weaving and eventually foreknowledge for a + 3 casting speed but permanent alacrity. Be warned though, as this character might struggle making memory of the apprenti. I would seriously consider playing with this evil aligned guy in the party as a druid protagonist.
chaser
Hi, everybody. I'm glad to see that IA v 6.5 has released.

However, I felt that this version was not intended for experienced players, but for novices, because the newly added items are TOO OP, and I think they are even more powerful than the items in the Four Mod.

In the previous versions, for example, the amount of weapons with additional crushing damage or magical damage were rare, and the gears which could increase APR were difficult to obtain. However, IA V6.5 adds many items with these properties. One of the most outrageous pieces of equipment I think is Treefolk's Fury +5, which has the damage of "1D6 +5, +10 vs. unnaturalcreatures, +5 crushing damage". In other words, the weapon deals a total of 21-26 damage to unnatural creatures such as golems, undead, etc, almost twice as much as any other weapons (In previous versions, the most damaging weapons averaged only 13-14 damage, such as the hammer of Thor (9-18, 13.5 average) and the Judgment Day (7-21, 14 average)).

In addition, I used to be very interested in the robe of Eloquence, because it required an evil protagonist and could bring an experience that no other gear could. Unfortunately it was cancelled.
critto
Hi chaser.

However, I felt that this version was not intended for experienced players, but for novices, because the newly added items are TOO OP, and I think they are even more powerful than the items in the Four Mod.
There wasn't really a conscious intention to target novice audience. The concept of treefolk items was around for some time in the workroom, it was Bulian's effort to bring it into the mod. It wasn't based on extensive testing so it is quite possible the balance might be off. We can tweak that easily. The same goes for other items, especially those designed for the NPCs. The intention was to open more possibilities, not to balance everything perfectly. Hopefully, this can be achieved with some feedback.

In addition, I used to be very interested in the robe of Eloquence, because it required an evil protagonist and could bring an experience that no other gear could. Unfortunately it was cancelled.

Thanks for the feedback. I will consider how these items could be brought back for those interested in playing with them.
chaser
Thank you critto, and also thanks to bulian. The tweaks to NPCs (especially for Hexxat biggrin.gif )and the addition of exclusive gears are great design, and hopefully future updates will keep the mod challenging.
bulian
Chaser,

Thanks for the feedback! Without that, it can be difficult to gauge what is good, OP, or bad. There is a bit of each in the game.

Regarding the treefolk club item, you're right it may be possible that item is OP - if you have a chance to forge it and test it in a game, I'd love to hear how it does. There are some significant costs with getting there though - the all-in price is 175k gold along with several crafting ingredients, including ones used in the Royal Elemental Staff item line and the Rimed Club +4 which isn't available until Watcher's Keep level 3 is cleared. It's also only usable by rangers and druids who suffer from APR and lack of GM compared to fighters unless other sacrifices are made. Still, you might be right - it might be OP.

Please keep giving this type of feedback.
chaser
@bulian

Here are some other thoughts:

In order to prevent the enemy mage's stoneskin from being consumed too quickly and casting spells to be easily interrupted, in the past version, the additional damage effects of weapons were often triggered with a certain probability, but for some of the new weapons, the damage effects are triggered per hit. In addition, these additional damages (especially the most adaptable crushing damage) works independently, which will make these weapons more effective than other weapons in fighting against highly resistant enemies. Therefore, I think such kind of new weapons should be slightly nerfed.
I think that increasing the conditions required to obtain new gears is a way to balance the difficulty. I also have an idea that once some more powerful equipment is acquired, the enemies encountered later will be strengthened as a whole. In this way, players will carefully consider the cost of forging them, which will also bring new challenges to those who are willing to try. Considering this change may be more complicated to carry out, and new gears also requires system design, I think that if possible, this mechanism can be added to the future version as a long-term plan.
tongtian
QUOTE(chaser @ Jul 9 2020, 12:12 AM) *
@bulian

Here are some other thoughts:

In order to prevent the enemy mage's stoneskin from being consumed too quickly and casting spells to be easily interrupted, in the past version, the additional damage effects of weapons were often triggered with a certain probability, but for some of the new weapons, the damage effects are triggered per hit. In addition, these additional damages (especially the most adaptable crushing damage) works independently, which will make these weapons more effective than other weapons in fighting against highly resistant enemies. Therefore, I think such kind of new weapons should be slightly nerfed.
I think that increasing the conditions required to obtain new gears is a way to balance the difficulty. I also have an idea that once some more powerful equipment is acquired, the enemies encountered later will be strengthened as a whole. In this way, players will carefully consider the cost of forging them, which will also bring new challenges to those who are willing to try. Considering this change may be more complicated to carry out, and new gears also requires system design, I think that if possible, this mechanism can be added to the future version as a long-term plan.

Challenging high difficulty enemies first and use the rewarded items to slaughter lower level enemies is one way to enjoy the game, so maybe it's not a good idea to change difficulty based on what items you have.
SparrowJacek

I just tested that. Additional damage does not pierce additional layers of stone skin. Both Corrosive lance and standard staff +3 need exactly 7 strikes to remove SS. % chance for bonus damage applies mostly to elemental damage, as it hits even though a character is protected by SS, thus enabling you to interrupt casting.
Azoth
Reinstalled IA 6.5.2/IATweaks 1.02 and playing slowly. Some observations:
Valygar as Vagrant has Charisma 10, but Vagrant requires Char 12.
Remove fear spell is not removing the fear symbol over avatar's head of Cloak of fear.
Simplified Economy: I was clearing the 2nd city area, collecting more than 15k gold and the plot was progressing. It felt a bit fast. But so far i like it a lot!
Enable the hardest versions of XP-based encounters in Chapters 2&3: Somehow i was expecting to get also the hardest Vanilla encounters. But no Bone Golem/2nd rune assassin in Skinner quest on 3rd floor.
critto
Thanks for the feedback, Azoth!

Valygar as Vagrant has Charisma 10, but Vagrant requires Char 12.
Yeah, it's kinda illegal, I'll probably fix it, but it does not affect anything.

Remove fear spell is not removing the fear symbol over avatar's head of Cloak of fear.

I'll check it out.

Enable the hardest versions of XP-based encounters in Chapters 2&3: Somehow i was expecting to get also the hardest Vanilla encounters. But no Bone Golem/2nd rune assassin in Skinner quest on 3rd floor.

We didn't target vanilla encounters specifically. I'll check this one in particular, if it could be tweaked.
Azoth
Thanks critto!

Another one:
~IATWEAKS/SETUP-IATWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #104 // Remove traps & locks: v1.02
Plot related doors in graveyard can be opened too early. Access to Bodhi's hideout.
AR0801 x=1403 y=963
AR0800 x=594 y=972
critto
Thanks, I'll see why they were affected by the patch.
Azoth
Same for the door to the Harper building in the docks. I can force it to open before doing the small task for the Harpers and kill Prebek.
lroumen
That's very nice progress. I will play this after my current run.
Azoth
QUOTE(critto @ Jun 21 2020, 08:18 PM) *
Well, I have found the reason. It was a mistake during patching the original Aerie's creature file. The slow spell was removed from her spell book, but not from a list of memorized spells. This causes the bug: the spell is sitting in the slot, but can't be seen because the game has nothing to reference it against. I've pushed the patch to the master on github. You can grab it from there and replay the sequence starting from the point prior to entering the room where you meet Aerie in the ogre form for the first time.

Or you can edit the save directly in Near Infinity. Game -> Open File -> Open External File, find the baldur.gam in the appropriate save's folder. Once it's opened, in the right upper corner (the "player characters" list) double click on "*ERIE6", go to the Edit tab, scroll down until you see "CRE resource" and double click it. In the newly opened window, scroll down the long list until you see "Memorization info 9". When you click it, you should see "Spell level: 2" and two third level wizard spells listed, one of them is Slow (SPWI312). If it is, double click the "Memorization info 9" line, select the Slow spell in the newly opened list and press the Remove button below. Now, you can close all windows (three in total) until you see the first one, with the "Player characters" in the upper right corner. Here, go to the Edit tab, press Save and confirm the overwrite. You should see the message the the file was saved and then a correct path to the baldur.gam

The issue should be resolved.

Same issue with Edwin and lvl3 spell Remove Magic.
critto
Thanks, I'll fix this.
Azoth
QUOTE(bulian @ Jun 16 2020, 11:53 PM) *
Awesome! Please share feedback and let us know if you come across any bugs. I'm excited to see you are giving the "hard mode" version a try.

Hard mode could be made a bit harder in d'Arnise Keep lvl1. My party is at 1.2M XP and i almost didn't feel that the troll wave was IA content.

SPOILER!
The wave i was fighting: 1xTroll, 2xGiant Troll, 1xSpirit Troll, 2xSpectral Troll
This encounter feels to easy, when i compare to the 2xYuan-Ti + 3xGreater Yuan-Ti + 1xMinotaur in Mekrath lab or to the 1xShade lich + 2xSL + 2x Greater Mummy in Temple Ruins.
Maybe set hard mode to: 2xNoble Troll, 3xSpirit Troll, 1xSpectral Troll
critto
Yes, it could be adjusted. In its current state the hard mode only activates the toughest level/xp-based versions of encounters that have already existed. This requires adding stuff that wasn't there in the first place which wasn't within the scope of that particular feature initially. Not that this particular change is hard, of course, and therefore could be implemented.
Azoth
QUOTE(critto @ Aug 17 2020, 06:04 AM) *
In its current state the hard mode only activates the toughest level/xp-based versions of encounters that have already existed.

Yes, i noticed that you were following the approach of taking toughest encounters below 2.35M XP for chapter 3.

Another one:
Simplified Economy: I was struggling a bit to find gems for certain vanilla upgrades (Silver Horn of Valhalla: Diamond) and EE quests (Neera Talisman of Hearthfire: 2xDiamond+Silver Necklace).
Is there a merchant selling that stuff?
critto
No, no merchant, only some monsters drop them. Diamonds, certainly are. I think I left some gem golems with unmodified drops. Can't tell which ones, though, at the moment. Neera's necklace is a vanilla item? I might have missed the fact that some plot-related items for her require components.

Maybe I'll add the gems to some merchant for simplicity in the future update. Feel free to add missing stuff with the console if you need it.
Azoth
Some questions:
Is NPP or Combat Trance or the Harpers Ward protecting against Vampire: Domination? Im trying to find out what's causing the "Unaffected by effects from Domination" message on Jaheira. I dont see atm what is protecting her.

Normal Haste spell. Spell Description says: It negates Slow. But is it really cancelling the effect of slow? At least the slow icon on char portrait stays after hit by haste...
HTRT
I think it is her being an Half-Elf.
critto
Normal Haste spell. Spell Description says: It negates Slow. But is it really cancelling the effect of slow? At least the slow icon on char portrait stays after hit by haste...

Yes, it does. Haste and Slow opcodes cancel one another, depending on the order of application. I always thought that the portrait icons are built into these opcodes, but apparently they aren't. Haste needs a separate "Remove portrait icon" effect added. I'll fix it for the next version.
Azoth
QUOTE(HTRT @ Aug 23 2020, 01:00 PM) *
I think it is her being an Half-Elf.

Hmm...it's really weird.
I was casting Domination with my Necro on Jaheira. When failing the save she is "Unaffected by effects from Domination" in most of the cases, but in some rare cases she is being "Dominated". Is it dice roll dependent?
Same with Dire Charm.
HTRT
Half-elves have 30% immunity to charm and sleep and elves have 90%. So it's a kind of pure immunity that can occur regardless of the saving throw result. I'm almost certain it works against emotion, greater command and wing buffet's unconsciousness effect as well.
Azoth
It doesnt look like that the Vampire spawns in Firkaarg's Maze (AR1202) via SPWNVAMP.BCS are tougher in Hard Mode. At least less xp than the spawn <1.65M XP and no +3 weapons are required.
Azoth
A small cosmetic one: Right-clicking on the Conjure Clan Spirit ability says something about a Spirit Snake (see screenshot).
critto
It doesnt look like that the Vampire spawns in Firkaarg's Maze (AR1202) via SPWNVAMP.BCS are tougher in Hard Mode. At least less xp than the spawn <1.65M XP and no +3 weapons are required.
It was probably not included in the scope of the modification. I'll fix it.

A small cosmetic one: Right-clicking on the Conjure Clan Spirit ability says something about a Spirit Snake (see screenshot).

I didn't know you could do that in the EE. Quite a few abilities are probably missing their description in that manner. I'll see if I can find and fix some of them.
Azoth
QUOTE(critto @ Aug 31 2020, 06:26 AM) *
It was probably not included in the scope of the modification. I'll fix it.

It was included, but i fail to see why the 2nd group is tougher than the first (no +3 weapons and less xp):
CODE
IF
    XPLT(Player1,1650000)
    Global("Iahardmode","GLOBAL",0)
    Entered([ANYONE])
THEN
    RESPONSE #100
        CreateCreature("vamold01",[-1.-1],S)  // Vampire
        CreateCreature("vampim01",[-1.-1],S)  // Eminent Vampire
        CreateCreature("vampim01",[-1.-1],S)  // Eminent Vampire
        CreateCreature("vamver01",[-1.-1],S)  // Vampire
END

IF
    OR(2)
        XPGT(Player1,1649999)
        Global("Iahardmode","GLOBAL",1)
    XPLT(Player1,2350000)
    Entered([ANYONE])
THEN
    RESPONSE #100
        CreateCreature("vamanc01",[-1.-1],S)  // Vampire
END

I didn't know you could do that in the EE. Quite a few abilities are probably missing their description in that manner. I'll see if I can find and fix some of them.

Champion of Arvoreen:
Strength: ok
Lay on hands: not ok
Haste: ok
Blessed Watchfulness: not ok

Vagrant:
Summon Swanmay: empty
Summon Greater Swanmay: empty

Avenger:
Combat Trance: empty
Conjure Clan Spirit: not ok
Azoth
Thanks for your patience answering all my questions! (Maybe i should create my own thread...).

Found the Dragon Blade +3, which should have the following ability "While enraged, the chance to score a critical hit is increased by 10% (Berserkers, Barbarians, and Rashemi warriors)".
Minsc playing as Berserker and having two pips in Two-handed Sword is not doing critical hits when rolling a 18 (see screenshot) with that sword. Do i misunderstand something here?

edit: There is no cold damage (not the +1 and not the additional 2d4) when rolling a 20, only when rolling a 19 (see screenshots)
bulian
Azoth,

Good catch on the vampires - when I wrote that code I didn't check the details of each individual encounters, and there are a number of different vampires in that lot that are just listed as vampire. There are probably a couple of other cases like that - I think the planar prison is not maximized either with the present patch, for example. The trolls are not super difficult either as someone pointed out.

Regarding the berserker blade, apparently that effect is bugged from the beamdog end, as it was an existing resource in the game's code that I added. The original vision for Minsc's upgraded sword had that effect and then permanent enrage. Both of those were technically challenging, which is why it landed where is now. So for now you'll just have to live with it, particularly with 2.6 somewhere on the horizon.

So please keep reporting your findings.
critto
I think I have fixed Minsc's sword locally in v7 development branch. I'll re-check the items and see if I can backport it 6.52. Next week probably, though, I don't have access to my mod development PC at the moment.
Azoth
Thanks critto!

Can i do something on my end to fix the sword via Near Infinity?
critto
Unfortunately, I can't provide you with step-by-step directions just yet. However, you can grab an updated and patched version of Minsc's Rashemi sword here: https://github.com/critto-bg/ImprovedAnvil/...a4da2b2f9c3097b

You can compare both swords and make sure that Dragon Blade +3 has the relevant effects set up in the same way as in the improved version.
Azoth
QUOTE(critto @ Sep 1 2020, 07:18 AM) *
Unfortunately, I can't provide you with step-by-step directions just yet. However, you can grab an updated and patched version of Minsc's Rashemi sword here: https://github.com/critto-bg/ImprovedAnvil/...a4da2b2f9c3097b

You can compare both swords and make sure that Dragon Blade +3 has the relevant effects set up in the same way as in the improved version.

You are talking about the upgraded version of the sword s!sw24.itm. I haven't forged that one yet. Can i not copy&paste your fixed version to my installation?

My reports were about the Dragon Blade +3 itself (BDSW2H01.itm). Most probably the same fix as for the upgraded version could be applied?!?
critto
You are talking about the upgraded version of the sword s!sw24.itm. I haven't forged that one yet. Can i not copy&paste your fixed version to my installation?
You can copy the updated sword (S!sw24.itm) into your installation, yes.

My reports were about the Dragon Blade +3 itself (BDSW2H01.itm). Most probably the same fix as for the upgraded version could be applied?!?

If you mean to copy the same effects from the updated sword that are present in the original one (BDSW2H01.itm) then yes, it should generally work although the updated sword might have a stronger variation. Can't tell surely, I don't have access to the items' descriptions right now.

Azoth
QUOTE(critto @ Sep 1 2020, 08:49 AM) *
You can copy the updated sword (S!sw24.itm) into your installation, yes.

Not exactly. I would also need to adept all the string refs. But the upgraded version is working as expected and i managed to add the 10% bonus to DR manually. So all good here.
If you mean to copy the same effects from the updated sword that are present in the original one (BDSW2H01.itm) then yes, it should generally work although the updated sword might have a stronger variation. Can't tell surely, I don't have access to the items' descriptions right now.
I guess i have to live with the bugged effect as bulian said. But i'm looking forward to forge the upgrade smile.gif

critto
Not exactly. I would also need to adept all the string refs. But the upgraded version is working as expected and i managed to add the 10% bonus to DR manually. So all good here.
True. But if you copy it into the mod folder ("ImprovedAnvil/resources/items/new/") and re-install then the installation script will take care of it automatically. This is the preferred route anyway, because if you put the new itm straight into override, it will be overwritten by the older version if you re-install the mod later.

I guess i have to live with the bugged effect as bulian said. But i'm looking forward to forge the upgrade smile.gif

I'll try to fix it soon, when I get access to my computer.
Azoth
Mazzy's "Lay on hands" ability should remove poison at lvl 13, but it was only cancelling the icon on the portrait and not the poisoned effect of the Mutated Spiders (char was still taking damage) in Firkaarg's Maze.

edit:
Greater Wolfweres are too weak
critto
OK, will check, thanks.

Wolfweres will be rebalanced in v7.
Azoth
Most probably a BG2EE 2.5 issue:
After defeating the Shade Lord, the quest "Save Mazzy's Sister, Pala" kicked in and Danno Fairfoot was showing up. As soon as i entered Trademeet, Mazzy started to stutter when moving. I could continue the quest until i had to speak with Overgold Renwellyn in the temple. There i had to Force Talk (via F1) to him a couple of times until he started his dialogue. After defeating Barl, Mazzy was moving normal again. So all good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.