Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Contest: "Guess the scene!"
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mod development resources & discussion > Modding Contests
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
dzidek1983
what's with the results of the 2 week?
Moongaze
QUOTE(dzidek1983 @ Jul 15 2008, 08:50 AM) *
what's with the results of the 2 week?

What do you mean?
The deadline is July 17th. It's July 15th today.
Results likely won't come until after the 17th.
dzidek1983
i didn't see that.. sorry... happy.gif
HERD
Now in explaining the rules of the contest, you are giving away clues, almost answers!
It is supposed to be about real adepts of the game!
(Unless it is essential to make BG more popular, not to keep it elitist smile.gif)
Baronius
There is still more than one day left until the deadline, so entries can still be submitted.

The announcement of results will happen similarly to Week 1. That is, it will happen real-time on BlackWyrmLair's chat server on 18th July (Friday). You can easily join that in a few seconds by using our Chat Webpage, more details can be seen in this post. Just like in Week 1, the results will be announced on the forums as well after 1-2 days (so not before 19th July).

Since only two participants were present on the chat when Week 1 results were announced, I think we should agree in the exact time together so all those who are too excited to wait days will have the possibility to learn the results. Please specify your preferences in GMT (you can compare GMT with your time here). Since Sir Carnifex is away, only I will be present to announce the results. My preferences for 18th: any time between 00:00 GMT and 02:00 GMT, or any time between 13:00 GMT and 23:00 GMT.

So if you're interested, post your preferences!
Moongaze
The sooner, the better. I'm not much of an evening/night person unless I'm at a gig.
12:00 'till 19:00 GMT would be my preferred times.
dzidek1983
i always wait for the results on the forum

i don't have time for chating rolleyes.gif

work, life, etc. happy.gif
Moongaze
lol...don't tempt me to comment on that, mate.
Baronius
We won't be chatting, dzidek1983, the results will be announced and that's all (of course, if someone wants, he or she can stay; as always, the BWL chat server is at your service 24/7) smile.gif
Baronius
Week 2 is over! Announcement of results: 18 July 2008, 17:00 GMT, BWL Chat Server.
dzidek1983
well that's 18:00 at my place so i maybe will be there... maybe tongue.gif
Moongaze
Partial points for "behind the building"... I figured I got it wrong entirely. It was a very broad question. Basically anything could be behind the building, if you think about it.
Fourth question was a bitch, and a little too farfetched. Please don't do that again. closedeyes.gif
As for the fifth question, I did say the house should've been on the other side of the river. I guess that's why I got only partial points, because I didn't say "mirrored".

Meh, picture 2 bites.
Jarno Mikkola
Hih, I still have a chance of winning without subjecting myself to make a mod.
And, yes, I know I won't win... ZipIt.gif
Silverstar
I sucked bad, but I will keep playing! tongue.gif
Baronius
That's the spirit, Silverstar! It's only Week 3, so there is nothing to worry about smile.gif

QUOTE(Moongaze)
As for the fifth question, I did say the house should've been on the other side of the river. I guess that's why I got only partial points, because I didn't say "mirrored".

Yeah, all participants who just said the house was in wrong position got half a point. The answer we provided was a short one, here is a nicer one (from Raven's winner submission):

the picture shows a left-right inverted view of what actually appears in the Baldur's Gate game

By the way, as I've written to Silverstar above: it's Week 3. Yes, new picture is up. biggrin.gif
HERD
angry.gif
Slight objection: If the image is flipped, CHARNAME can't be on the Bridge
Jarno Mikkola
QUOTE(HERD @ Jul 20 2008, 02:12 PM) *
Slight objection: If the image is flipped, CHARNAME can't be on the Bridge
Even if the Charname sees things from a wrong perspective(this time, left is right...) we still know, he is at the bridge.

QUOTE(Baronius @ Jul 20 2008, 05:08 AM) *
Special hint by Baronius: "Forest of Tethyr" is a wrong answer to the first question.
But, but, but wacko.gif ... How is this possible? There is no other such place where the scenery would fit... ah, but I still send my answers.
dzidek1983
well the fourth question was a lot more complicated then i thought... by my opinion it was "over" complicated and the clue that he was stealing the bowl is not visible from the picture, but anyway... looking forward to the next test smile.gif
Baronius
he was stealing the bowl is not visible from the picture,
Still, one person knew it, and gave a perfect answer. It might not be directly visible, but as I've written earlier, a little thinking may also be needed sometimes. (I don't say only Raven was thinking, I'm just saying that it wasn't impossible to answer the tricky question tongue.gif)

but anyway... looking forward to the next test smile.gif

Picture 3 has been up for a few days!
Raven
QUOTE(Baronius @ Jul 22 2008, 04:08 PM) *
he was stealing the bowl is not visible from the picture,
Still, one person knew it, and gave a perfect answer. It might not be directly visible, but as I've written earlier, a little thinking may also be needed sometimes. (I don't say only Raven was thinking, I'm just saying that it wasn't impossible to answer the tricky question tongue.gif)

Yes, however, if you (Baronius) read the note at the bottom of my submission, I discussed the fact that the picture was ambiguous (mentioning similar things to what Decados wrote in a post at SP here - post 21). I eventually put in my answer what I thought was most likely to be correct, but I did not know for sure that this was what was wanted (in other words, it was just my best guess).
Baronius
Still, something has driven you to choose the answer you gave. You made a decision. (If your answer wasn't an "answer", that is, if it had contained conditional statements or multiple possibilities, you wouldn't have got the score for it).

but I did not know for sure that this was what was wanted
Sir Carnifex chose a good title (Guess the scene) for the contest smile.gif As you've written very correctly:

it was just my best guess
Sir_Carnifex
Ah... I see some want the questions to be ultra easy! Personally, I think throwing in a humdinger of a question like #4 is what almost assures that there will be one person ALONE at the top of the points list each week. Raven proved me right. However, if it'll satisfy y'all, I never intended to put too many of those trick questions in there. Still, don't be surprised if I throw another at you.

QUOTE(Moongaze)
Meh, picture 2 bites.

Ah... controversy! My drawings provoke reactions of all sorts, so that's good. But seriously (or not), if you didn't like week two, then criticize the questions and not the drawing. After all, it's a masterpiece of art that may one day be hanging on the wall of a museum... *cough* smile.gif

Special hint by Baronius: "Forest of Tethyr" is a wrong answer to the first question.

May I add that it's not the North Forest either? Or is that too many hints? biggrin.gif
Sir_Carnifex
The deadline is sneaking up for the third week (27th July 2008, 24:00 GMT). If you want to get in your answer, now is the time to do it.
Moongaze
Another BWL chatroom unveiling of the results, or will this be done through forum only?
I can't help but think the chatroom isn't very popular and isn't going to be either. blink.gif
Baronius
The live chat was chosen to make it a bit more interesting, instead of immediately publishing a downloadable file with a table of scores.

Last time, you and dzidek1983 didn't/couldn't come indeed, but there were others present. One of them was Raven, the winner. smile.gif

The announcement of results will happen on BWL's chat server on 28th July, 17:00 GMT (remember, daylight saving is in effect in more countries, so -- for example -- 17:00 GMT is actually 18:00 GMT in UK and 19:00 in Central Europe). Those who don't or can't come can read the results on the forums after 1-2 days.
Moongaze
Ah, okay. Was just curious.
Sir_Carnifex
Well, the two contest organizers are in the chat room now waiting if anyone else wants to see the results...
Baronius
End of announcements. Funny that one of the winners was present again. smile.gif
Moongaze
That basically tells me enough.
Baronius
Results of Week 3 are now available.

To my knowledge, Carnifex will soon post a total summary as well.

Next picture will probably become available on Wednesday (30th July).
Moongaze
Hmm...third place (or fourth, depending on how you look at it) by 0.5 point difference.
Not bad...
lroumen
QUOTE(Baronius @ Jul 29 2008, 03:19 PM) *
It happened every week so far that some players simplified the problem too much, and this week was no exception. For example, some participants answered that the scene takes place after the party escapes the dungeon and the problem with the picture is that the tower isn’t collapsed. It’s a partially valid answer, because the two people on the picture aren’t guards, so it can’t be after the party has escaped the dungeon.
I'm sorry but I just see blots in the picture that may be people, but it's not clear what they are. Besides, if there are supposed to be people in the picture, then there should be many more since it's a fair/display. There may also be amnish guards in the picture since they are all over the city anyway and there is no reference as to saying that they only appear after the incident at the promenade. They may well be present to guard the fair/display. So I argue that this picture may still be correct for after the escape in that sense.

I didn't see much wrong with the arch, though you're correct if I look at those minor things, however... one can spot other minor things wrong in the picture as well, such as missing carnival parts that might be visible from this particular angle and part of the front arch showing little detail of the boxes standing on top of them. I interpret that as the artists freedom and not as a part of the 'wrongness' of the picture, i.e. Q3.

I do realise that you have awarded points for the "simplified" answers, but I do feel that this is highly ambiguous.
dzidek1983
Well the 2 question messed it all up. That's beacuse you posted a picture that is not in game. You can't make a picture of the promenade before the party left the dungeon beacuse such thing doesn't eist. The player sees the promenade for the first time after he leaves the dungeon.

You could paste a picture from the promenade a year before game time and ask the same answers.

The competition is about the game.
Sir_Carnifex
QUOTE(Lroumen)
I'm sorry but I just see blots in the picture that may be people, but it's not clear what they are. Besides, if there are supposed to be people in the picture, then there should be many more since it's a fair/display. There may also be amnish guards in the picture since they are all over the city anyway and there is no reference as to saying that they only appear after the incident at the promenade. They may well be present to guard the fair/display. So I argue that this picture may still be correct for after the escape in that sense.

Sorry about the blots. I was in a rush to get the picture done before I left on vacation and I completely failed to notice that the resizing of the picture did that. In the original drawing, the people are quite clear. So, for that, I admit I messed up. Adjusting my scanner may also prove helpful in the future.

QUOTE(dxidek1983)
Well the 2 question messed it all up. That's beacuse you posted a picture that is not in game. You can't make a picture of the promenade before the party left the dungeon beacuse such thing doesn't eist. The player sees the promenade for the first time after he leaves the dungeon.

You could paste a picture from the promenade a year before game time and ask the same answers.

Nowhere did we state that what is in the picture had to be seen in the actual game. What matters is that:

1. The Promenade exists, so I wasn't drawing something that nobody had seen before.

2. Everything else that was major was included in the drawing.

3. Since the Promenade has a pattern to it, it's obvious what a reconstructed version would look like. Now, if it were some 20th Century maze-like building, then I could see not being allowed to rebuild it. But it isn't.

4. Nothing says that the viewpoint is that of the player. In fact, some were rather upset because I DID make ONE of the pictures from the viewpoint of the player (which I stated). I can't win, can I?
----------------

I will tally up the three-week score and post it soon.
dzidek1983
QUOTE(Sir_Carnifex @ Jul 29 2008, 08:05 PM) *
QUOTE(Lroumen)

Sorry about the blots. I was in a rush to get the picture done before I left on vacation and I completely failed to notice that the resizing of the picture did that. In the original drawing, the people are quite clear. So, for that, I admit I messed up. Adjusting my scanner may also prove helpful in the future.

QUOTE(dxidek1983)

Nowhere did we state that what is in the picture had to be seen in the actual game. What matters is that:

1. The Promenade exists, so I wasn't drawing something that nobody had seen before.

2. Everything else that was major was included in the drawing.

3. Since the Promenade has a pattern to it, it's obvious what a reconstructed version would look like. Now, if it were some 20th Century maze-like building, then I could see not being allowed to rebuild it. But it isn't.

4. Nothing says that the viewpoint is that of the player. In fact, some were rather upset because I DID make ONE of the pictures from the viewpoint of the player (which I stated). I can't win, can I?
----------------

I will tally up the three-week score and post it soon.

yes but nobody saw what was going on the promenade before the dungeon escape

i don't question the differences in the picture, just the question about the time of scene

i never argued about the view point
Sir_Carnifex
These are the total scores so far:

Jarno Mikkola: 13
dzidek1983: 12
Raven: 12
Moongaze: 11.5
Lroumen: 8.5
HERD: 6.5
Groundkill: 6
Decados: 5
Klorox: 4
Silverstar: 4
Sir-Kill: 4
Jarno Mikkola
QUOTE(Sir_Carnifex @ Jul 29 2008, 09:05 PM) *
I can't win, can I?
Yes, you can, but not in this competition, you just have to judge, so that I win. thumb.gif

QUOTE(Sir_Carnifex @ Jul 29 2008, 10:35 PM) *
These are the total scores so far:
Jarno Mikkola: 13
Haha, the Imp is winning, and with his lucky number. wub.gif
Sir_Carnifex
QUOTE(Jarno Mikkola @ Jul 29 2008, 03:46 PM) *
Yes, you can, but not in this competition, you just have to judge, so that I win. thumb.gif

That could be arranged. How much will you pay?

Oh... did I mention that the winner has to draw all the pictures for the next contest? biggrin.gif
------------------

And... the fourth week is ready to go. Start sending in your answers!
dzidek1983
so i suppose that there is only one house with a globe in the entire game :/
Sikret
QUOTE(Sir_Carnifex @ Jul 30 2008, 08:19 AM) *

My guess is that Raven will be the winner at the end of the contest (I know this is not a tactical contest, but I vote for the IA-expert anyway tongue.gif ).

So, if you want to pay, he is the one you need to negotiate with. smile.gif
Moongaze
I will most likely not win.
Sir_Carnifex
QUOTE(Sikret @ Jul 30 2008, 02:36 AM) *
QUOTE(Sir_Carnifex @ Jul 30 2008, 08:19 AM) *

My guess is that Raven will be the winner at the end of the contest (I know this is not a tactical contest, but I vote for the IA-expert anyway tongue.gif ).

So, if you want to pay, he is the one you need to negotiate with. smile.gif

So... if IA experts are so good, why haven't you submitted any answers? tongue.gif
dzidek1983
are the results going to be announced tomorrow?
Baronius
No, the earliest date is 7th or 8th (for the forum announcement). Check the "weekly pictures" thread, it always specifies the current deadline.
dzidek1983
i thought it was a weekly contest, like 7 days rolleyes.gif
Raven
Does the deadline of 6th August mean entries have to be finished by midnight at the end of that day, or does it mean before that day starts (i.e. midnight tonight)?
Sir_Carnifex
I assume since midnight is technically the start of the day that Baronius means the contest will end at the beginning of Aug. 6. I can't say for sure though. It might be better if he answers this instead.
Baronius
It seems I forgot to specify the deadline in correct format for this week. I've just corrected it. So any entries sent by 24:00 GMT of 6th August (or, if you prefer that, by 00:00 GMT of 7th August) are accepted. The reference time is queried from the page I earlier linked to (somewhere in this topic).
Baronius
Results tomorrow on BWL's chat, at 17:00 GMT. No, the meeting won't be skipped (there have always been some interested users so far), those who can't come can read the results on the forum a bit later.

Submissions can still be sent, by today midnight (24:00 GMT).
Sir_Carnifex
It is now approximately 17:00 GMT, so there's a large gathering in the chat for the announcement of the answers. Drop on by to hear them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.