Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Contest: "Guess the scene!"
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mod development resources & discussion > Modding Contests
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Sir_Carnifex
The picture is ready to go as soon as Quality Control gets done with it. smile.gif
Sir_Carnifex
Week eight is now up! Enjoy! smile.gif
dzidek1983
Ah, yes another fine picture... not so easy... but still amusing tongue.gif
lroumen
I have no idea at this point... not even if it's from BG1 or BG2! huh.gif
dzidek1983
QUOTE(lroumen @ Sep 16 2008, 11:36 AM) *
I have no idea at this point... not even if it's from BG1 or BG2! huh.gif

"Ah young padawan... the force is strong in you... "
yes, i remember that my uncle TwinkleToes said that to me when i was a little gnome, after his brother died in that milk-cats-kobolds accident...
nasty way to go... kept me away from milk for a long time....
lroumen
Ah yes, good times...

I've been playing BG yesterday and it suddenly came to me. My memory is soo rusty these days.
Sir_Carnifex
The deadline is once again sneaking up on us. If you've forgotten to submit your entries, now is the time to do so.
Baronius
It's funny that these reminders you post usually result in a Raven submission within a day smile.gif However, I remember he mentioned he would be abroad without internet access, perhaps that is happening now (considering he hasn't been logged in since 11th September). He also registered a prefix in the Community Prefix Database, perhaps he plans to make up for the score (that he loses now) during the Guess the Scene Final (Week 10, in 2009), where the task will be mod development based on the picture. (Of course, registering an own prefix for that won't be required, but Raven is probably a perfectionist -- unless my suspicion is wrong and he registered the prefix for another reason.) smile.gif
dzidek1983
it's 26'th and week 8 is still open... shame on you tongue.gif
dzidek1983
So when will we hear the results? tongue.gif
Sir_Carnifex
After I get around to grading them and Baronius puts them in the document.
Sir_Carnifex
Here are the total scores for eight weeks:

Official scores:

dzidek1983: 39.9
lroumen: 36
Raven: 34.4
Jarno Mikkola: 26.4
HERD: 22.8
Moongaze: 11.5
Groundkill: 6
Silvershield: 6
Decados: 5
TheAlmightyBob: 4.4
Klorox: 4
Silverstar: 4
Sir-Kill: 4
Morbidest: 1.5

External entries/total scores with late entries:

Silvershield (29.6)
HERD (27.2)
DCD (4.4)

Raven
QUOTE(Baronius @ Sep 23 2008, 11:21 PM) *
It's funny that these reminders you post usually result in a Raven submission within a day smile.gif However, I remember he mentioned he would be abroad without internet access, perhaps that is happening now (considering he hasn't been logged in since 11th September).
Yep, I actually arrived home today, so missed the deadline (but not by as much as I'd thought I would).

He also registered a prefix in the Community Prefix Database, perhaps he plans to make up for the score (that he loses now) during the Guess the Scene Final (Week 10, in 2009), where the task will be mod development based on the picture. (Of course, registering an own prefix for that won't be required, but Raven is probably a perfectionist -- unless my suspicion is wrong and he registered the prefix for another reason.) smile.gif
Actually I had been planning to do a small amount of modding at some point in the reasonably near future - and given the discussion about the prefixes, it seemed better to get one while the going is good, so to speak. If the Week 10 competition falls out of my university term time I will hopefully be able to enter, depending how much work is needed.
dzidek1983
and the next picure is coming out.... when???
Baronius
For Christmas.
Sir_Carnifex
QUOTE(dzidek1983 @ Sep 30 2008, 08:54 AM) *
and the next picure is coming out.... when???

I'm not sure. This week is proving to be rather busy, as will next week. And then I'll be on vacation...
dzidek1983
that's terrible... tongue.gif
Sir_Carnifex
This is to let everyone know that I definitely have NOT forgotten about this contest, nor have I lost interest in it.

I have had the idea for the next picture for awhile now. Having relatives from out of state visiting for the past week and a half didn't improve the amount of time I had to work on this, nor did a bunch of other things that were going on. I travel out of state this week, too, so... that's right.... the next picture won't be around until I get back. I may work on it during vacation so I can have it ready to post the day I return.
dzidek1983
Can't Baronius do the drawing?
Baronius
I haven't drawn for many years, so even if I had free time for it, I don't think I could come up with anything of the quality of the excellent works of Carnifex.
Sir_Carnifex
QUOTE(Baronius @ Oct 7 2008, 10:02 AM) *
I haven't drawn for many years, so even if I had free time for it, I don't think I could come up with anything of the quality of the excellent works of Carnifex.

Excuses, excuses! I hadn't drawn anything of note (except that Sarevok/Gorion picture) PERIOD when I started this. *gloats*
Baronius
Baronius
SirCarnifex

"Many years". This means nothing more than that several drawings I made were put to the walls (among other good drawings) of my primary school. I liked to draw when I was a child (especially at home). Now I don't (more precisely, IE modding is a more interesting hobby), and I obviously don't know if I could come up with anything acceptable even if I had the time tongue.gif

(Okay, enough of excuses. biggrin.gif)
lroumen
Drawing by hand is soo last century

You can always try a screen capture and render it using pixelate and brushstrokes
Sir_Carnifex
QUOTE(lroumen @ Oct 8 2008, 05:00 AM) *
Drawing by hand is soo last century

You can always try a screen capture and render it using pixelate and brushstrokes

I draw by hand. You cannot get the same effect on a computer. So, last century or not, it's a much better method in my opinion.
dzidek1983
This contest is like dead and dry.... to bad.. it was fun...
Sir_Carnifex
QUOTE(dzidek1983 @ Oct 14 2008, 03:43 AM) *

Not dead. Not dry. I'll have something up this week.
dzidek1983
QUOTE(Sir_Carnifex @ Oct 22 2008, 05:48 AM) *
QUOTE(dzidek1983 @ Oct 14 2008, 03:43 AM) *

Not dead. Not dry. I'll have something up this week.

obiecanki cacanki
Sir_Carnifex
Week 9 is now up!
Baronius
I wonder who will give a correct answer... and who will be the first to complain here about the difficulty tongue.gif

It would be no fun if the next-to-last week was too easy. And we are out of easy scenes anyway, aren't we? Sir Carnifex has drawn all obvious scenes of the game already. smile.gif
Sir_Carnifex
The deadline is drawing near and only two entries have been submitted thus far...
dzidek1983
it was very hard no wonder you have so little answers...

i think i'm wrong, and probably am... so no points for me this time smile.gif
Sir_Carnifex
After hearing how easy some of the others were, I had to make this one hard. Anyway, difficulty shouldn't keep a person from guessing. (we now have four entries)
lroumen
I knew where to look for the answer upon seeing the picture. However, whether I picked the right one is doubtful.
Jarno Mikkola
QUOTE(Sir_Carnifex @ Nov 2 2008, 06:36 AM) *
... been submitted thus far...
You might want to give this a bit more time to get answered, maybe even to 2009(i.e. Week 10).
Ah, I already answered by the way, so the others know.
Baronius
It is reasonable to give more time to this one, due to the long break between Week 8 and the current week. Actually, we decided to extend the deadline even before your post, but I could not get to update the relevant post until now.

Deadline extended to 12th November 2008!
Baronius
Results will be announced within a week. I ask patience from those who are eager to see the results, I am too busy to prepare the results document.
Jarno Mikkola
QUOTE(Baronius @ Nov 13 2008, 10:46 AM) *
Results will be announced within a week.
dzidek1983
QUOTE(Jarno Mikkola @ Nov 21 2008, 10:10 AM) *
QUOTE(Baronius @ Nov 13 2008, 10:46 AM) *
Results will be announced within a week.

yeah... where are they?
Sir_Carnifex
I can post the overall scores but I won't be able to give you the PDF document. Baronius will have to do that.
Jarno Mikkola
QUOTE(Sir_Carnifex @ Nov 21 2008, 08:52 PM) *
I can post the overall scores
Well, you don't have to hurry it up that much, my responce was just the first one I came up with, a week ago. happy.gif
Baronius
Hopefully, I can post the results tomorrow.
dzidek1983
i wash my hands...

ps. i'm an *&^%$#@
lroumen
Really a pity that fewer people have contributed in the last few assignments.
I'm very curious what assignment nr 10 turns out to be.
Sir_Carnifex
Dzidek still holds the lead, but Lroumen is close behind! Week ten will come who knows when as Baronius wants me to hold off for awhile.

Official scores (through week nine):

dzidek1983: 42.9
lroumen: 42
Raven: 34.4
HERD: 28.8
Jarno Mikkola: 26.4
Moongaze: 11.5
Groundkill: 6
Silvershield: 6
Decados: 5
TheAlmightyBob: 4.4
Klorox: 4
Silverstar: 4
Sir-Kill: 4
Morbidest: 1.5

External entries/total scores with late entries:

Silvershield (29.6)
HERD (33.2)
DCD (4.4)
lroumen
Nice. Second place. I've been waiting a while for the announcement of week 10. Any ideas yet? You're probably still discussing on the assignment, right?
Baronius
Sir Carnifex has resigned, he is not a Black Wyrm Council Member any more. Of course, he might still draw for Guess the Scene in the future, but I think he is busy, so nothing can be guaranteed at the moment (unless he will state it otherwise). Of course, I want to make a user-friendly editor (for a certain file format, i.e. game object format) for Week 10, so those who have little experience with the current modding tools won't have to work with complex tools. I don't know when I can finish that tool (it is 60-70% finished), in these days I can't work on it. However, the drawing for the modding week (Week 10) could be made at any time (i.e. even long before Week 10), but as I said, I don't know anything concrete about Sir Carnifex.

Sorry for leaving the contest open for undetermined time (at least, for the time being). I know most (or all) participants are eager to see (and even enter) the final contest.
lroumen
Thank you for the response. At least we know what's going on then smile.gif
Sir_Carnifex
As Baronius said, I resigned and I don't spend a whole lot of time on these forums anymore. However, if he wishes to continue with the contest, it's entirely up to him to make the decision. I can always play along. tongue.gif

SirC
Sir_Carnifex
After four years have passed and I'm taking a look at these... Yeah, I had to think really hard to figure out what some of them were -- and I drew them! I think I just got an idea of how much work other people had to do guessing them. Ah well. Fun times.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.