Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Contest: "Guess the scene!"
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mod development resources & discussion > Modding Contests
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Moongaze
Nah...you guys are better off without me. happy.gif
'Sides, I didn't participate this time.
Sir_Carnifex
Baronius will post the answers tomorrow after which I'll upload the new picture. Stay tuned!
Jarno Mikkola
QUOTE(Moongaze @ Aug 7 2008, 08:41 PM) *
Neither did I. So somebody might have gotten ahead of me, but do remember, that the backside is always open for a stab.
Sir_Carnifex
QUOTE(Jarno Mikkola @ Aug 7 2008, 06:53 PM) *
QUOTE(Moongaze @ Aug 7 2008, 08:41 PM) *
Neither did I. So somebody might have gotten ahead of me, but do remember, that the backside is always open for a stab.

You will be behind, but there are still five more weeks for you to regain the lead.

P.S. I like your smiley. biggrin.gif
Baronius
Results of Week 4 have arrived. All those who guessed correctly gave correct answers to all questions. Unfortunately, a wrong guess in this week means 0 score due to the dependency of questions. sad.gif

dzidek1983 and Raven take the lead! The second is lroumen!

dzidek1983: 18
Raven: 18
lroumen: 14.5
Jarno Mikkola: 13
Moongaze: 11.5
HERD: 6.5
Groundkill: 6
Decados: 5
Klorox: 4
Silverstar: 4
Sir-Kill: 4
lroumen
Yes, this week was far too difficult. I don't think many people are able to immediately spot link the picture to the solution.
I first had something completely different in mind, but when I found too many things wrong in the picture it was difficult to find another possibility. I'm happy that I got it right this time.
Sir_Carnifex
Actually, what you mean by "too difficult" is that it made you think! I thought it'd be easier than the rest because it's something that I would recognize instantly. I guess it's not the same for everyone, though. wink.gif

This next one should be more to your liking. smile.gif

The fifth week's picture is now up.
Sikret
With more new pics added to the "pictures" topic, it takes longer to see the last pic completely for those who use dial up (each time you open that topic all of the previous pics start loading too).
Sir_Carnifex
I'll go remove the old ones then. Thanks for pointing that out.
dzidek1983
This week is to easy happy.gif
Moongaze
QUOTE(dzidek1983 @ Aug 9 2008, 10:41 AM) *
This week is to easy happy.gif

Yeah it is.
I didn't know the last one, but this one's a breeze.
Sir_Carnifex
*Grins*

Well, it's what y'all basically asked for. I'm just complying for one week anyway. smile.gif
Sir_Carnifex
The deadline fast approaches. If you're going to enter, now is the time to do so.
Jarno Mikkola
Yes, and I already send my replies glare.gif , and one of them was wrong... ohmy.gif sad.gif
Baronius
Results of Week 5!

Raven takes the lead! He seems to be invincible!

Raven: 24
dzidek1983: 23.5
lroumen: 20.4
Jarno Mikkola: 18.7
Moongaze: 11.5
HERD: 11.3
Groundkill: 6
Decados: 5
Klorox: 4
Silverstar: 4
Sir-Kill: 4
Morbidest: 1.5

QUOTE(Jarno Mikkola)
and one of them was wrong... ohmy.gif sad.gif

Fortunately, a wrong answer is considered to be a missing answer, no negative points. smile.gif

Sir Carnifex experiences some technical difficulties, so the new picture might arrive a bit later.
dzidek1983
aw man... he's half orc? does it tell in game?
lroumen
I think the half-orc part is mentioned in one of the letters you gather during the game. Besides, he was drawn pretty half-orcish to me smile.gif.
I don't recall the mentioning of Cyric, however, but it's likely mentioned in the letters as well (got that wrong).
Sir_Carnifex
The symbol that you get after you kill him is Cyric's symbol.
dzidek1983
well then i must admit my defeat smile.gif
lroumen
I never read the description of the symbols anymore smile.gif
Moongaze
Yeah... Mulahey is explained to be a half-orc in the transition to the next chapter, after taking his letters.
"While the half-orc indeed..." and stuff.
The symbol is Cyric's, and is also explained in the item details.
I could've participated, but nah... happy.gif
lroumen
Why not? It's fun to try and get it right.
After a horrible start, I'm starting to get the hang of it.
Raven
Well, invincible as I may seem (thanks Baronius tongue.gif), I'm going on holiday in about three week's time and will probably miss the end of the competition... since I also missed the first week, there's every chance that I won't end up finishing first.
Moongaze
QUOTE(lroumen @ Aug 19 2008, 12:08 PM) *

Nah, I lost interest. happy.gif
Sir_Carnifex
Week six is up! I'm sure Baronius will update the title and deadline soon.

QUOTE(lroumen @ Aug 19 2008, 05:08 AM) *

And thanks to those who've skipped out on some, you're in perfect position to take third -- if not better. Don't let Dzidek and Raven pull away. smile.gif
Moongaze
Hee hee...I think I know this one, too.
dzidek1983
is it me or is it getting easier?
Baronius
Easy for those who played the game and remember the scenes. The difficulty changes, so while one week is easier, others can be harder (this doesn't mean I also said which group the current week belongs to). smile.gif

QUOTE(Raven)
I'm going on holiday in about three week's time and will probably miss the end of the competition...

What about mobile access? tongue.gif
Sir_Carnifex
The difficulty of the various drawings seems to be relative. What seems easy for one may be difficult for another (as shown in previous weeks).

Either way, as long as people enjoy the contest, it's a success. smile.gif
dzidek1983
We do enjoy it... we do... smile.gif
Raven
QUOTE(Baronius @ Aug 19 2008, 08:57 PM) *
QUOTE(Raven)
I'm going on holiday in about three week's time and will probably miss the end of the competition...

What about mobile access? tongue.gif

Do you mean mobile phone? If so I don't have internet access on it, unfortunately. Plus I will be out of the country and I'm not sure I will get any reception in the country I'm visiting.
dzidek1983
Where are you going? Poland? nah.. we have internet here.... smile.gif

Baronius
Do you mean mobile phone?

Mobile access can be carried out through any mobile device that supports internet access, which is most commonly the mobile phone indeed. I thought you were going somewhere where there is no internet access point (like the wilderness), and not to a foreign country. In this case, if you can't get to a usual access point (like a public computer) either, then it's indeed impossible to connect to the internet. However, it's no problem after all, as I agree that internet access shouldn't be the central part of the holidays/trip smile.gif (though -- as you've said -- you might miss the last weeks of the contest, on the other hand. tongue.gif)
Raven
QUOTE(Baronius @ Aug 20 2008, 07:02 PM) *
Do you mean mobile phone?

Mobile access can be carried out through any mobile device that supports internet access, which is most commonly the mobile phone indeed.

No, really? tongue.gif

I thought you were going somewhere where there is no internet access point (like the wilderness), and not to a foreign country.
Heh, 'the wilderness'... not much of that in England to be honest smile.gif.

However, it's no problem after all, as I agree that internet access shouldn't be the central part of the holidays/trip smile.gif

Yeah. I don't want anything to do with email or internet forums when I'm away!

@ dzidek: much as I would like to visit Poland someday, this time I'm heading across the pond to North America.
Jarno Mikkola
Mobile access can be carried out through any mobile device that supports internet access, which is most commonly the mobile phone indeed.
Yeah, and if you use that outside your own country, the server calls back home and you get the bill for that... it's quite expensive. balleye.gif
QUOTE(Raven @ Aug 20 2008, 10:15 PM) *
Heh, 'the wilderness'... not much of that in England to be honest smile.gif .
Nor is there much in Finland, even if the brochure says 85% of the land is forest. Why, because most of the land commercially used to grow the green stuff. cool.gif

QUOTE(Baronius @ Aug 18 2008, 09:10 PM) *
QUOTE(Jarno Mikkola)
and one of them was wrong... ohmy.gif sad.gif

Fortunately, a wrong answer is considered to be a missing answer, no negative points. smile.gif
Well, I was actually referring to the fact that the question 5.'s answer was; "A fight." As that's what the Bhaal's Spawn does the best. dry.gif Although the chapter change thing is close next too...oo biggrin.gif

Answers to W6 sent. But no reply yet! unsure.gif bigcry.gif wink.gif
Baronius
QUOTE(Jarno Mikkola)
Yeah, and if you use that outside your own country, the server calls back home and you get the bill for that... it's quite expensive. balleye.gif

I know about people who happily kept using internet via their mobile phone while on holidays, and didn't realize that the packet billing automatically switched to the international tariff of the company. They weren't so happy any longer when they received the bill with a terrible sum. On the other hand, although I haven't really followed telecommunications recently, I remember that the European Union had some plans to bind telecom companies to decrease their prices related to foreign mobile internet access inside the Union.

However, when I mentioned mobile access to Raven, I didn't exclusively refer to mobile phones. There are other ways for easy (and free) mobile internet access as well. There are publicly available WiFi access points in several countries of the Union. You just need to bring your (properly equipped) laptop, and that's all. No need for a mobile phone, for example. (Of course, security is another question: if there are flaws in the system, e.g. no secure connection is used, your private data such as passwords might be stolen by others.)

On a side note, mobile phone access for Raven would have been hopeless anyway, considering he is going to North America. At least, if he is going to the USA, because that is what I know to have several uncomfortable features with mobile phones compared to Europe (e.g. incompatible -- manufacturer-specific -- devices, limits for pre-paid i.e. credit-based packs, etc.). So it has a good chance that his device is probably incompatible and unusable there. Of course, he can always buy a new mobile phone there, but I think this is the last thing he plans to do on holidays. tongue.gif

Answers to W6 sent. But no reply yet! unsure.gif bigcry.gif wink.gif

Only Sir Carnifex received it. He mentioned it to me in the private "judge" workroom that you've written my name (Baronius) to the title field of the private message, instead of the Carbon Copy field. This is a severe insult to me and you're disqualified from the whole contest angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif Just kidding tongue.gif It must have been funny for Carnifex to receive a message from you with title 'Baronius'.
Sir_Carnifex
QUOTE(Baronius)
Only Sir Carnifex received it. He mentioned it to me in the private "judge" workroom that you've written my name (Baronius) to the title field of the private message, instead of the Carbon Copy field. This is a severe insult to me and you're disqualified from the whole contest angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif Just kidding tongue.gif It must have been funny for Carnifex to receive a message from you with title 'Baronius'.

Yeah, I was expecting some slander or something...and what did I see when I opened the message? Answers -- no gossip, no badmouthing, no tall-tales --- just answers for the week! And that was the last thing I expected! laugh.gif

Rather than disqualifying him, I vote for a .0000001 penalty on his points. smile.gif
Jarno Mikkola
blush.gif
QUOTE(Sir_Carnifex @ Aug 21 2008, 02:37 AM) *
Yeah, I was expecting some slander or something...and what did I see when I opened the message? Answers -- no gossip, no badmouthing, no tall-tales --- just answers for the week! And that was the last thing I expected! laugh.gif
If you want, I can give you a giant tail that will...

QUOTE(Sir_Carnifex @ Aug 21 2008, 02:37 AM) *
Rather than disqualifying him, I vote for a .0000001 penalty on his points. smile.gif
But why not just 0.000...0001 penalty, or what ever, as long as I have the biggest number in the game. biggrin.gif

PS, the Imp is going to think off this, while it makes a search for the member called "Entry 6, by Jarno Mikkola." that it send the carbon copy to. tongue.gif
dzidek1983
QUOTE(Raven @ Aug 20 2008, 09:15 PM) *
@ dzidek: much as I would like to visit Poland someday, this time I'm heading across the pond to North America.

poor fellow... what will you do in america....
come to Poland.. nice elven ladies here... biggrin.gif
Moongaze
...and a lot of concerts...prog, metal...
dzidek1983
forget the concerts.. concentrate on the ladies... smile.gif

hmmm.... maybe ladies on concerts... but that's the only excuse i will take wink.gif
Moongaze
QUOTE(dzidek1983 @ Aug 21 2008, 11:32 AM) *
forget the concerts.. concentrate on the ladies... smile.gif

hmmm.... maybe ladies on concerts... but that's the only excuse i will take wink.gif

TheAlmightyBob
Hi.
my name is Bob, i am late in stumbling across tis forum and although i cant join in you competition at this point is there a possibility that i might be able to get a copy of the pictures along with the questions asked. i wouldnt mind having a try at it, thats all.
Baronius
Hello Bob!

The pictures and the associated questions can be found in this topic, starting at the second post. There is a picture link at the end of each post, except the last one which directly displays the latest drawing.

although i cant join in you competition at this point [..]

If you mean that it's too late to join, then you're wrong: the contest can be entered at any time (of course, submitting answers for previous weeks isn't possible). If you mean that you can't join for some other reason, ignore what I've written in the previous sentence.

Please let me know if I can be of any further help.
Moongaze
Though having missed the first 5 weeks, becoming #1 at the end is hard, but not impossible.
TheAlmightyBob
who cares if i make number one i want to try my hand at this. ok im in. i thought that if i joined late that it wouldnt be allowed but ok. we are in weeks six?? and i pm my answers too "Sir_Carnifex"??

Thanks
Bob
Baronius
The submission should be sent both to Sir_Carnifex and myself in a private message (PM). If you don't want to send two PMs (copy-pasting the content of the first one to the second message), you can use the field "Carbon copy to other members". Just type "Sir_Carnifex" (without quotes) to the "Recipients Name" field, and my nickname to the "Carbon copy to other members" field.
Sir_Carnifex
Welcome to the contest, Bob. There's no problem with missing out on any weeks since this contest is primarily just a way to have fun. If we do another one after this is over, you'll have some practice, and then maybe you'll win it. Good luck! smile.gif
Sir_Carnifex
Ah, I notice I missed the live week 6 results... not that anything there would be news to me, but...

Jarno Mikkola
Congratulations to all the winners... myself! biggrin.gif
blink.gif
Should I make a protest? As I was promised to be given, a larger number! tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.