Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IA 4.2 Bug thread
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Pages: 1, 2
luan
Didn't see an active comprehensive bug thread... If I missed it please delete this topic.

I was very careful about my installation so I don't believe I have any conflicting mods.

I noticed you could attack some of the dialog triggered improved NPCs without repercussion. They would stand there while I pound on them, drinking potions until they finally died, never turning hostile.

Initiating dialog was the only way to trigger hostility.

This occured with Borinall and Samia. I'd imagine this may be the case with other NPCs as well so I'll keep an eye out.
Mongerman
Sounds like the false talk technique. Was'nt this fixed?
Sikret
Neither I nor any of the testers had such a problem in their games, luan! I think the best thing for you to do is to avoid attacking them and give them time to initiate their dialogues. In my game, you can't even attack Samia before her dialogue, because she initiates dialogue immediately when you are in her line of sight. Send me your Weidu.log file in a PM.
luan
Neither I nor any of the testers had such a problem in their games, luan! I think the best thing for you to do is to avoid attacking them and give them time to initiate their dialogues. In my game, you can't even attack Samia before her dialogue, because she initiates dialogue immediately when you are in her line of sight. Send me your Weidu.log file in a PM.

Ah, you misinterpret! The ambush works properly. Dialog initiates and her party attacks immediately.

The problem occurs when I manually attack Samia while she's a passive NPC questgiver, alone waiting for me to all her dirty work!

The situation is the same for Borinall. If I continue the quest normally, dialog gets heated and he attacks immediately. However, if I reply with something to the effect of "oh... I was just wandering around, I'll leave.", Borinall will remain a neutral NPC. He will remain so even if manually attacked.
Sikret
QUOTE(luan @ May 12 2007, 01:21 PM) *

Ah, you misinterpret! The ambush works properly. Dialog initiates and her party attacks immediately.

The problem occurs when I manually attack Samia while she's a passive NPC questgiver, alone waiting for me to all her dirty work!

The situation is the same for Borinall. If I continue the quest normally, dialog gets heated and he attacks immediately. However, if I reply with something to the effect of "oh... I was just wandering around, I'll leave.", Borinall will remain a neutral NPC. He will remain so even if manually attacked.

Ah, I see.

The problem with Samia was already there in the original game, because I have not touched that part when she is a passive NPC. The problem with Borinall was probably my fault. I will fix them two. Are there any other creatures with a similar problem. I'll be grateful if you report them all.

luan
I'll let you know if I come across anymore.
leonidas
I noticed one or two things as well, in my last game of 4.2:

The slaver wizard in the slaver's hold in athkatla has endless chain lightnings.

And also, if you summon a project image with immunity: divination around firkraag, he'll get stuck casting remove magics, only he'll target the closest member of your party rather than the project image.

There's also several other bugs with vanilla bg that probably warrant attention; I could send you a PM sikret, if you want.
Sikret
QUOTE(leonidas @ May 12 2007, 04:49 PM) *
I noticed one or two things as well, in my last game of 4.2:

The slaver wizard in the slaver's hold in athkatla has endless chain lightnings.

Confirmed and fixed for v4.3. Thanks.
And also, if you summon a project image with immunity: divination around firkraag, he'll get stuck casting remove magics, only he'll target the closest member of your party rather than the project image.

Just checked his script and didn't find any such bug. Please test it, thetruth!
There's also several other bugs with vanilla bg that probably warrant attention; I could send you a PM sikret, if you want.

do send them please.

spiral
QUOTE(leonidas @ May 12 2007, 12:19 PM) *

One of the spawning cowled wizards did the same. At least 4-5 chain lightnings in a row.
Sikret
QUOTE(spiral @ May 12 2007, 06:09 PM) *
QUOTE(leonidas @ May 12 2007, 12:19 PM) *

One of the spawning cowled wizards did the same. At least 4-5 chain lightnings in a row.

Just checked all of them and didn't find any bug. If you can be more specific about the creature's name, I will check again. Of course, 4 or 5 Chain Lightnings is not a problem (though I didn't even find that). Three Chain Lightnings is a spell trigger is also normal.

Sikret
QUOTE(Sikret @ May 12 2007, 05:36 PM) *
QUOTE(leonidas @ May 12 2007, 04:49 PM) *

Just checked his script and didn't find any such bug. Please test it, thetruth!

leonidas,

thetruth has not been online since the time I asked him to perform this test, but I found some free time to test it myself (I tested it with Abazigal though because he was nearer and uses the same tactics against clones) and I'm pretty sure that the mentioned bug does not exist in my game. The remove magic is cast directly at the clone (not on the PC) even when the pc is a closer target than the clone; and once the remove magic is cast the clone is destroyed and there is never any need to a second dispel magic. everything works as intended.

Still, I ask thetruth to test it again for 100% certainty (and if Firkraag somehow mysteriously behaves different than Abazigal, he will tell me and I will fix it).
spiral
QUOTE(Sikret @ May 12 2007, 01:59 PM) *

Just checked all of them and didn't find any bug. If you can be more specific about the creature's name, I will check again. Of course, 4 or 5 Chain Lightnings is not a problem (though I didn't even find that). Three Chain Lightnings is a spell trigger is also normal.

It's S!MAGECO.CRE It was one chain lightning each round for more than 3 rounds, till most of my party died. ^^
Sikret
Ok, I will check it again, spiral.
Clown
One minor bug with the new item, Hesperus, when it casts its Sunray on hit the character using the sword stops attacking and will not re-start attacking from the same position. I tend to have to move the character or get it to perform some other action before I can get them to start attacking again.
leonidas
QUOTE(Clown @ May 13 2007, 12:14 PM) *

One minor bug with the new item, Hesperus, when it casts its Sunray on hit the character using the sword stops attacking and will not re-start attacking from the same position. I tend to have to move the character or get it to perform some other action before I can get them to start attacking again.

Sounds like the infinity engine bug that stops you being able to click on a hostile if you change weapons (usually ranged > mêlée) if you're right next to them. IIRC, it also affects some spells and weapon abilities.

Anyway, point is, I don't think that is a bug with hesperus.
leonidas
QUOTE(Sikret @ May 13 2007, 08:39 AM) *

leonidas,

thetruth has not been online since the time I asked him to perform this test, but I found some free time to test it myself (I tested it with Abazigal though because he was nearer and uses the same tactics against clones) and I'm pretty sure that the mentioned bug does not exist in my game. The remove magic is cast directly at the clone (not on the PC) even when the pc is a closer target than the clone; and once the remove magic is cast the clone is destroyed and there is never any need to a second dispel magic. everything works as intended.

Still, I ask thetruth to test it again for 100% certainty (and if Firkraag somehow mysteriously behaves different than Abazigal, he will tell me and I will fix it).

Hrm, it definitely happened, so there must be something else going on, that I haven't described to you.

I'll try and replicate it.
Sikret
No need for more tests, leonidas!

thetruth reported that Firkraag and Abazigal behave differently and I just found out the glitch in firkraag's script and fixed it. I sent a fixfile to thetruth for a final test. I'm almost sure that it will work seamlessly; thetruth will tell us.

Thanks again for the reports.
Romulas
QUOTE(Clown @ May 13 2007, 04:14 AM) *

I remember this happening with ia 3.0, so I don't think it is a new problem with ia 4.x. This problem does not show as long as you are fighting with a script, hence probably not too many people have seen it. But, after the sunray goes off you defineately need to retarget your fighter if not using an attack, script.

Romulas
thetruth

Yes the fix resolved the problem. Now Firkraag casts his RM on the PI.
Sikret
Thanks, thetruth!
luan
Alhoon the mindflayer uses the Ogre soundset!
Sikret
QUOTE(luan @ May 14 2007, 01:17 PM) *
Alhoon the mindflayer uses the Ogre soundset!

It's an original game's issue (not an IA bug). I will fix it though. Thanks.

I guess I should create a thread for bugs of the original game as distinct from bugs of IA's content.

EDIT: Just created the new thread.
luan
I acquired the poison head for the flail in WK. I decided to make my way back to De'Arnise to upgrade(protagonist is not a fighter), however, I noticed I couldn't gain access. There was no area transition cursor for the secret side entrance. Additionally, the drawbridge was raised! My plans to upgrade prior to ToB were foiled!
Sikret
QUOTE(luan @ May 16 2007, 03:32 AM) *
I acquired the poison head for the flail in WK. I decided to make my way back to De'Arnise to upgrade(protagonist is not a fighter), however, I noticed I couldn't gain access. There was no area transition cursor for the secret side entrance. Additionally, the drawbridge was raised! My plans to upgrade prior to ToB were foiled!

It's not a bug. I never said that I will ensure your access to the forge in D'Arnise keep under every condition. The forge is capabale of forging the +4 flail if you have access to it.

Noelle
Hi

Just 2 things about the Dracolich battle. The first one's a tiny thing, Dracolich says something about humans making it so far and then says "How impressing!" I thought it should be "How impressive!" heh

Anyway the other thing was during the battle, valygar got level drained (dropped to lvl 7 from 23) and I'm not sure what I did, (Don't think I did anything), just kept pounding on dl and suddenly valygar's level drain goes off...so he's back to lvl 23. Then his level drops to 15/23 and I get a message that he's levelled up.

However, in clicking on the level up button, his HP jumped by about 20 or so (8 levels), gained 6 special abilities etc. So in effect in that one battle, he gained 8 levels that he already had, even though nothing actually happened to allow him to level. anything wrong with that? I don't think I can reproduce anything that happened in the battle though, was tough trying to bring him down as it was ;o)

Just wanted to bring that out!
coaster
Hi

I had Cromwell forge the boots of improved haste, which raised my attacks per round to 9. However when I cast haste on the whole party, my ApR falls to 5. Is this just displaying the number of ApR wrongly or is the haste spell "overruling" the boots of improved haste?

By the way, just taken over the planar sphere - great mod so far, an excellent challenge.

coaster
Sikret
QUOTE(Noelle @ May 17 2007, 05:03 PM) *
Hi

Just 2 things about the Dracolich battle. The first one's a tiny thing, Dracolich says something about humans making it so far and then says "How impressing!" I thought it should be "How impressive!" heh

I'll check and fix the typo. Thanks!
Anyway the other thing was during the battle, valygar got level drained (dropped to lvl 7 from 23) and I'm not sure what I did, (Don't think I did anything), just kept pounding on dl and suddenly valygar's level drain goes off...so he's back to lvl 23. Then his level drops to 15/23 and I get a message that he's levelled up.

However, in clicking on the level up button, his HP jumped by about 20 or so (8 levels), gained 6 special abilities etc. So in effect in that one battle, he gained 8 levels that he already had, even though nothing actually happened to allow him to level. anything wrong with that?

No, everything is normal. No bugs.

The breath's level drain has a duration which will expire. But you have killed Dracolich and have gained the XP before the duration expires. That's what has happended in your game.

luan
Kaligun's Amulet of Magic Resistance
Amulet of 5% Magic Resistance
Two Amulets of Protection
Periapt of Proof Against Poison
20,000 gp

-> Talisman of greater protection

Armor Class Bonus: +2
Saving Throw Bonus: +2
Magic Resistance Bonus: +15%
Immunity to poison
Not Usable By:
Wizard Slayer

Can't seem to forge this one. I have all the necessary ingredients and 20467 gold.

Are these Amulets of Protection +1?

Edit: After accumulating 70k, I was able to forge the amulet.
Sikret
QUOTE(luan @ May 19 2007, 01:45 PM) *
Kaligun's Amulet of Magic Resistance
Amulet of 5% Magic Resistance
Two Amulets of Protection
Periapt of Proof Against Poison
20,000 gp

-> Talisman of greater protection

Armor Class Bonus: +2
Saving Throw Bonus: +2
Magic Resistance Bonus: +15%
Immunity to poison
Not Usable By:
Wizard Slayer

Can't seem to forge this one. I have all the necessary ingredients and 20467 gold.

Are these Amulets of Protection +1?

Yes, they are +1 amulets. It's a bug. Just fixed. Thanks for the report. (But even now, you can forge the if you also have a Permanency Scroll with yourself. I assume you don't have one. Cromwell doesn't ask for it but looks for it before forging the item. If you have one of those scrolls, he will forge the amulet for you and will not even consume your scroll. This was a bug because he should not look for the scroll at all. It's fixed for v4.3).

Mongerman
Using a Permanency Scroll on the combination of two pairs of Boots of Speed and two Scrolls of Improved Haste, these boots grant permanent Improved Haste to their wielder.

I believe you 'wear' rather then 'wield' boots
Noelle
Hi all!

Sikret : Many thanks again for the great mod. Real tough, some of the battles...I've reloaded so many times I think there ought to be a reload quick key tongue.gif

But anyway, just a teeny thing at Cromwell's. When forging the improved helmet of charm prot he says "..I can improved you helmet..." Thought that should have been "I can improve your helmet..."

PS Any chance of resisting command/greater command as well? tongue.gif

Thanks!!!
Toxeus
QUOTE(Noelle @ May 26 2007, 11:28 PM) *

Hi all!

Sikret : Many thanks again for the great mod. Real tough, some of the battles...I've reloaded so many times I think there ought to be a reload quick key tongue.gif

Options - game play - assign keys. Then choose 'quick load' from miscellaneous and assign to key you want smile.gif
Janduin
Hi there,

Just posting here because I don't think this merits a new thread.

No custom kits including the Vagrant kit are working, I can select them in the create character screen but when I get to selecting the alignment they are all greyed out and I can't select any. I have done your recommended installation. The Fixpack, the 5 Ease of Use mods, Other Compatible Mods and then Improved Anvil. The other Mods I installed are Sheena NPC and Expanded Spell Progression for Rangers and Paladins.

I uninstalled IA and then Sheena and Expanded Spell Progression and even the Ease of Use Mods. Then I installed the Knight kit from PoF Kits and tried to using that and I had the same problem. Before I have never installed the BG2ThroneOfBhallFixPack112 and custom kits like the Knight kit worked fine. Just wondering if the fixpack is doing this because I love rangers and want to play the Vagrant. sleep.gif

Thanks,
Dean
Sikret
Welcome to BWL, Janduin!

I suggest installing the whole game afresh, then the official patch and the Baldurdash. Then Ease-of-Use and IA (no other mods for now because you are testing). I'm pretty sure that your problem with Vagrant kit will be sloved. Once you verify this, uninstall IA, install your other mods (but don't install the expanded spell progression for rangers and paladins) and then test it again. Let me know the result.
Janduin
Thanks for the welcome and quick response.

I'm still having the same problem sad.gif . I reinstalled SoA and ToB, then installed the Official Patch, Baldurdash fixpack(non-weidu), 5 Ease of Use Mods and Improved Anvil (nothing else, they are the only mods installed). I started up BG2 and went to create my character, selected Vagrant and now i'm on the Alignment screen and the nine alignments are all greyed out. I cannot select one so I can't click on done :S.

Thanks for your help, if it is possible to fix that would be great but if not thanks for replying to my message.

BTW - All of the original BG2 kits work just fine.

Thanks,
Dean
Sikret
A few questions:

1- Are you perchance using a Mac system?
2- What are those 5 Ease-of-Use components you installed? Uninstall them and see if it helps.
3- Try downloading the mod afresh from the download center and unzip it again (in case you might have a bad download the first time.)

If all these fail, play the mod with a different PC. IA v4.3 will be released soon and players who are in the middle of playing a vagrant ranger will need to start a new game anyway (other won't need to do so), because the kit is revised in v4.3
Janduin
The Five Ease of Use Mods are the ones you recommended.
- True Grand Mastery
- Wear Magical Armor AND Magic Rings
- Un-Nerfed THAC0 Tables, Saving Throws etc.
- XP Cap Remover
- Bonus Merchants

But I think I found the problem, it's the fixpack. I reinstalled SoA and ToB again, installed the ToB Official Patch but not the Baldurdash Fixpack. Then I installed the Knight Kit and it worked. On character creation I could select my alignment as is normal.

Right now I'm thinking of deleting the Knight kit, installing Ease of Use Mods and then Improved Anvil. But will it work fine without the Baldurdash Fixpack? Or is there another alternative to the 112 non-weidu version?

Edit: Sorry I forgot your other questions.
1. No, i'm using Windows Vista, my PC is HP brand sleep.gif.
2. Answer above
3. I can't download it again, my DL limit is almost up! sad.gif Have to wait a few days.
Sikret
QUOTE(Janduin @ May 30 2007, 01:12 PM) *
But will it work fine without the Baldurdash Fixpack?

No, it won't work as intended without the fixpack. But Baldurdash TOB Fixpack doesn't normally cause any such problem. There is something wrong in your game. Do you completely delete the content of your main BG2 folder before installing the game? You need to do so, because it is possible that some corrupted file is there in that folder which remains even after every clean installation.

Janduin
Yes I always delete the files remaining manuelly after uninstalling. One time my PC wouldnt read disc2 because of the remaining "compatibility files" which include the baldur.ini. So I learnt to delete everything on a re-install. When I found a notepad file that said something like ToBFixpack in there I knew there must be a problem with it.

Yeah, I realise this is a very weird situation, so thanks for replying yet again. Thanks for making this mod also, I have been looking forward to playing it for a while only to find out I can't use the Vagrant class. Perhaps I will just use a Stalker.

Also, just before I installed Improved Anvil without the Fixpack and the Vagrant class works fine, I had no trouble on the Alignment screen. Just waiting to see if you think IA won't work properly before I actually play it.

This is the Fixpack I downloaded FixPack v1.12 (2001 - Sept. - 27) from http://www.baldurdash.org/ToB/Fixes/TOBfixes.html . Am wondering if another fixpack will work with your mod?

Thanks,
Dean
Noelle
Hi 2 tiny things

1. Making the improved dragon helm. Item description is "saving thorws" rather than throws.

2. Boots of Agility. AC +7 bonuc as opposed to bonus. Tks!
Sikret
@Noelle

I fixed the typos. Many thanks for the report.
Arkain
Not really a posting about bugs, but more a question about possible bugs:

I'm actually having some problems with enormous loading/saving times since late SoA (don't ask me why... no idea). There's a beta patch for that issue. Can I simply install it and everything is fine (well, let's hope so. It's quite annoying to wait like 5 minutes for the game to load...) or would I need to install IA or rather everything anew to eliminate the possibility of bugs?
Arkain
I've found typos in the description of the Mage Robe of Elemental Resistance ("protetive") and in the dialogue with the Rakshasa Prince ("theis issue" in one of the answers you can choose instead of "this issue").
Sikret
QUOTE(Arkain @ Jun 16 2007, 03:45 AM) *
I've found typos in the description of the Mage Robe of Elemental Resistance ("protetive") and in the dialogue with the Rakshasa Prince ("theis issue" in one of the answers you can choose instead of "this issue").

Fixed and thanks!

Stu
I think I picked up a +1 composite long bow whilst taking down Mae'Vear. After acquiring the guild as my stronghold I tried to sell it to Rettel (the fence that is behind the counter as soon as you walk in). It appears that the Composite longbow +1 I scavenged was flagged as stolen and that "Rettel the fence" is not a fence at all!
Heres a link to a screeny of it (in case you need proof wink.gif)

I do have a few mods that I probably shouldn't be using but I don't think they change much in the theives guild (or at least not the components that I installed). I used:
Baldurdash Fixpack v1.12, BG2 TweakPack v4 (parts of), Unfinished Business v15 (parts of), Quest Pack v23 (parts of), tower of deception, Banter Pack v6 and Improved Anvil 4.2.
Sikret
QUOTE(Stu @ Jul 2 2007, 05:15 PM) *
I think I picked up a +1 composite long bow whilst taking down Mae'Vear. After acquiring the guild as my stronghold I tried to sell it to Rettel (the fence that is behind the counter as soon as you walk in). It appears that the Composite longbow +1 I scavenged was flagged as stolen

It's not related to IA, Stu.

Stu
Ok, just thought I'd check, thanks for the reply.
Stu
When I was fighting the Shade Lord I took out all of his support but he managed to kill my two top fighters and put the rest of my party to sleep (not all at the same time). He then didn't do too much for the 10 or so minutes (probably not this long - I was pretty tense though and it felt like ages) that it took for the rest of my party to wake up; he just kinda stood there and let his protections wear out.
(BTW I thought this fight was way too hard overall)

Also was the shadow dragon supposed to have any randomised items? The first attempt at taking him out failed miserably so I decided to CTRL+Y him just to see what he had before reloading. I thought he had something that looked like the blade of roses, but when I did kill him (properly) it wasn't there (just scales, teeth, gems and scrolls). I reloaded an older save and CTRL+Yed him again to check and there was nothing there again.
Raven
QUOTE(Stu @ Jul 7 2007, 09:51 AM) *

When I was fighting the Shade Lord I took out all of his support but he managed to kill my two top fighters and put the rest of my party to sleep (not all at the same time). He then didn't do too much for the 10 or so minutes (probably not this long - I was pretty tense though and it felt like ages) that it took for the rest of my party to wake up; he just kinda stood there and let his protections wear out.

Yes I noticed this too - perhaps the Shade Lord hasn't been scripted to do anything to characters who are unconscious etc.

QUOTE(Stu @ Jul 7 2007, 09:51 AM) *

BTW I thought this fight was way too hard overall

Other people have commented in the past that this is one of the hardest fights in SOA. How much xp does your party have? Is it possible you just tried it too early?
Marceror
I found this battle challenging, but very doable. That said, I waited until I had done the better part of the chapter 2/chapter 3 quests before I tried it.

Spoiler Alert:

My first attempt was a pitiful defeat, because I didn't take out the shadow altar soon enough. It kept summoning undead, and I soon found myself completely overwhelmed (especially with Anomen confused (ran out of chaotic commands) and unable to turn undead). The second attempt, where I got the shadow altar first, went a whole lot better for me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.