Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Party of lesser-used classes and kits
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Pages: 1, 2, 3
chaser
To utilize AI weakness——I mean some behaviors such as run out enemy`s sight then save/load or rest,separate Kurin and elemental golems,etc···Not suggest IA veterans do that.
Krell
Actually the ADHW tactic seems fine for the balors. Pierce Magic or Pierce Shield can also be used to lower their resistance - Pierce Magic is better because it has a shorter-casting time. It may be tricky to shoot 6*ADHW via two Chain Contingencies though, but this also can be arranged by setting the first one to trigger at 50% HP and then use damage spells on self to trigger it at the right moment. Also Greater Malison to lower their saves. Well thought. @chaser - if you could provide some link to those Chinese forums, my guess is that we all have a lot to learn from those guys.

Not sure if IA fixes the bug where ADHW targeting self via CC ignores enemy magic resistance. If not, there is the answer to that easy tactic. I never thought of using ADHW on balors myself, but then again I also never checked their resistances and vulnerabilities. My guess is that a lot of easy IA tactics can be developed if one is familiar with all enemy stats, skills and resistances before engaging in combat.

@ blastermaster - concerning your Lesser Force victory, well thought, mainly because the tactic can be applied on insane difficulty with great probability of success, but will require some Barbarian Essences as well. In my run, I won't be able to reach that place, because I forgot that the expanded Necro quests are only available to a good-aligned necromancer, and mine, naturally, is evil - as all Necromancers are.

BTW, I didn't quite get it, did you defeat Orcus or not? Because it seemed you had a lot of trouble with him as well.

Also, where did you get the Time Stop scroll needed for the Expanded mage stronghold quests? As far as I remember, only the Ancient Dragon has a copy.

If you attempt the Twisted Rune, a word of advice - stay away from Vexaal and keep him busy with summons. Apart from a Monster Summoning VII scroll in there, nothing useful for your character, the Staff of the Magi can only be used by evil mages in v6.
nicoper
QUOTE(critto @ May 22 2015, 05:10 AM) *
The exploit where item abilities are refreshed once they're placed in Bag of Holding has long been fixed by TObex. I don't understand why its not in Anvil. It has far better implementation of numerous features which Anvil tries to emulate in a rather crude way.
This is the first time I hear about the bag of holding issue. Could you clarify?

@critto:
It is a vanilla prehistoric bug, once you put an item (summon, eye glasses, armor, weapon,....) with "0" charge in bag of hoding (any bag) and take it out, it recovers one charge.
this is valid for IA and non-IA items.

A complete ludicrous cheat IMO (I consider ludicrous cheats things that playing PnP you would not even dare to ask any dungeon master), no need to correct it, people who use it will (or have already) find other engine bugs to fulfill their aim.
That said, let everybody enjoy the game as he/she wants, but let's not make a confusion between handling a fight through engine bugs or through managing a party (or a solo player).

@blaster master:
Your accounts gave me temptation to try some "solo" fights with a high-level char (if only the balors who are, even with a party, a quite difficult fight), since I know nothing about scipting I will try to find a save, Crtl-Y party members and level-up my Necro (I don't even know how to make a multi Necro/fighter, to see the extent of my ignorance).

If I had to try a "weird" solo char run, I wonder how far a multi Auramaster/Kensaï would go in IA.... wink.gif

critto
A complete ludicrous cheat IMO (I consider ludicrous cheats things that playing PnP you would not even dare to ask any dungeon master), no need to correct it, people who use it will (or have already) find other engine bugs to fulfill their aim.

There's no way to fix it via scripts anyway, only by patching the executable.
blastermaster
Nicoper, it's a ton of fun. Solo games are in many ways more fun because it gets tedious in 6-character games applying all buffs to all characters, over and over. My character is using the level cap, so he's level 23 Mage, 27 Fighter. I think he could do *almost* as well as a level 9 Berserker (or plain fighter) dualed to a Necro. The Thac0 would be problematic, as would the lack of Critical Strikes, but it would be nice to be immune to Remove Magic and to have those extra level 9 spells.

If you want to turn your necro into a fighter mage, the best way is to just use Shadowkeeper. You can alter his base HP, his base Thac0, his saves, and his base attacks per round to 2.5 (1 base, 0.5 for specialization, 0.5 for level 7 fighter, 0.5 for level 13 fighter). Oh and adjust proficiencies too of course. I went a more circuitous route as I didn't want to have to open up Shadow Keeper every time I leveled in the early levels. I would definitely suggest trying the Balor fight if you have a save around there. Would be cool to try chaser's ADHW strategy; I think with the right preparation of RVE Mental Agilities, you might be able to fire off enough Lower Resistances and ADHW's to knock out some or all of them. Timing will be crucial though, as you'll be taking 18 Finger of Deaths and even if they don't kill you, most will disrupt.

Kensai/Auramaster would be cool. At the beginning of this run, I had regrets and wanted to try a Ranger/Cleric type of character (maybe a Protector/Cleric, or a Vagrant/Cleric). Rangers are my favorite class and how awesome would it be to have the Improved Haste boots on a solo char :-) However, at this point I can say I don't think that character would be feasible. Lack of Breach would be hurtful, but the real problem is lack of PFMW. That spell is just so crucial; Stone/Ironskins at 10 per casting just don't hold up. I won't say it's impossible, but it seems like it would be to me. Kensai/Auramaster is fairly easy to set up in Shadow Keeper though.

What I would suggest if someone wants a challenge is to try to beat IA with a party of 3 "legal" characters. I'd probably suggest a Necro protagonist and a F/M and maybe some kind of divine caster (or, frankly, another F/M). I am very confident this can be accomplished after my experience thus far. It may well be possible with 2 legal characters as well, something like a Necro and a F/M or maybe two F/M. The only concern I'd have is where to find Spell Immunity scrolls due to the dumb scripts related to small parties and F/M characters.

Another cool challenge would be a no-arcane party. I don't see any record of someone trying this on the forums, but I think it would be reasonably feasible. Vagrant protagonist, Auramaster, Protector, and one or two Ranger-Clerics perhaps. With enough ironskinned characters, positioning and movement could allow them to share the brunt of blows enough that they can each refresh their skins once per round and stay alive.
Krell
@ nicoper: I myself think that the bag of holding recharge item is a cheat, however I just wanted to try if there is ANY possible way to defeat the Ancient Dragon on Insane with a multiclass F/M protagonist without resorting to external game changes or CLUAconsole commands. Now that I did that, I am curious if there is a way for a solo character to make a successful IA v6 no-reload insane run even with such in-game cheats and exploits like the bag of holding recharge item or infinite xp/gold exploits. Are you familiar with the Tactics mod? People say it is virtually passable only by applying cheese tactics vs AI's cheesy scripts. In a way, IA v6 has turned the same if you attempt it in a solo game.

@ chaser:
To utilize AI weakness——I mean some behaviors such as run out enemy`s sight then save/load or rest,separate Kurin and elemental golems,etc···Not suggest IA veterans do that.

Divide and conquer has been a legal tactic since the world exist. For me, those who didn't try to win against Kruin by dividing his forces simply were unable to think of this tactic. As for "IA veterans" or "tacticians" - IMO any who plays on Core difficulty with multiple reloads isn't one. Playing on core is like wearing a 50% damage protective item at all times, compared to Insane. And reloading multiple times to get one win which you can then again repeat after multiple reloads is, well, not a good tactic at all. It's just a way to show to all players how great is the overpowered spell "Load Game" once again. The only tactician on this forum is a guy with the nickname HTRT, since he alone could devise sound insane tactics in his run. Nicoper did some decent victories in his Insane run, but he failed to win the EDE, which is the real challenge.

As for a Kensai/Auramaster - I think such a character has a decent chance of success but only with the xp cap removed, because this way he can get really good physical resistance, which will compensate for the lack of PFMW.
chaser
Except the link I metioned above,there are some more.Some threads relate a lot exploits or spoilers,I decide not paste them here,if someone really want to take a look,you can PM me.
nicoper
QUOTE(blastermaster @ May 22 2015, 12:24 PM) *
If you want to turn your necro into a fighter mage, the best way is to just use Shadowkeeper. You can alter his base HP, his base Thac0, his saves, and his base attacks per round to 2.5 (1 base, 0.5 for specialization, 0.5 for level 7 fighter, 0.5 for level 13 fighter). Oh and adjust proficiencies too of course. I went a more circuitous route as I didn't want to have to open up Shadow Keeper every time I leveled in the early levels. I would definitely suggest trying the Balor fight if you have a save around there. Would be cool to try chaser's ADHW strategy; I think with the right preparation of RVE Mental Agilities, you might be able to fire off enough Lower Resistances and ADHW's to knock out some or all of them. Timing will be crucial though, as you'll be taking 18 Finger of Deaths and even if they don't kill you, most will disrupt.

My "solo" idea for balor was to use a "Clua-cheated" high level Necro (maybe 29-30) and try to figure a magic-fighting of demon bunch.
For FoD here, I usually rely on (previously cast) Foreknowledge and aura cleansed to trigger SI:Nec While they all fly towards me

Kensai/Auramaster would be cool. At the beginning of this run, I had regrets and wanted to try a Ranger/Cleric type of character (maybe a Protector/Cleric, or a Vagrant/Cleric). Rangers are my favorite class and how awesome would it be to have the Improved Haste boots on a solo char :-) However, at this point I can say I don't think that character would be feasible. Lack of Breach would be hurtful, but the real problem is lack of PFMW. That spell is just so crucial; Stone/Ironskins at 10 per casting just don't hold up. I won't say it's impossible, but it seems like it would be to me. Kensai/Auramaster is fairly easy to set up in Shadow Keeper though.

ironskin is instantaneous in vanilla BG2 for aura (casting is 10 in BG2EE only)
Vagrant/cleric I thought about, but dismissed because subject to silence...

What I would suggest if someone wants a challenge is to try to beat IA with a party of 3 "legal" characters. I'd probably suggest a Necro protagonist and a F/M and maybe some kind of divine caster (or, frankly, another F/M). I am very confident this can be accomplished after my experience thus far. It may well be possible with 2 legal characters as well, something like a Necro and a F/M or maybe two F/M. The only concern I'd have is where to find Spell Immunity scrolls due to the dumb scripts related to small parties and F/M characters.

I tried with 4 chars, very fun, for 3 I was once warned by Sikret that anti-cheat measures could make this impossible (or with huge drawbacks), though I wanted to try it ! (my pick there would have been Necro, RB and valygar)
I wanted to try it without breaking xp cap or exploit, having a party of 6 before spellhold (within cap) and reduce it to 3 after meeting Imoen (like I did for my party of 4)

Another cool challenge would be a no-arcane party. I don't see any record of someone trying this on the forums, but I think it would be reasonably feasible. Vagrant protagonist, Auramaster, Protector, and one or two Ranger-Clerics perhaps. With enough ironskinned characters, positioning and movement could allow them to share the brunt of blows enough that they can each refresh their skins once per round and stay alive.

No arcane I did and still do consider, party was supposed at first to be 3 vagrants, valygar (or a dual R->C) and 2 auramasters
Idea was vagrants can resist a lot magic assaults and provide supreme summons a plenty and are pretty decent fighters (I once had a successful run with Necro, sorc, 2 aura, 2 vagrants), auras with RRoR and dispel magic (once they reach a certain level) can cope with mages, valygar or R->C buff, heal support and fight, but realized my concern was to be IH! (one pair of boots late game is too scarce).
Solution is (as far as I consider a no-arcane party) to switch 2 vagrants to 2 RBs, keep one for summons (and magic/physical/elemental resist) and board Valygar (boots of IH for him later on)
I'm also interested to read about a no-arcane party! wink.gif

blastermaster
If the Balors were all in synch, you could "respond" to the Fingers while they are mid-flight with SI:Nec. But for one reason or another, their timing is a bit staggered, so it's hard to rely on this. I thought it would be my path to victory as well, but I wasn't able to do it reliably. Especially because inevitably some of them are right next to you, so by the time you see them fire off the Chain Contingency, you're too close to get the SI up.

For ironskins, I don't mean casting time but the number of "skins" or hits that it negates. As a solo char, there are many fights where I am getting hit more than 10 times per round. Or would be, without PFMW :-)

It's unfortunate that this mod seems to be viewed as a "difficulty" mod, rather than a "content" mod. There is a lot of cool content in the strongholds and other areas, but the degree to which someone can explore the mod and have fun in their own way is really shackled by what seems to be a desire to ensure that the mod maintains a status of being the most hardcore.

For no-arcane, it would be pretty awesome to have 3 Vagrants and have something like 15 Swanmays helping you out sometimes. I had thought a bunch of R/C would be better to just keep raining Greater Restorations (an approximation of the Recast Vital Energy: Regeneration strategy). Now that I think of it though, I forgot the lack of Arcane spells would remove Improved Haste from the equation for most of SoA. So maybe Riskbreakers are a better call than divine casters.

As for my current run, I just killed Irenicus and have paused at the beginning of ToB. The Slayer's regeneration is perhaps the highest in the game. I actually reloaded once because I thought the Slayer was bugged... I couldn't get him off of Barely Injured for something like 5 rounds of swinging nonstop. I did have some Critical Strikes but forgot to use them; I assumed there was some kind of bug where it didn't record my kill of one of his helpers so he was invulnerable. Upon the reload, I was able to grind him out with about 7 rounds of Critical Strikes.
blastermaster
Ilasera, easy. Gromnir, not too bad. Fire temple, not too bad. I thought I remembered a lot more Elite Fire Giants in there with my party of 6 runthrough earlier this year.

Nyalee took a couple of reloads for me to figure out how to kill her from a position in which I could actually escape the area. First two tries I was able to kill her but could not kill the Skeleton Lords and other baddies faster than they were being created, and as a result I just got trapped. Shambling Mounds are immune to crushing, I forgot about this. Such a cool art for those guys, it's a shame you only see something like four of them in the entire game.
blastermaster
Supreme Leader is looking very difficult. It appears there is no limit to the golem summons of those two summoners, so they clearly have to be killed as top priority. However the resulting Anti-Inquisitors are a nightmare. 90 physical resist, 150 HP (not to mention their potions), and they strip protections and lower fire resistance and attack with fire every 2 rounds.

I will try to give it a shot with RVE regeneration, since that isn't dispelled, but I suspect if I enter the area with it, it will only last long enough for me to kill the summoners (when I don't need it anyways).

If that doesn't work (and I don't expect it to), I may have to use some barbarian essence potions here. 4 potions would get me to 105 physical resist, which may be enough (if I let a couple of coin and gem golems wail on me) to keep me alive until the Anti-Inquisitors are dead. I wanted to save them for EDE, but offhand the only other time I think I might need them before then is the Yaga Shura battle, which terrifies me.
critto
Playing on core is like wearing a 50% damage protective item at all times, compared to Insane.

This is speculation. By the game designers' definition, core rules is what constitutes a normal amount of damage, everything lower being halved or otherwise reduced and everything higher being artificially increased. Insane is not a base point against which one should judge another's ability.
Krell
QUOTE(critto @ May 23 2015, 04:01 PM) *
Playing on core is like wearing a 50% damage protective item at all times, compared to Insane.

This is speculation. By the game designers' definition, core rules is what constitutes a normal amount of damage, everything lower being halved or otherwise reduced and everything higher being artificially increased. Insane is not a base point against which one should judge another's ability.

To some extent, I agree. Core-level players sometimes come up with great tactics. Still, Insane-level develops tactical skills much further. Many successful runs I've read about in this forum would be impossible to repeat on Insane with the described tactics. No-reload feature adds a lot more to the tactical skill of a player. Many core IA players think of (and use) similar tactics, which have high probability chance of success on Core, and not so high on Insane. To put it simply - finding a working Core tactic - relatively easy. Finding a working Insane tactic - much harder. Finding a working Insane tactic which has a probability win chance 100% - this should be the goal to any who tries to really develop tactical skills. I am really frustrated with the idea of chaining one's mind and forcing him/her to play the game in a more or less linear fashion. Things like *always keep the party together in a fight*, *don't replenish spell sequencers in a midst of a fight*, *never retreat*, etc, etc may sound glorifying, but remind me of some sort of military commands and rules. Why? This is a game. Commandments like that will limit severely the skill of the player who decides to follow them. First, many still-existing bugs and exploits will be left unfound. Second, many good tactics will never be discovered.

I completely understand that many of even experienced IA players don't feel confident to undertake an Insane run. Just a word of advice - since most of you never completed an Insane run, don't be too hasty to judge the tactics of a player who has.

Edit: Had to quit my solo evil necromancer run. After clearing the sphere and temple ruins, no Vocalize scroll was found on Traxi's body. Without the amulet of Hades, I might as well try my F/M/T from v5 solo. I hoped that a solo necromancer won't trigger any *ant-solo* precautions. Apparently he does. F/M/T solo should be fair enough, since there are heavy anti-solo measures installed in the mod. It's basically cheese vs cheese as I already explained.

At present, my F/M/T solo insane has just won the Twisted Rune on the first attempt (chapter 3).
chaser
Does an no arcane party include bards or an UAI thief(K/T,A/F and so on)?No lower risistance and breach hurt a lot,have one or two bards will compensate it a little.

In fact,the author of the mage party,whose nickname is "+9"(I translate its Chinese meaning into English),he and I and several other players developed some sound tactics for insane difficulty.To play a succesful insane run,there are 4 factors should take into consideration:

1.Party composition:You need at least 1.5 arcane casters(at least one dual mage and one multi mage),1 healer,2 or more woarriors in party.It's a standard party,can cope with any situation(IMO).Weird party compositon is not suit for insane difficulty,you might get stuck somewhere.

2.Be familier with enemies:Good tactics are based on being familier with enemy weakness,you can reload several times to find it,or use Ctrl+R to see enemy stats and resistances directly.The biggest secrets are hidden in DLTCEP,to check enemy skills and behaviors,it would make a player lose interest to this game soon,I never use it nor recommend it.

3.The order you play the game:There are at least two bosses are extremely hard on insane,if you want to face them early,namely,in late SOA.
One is ancient dragon,the antient dragon breath may cause extremely high damage on insane,which can get a 200+ hp(in theory, a 320 HP character) 0 fire resistance character who succeed in save with breath chuncked in one hit.+9 developed a good tactic against it,you should take a look.It would be much easier to defeat it if you leave this boss to TOB.
Another one is demon prince.The demon prince have a skill "burn mortal",he would use it very frequently after he summons all minions.Burn mortal will cause very high fire damage,cooperate with infinite lower fire resistance,rm and other fire AOE,any party member whose HP below 150 don't even dare get close to him.If you face him in late TOB,after have a lv32 mage,he can be killed before all minions summons,or he wouldn't have chance to cast burn mortal that many times.However,the earlier you face him,the earlier JD sword you obtain,so I decided to challenge him in late SOA,in the first time after I defeat antient dragon(my party has only 8m xp average).It was an extremely tough fight,I reloaded so many times and get through once,very memorable.However,owning JD sword early gave me more pleasure than the pain I suffered.I defeated Orcus,mirror master and most TOB bosses including rakashasa prince easily with the help of this sword.

4.Executive ability:Insane difficulty require more executive ability than core.A minor mistake will kill the party,no-brainer tactics wouldn't work on insane.

All in all,insane difficulty inspire thorough tactics and better exceution,on the contrary,it restrict different party composition and different ways to play this game,some less powerful classes have no chance to appear,some bosses you wouldn't challenge at low level.

Krell,I watched some of your no-reload insane run videos,very great achievement.However,I don't suggest you been confined to a 100% certain tactic,some are a little consevative,some are using exploits.Why not try some more radical way?You may fail sometimes though,just like I did in JD fight,but you can taste a lot new things.Developing a perfect tactic and reload as fewer as possible is a goal to everyone,but don't be too insistent.For me,try different party composition and defeat a boss as quick as possible is my pursuit,I'll to make sure it first,then I'll consider reload fewer times.
Krell
I see your point, chaser, ok, let's everyone play the game the way they like, agreed?

Further testing (with a 40/40/40 F/M/T):

Orcus has some nasty script (Purges every 4 rounds). No need to fight him, but I will anyway. Turns out he can be manipulated very easily by leaving the Daystar blade on his doorstep. This way, one could prepare the battlefield (lacing it with multiple powerful summons for example), go back to catacombs level 1, pick up the Daystar from the ground, go back to catacombs level 2 and fight Orcus on much better terms.

Noble Spider does some good damage vs Skeleton Grandlords. Those have significant resistance vs piercing damage, yet I saw Noble Spiders doing averagely 10 dmg per hit. However even a horde of 16 Noble Spiders was easily slain by Orcus' army. I really need Greater Djinnis here.

The best weapon vs the Chromatic Demon remains Treefolk's Arm +3. It can be wielded with UAI (no penalty), and does additional 1 dmg per hit due to the demon being *unnatural* creature. The ice form is the worst, I suggest to be at the ready with freedom potion/scroll when he shapeshifts and gulp the potion/use the scroll for protection vs Freeze Mortals' slow effect. I had to use both the Dak'kon zerth blade + Ring of Acuity, and also the Ring of Wizardry + CC to get the necessary amount of Ice Storms and Cones of Cold to bring the demon to at least Badly Injured in the first two rounds. Other strategies may also be viable, like memorizing several Lower Resistance instead of Cones and waiting for the demon to transform, however that may not happen at all. So the sound strategy remains ice spells in the beginning + Treefolk Arm melee.

Marvella doesn't appear in the planar sphere at all. Probably another anti-solo or more likely anti-F/M PC measure.
blastermaster
Summoning a Noble Djinni every round is like wearing a 100% damage resistance belt, compared to people who don't abuse bugs.
blastermaster
Tried Supreme Leader with 5 barbarian essence potions, and it was easy. Won on first try by getting Supreme Leader isolated with some time to spare with the Barbarian Essence potions.

Took a few more tries with just 4 (getting me to 105 phys resist) and managed to win with some careful positioning (ensure you're surrounded by mostly Gem and Coin Golems, maintain fire resistance to avoid Comet which can displace a great setup). Tried the Gnasher club method on the anti-inquisitors and it seemed to work well. Upgraded Jhor seemed to work equally well, but no save on the Gnasher extra damage is pretty great.

Going to continue with WK as long as I can as I am dreading Yaga Shura.
Krell
QUOTE(blastermaster @ May 25 2015, 04:08 AM) *
Summoning a Noble Djinni every round is like wearing a 100% damage resistance belt, compared to people who don't abuse bugs.

Well, my F/M character doesn't have the Memory of the Apprenti (nor the Robe of Vecna actually, I doubt it will be found on the Ancient Dragon, probably wasn't dropped due to anti-solo precautions) or RVE, or Lord of the Underworld amulet. If I had all of those and was able to wear them, believe me, nothing else would be needed. Still, I reserve the multiple summons only to be used against enemies who use Greater or Grave silence, against which my char has no protection. So far used it vs the Twisted Rune only.
blastermaster
QUOTE(Krell @ May 24 2015, 10:02 PM) *
I see your point, chaser, ok, let's everyone play the game the way they like, agreed?

Please follow your own advice and stop butting into every thread on this forum to theorize about how someone's battle decisions would not work in a completely different setup such as your own.
Krell
A bit more info about the Mithril golem from my own run:

Hardiness is a no-no. The golem dispels combat protections once every round, and Hardiness unfortunately counts as one. (Minor) Globe cannot be dispelled by the golem however and is great vs his otherwise hard to save vs Slow spell. Limited Wish casts the Globe on all party members, but unfortunately not on summons. Treefolk's Arm at this stage of the game is probably the best weapons against the golem alongside the Black Blade of Disaster - they basically do almost the same amount of damage - average 3.3 per hit. Only by chaining five Alacrities, GWWs, Critical strikes and multiple (8 or 9) PFMW, I was able to best the golem, carefully watching for the nasty "specific protections dispelled" message every round and reacting immediately with a PFMW spell to it.

Also concerning other Improved Asylum encounters and info for those who never tried it:

Do not go near the portal on the base level. An Ice Golem, an Elemental Golem + a bunch of minor golems guard it, in addition to Ruhk and his mephits. Those drop no treasure nor do they give experience. The Doomplate is simply not worth that.

Skeleton Warlords will spawn right behind the Umberhulk painting on the Machine token level. In the current run got 4, in a previous run with 6 high-leveled party members got 24, so do the math - for each high-leveled party member you get additional 4 Skeleton Warlords to fight.

Forgetting to bring a wooden stake from Athkatla in the basic version of the asylum is nothing more than a minor nuisanse. In the hardest version however is a lot of pain. Resting on the Library level is hellish.

Pursuers: On base level, 3 Whisper spiders will appear immediately after the party has rested. On Library and Machine levels, each turn a group of pursuers will spawn, chase and attack the party. Listen for the footsteps to recognize what enemies you face. A slight clicking noise alarms for a group of 3 Whisper Spiders. Slow, heavy steps indicate a group of two Asylum scouts. And finally fast sounds similar to a bone hitting a bone indicates a group of 3 Skeleton Lords, who unlike other Skeleton Lords are actually immune to fire. None of these gives xp.
Krell
Orcus tests with a 40/40/40 lvl F/M/T.

First of all, he didn't use any Purge Magicks, then again my char didn't use buffs except for Improved Haste. Probably Purge Magic is triggered by stacking PFMW and Spell Immunity.

Beat him two different ways. The "honest" way requires two things - 4 Barbarian Essence potions plus some fast item equip/unequip. Orcus' most dangerous action is casting Paralyze (has only one apparently) which triggers immediately (no way to protect via re-equipping protection rings and cloaks) and holds PC in place. The hold effect is not scary, since it wanes in a turn. The scary thing is the following 3*FoD CC which cannot be reacted to anymore, given that PC is Held. So the logical choice of action is protecting PC via a potion of Freedom (cannot be dispelled by enemy melee hits) thus triggering the 3*FoD CC before enemy's Hold ability. Afterwards Greater Dooms wane and there is not even need to wear the Charm protection helmet anymore (essential vs Dominate spells while under Greater Doom/Malison).

Counted only two Silences of the Dead, strange, I thought those were 3. Maybe miscount. The only buff which needs refreshing once with the help of Contingency under Silence is Improved Haste.

Second way was much safer and included 20 Greater Djinnis.

Still, to waste 4 Barbarian essences in order to get 4 Barbarian essences and almost nothing more except some scrolls for money is, well, silly.
Krell
The Supreme Leader is a walk in the park with the help of Jan's armor + 4 Barbarian essences even on Insane. Unfortunately, couldn't think of any other way to survive those Anti-Inqisitors and their Torturous Inquisitions. Even so, even with the Ring of Fire Resistance and the Helm of Brilliance my PC's proFire was 75% after taking all Torturous Inqusitions. Still, it's easy enough to resist/protect vs the other Supreme Leader's offensive spells - Poseidon's Wrath vs ADHW, Boots of Grounding + Dragon Helm vs spell trigger: triple Chain lightning, and potions of healing/cat figurine against the Melf's acid arrows and Chromatic orbs. He leaves vampiric touches as last resort.
Krell
Couldn't find a way to beat Saladrex consistently on Insane. On Core it's completely possible to survive a Breath or two, but not on Insane. Managed to kill him twice the honest way, but died so many times to Wing Buffet + Breath or Breath when dragon is engaged in melee. Saladrex seems to be casting (and breathing) faster than Firkraag. Thing is that unlike Firkraag, his defences has to be waited out, which gives him plenty of time to stack multiple Lower Fire Resistances, and then no fire res gear can save PC. Also he's very fond of the Buffet + Breath combo. So unfortunately had to resort to Djinni's help, which did the job fine. 20 of them.

A bug: Don't know if anyone reported this, but here's the issue: There are two types of Chain Lightning scrolls in IA v6 which don't mix with one another. My guess is that the second CL scroll occupies the address of the exiled Mislead spell. So while they are basically the same spell, the game treats them differently, namely Cromwell. He will not accept the latter CL scroll (Mislead-turned-CL) for an item upgrade (like the Noble Staff of Air), but will only accept the first one. So be careful which one you're selling and best leave a couple of each.

Dunno if this is a bug, or anti-solo feature, or something else, but this is probably the third playthrough in a row without a Helmet of Defense. Saladrex should have it, but didn't drop it. Again. Is that item dropped by Saladrex only in case of a Necromancer PC? I remember getting it only with a Necro PC so far.
critto
Dunno if this is a bug, or anti-solo feature, or something else, but this is probably the third playthrough in a row without a Helmet of Defense. Saladrex should have it, but didn't drop it. Again. Is that item dropped by Saladrex only in case of a Necromancer PC? I remember getting it only with a Necro PC so far.
SPOILER!
Either Saladrex, Firkraag or Black Dragon might have it. Did you check all three of them?

A bug: Don't know if anyone reported this, but here's the issue: There are two types of Chain Lightning scrolls in IA v6 which don't mix with one another.

Indeed. I'll fix it in 6.2.
Krell
QUOTE(critto @ May 30 2015, 10:54 PM) *
SPOILER!
Either Saladrex, Firkraag or Black Dragon might have it. Did you check all three of them?

No, didn't check the last one. We'll see if he got it.
Krell
Regrettably, the Ancient Dragon cannot be killed on Insane difficulty with a character vulnerable to Silence. Well, supposedly he can be killed once in a thousand attempts. I did kill his minions several times, but after that the Greater Doom + Greater Silence + spammed Lower Fire Res + fire damaging spells/breath is just too much. I guess it still may be doable on Core in, let's say, 25-30% of the cases, but as for a sound tactic, that is a no-no. Sorry Greater Djinnies, it seems it's your job again.

So far greater djinnies used vs: Saladrex, Orcus, Ancient Dragon. I try to avoid these as much as possible, really, but on the other hand I'm not looking for a win one out of hundred, but one which can be applied consistently like 95% of the time.
Krell
All of ToB's enemies didn't require any genie spamming. Pre-EDE some impressions:

Easy fights: Yaga-Shura, Oasis, Illasera
Medium difficulty fights: Gromnir due to Karun the Black. It's really hard to refresh illusions and immunity Divination without being exposed even for a second. Still, I discovered that the neglected 5th level spell Shadow Door is very useful since it overlaps with Improved Invisibility. The spell may be useful in other situations too since it doesn't actually provide the 4 bonus to saves and thus doesn't trigger additional Greater Doom castings in case of a dragon fight.
Hard fights: Draconis, Abazigal, Sendai

Sendai simply has to be done the right way, then it becomes easy. It is possible for a soloer to kill the Pet before it roars. If the pet manages to roar, this doesn't affect scroll PFMW casting. Web golems have a really low AC, spent all my remaining 15 criticals on them. Sendai needs a lot of Breach scrolls to be taken down because of her numerous defences. One on one she cannot be overwhelmed with an alpha strike as would a team do.

Draconis is vulnerable to fire and magical damage. He's very clever in reserving some combat protections and starts actvating them at Badly Injured. Still he can be killed in a blink under Alacrity the moment he transforms.

Azi: same as Draconis, vulnerable to Acid as well, starts dragon form with Protection from Magical Energy which hs to be Breached first, tricky part being casting Alacrity after buffs are dispelled. Waiting the Frost Salamander's Prince Dimension Door near PC is a good moment to start casting Alacrity.

I was trying to minimize the quantity of fights which can be won by spamming summons, but I don't see how to avoid that in the Epic Divine Encounter. I'm open for suggestions.
chaser
Here are some tips:
SPOILER!
Lack of damage output and an anti-solo mechanism are the two biggest problems.The anti-solo mechanism means:When party member less than 5,prince will cast purge magic every 6 rounds instead of every 10 rounds…(using SI:abj and SI:Div will cause the same consequence).Additionally,when a character who tanks prince use PFMW and Absolute Immunity,the prince will cast single purge magic to him every 2 rounds…Besides purge magic,prince will cast RM every 6 rounds.

Different from blastermaster's F/N,your FMC can't wish for rest,can't wield halbred(Dragonlord and Poseidon are extremely useful here),but you have an invaluable spell:Far Sight. Prince won't(Supreme Golem and Ultra Golem won't either)summon minions when no character in his sight,nor wouldn't he cast purge magic.So your summons would be busy in this battle.

SI:Evocation can block Fire Shield of Supreme Golem and Field of Repulsor of the prince.

The whole procedure would be very very long,so you may want to save to make sure make no mistake in later stage.You can save in the five trail ground but don't save in the main battle field,otherwise each time you reload,there will be 3-9 rakashas waiting for you…
Krell
Tnx for the Purge Magic input, so I'm looking at one every 6 rounds, this is nasty. At least it doesn't affect summons.

As for the other, first, my char is F/M/T, not F/M/C, so he will be able to use a lot of items in the oncoming fight. Will definitely try SI:E, unfortunately I have only so many Spell Immunities at my disposal with no way of refreshing those.

Unfortunately my solo char cannot fight and effectively summon powerful stuff, that and the 6-round Purge will be the biggest problems I suppose. My char does have Farsight and I have already memorized almost all 4-th level slots to be Farsight.

We'll see how testing goes from now on.
chaser
As for the other, first, my char is F/M/T, not F/M/C, so he will be able to use a lot of items in the oncoming fight.

Oh,it's my fault,didn't notice that mages can use Farsight either. wacko.gif

BTW,wielding Foebane as off-hand can do extra damage to Rakashas(including the Prince),you can try it…
Krell
Killed the three golems, the four Noble Rakshasas and all of the Horrid Rakshasas the prince could summon. By spamming multiple Djinnies naturally.

Djinnies seem to hit the Prince only on a Critical. Fair enough. PC on the other hand with main hand THAC0 of -20 is also able to hit the Prince only on Criticals. Anyone care to tell me if this is an anti-solo, or an anti-FMT or an anti-save-during-combat feature?

Edit: Cannot damage him fast enough even with the best weapons at my disposal. Even with tbe Black Blade of Disaster which gives my char 10 APR total. I deal an average of 80 damage per round at the cost of a Critical strike. Despite the fact that I can rest in mid-battle and refresh those, Barbarian Essences cannot be refreshed. Still, I'd probably figure out something if not for the fact that with the 6-round Universal purges I cannot keep the damage ratio up. Djinnies don't help and they're most probably the best fighters I have at my disposal.
critto
It's neither of those. He has AC of -22, do the math.
Krell
QUOTE(critto @ Jun 2 2015, 06:03 PM) *
It's neither of those. He has AC of -22, do the math.

-20 THAC0 vs -22 AC? My char should be able to hit him on a roll of 4 or better. As I said, she only can hit him on a critical strike. Even a roll of 19 misses.
critto
Yes, I miscalculated, thac0 werids me out sometimes. Anyhow, I don't have a save game near EDE to test that. Send me your save, I'll check it out.
Krell
Sorry, false alarm. Seems like I was just fighting him Fatigued. That explains the low damage too. When I drank a potion, everything went back to normal. Can definitely harm him well enough right now. Testing continues.

Edited: Found a way to trap the Rakshasa Prince:

The thing which blocks the path of the Prince is a petrified Adamantite golem, created via the Limited Wish spell.

Now I have unlimited restings, haven't wasted a single Barb essence or other useful limited charge items except for two Wish and two Limited Wish scrolls.

Unfortunately after resting the prince recuperates as well with full 4 Noble Rakshasa summons and 6 Absolute Immunities.
chaser
Well,I'm still interested in a 3 vagrants party and their 15 swaymays.

The idea originated from the no-arcane party that some of you mentioned before.The no-arcane party is challenging,but can't exert full potential of the summons.
Although I consider summon such IA creatures(swaymay,Djinni,noble spider etc.)have no number limitation as an unfixed bug,I still wonder how powerful can a summon army be.

So my planned party is:
Necro PC,3 Vagrants,Cernd and Lathader14/Mage(or another Auramaster)
Each party member can summon,Necro PC can wish mass IH,the Lathader14/mage can cast Bless,Chant,Defensive Harmony and Protect From Evil,the Auramaster can insta-heal and regenerate the summons.So it must be an interesting journey.
Sadly,I have tested the song effect of Bard,it doesn't work on summons… sad.gif

I also consider Vagrant PC,but it seems not that interesting because of the elder swaymay army in EDE,which makes this battle very easy,and I don't think it is necessary to summon swaymays anymore.Another problem is,in the Vagrant quest,the elemental golem will appear while any vagrant summon a swaymay,no matter the vagrant is a protag or not…
nicoper
QUOTE(chaser @ Jun 15 2015, 12:11 AM) *
Well,I'm still interested in a 3 vagrants party and their 15 swaymays.

The idea originated from the no-arcane party that some of you mentioned before.The no-arcane party is challenging,but can't exert full potential of the summons.
Although I consider summon such IA creatures(swaymay,Djinni,noble spider etc.)have no number limitation as an unfixed bug,I still wonder how powerful can a summon army be.

So my planned party is:
Necro PC,3 Vagrants,Cernd and Lathader14/Mage(or another Auramaster)
Each party member can summon,Necro PC can wish mass IH,the Lathader14/mage can cast Bless,Chant,Defensive Harmony and Protect From Evil,the Auramaster can insta-heal and regenerate the summons.So it must be an interesting journey.
Sadly,I have tested the song effect of Bard,it doesn't work on summons… sad.gif

I also consider Vagrant PC,but it seems not that interesting because of the elder swaymay army in EDE,which makes this battle very easy,and I don't think it is necessary to summon swaymays anymore.Another problem is,in the Vagrant quest,the elemental golem will appear while any vagrant summon a swaymay,no matter the vagrant is a protag or not…

this party will rock!, if I may advise another Aura instead of L/M (or go for Valy if you want a ranger party)
I tried (successfully) a party with Necro/sorc/ 2 vagrants/ Cernd/ auramaster
Summon army is tremendous (and vagrant NPCs are quite decent fighters, late game you have 3 wonderful axes with stonefire, frostreaver and unyielding)
With my party, IIRC I didn't forge poseidon to keep frostreaver (just forged Dragon Lord for EDE), vagrant inner resist was enough (seldom used pfme) too resist ADHW

You will see end pf chapter 3 what 3 swanmays means on difficult fights...(and against amber golems or Mithril golem those do make a HUGE difference)
chaser
this party will rock!, if I may advise another Aura instead of L/M (or go for Valy if you want a ranger party)
I tried (successfully) a party with Necro/sorc/ 2 vagrants/ Cernd/ auramaster
Summon army is tremendous (and vagrant NPCs are quite decent fighters, late game you have 3 wonderful axes with stonefire, frostreaver and unyielding)
With my party, IIRC I didn't forge poseidon to keep frostreaver (just forged Dragon Lord for EDE), vagrant inner resist was enough (seldom used pfme) too resist ADHW

You will see end pf chapter 3 what 3 swanmays means on difficult fights...(and against amber golems or Mithril golem those do make a HUGE difference)

Thanks for your suggestion~I decide to spend three month to half a year to play through it…Let's see what will happen next… tongue.gif
crharve1
Trying two new parties with mixed results:

Party 1: Nec, 3 Vagrants, Priest of Lathander/Mage Dual and a Auramaster. I got this party to the drow ambush part when it became untenable for me. My priest was useless as a 6 level mage and without a superior damage dealer fights lasted too long for my vagrants to tackle the grunt work of killing the drow. I ended up going back to a save before the dual and just going with a pure cleric build. This proved useful until I came back from the underdark and had to deal with Kruin and some of the +4 weapon requiring foes. However, once I got to Greater Swanmay levels most of the fights became walks in the park. Having an army of Swanmays proved useful in most subsequent fights. Cleaning up the remainder of SOA at this point, but this is becoming quite a bit of a super powered group after an initial hicup.

Party 2: Nec, 2 RBs, 1 Kensai, R/C and 1 C14/M+. This crew has been a great killer throughtout SOA. One vexing thing is that this group didn't get the Extended Mage Stronghold for some reason and no Memory of the apprenti. For some reason the old one's never triggered. I moved onto TOB anyway, and this group has gotten the farthest of any of the groups I have played.

Thanks to this thread for inspiring my teams.
critto
Hi crharve1.

Thanks for the feedback. You should've written earlier about the stronghold. Did this happen on the latest version?
crharve1
Hi Critto,
It's the 6.0 version.

Not something to worry about at this point.

Best
zxcvbnm
Currently playing with an Archer in party.
Added +3 Arrows in Chapter 3.
Piercing arrows price lowered a bit, piercing bonus now bypasses magic resistance, still requires a save.
Added innate ability to lower Missile resistance by 20 points, single target, casting speed of 1, 3 charges for now but I can imagine he will need more later on. The idea is to use one charge per monster.

Party around 1mil XP:
Necro, Sorcerer, B9/C, Cernd, RB and Archer
Surprisingly balanced so far and very fun I might add. Also replaced Cernds Emotion with Holy Power and mastery in Staves, very fun character to play with. Sorcerer is Neera without the Wild Mage kit.

critto
Neera as a sorcerer does not have a wild mage kit IIRC. She only retains special spells because they are needed in her personal quests.
zxcvbnm
QUOTE(zxcvbnm @ Nov 14 2020, 06:53 PM) *
Currently playing with an Archer in party.
Added +3 Arrows in Chapter 3.
Piercing arrows price lowered a bit, piercing bonus now bypasses magic resistance, still requires a save.
Added innate ability to lower Missile resistance by 20 points, single target, casting speed of 1, 3 charges for now but I can imagine he will need more later on. The idea is to use one charge per monster.

Party around 1mil XP:
Necro, Sorcerer, B9/C, Cernd, RB and Archer
Surprisingly balanced so far and very fun I might add. Also replaced Cernds Emotion with Holy Power and mastery in Staves, very fun character to play with. Sorcerer is Neera without the Wild Mage kit.

Lowered the missile resistance to -10 in the end, 6 charges. Lowered +3 arrow prices as well since they go fast. Seems to work fine so far.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.