Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The problem with Improved Anvil
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
rbeverjr
I have become bored with Baldur’s Gate and am taking a break from it for a while. I decided I would play some NWN, yep the older version because there are some highly rated player-created mods that I wanted to try. I find the completely new story lines, better graphics, generally better balanced rule system to be refreshing. (NWN2 is even better in these regards.) Unfortunately, the combat is not challenging, even in those mods that make such claim. I find myself back to inventing things to make the combat more interesting.

I was shocked by the difficulty of Improved Anvil the first time I played it. The problem with Improved Anvil is that once you have adapted to its level of challenge other tactical-RPG games become too easy.

Maybe Sikret will come up with an entire new story and adventure for the old Infinity engine like the modders of NWN do? (I’m guessing he would not do this for NWN or NWN2 because he hates DnD 3.0/3.5.)

Please note this “problem” is just my attempt at irony. I generally love the challenge of Improved Anvil when I’m rested and attentive.
coaster
Have you tried TonyK's AI mods for NWN and NWN2? The campaigns are still too easy with them installed, but they at least makes the enemies a little smarter.
rbeverjr
Yes I use it, and you are right. It's still too easy. I'm trying to adjust the uber equipment the hero is allowed to use in the game and avoid the game smashing pure spell caster. Personally, I think it could use the magical touch of Sikret. smile.gif
Sir-Kill
better graphics

I must have missed them in nwn looked at images on the net for nwn2 and still was not impressed, oblivion had some great graphics but nwn imo were lousy.
Aslyn
I think NWN2 tried to recapture the sheer awesomeness of BG2 using an updated graphics system, and failed miserably.
Sikret
QUOTE(rbeverjr @ May 2 2008, 10:07 PM) *
The problem with Improved Anvil is that once you have adapted to its level of challenge other tactical-RPG games become too easy.

The credit goes mainly to the player himself (=you) who has shown perseverance in improving his tactical skills while playing IA.

Maybe Sikret will come up with an entire new story and adventure for the old Infinity engine like the modders of NWN do? (I’m guessing he would not do this for NWN or NWN2 because he hates DnD 3.0/3.5.)
I don't even have NWN and NWN2 games. I think I should buy them; who knows? Perhaps, I'll like them too.

Please note this “problem” is just my attempt at irony. I generally love the challenge of Improved Anvil when I’m rested and attentive.

Hehe laugh.gif . Thank you.

I'm sure you disappointed some certain people who read your post with the hope that someone might have found a *real* and big problem with IA (deserved to be called "the problem").
Moongaze
The only problem it has is that it makes players too skilled (aka spoiled). happy.gif how evil.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.