Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Comments on Riskbreaker Kit
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Pages: 1, 2
Vuki
QUOTE(Sikret @ Feb 20 2010, 11:08 PM) *
The final description of the kit is this:
- Once the Riskbreaker reaches level 15, each of his successful hits will have 15% chance to apply a random effect picked from the following pool: "Hard Hit" on target (applies 10D6 +5 additional damage), "Risk Increment" on target (applies -4 penalty to AC for 2 rounds), "Avert Risk" (heals the Riskbreaker for 20 hp).

Is there a saving throw against the offensive effects?
thick3
Thx. Looks interesting, can't wait to pair him with a kensai in v6.

I'm thinking something like this for v6:
Necro
Kensai
Riskbreaker
R/C or B/C
Sorceress or Kensai/Mage

Looks good on paper smile.gif
Sikret
QUOTE(Vuki @ Feb 21 2010, 04:19 AM) *
QUOTE(Sikret @ Feb 20 2010, 11:08 PM) *
The final description of the kit is this:
- Once the Riskbreaker reaches level 15, each of his successful hits will have 15% chance to apply a random effect picked from the following pool: "Hard Hit" on target (applies 10D6 +5 additional damage), "Risk Increment" on target (applies -4 penalty to AC for 2 rounds), "Avert Risk" (heals the Riskbreaker for 20 hp).

Is there a saving throw against the offensive effects?

No.
bulian
I wonder how he fares late game when warriors have lots of critical strike HLAs (main weakness in v5 IMO), though that hard hit looks pretty nasty. Inherent 12 AC vs 9-14 AC from armor end game (Red Coral Armor/great wyrm armor) are comparable, so weakness from not having armor is just elemental/magic damage resistance.

I can't decide if chainbreaker is supposed to be an "aww crap, the boss targeted him" ability (resistance + regen) or just for burst damage, though the latter seems a bit weak since you're probably close to 25 str with items around the time you get the ability. Maybe its both. Looks interesting - guess i'll have to try one to find out.

What type of damage is the "hard hit?" It would be great if it changed depending on your weapon type.
Has the casting time of risk decrement changed in v6?
Not related to this thread, but have the auramaster or vagrant kits changed at all?
Sikret
QUOTE(bulian @ Feb 23 2010, 12:34 AM) *
What type of damage is the "hard hit?"

Crushing.

Its casting time is zero in IA v6. The casting time was 1 in one of the previous versions of the mod and there was a bad risk for it to be interrupted by the enemies. However, this is a relatively old change in the kit. I don't remember when exactly we changed it from 1 to zero. IA v5 was released more than 2 years and 3 months ago and we have been working on v6 since that time. To be honest, I don't even correctly remember whether changing the casting time from 1 to zero had been done in v5 or is done in v6. What Was its casting time in v5? Was your question about the same point I mentioned above (i.e. about the enemies' chance to interrupt the Riskbreaker while casting Risk Decrement)?

Not related to this thread, but have the auramaster or vagrant kits changed at all?

Auramaster's "Aura of invulnerablity" has been nerfed; but other than that, no, the kit has remained intact. However, druids in general have access to new spells and HLAs and the Auramaster is no exception.

As for the Vagrant kit, the only change is that they can now proceed to grandmastery in using axes (all other weapon types are still capped at proficient level --2 stars-- as they used to be).
bulian

Its casting time is zero in IA v6. The casting time was 1 in one of the previous versions of the mod and there was a bad risk for it to be interrupted by the enemies. However, this is a relatively old change in the kit. I don't remember when exactly we changed it from 1 to zero. IA v5 was released more than 2 years and 3 months ago and we have been working on v6 since that time. To be honest, I don't even correctly remember whether changing the casting time from 1 to zero had been done in v5 or is done in v6. What Was its casting time in v5? Was your question about the same point I mentioned above (i.e. about the enemies' chance to interrupt the Riskbreaker while casting Risk Decrement)?

Yes, the interruption issues is what I was asking about. Never played a riskbreaker at high levels myself, but I seemed to recall reading it somewhere. Found a reference at post #4 from Nov 2008 (here) that indicates its not 0. Not sure what version was out then, though that was less than 2 years 3 months ago. I think the lesson here is that I spent (no longer!) too much time reading old threads on this forum at one point.
thick3
Any chance to release the new riskbreaker kit as standalone?
Sikret
QUOTE(thick3 @ Feb 23 2010, 03:59 AM) *
Any chance to release the new riskbreaker kit as standalone?

No, the kit would be a bit too powerful if installed alone and out of IA's general atmosphere.
thick3
Hehe thats true. I just started another v5 game with a Riskbreaker, wanted to play the v6 one tho
lroumen
In v5, the casting speed of risk decrement can be a problem if you are truly swamped with foes. It can thus be a problem if your innate is disrupted. I've had it happen a couple of times due to bad timing and you have to rely on mages/clerics to do the rebuffing/healing for you instead.
Problematic, however, I would like to stress that if a mage or cleric is confronted with many foes and s/he has to rebuff, all of the spells have a casting time too, so they are equally prone to interruption. I don't see it as a problem for the mages/clerics, thus it wouldn't be a big problem for the riskbreaker, would it?

Quite a few people seem to be waiting for v6. I've been philosophising many different party setups now too. I think I might still take a riskbreaker along eventhough I am currently playing one already in v5.
Vuki
Innate abilities and spell should work in a different way. Spellcasting can be disturbed but innate ability should not be. IMO
Sikret
In the description of the Risk Decrement ability, we read:

When surrounded by lots of enemies and when most other warriors may fall or surrender in despair, a high level riskbreaker is more than capable to break the risk involved in the toughest situations.

So, the ability is mainly supposed to be successfully and effectively used when surrounded by enemies in tough situations. This can justify why we don't want it to be easily interrupted by the enemies. It's exactly the point of this ability to be usable when enemies are hitting you and the Riskbreaker should be able to activate it at once (casting time = 0).
lroumen
If you put it that way, sure.

QUOTE(Vuki @ Feb 24 2010, 10:55 PM) *
Innate abilities and spell should work in a different way. Spellcasting can be disturbed but innate ability should not be. IMO
That depends on how you look at an innate. If you say it's everything under F12, then many spells that are innates should be streamlined too.
Vuki
In my opinion a fighter HLA is an innate ability. For example Greater Whirlwind or Critical Strike. No magic is involved during the process, they can use it because their great experince in fighting. The same should be true for all non-casters HLAs and special abilities. Of course some spellcaster's abilities could fall also to this category.

My understanding is not related to the game or the game engine itself, it is based on role-play theory.
matti
I agree with Vuki.

QUOTE(lroumen @ Feb 25 2010, 09:32 AM) *
If you put it that way, sure.

QUOTE(Vuki @ Feb 24 2010, 10:55 PM) *
That depends on how you look at an innate. If you say it's everything under F12, then many spells that are innates should be streamlined too.

Yes. All innate abilities (spells, HLA's, etc. - all of them) should be uninterruptible, imo.

If a mage is casting a spell from memory, he/she might be, of course, disrupted. But, if the same spell is cast as a innate ability, casting shouldn't be disrupted in any way (unless the caster is killed during the process).
Kerkes
Riskbreaker's abilities can be interrupted in IA5, which is indeed (imo) not a good way to handle "Risk Decrement" because it is supposed to be used in "high-risk situations" anyway..
As for innate abilities of fighter types such as Hardiness, I don't know. They can be interrupted, but I never managed to interrupt Hardiness cast by the enemy. So, for the sake of non-cheesynes I'd say that abilities should be cast instantly.
This kit really looks very powerful now....makes all fighter classes quite obsolete, at least on paper.
imagine this in vanilla.... tongue.gif
matti
Total overkill in vanilla. I understand Sikret's decision to not realese riskbreaker kit as a standalone. In IA this is an exellent kit, not overpowered at all. At first I was very sceptical about riskbreaker, but I changed my mind completely. Imo, riskbreaker's abilities are better fitting to IA world than for exemple, kensai's abilities. Too bad that enemy is able to interrupt him/her.
Sikret
Warrior HLAs such as Hardiness and GWW already have a casting time of zero. However, Barbarian Rage and Berserker's Enrage have a casting time of 1 and can be interrupted with a good chance by the enemies if the character is engaged in close combat. Do you suggest to change their casting time to zero as well? The only side effect of changing the casting time to zero is that when activating the abilities, you won't see the barbarian (or the berserker) moving his hands as if he is casting something; the (en)rage will be activated at once and you will just see the icon on your character's portrait. Personally, I'm inclined towards changing their casting time to zero as well.
Mjolnir88
For roleplay reasons a barbarian/zerker would be more inclined to rage after being hit. Each hit is just pissing them off even more.

IMO and from a roleplay/"realism" point of view enrage/rage should not be interrubtible.
Kerkes
Hmmm...if hardiness has casting time of 0, and can still be interrupted (and it can) I don't think modifying Enrages would make a significant difference, people usually use it as a pre-buff anyway.
Vuki
QUOTE(Sikret @ Feb 25 2010, 03:55 PM) *
However, Barbarian Rage and Berserker's Enrage have a casting time of 1 and can be interrupted with a good chance by the enemies if the character is engaged in close combat. Do you suggest to change their casting time to zero as well? The only side effect of changing the casting time to zero is that when activating the abilities, you won't see the barbarian (or the berserker) moving his hands as if he is casting something; the (en)rage will be activated at once and you will just see the icon on your character's portrait. Personally, I'm inclined towards changing their casting time to zero as well.

Yes, I agree. I cannot imagine that a Berserker's Enrage / Barbarian Rage can be stopped by a hit. It is not magic at all, it is just the manifestation of their anger.
matti
QUOTE(Kerkes @ Feb 25 2010, 07:42 PM) *
Hmmm...if hardiness has casting time of 0, and can still be interrupted (and it can) I don't think modifying Enrages would make a significant difference, people usually use it as a pre-buff anyway.

Imo, enemy's chance for disruption will be lowered quite significantly with casting time=0. Besides, it would be a really nice little tweak, gameplay and roleplay wise.
blackkensai
QUOTE(Kerkes @ Feb 25 2010, 06:32 PM) *
Riskbreaker's abilities can be interrupted in IA5, which is indeed (imo) not a good way to handle "Risk Decrement" because it is supposed to be used in "high-risk situations" anyway..
As for innate abilities of fighter types such as Hardiness, I don't know. They can be interrupted, but I never managed to interrupt Hardiness cast by the enemy. So, for the sake of non-cheesynes I'd say that abilities should be cast instantly.
This kit really looks very powerful now....makes all fighter classes quite obsolete, at least on paper.
imagine this in vanilla.... tongue.gif

This reminds me of my bad-luck days. Both the hardiness and stoneskin cast by my team members was interrupted by enemies more than once.(loaded the game several times)
During orcs horde battles.
So changing the cast time to 0 just lowers the chance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.