Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vote to choose the new spell's name
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Sikret
As I wrote elsewhere, a new 4th level arcane spell is added to the game which only affects golems. It can be cast on a single golem. It penetrates/bypasses magic resistance and applies unavoidable damage which varies depending on the golem-type. The game's standard golems (except the adamantite and Brain ones) take most damage. Brain, Adamantite, Coin, Gem and Amber golems stand middle regarding the amount of damage they take. Ice golems and Elemental Golems take less damage than others, though it's still considerable compared to the little damage they take from other type of attacks. (Ultra Golems and Supreme Golems are immune and take no damage.)

I want you to cooperate and choose a name for this new spell. The spell's projectile animation is that of a beholder's ray and its icon (spellbook, scroll and memorization icons) is a red colored golem head with a very narrow white vertical line on it (as if it's cracked). Just to help you imagine the icon correctly, remember the ninth level spell "shape Change"? Just imagine the same icon but in red color.

If you have any new suggestion, please write it. You can even vote for one of the existent options in addition to suggesting a new name.
Vardaman
I like 'Sunder Golem' and 'Ray of Fragmentation'.
coaster
I think many of these could imply that the golem is killed outright, eg. "break" and "crush" golem suggests to me that the golem is broken into pieces. Perhaps "fracture golem" is more accurate but doesn't sound very elegant!

I voted for "Ray of Fragmentation" from the current options.

Some other possibles:

"Harm Golem"
"Damage Golem"
"Melf's Golem Gimper" (well, perhaps not...)
Baronius
I think many of these could imply that the golem is killed outright, eg. "break" and "crush" golem suggests to me that the golem is broken into pieces.

I think this is a very good remark. I voted for Ray of Fragmentation. In this case, however, IMO it should cause very very little damage to other creatures as well. Normally, it wouldn't be used for that anyway, but perhaps the fact it bypasses MR would make it usable occasionally. It's realistic, because other creatures (who are not automatons like golems and are made of other material) also have some sort of solid skeleton or backbone. (Unless the spell requires a direct point on the solid material, so even it can't penetrate little skin or flesh.)
Marceror
A couple that I came up with:

-Blight of Constructs
-Constructs' Ruination
Exor

4 lvl ... Crack Golem

8 lvl ... Solidify (like Flesh to Stone)

(a slow golem spell would also be very nifty^^)
Shaitan
I like RoF, that's good. When ingame will they be available?
Clown
I vote for "Melf's Golem Gimper" great name.

Seriously though while the above names are good the joke by coaster got me thinking that using a mage name such as Melf, Mordenkainen etc. might help the spell fit more naturally into the game. Just a thought.
lroumen
When I think of killing a golem, the word "deconstruction" comes to mind.

Ray of Fragmentation sounds good but is it maybe a little bit too much like Disintegrate?
Baronius
Disintegrate results in pure dust, while this one fragments which refers to "bigger" pieces I think.
nataben1314
I also like ray of fragmentation. It conjures up an image of a bolt hitting the golem and causing a big crack or gouge on it, then the tanks hack away at it causing more and more fracturing as more rays bombard it, eventually causing the golem to crumble (die). Very cool!
Sikret
Thanks, everyone!

QUOTE(coaster @ Jul 11 2007, 06:48 PM) *
I think many of these could imply that the golem is killed outright, eg. "break" and "crush" golem suggests to me that the golem is broken into pieces.

Isn't the same true about "Fragmentation"? One of my dictionaries says:

Fragmentation: Separating something into fine particles

Meaningwise, it seems to me that "Pierce Golem" and "Penetrate Golem" both sound very well. The dictionary says:

Verb: Pierce:

1- Cut or make a way through

2- Affect deeply or sharply

Verb: Penetrate:

Pass into or through, often by overcoming resistance

"Dismantle Golem" comes to mind as well, but it has the same implication that the golem is going to be destroyed at once. I'm not saying that "Ray of Fragmentation" is bad. If I believed that it was bad, I wouldn't put it in the poll. I just think that it probably has the same implication that the golem is going to be killed outright. I'm not a native English speaker and I may be wrong about the implications of course. Any comments will be most appreciated.
Marceror
I don't think Ray of Fragmentation necessarily implies that the "entire golem" is separated into fine particles. Merely the part of the golem that gets hit by, and is therefore affected, by the ray.

The same logic applies to several of the other options. Crush Golem, for example, doesn't necessarily mean that the golem is crushed utterly, and therefore, destroyed outright. Perhaps it just crushes some part of the golem -- a portion of its shoulder, part of its chest, etc.

In fact, I don't think a single name listed in the poll necessarily implies that the spell should kill a golem outright.

I think they're all appropriate from that perspective. And it would seem that there's a clear leader in the poll at this point smile.gif

coaster
Yes you are right, although "Fragment Golem" and "Ray of Fragmentation" have slightly different implications. "Fragment Golem" definitely implies you are breaking the golem into pieces. "Ray of Fragmentation" is slightly more ambiguous since there is mention of what you are fragmenting or whether it is successful or not.

The trouble with "pierce" and "penetrate" is that I don't get a feel necessarily that they are causing damage; they are getting through a shield. Of the two I'd suggest "pierce" is better.

A further possible name which has just occurred to me is "Smite Golem". "Smite" is used elsewhere in the game (Smite HLA, Holy Smite) and implies striking the golem in some way (magically or physically) without necessarily destroying it.

Edit: I see I posted at the same time as Marceror; we seem to have a similar overall take on this but slightly different views. The wonderful diversity of the English language, lol tongue.gif
nataben1314
Perhaps a good alternative would be "Ray of Fracturing", implying that you are hurting or cracking the construct without actually destroying it?
(Ø=M)^42
Voted Ray of Fragmentation, but Melf's Golem Gimper makes me smile smile.gif
btw: there are such things as Ultra Golems and Supreme Golems? blink.gif Can't wait for 4.3 to finally try all the new content.

Edited: that would be new content for me, as my first run will start with 4.3
Sikret
Thanks for your votes and comments, everyone! "Ray of Fragmentation" is picked. Topic closed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.