Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suggestions for upcoming releases
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
pekkae
Here's a few suggestions for new Items for upcoming releases. I tried to keep it civil without overflowing things.

And yes, I'm a big fan of improving things as they move along.

The Ecologies of Sikret & Critto - a tome with descriptions of new monsters on IA and how to defeat them
^If the majority of the work related to this is gathering the information. My suggestion is to open a thread on this forum and crowdsource it. I’m happy to write a page myself. I think Dequ opened up a dropbox link already for a monster manual

Magical Keychain
Casts knock 3 times / day).( For thief-less parties )
(Quick-slot item)

Cloak of 6th sense
Find Traps 5x day ( For thief-less parties )
+1 to saves

Enchanted Jansen Techno Gloves
+25 Open locks
+40 Pick pockets
Jansen Techno Gloves
Gloves of pick pocketing
5x potions of master thievery
10,000gold

The Jansen Family heirloom (Gloves)
+ 45 Open locks
+ 40 pick pockets
+ 30 move silently
+ 30 hide in shadows
+ 2 AC
Enchanted Jansen Techno Gloves
Mercykiller Ring
Ring of lock picks
Ring of danger sense
Bracers of defence AC4
2 x Ring of protection +1
25,000gold

Gloves of the Master Thief
AC: 3
Saving throws: +1 bonus
+25% Find traps
+25% Open Locks:
+20% pick pockets
Ring of danger sense
Gloves of pick pocketing
Rick of lock pics
Bracers of defence ac4
Ring of protection +1
40,000gol

Enchanted Wondorous Gloves
Grants the wearer 2 extra 2nd level spells, 2 extra 3rd and 4th level spells, extra 1st and 5th level spell.
+1 thaco
+1 AC
+1 saves
Ring of acuity
Ring of protection +1
25,000 gold

Sorcerian Ring
Grants the wearer 2 extra 2nd level spells, extra 3rd and 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th level spell
+1 AC
+ Saves
Ring of acuity
Reaching Ring
2 x Ring of Protection +1
20,000gp

Tymora's Gift (Belt)
+3 to Luck
+10 Magic resistance

Staff Mace +3
1-handed quarterstaff
proficiency: quarterstaff
1d8 + 3
Thaco +3
Ingredients:
Staff Mace +2
1 Scrolls of enchanted Weapon
Permanency Scroll
20,000gp

The One Handed Wizard
1-handed quarterstaff
1d8 + 4
Thaco +4
+1AC
Ingredients:
Staff Mace +3
Scroll of enchanted Weapon
Ring of protection +1
Permanency scroll
30,000gp

Staff Spear +3
1d8+3
Thaco +3
Damage type: Piercing
Staff Spear +2
Scroll on enchanted weapon
Permanency scroll
30,000gp

Cloak of the living
Strength +1
(random drop somewhere)

Life & Death (cloak)
Strength +1
Constitution +2
If wearer is barbarian/rashemi
+10% chance every hit to enrage to wearer
Cloak of the living
Cloak of the dead
Elven holy water
30,000gp

Ring of Preservation
AC +2
Saving throws+2
Regenerates 1hp/round
Ring of Protection +2
Ring of regenerations

Firetooth +4
2d4+4 + 2d4 fire damage
Thaco: +4
Returns to wielder when thrown
Fire resistance +25%
Firetooth
Boomerang Dagger
Batalista’s passport
Manual of elaboration
60,000gp

*Hide of the Tribesmen* (Hide armour)
AC4 (AC6 against missiles & piercing)
-2 to charisma
-Hide Armour’s thieving skill minuses
If wearer’s class is Rashemi/barbarian (bonus abilities)
+1% resistance to all physical damage

*Armour of the North*
AC3 (AC4 against missiles & piercing),
+15 Resistance to cold
-1 to charisma
-Hide Armour’s thieving skill minuses
requires: 16 strength, 16 con
+2% resistance to all physical damage
Hide of the Tribesmen
Claak of protection +2
Winter Wolf Pelt (there used to be a winter wolf in a cage before beastmaster, where one was previously able to acquire a winter wolf pelt)
15,000 gold

*Incarnated Armour of the North *
AC2
+15 resistance to cold, +15 resistance to acid
-(decreases movement speed by 2, nullifying barbarian advantage in movement speed)
-Disables thieving skills
Requires: 17 strength, 17 con
+3% resistance to all physical damage (if wearer’s class is barbarian)
Armour of the North
Shadow Dragon scales
Permanency scroll
20,000 gold

*Guardian of the Ice Dragon Berserker Lodge*
AC1 (AC -0, against slashing)
+15 resistance to cold, +15 resistance to acid, +15 resistance to fire
-(decreases movement speed by 2, nullifying barbarian advantage in movement speed)
Requires: 18 strength, 18 con.
If wearer’s class is barbarian (bonus abilities)
+4% resistance to all physical damage
5% chance on every hit to enrage the wearer (as per the barbarian innate ability)
Incarnated Armor of the North
Red Dragon Hide (an additional item added to Frikraag’s inventory)
Manual of elaboration
25,000 gold

*Legacy of the Rashemi*
AC0 (AC -2 against slashing & crushing)
+ 15 resistance to cold/acid/fire
Requires: 18.90 strength, 19 con
If wearer’s class is barbarian (bonus abilities)
+5% resistance to all physical damage
10% chance on every hit to enrage the wearer (as per the barbarian innate ability)
Regenerates 2HP per round
+3 To Wisdom
Guardian of the Ice Dragon Berserker Lodge
2 potions of barbarian essence
Spirit of the Tribe (An item added to maze level of WK)
Manual of elaboration
30,000gold

*** and last but not least ***

The Trump Card (a random drop somewhere, usable in quick-item slot)

The inscription of the card says written on capital letters “THIS CARD HAS 200 CHARGES”

Once a high master of the cult “Gobblers Of Pazuzu” created this device. While he had received the rank of “high master” in the cult, the high master’s credentials were in practice non-existent. Such was his shortcoming, that this was the only magical device the high master was able to create, though he had spent his entire life trying to create magical devices. Later on, the high master tried purveying his non-existent results by continuously going on non-coherent ramblings, to anyone who would listen, about how wonderful his item was: “This is a great Item, a wonderful item, the best item. We have done a great job, a marvelous job, a job that might be the best. Such a good job we have done, it has been wonderful”.

A number of user’s of the card later reported, that even though the card was sold to them as having 200 charges in reality there were only 2 charges the high master’s response was that the user’s had been mistaken, did not how to properly use the card, were “bad hombres”, had treated him unfairly and that they were on “a witch hunt to get him” accepting zero responsibility for the shortcomings of his device.

While the defenders of the “high master” in the Faerun press (the “Vulpes Vulpes News” among others) would describe the various beneficial aspects of the device by highlighting that “there’s a good chance a clan spirit appears to fight for the user”, “there’s a chance to make a fortune” or “you might get a positively affecting spell cast on you” In reality, almost everything the device does has a negative or a very negative outcome on the user or the party to such an extent, that any outcome that doesn’t have an adverse effect can be seen as a win.

You have to be desperate, with no other choices really, to play the Trump Card.

A random effect from the following (2 charges):

25% Party loses all gold (if party has less than 10,000 gp)
25% Summons a clan spirit (an intoxicated goblin called “proud boy” with 1 hp under the effect of berserking (it might attack the party)) to “fight” for the user
15% User healed for 2 hp, greater malision & 5 x horror cast on the party
15% Disintegrate on everyone in the area including party members
5% Everyone on the area has their int & wis scores reduced to 3 (can be cured with greater resurrection). Save against Death. (Treated as a 1st level spell). Doesn’t bypass magic resistance.
5% Cure medium wounds cast on the user, -5 to wisdom and -5 to charisma for 50 game hours on the user (non dispel-able, non curable)
4% A random useless item added to user’s inventory (worn out boos, skull, history of the north book, 1 bullet)
3% User gets the spell “infravision” cast on him/her
2% The whole party goes into panic
1% if the party has more than 500.000gp, party gains 10.000gp
pekkae
Suggestion for a new kit. (Yes, I really like Minsc)

Rashemi Warrior (The Northern Barbarian)

- Cannot dual class
- Cannot place any proficiency points in 1-handed weapons
- Cannot place any proficiency points in two-weapon style, one-handed weapon style or sword and shield style
- Cannot wear metallic armours, armour choices restricted to hide armours
- Cannot use any missile weapons
- Cannot use shields
- Doesn’t receive fighter’s normal 0,5 APR bonus on level 13
- Receives -1 to Intelliigence & Charisma
- Human, Half-elf and Half-orc only

- Hit die D12
- Receives +1 to Constitution & Wisdom
- Receives +2 to movement speed (like the barbarian)
- Gains “enrage” (like the barbarian)
- Receives +4% resistance to physical damage every 5 levels (so 4% at 5th level, 8% at 10th level)
- Gains +1 To hit every 6 levels (so +1 at level 6, +2 at level 12)
- Gains 0.5 APR bonuses on 7th, 15th and 24th level.
- Gains +1 to speed factor and critical hit range every 13 levels starting from level 13

^ I tried to calculate it so, that this char would lose to a Berserker 1vs1 all the time when below level 10. When between levels 10-20 it’s about even. After level 20 the advantage goes to the Rashemi.
critto
Wow, that's a lot of stuff to process. I'll give some brief comments, don't have the time for detailed analysis.

0. The general issue with all the new items is coming up with custom graphics. While I don't doubt SparrowJacek's skill which he has lent on numerous occasions already to make the mod feel more unique, I wouldn't want to burden him to come up with so many new art pieces.

1. Items for thieves look OK but I feel that they will be as underappreciated as the older, already existing stuff, especially considering that "no traps & locks" is readily available.

2. The 1-handed quarterstaffs, do they even have practical use? I'm not sure I get it at the moment. Many of the already existing recipes for +2/+3 items are pretty useless as well, unless it's an intermediate ingredient on the way to a higher tier recipe.

3. The barbarian armours look conceptually nice as Minsc's custom-tailored stuff. I'm not entirely sure that if "class is A then B" is possible so it might be easier to make this Minsc-only. By the way, the next version will feature a custom new armour for barbarians.

4. And regarding the "the last but not least" item, it looks like a very involved procedure for a thing that has no practical purpose within the game for the player except to serve as a sort of satirical statement (if I deduced its meaning correctly from the name). While I appreciate the Pratchett-esque humour in its description, I don't feel it has the place within the mod for two reasons: 1) I don't feel like I want to make any statements; 2) I don't have much time to spend on implementation of things that do not contribute to the gameplay in any manner.

5. Regarding the kit. Definitely looks doable. A couple of things jump to my eyes immediately. 1) the amount of benefits seem to outweigh the amount of losses. 2) I'm not sure the APR bonus is customizable, but I'm probably remembering the vanilla game, and EE has made this stuff moddable through the 2da tables.

No promises that any of this makes into v7. I've committed not to add any new stuff except what I have already planned in order to release the damn thing already.
pekkae
QUOTE(critto @ Jan 18 2021, 03:22 PM) *
Wow, that's a lot of stuff to process. I'll give some brief comments, don't have the time for detailed analysis.

0. The general issue with all the new items is coming up with custom graphics. While I don't doubt SparrowJacek's skill which he has lent on numerous occasions already to make the mod feel more unique, I wouldn't want to burden him to come up with so many new art pieces.

1. Items for thieves look OK but I feel that they will be as underappreciated as the older, already existing stuff, especially considering that "no traps & locks" is readily available.

2. The 1-handed quarterstaffs, do they even have practical use? I'm not sure I get it at the moment. Many of the already existing recipes for +2/+3 items are pretty useless as well, unless it's an intermediate ingredient on the way to a higher tier recipe.

3. The barbarian armours look conceptually nice as Minsc's custom-tailored stuff. I'm not entirely sure that if "class is A then B" is possible so it might be easier to make this Minsc-only. By the way, the next version will feature a custom new armour for barbarians.

4. And regarding the "the last but not least" item, it looks like a very involved procedure for a thing that has no practical purpose within the game for the player except to serve as a sort of satirical statement (if I deduced its meaning correctly from the name). While I appreciate the Pratchett-esque humour in its description, I don't feel it has the place within the mod for two reasons: 1) I don't feel like I want to make any statements; 2) I don't have much time to spend on implementation of things that do not contribute to the gameplay in any manner.

5. Regarding the kit. Definitely looks doable. A couple of things jump to my eyes immediately. 1) the amount of benefits seem to outweigh the amount of losses. 2) I'm not sure the APR bonus is customizable, but I'm probably remembering the vanilla game, and EE has made this stuff moddable through the 2da tables.

No promises that any of this makes into v7. I've committed not to add any new stuff except what I have already planned in order to release the damn thing already.

Thanks for the reply! I thought I'd post these here, as suggestions, to take into consideration. Almost all of the items posted I wished I had during gameplay.

Graphics> As some of those Items are from the Item Pack I have installed, maybe the providers of those item packs could lend out the graphics? I'm happy to ask, if needed.

The 1-handed quarterstaff is almost a custom thing for a Berserker->Druid. It would allow the char to have 5* in quarterstaff while having a working weapon (for most enemies until chapter 6/7 at least) and wear a shield off-hand for those few cases where having a very low AC is really, really needed.

I copied to "if A then B" concept from the 2H sword that had some barbarian specific benefits on it (Dragon Blade +3), but of course I'm not sure if the changes I proposed are doable / easy. "Last but not least" item is a concept I had a lot of fun writing and since I wrote it with the other items I thought I'd just post it.

Kit is probably overpowered and needs balancing. The idea was to make a melee oriented (Conan the) barbarian that specializes in 2H weapons & whose abilities keep on developing.
critto
Graphics> As some of those Items are from the Item Pack I have installed, maybe the providers of those item packs could lend out the graphics? I'm happy to ask, if needed.
I'll have to think about this.

The 1-handed quarterstaff is almost a custom thing for a Berserker->Druid. It would allow the char to have 5* in quarterstaff while having a working weapon (for most enemies until chapter 6/7 at least) and wear a shield off-hand for those few cases where having a very low AC is really, really needed.

Definitely an interesting use case, I'll consider this.

I copied to "if A then B" concept from the 2H sword that had some barbarian specific benefits on it (Dragon Blade +3), but of course I'm not sure if the changes I proposed are doable / easy. "Last but not least" item is a concept I had a lot of fun writing and since I wrote it with the other items I thought I'd just post it.
I know there are now opcodes that have conditional logic but I don't remember what are their restrictions. If it's not possible then the only other way is to restrict items to specific classes.

Kit is probably overpowered and needs balancing. The idea was to make a melee oriented (Conan the) barbarian that specializes in 2H weapons & whose abilities keep on developing.

Isn't it sort of what barbarian does already? I am all for giving Minsc a custom kit, but this one needs more work definitely. The majority of disadvantages either aren't meaningful or already part of the barbarian kit. And advantages are significantly better. More APR, to-hit, crits and DR by mid-to-end game (when these parameters matter the most). Definitely needs more thinking.
pekkae
QUOTE(critto @ Jan 18 2021, 07:29 PM) *
I'll have to think about this.

Definitely an interesting use case, I'll consider this.

Also no additional graphics needed, as the current is more than adequate. (Well, maybe tone the color slightly but that's it.)

Isn't it sort of what barbarian does already? I am all for giving Minsc a custom kit, but this one needs more work definitely. The majority of disadvantages either aren't meaningful or already part of the barbarian kit. And advantages are significantly better. More APR, to-hit, crits and DR by mid-to-end game (when these parameters matter the most). Definitely needs more thinking.

Well, sort of. One thing added to disadvantages could be reductions to HLA's, say gains 2 HLA's every three levels. I'm of course not sure if that's possible.

Personally the Kensai (also known as "will hit anything & on every strike") is my favorite fighter, because the advantages keep on developing and by 40th level Kensai will have and insane hit & damage advantage, that will blow away all other character choices in the game.

So I would love to see those advantages with this type of Kit. If the armour choices are reduced to hide armour's, it's a big disadvantage even if the game does provide a nice Hide armour, only because you are essentially restricted to that specific armour.

And of course if you give up a lot in the beginning it should be compensated somehow (i.e. weaker in the beginning, stronger in the end).

Anyway, thanks for taking these into consideration.
lroumen
QUOTE(critto @ Jan 18 2021, 04:22 PM) *
I would remove the +2 crafting altogether. There is always something better to craft than those and but the time your want the +3, you already found the +2s. And otherwise I would propose to add 1-2 more versions of the +2 to chapter 2 across the challenging questlines. It would clean up the dialogue quite a bit.

That or order the dialogue a bit more?
critto
That's something that I was contemplating, yes.
Badgerlad
QUOTE(pekkae @ Jan 18 2021, 04:21 PM) *
Suggestion for a new kit. (Yes, I really like Minsc)

Rashemi Warrior (The Northern Barbarian)

- Cannot dual class
- Cannot place any proficiency points in 1-handed weapons
- Cannot place any proficiency points in two-weapon style, one-handed weapon style or sword and shield style
- Cannot wear metallic armours, armour choices restricted to hide armours
- Cannot use any missile weapons
- Cannot use shields
- Doesn’t receive fighter’s normal 0,5 APR bonus on level 13
- Receives -1 to Intelliigence & Charisma
- Human, Half-elf and Half-orc only

- Hit die D12
- Receives +1 to Constitution & Wisdom
- Receives +2 to movement speed (like the barbarian)
- Gains “enrage” (like the barbarian)
- Receives +4% resistance to physical damage every 5 levels (so 4% at 5th level, 8% at 10th level)
- Gains +1 To hit every 6 levels (so +1 at level 6, +2 at level 12)
- Gains 0.5 APR bonuses on 7th, 15th and 24th level.
- Gains +1 to speed factor and critical hit range every 13 levels starting from level 13

^ I tried to calculate it so, that this char would lose to a Berserker 1vs1 all the time when below level 10. When between levels 10-20 it’s about even. After level 20 the advantage goes to the Rashemi.

I love the idea of giving Minsc a customized kit. Just some random (it truly IS, random) input that came straight through my mind reading you there, especially lorewise :

Dunno how "northern" Rashemen are in comparison to Uthgarts and Spine of the World's barbarian tribes, but some Resistance to Cold seems fair enough, and not broken overall (immunity at some level ? meh, that might be broken)

I'd take into account the bodyguard's function of Minsc regarding her late wychlaran, and maybe consider some % resistance to magic damage on higher level, since Rashemen society kinda relies on said wychlarans. All in all, a barbarian even closer than usual to shamanic stuff.

"Receives -1 to Intelliigence & Charisma" : makes sense to me, a rashemi berserker is not supposed to need it if he travels with his wychlaran. Yet, ain't like it matters much on a melee character anyway, so it's hardly a disadvantage.

" Receives +1 to Constitution & Wisdom" : seems to me like Boo has something to do with what we could remotely call "wisdom" when it comes to Minsc. What about working something around in the HLA around a telthor (rashemi animal spirit) oriented thing ? Summoning, bonus stat or w/e. Yet, I feel like it makes no sense to make Boo magical in any way, his point if for us not to know I guess.

"- Receives +4% resistance to physical damage every 5 levels (so 4% at 5th level, 8% at 10th level) " : too strong imo for all the offensive advantages he already gets. Maybe that could be reduced so he's "half a barbarian" from damage resistance point of view. Maybe making it half physical/half magical resistance would fit the shamanic perspective of a rashemi better, still leaving him a bit behind a vanilla barbarian.

Could some "on kill" mechanics get introduced to the game, to get a "cleave" feeling as in the feat from 3+ edition ? Maybe something like an HLA that allows the Rashemi warrior to be granted Whirlwind for 1 round each time he kills a target ? Would need to be an HLA, way too strong for the early game, but later on, enemies are so tough it could be quite... okayish. Dunno about it.

"- Gains 0.5 APR bonuses on 7th, 15th and 24th level.
- Gains +1 to speed factor and critical hit range every 13 levels starting from level 13" might be a little strong, even more than most fighter kits while keeping all the bonuses of a barbarian. What about simply making Minsc able to achieve Mastery (not GrandMastery) in two-handers ? Much like a dwarven defender for axes/hammers. I mean, Jaheira can get *** and still iron skin herself ! : p Not mentionning the extra APR, which could be a decent mechanic to introduce some "frenzy" into Minsc. Hence, as a clickie rather than innate stuff.

All in all, the Protector kit from IA seems, simply by the name, to be really fitting Minsc in my opinion. How could it be tweaked to make it more barbarish, yet, keepin the "assist" part of the kit ?

All this makes me wanna think of a Red Wizard kit to make someone shine again !
SparrowJacek
Sorry for spoiling your fun with my grumpy comment, but... Actually, I'm kinda against the introduction of new kits at the moment. IA as it is right now is severely unbalanced, what's the point of vanilla kits if there's nobody to use them?

It's intesting, that all fighter kits have some uses (though some more than others), but IA-reworked Swashbuckler is the only viable option for a thief. Clerics are good only as dual/multi and only madmen take bards to their parties. All wizards are at least OK, but non-IA duids and rangers aren't used.

Ss for Edwin, he's still not a bad choice, though he lacks 2 most important things
- an amulet which would give him + casting speed (his very own item is good, but since you can't swap it with another one, it lacks flexibility)
- abiity to cast that awesome spel which gives + 1 casting speed,
so he's capped at +2 casting speed at the moment. But don't worry, IAv7 will introduce some really clever and fun mecnanic for Shaman, which Critto has already implemented and tested, and it can be extended a bit to make Edwin a really nice addition to the party if we proceed with my idea of his custom item upgrade smile.gif
critto
Yes, the shaman class has been reworked to some extension, but playtesting will show if it viable in practice. Hopefully, it is.

As for the rest, I am kind of on board with Jacek about new kits, I too would love to see more action for vanilla kits. It's hard to come up with kits that are uniquely interesting and not just a re-iteration of the same powerful mechanics served under different sauce, and we simply don't have workforce to implement and test those changes extensively.
Badgerlad
QUOTE(SparrowJacek @ Mar 29 2021, 07:37 PM) *
Clerics are good only as dual/multi and only madmen take bards to their parties. All wizards are at least OK, but non-IA duids and rangers aren't used.

If single class clerics were to have access to some kind of stone/iron-skins, wouldn't that make em remotely viable ? I mean, Viconia has some decent tanking potential, if you put aside her HP pool. Too bad she's evil for a ranger dual kind of thing.

QUOTE(SparrowJacek @ Mar 29 2021, 07:37 PM) *
But don't worry, IAv7 will introduce some really clever and fun mecnanic for Shaman, which Critto has already implemented and tested, and it can be extended a bit to make Edwin a really nice addition to the party if we proceed with my idea of his custom item upgrade smile.gif

That sounds awesome !

Anyway, I might be getting off-topic here, can't wait to see what you guys been working on !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.