Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Beginners random Q&A with observations & stories
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
pekkae
Hi Everyone!

*Contains spolers*

First of all, thank you Sikret & Critto for the great mod. The BG trilogy was my favorite game 20 years ago and still is, though I had almost a 20yr gap on playing the game. This is the best mod I have ever had for this game. It's essentially a new game. It is also easily the most challenging mod (majority of the mods for BG2 don't really add to challenge, they make challenges easier). For a player like me, whose biggest fun in the game used to be going to WK with a very low-level party and beating all of the battles, this adds a supreme & thorough layer to the game. Once you take your quite plain and low level party to WK and beat everything, the rest of the game is quite *meh*.

The dull thing about the **vanilla game** used to be getting ultra-powerful & ultra-powerful stuff but having near-zero challenges with them (I already killed the Demogorgon, a dragon last for less than two rounds against me but now you want me to help you find your missing kittens). This mod does a great job of addressing just that, adding difficult to ultra-difficult battles throughout. Also, because how it's set-up you need to essentially revamp your whole approach to spellcasting. So finally I found uses for so many spells that originally were completely useless (i.e. enchanted weapon).

I've played the game through a number of times with different characters & combinations. Originally my favorite character used to be the plain ranger/cleric, which was back when the series was released quite an overlooked character (message boards raved about the Kensai/mage). It's nice to see that combination getting love here and it looks like it's still a relevant character in IA smile.gif. My favorite character along with the dualled R/C were the Berserker/Mage dual and ofc the plain C/M, an amazing ultra-powerful combination.

IA changes things quite a lot.

It's the first time I started the game and played through "druid grove" and rested for 3-4 times. I had to be well prepared for almost every encounter, even with spiders. Also, this mod does an amazing job of tying up loose ends throughout the game completing the stories and adding another layer on them altogether.

The frustrating part in IA comes from stuff working by "new rules" instead of the ones you are used to, whether it's the characters and how they develop or changes in rules / spells that block your prepared character from reaching the heights they could in the vanilla game. Below a few examples.

I started this game with about the most powerful combination of characters I could think of (based on my exp with the vanilla game), but I had to make so-so-so many adjustments along the way.

Original crew:

Protagonist: Necromancer
Minsc
Berserker (lv 10) -> Druid (I use Jaheira for this with Jaheira's stats)
Cleric/Mage (I use Viconia for this, with a tweaked INT)
Fighter/Thief (I use Hexxat for this, with Hexxat's stats)

=> in the vanilla game, this crew can quite easily tackle all of the challenges if developed properly. It's super powerful. It also is diverse enough to make good use of the most powerful equipment in the game. In the vanilla, Protagonist would have probably been the F/T and the Necro would have been replaced with Edwin, because you know, the amulet, but fundamentally something like that. Eventually, the C/M becomes the most powerful member of the crew.

After reaching level 10 with Berserker I dualled -> paid the fee and jumped to chapter 3 immediately going from level 1 to level 7/8 with the Druid part of my dual class. This broke my game as I just didn't have enough punch to go through well, pretty much anything. My front line was made of paper and a crew of a few spiders was a huge challenge -> I had no chance against a single (gem) golem.

After some tinkering I made a few changes and alterations and revamped my crew:

Minsc
F/D (so almost 1:1 to the original Jaheira)
Cleric/Mage
Fighter/Thief
Kensai

I had a lot of troubles with this crew and most of the battles were extremely difficult. In a game where lagging a single level is sometimes crucial to your success (with the most apparent example being after your mage can cast 6th level spells it opens up a variety of new battles for you) -> I understood that my crew is heavily lagging behind but was clinging on t the hope that eventually they would be super powerful.

So I hopped along, killing a few enemies here, a few enemies there - it took me 3 different visits to finish half of the first floor of WK. Everything was moving along as planned. I finished the beginner's parts (they weren't easy) and become the hero of Trademeet, met the mimic, crushed Pebblecrushers, cleared the sewers, did the mundane stuff, freed Hendak & went through slavers (that battle was amazing and took about an hour or so), got Flail of the Ages and moved to spellhold because I had read a few warnings that you should go there quite early (I was at 1,5mexp)

Perth the adept cost an arm and a leg, for it required too many scrolls of Ruby Ray of reversal for my budget, as I couldn't even cast 7th level spells at the time.

Halfway through the maze, I realized that the fighter/thief I was dragging along wan't going to make it. I wasn't using the thief parts of the character, it was just dragging down the development of the fighter side without adding anything to the mix (traps don't work, hiding in shadows is useless -> backstabbing doesn't give you any meaningful edge, detect illusions is nice but so is true sights). So I knew I had to make changes again and get rid of the thief but I didn't want to go thiefless. It's not a good realization to have when in the spellhold maze, and no NPC's around that can fix it. Had I been in Athlathla, I would have most likely gone with Jan but an additional problem is that the pieces in the crew support one another so one change causes a number of other changes.

Eventually, I found a solution I really liked with an unlikely combination. My F/T became a Swashbuckler (lv 3) -> Fighter. Put all point in the only semi-useful skill in "find traps". Essentially you are missing some hit points for the first 3 levels, but they are nicely compensated with having access to thief-specific gear (adding diversity) and the Swashbucklers powerful melee enhancing special abilities. This character works very well. So halfway through spellhold my crew was:

Minsc
F/D
Cleric/Mage
Swashbuckler (lv 3.) -> Fighter
Kensai

I clear out the maze, spellhold, where I run into a fight I can't win in Mithril Golem. I search the forums and have a look at the various journals and find out that my most advanced characters are about 3-4 levels behind the characters people on the journals here on this site are describing. It's frustrating. There isn't anything I can do about that, so I end up skipping the fight. So in addition to dragging along a few late-blossoming characters my most advanced characters are way-way behind where they should be.

I manage though. Irenicus is only manageable because I exploit the terrain to my advantage. Otherwise, my crew would be toast, no chance.

However, after that things ease a bit. Sahugin's are manageable, so is Underdark and I'm beginning to beat some battles with the first try, a rarity with IA improved encounters. There are a few notable exceptions to that in the elemental golem in the beholder lair, the master brain, and the Dracolich. Every one of those being a 45-60 minute battle with every single action planned and optimized. Auto-pause full on. 5 different tries.

I trudge through and make it to the surface, the crew is nearing 3mexp. Then I meet Kruin.

I try this battle 10 times, with different approaches. I can annihilate everyone else (besides Kruin) before they materialize, which leaves me with elemental golems & Kruin. This I could manage somehow, I can whack one golem to "near death" with having enough to take care of both Kruin & the other golem but then they start spawning the gem's and coin's. There is no way my crew can make it. My C/M doesn't even have access 7th level mage spells. I had been clinging to the hope that one day when this character get "simulacrum" it will be marvelous, but you know, that spell doesn't even exist in the game anymore. No warrior HLA's, no nothing. No Cromwell upgrades because Cromwell is unavailable before Kruin is cleared.

So I'm screwed.

So I go back to the drawing board to revamp the crew to make final changes (I'm hoping to finish the game with this). We dump the C/M which causes another change since we are severely lacking in priest spells.

Final crew:

Minsc
Kensai
Fighter (lv. 9) -> Druid (because I need a full priest)
Berserker (lv. 13) -> Mage
Swashbuckler (lv 3.) -> Fighter

The Fighter -> Druid gets the nod over Ranger / Cleric because the F/D has access to much more diverse weapons (access to slashing / piercing / crushing) and a number of great items (e.g. paws the furious cat).

I trudge along Fearun and finish of everything I can think of, get the exp and gain HLA's for warriors and Improved Alacricity for Necro (a few great items from Samia also are a big help). Then meet up with Kruin.
pekkae
A few random notes / questions, some of these have probably been addressed (if so, sorry for double posting).

- Links in academy of tactics do not work for the majority of the linked articles.

- From my experience with spellhold, it would be nice to have a warning on going to Spellhold with too low of a level (it makes it nigh-impossible).

- It would be great to have a few tomes in the game with help on how to defeat a certain type of monster (like the Elminister - books in WK).

- Paws of the furious cat do not work on a dual-classed Fighter -> Druid. They probably should.

- It would be great to make the "eternal melody" armor available to all fighter / mage types. There's no nice gear for that (quite popular I would assume) character.

- Haer'Dalis could be revamped into a F/M from the Blade. They are from the same family any way.

- Kruin fight could be made optional, instead of forced (because of Cromwell)

- Priest's should probably get a bonus to casting time with high levels? Maybe add a -1 / -2 to casting time for those items clerics get on high levels or so?

->

A ews questions starting with "how to dispel protections":

1) I've run into many encounters where I can't dispel combat / spell protection(s)?

- Rakshasa's keep casting absolute immunities on themselves, non breachable?
- Liches can't be breached?
- Dracolich was rather dull fight, because there it had an undispellable PfMW on it and I couldn't get it off no matter what I did
- some mage's like Kaol (Samia's party) can be targetted after he starts casting spells but I can't remove his spell / combat protections?

-> it makes these fights sort of dull. For example the lich in the bridge district -> We walk in. Lick launches triggers / contingency, we stand in the corner and use summons while drinking healing potions & potions of regeneration. Necro tries RRoR, Pierce shiled & spellstrike. Lich is immune to everything we have. When PfMW / absolute immunity runs out, Minsc pats Lich on head with Heaven & Earth and lich dies.

2) Monster types

Is there something specific, like piercing weapons for coin golems, that work against elemental golems?

Thanks for the help!
SparrowJacek
- Rakshasa's keep casting absolute immunities on themselves, non breachable? - Rakshasas are immune to spells with level 1-7 - that's vanilla
- Liches can't be breached? - immune to spells 1-5, I think that's vanilla
- Dracolich was rather dull fight, because there it had an undispellable PfMW on it and I couldn't get it off no matter what I did - it's a high level caster so it's almost impossible to dispel him + he's a lich so immune to 1-5
- some mage's like Kaol (Samia's party) can be targetted after he starts casting spells but I can't remove his spell / combat protections? - I don't remember, but mages in IA usually cast 2 types of protection - SI:divination + Improved invisibility and then you can't cast any direct spells on them (though you can dispel them with dispel/remove magic if you are of high enough level) or SI:Abjuration and then you have to cast some Ruby Rays of Reversal (usually 3) to peel their protections

Is there something specific, like piercing weapons for coin golems, that work against elemental golems? - all melee damage works on them(they have 80 or 90% damage reduction), you just have to pound them till they're dead
critto
Hi!

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you're enjoying the mod after all these years.

Yes, diving into IA is very tough. There's a section of the readme for the new players that gives some hints designed to help flatten that learning curve. I definitely recommend to read it unless you're really intent on trying everything for yourself.

- Links in academy of tactics do not work for the majority of the linked articles.
Which articles interest you specifically? Those are fairly old, but I might have them saved somewhere on my HDD.

- From my experience with spellhold, it would be nice to have a warning on going to Spellhold with too low of a level (it makes it nigh-impossible).

I think the "adventures" part of the readme has a note on recommended XP level for Spellhold.

- It would be great to have a few tomes in the game with help on how to defeat a certain type of monster (like the Elminister - books in WK).
This is a curious idea if somewhat time consuming compared to the amount of new players who stumble upon the mod.

- Paws of the furious cat do not work on a dual-classed Fighter -> Druid. They probably should.

You have the latest version, right? I'm fairly sure that I've dealt with this issue, but it might have been a design decision, not a bug.

- Haer'Dalis could be revamped into a F/M from the Blade. They are from the same family any way.
A long time ago, there were plans to rebalance the bard class so nothing has been done here. It is possible to add this as an option to the "alternative NPC classes" component of IA Tweaks.

- Kruin fight could be made optional, instead of forced (because of Cromwell)

Yes, as I've mentioned in a separate thread, I'll consider this.

- Priest's should probably get a bonus to casting time with high levels? Maybe add a -1 / -2 to casting time for those items clerics get on high levels or so?
Maybe. Same as bards, priests are one of those classes that were expected to get a revamp before active development of the mod has ceased.

- Dracolich was rather dull fight, because there it had an undispellable PfMW on it and I couldn't get it off no matter what I did

I did some work recently to reduce the "grindingness" of certain fights, maybe Dracolich deserves this sort of attention as well.
pekkae
Thank you for the reply!

I'm not sure how individual quotations work on this forum so I'll just copy-paste.

"Thanks for the feedback. Glad you're enjoying the mod after all these years."
-> I'm super happy I stumbled upon this!

"Yes, diving into IA is very tough. There's a section of the readme for the new players that gives some hints designed to help flatten that learning curve. I definitely recommend to read it unless you're really intent on trying everything for yourself."
-> If by readme you are referring to this: http://www.blackwyrmlair.net/Mods/Readme/ia/new_player.html I know it inside and out wink.gif!

"Which articles interest you specifically? Those are fairly old, but I might have them saved somewhere on my HDD."
-> The following are unavailable (links do not work)
from: http://forums.blackwyrmlair.net/index.php?showtopic=4067
Cheat_and_Cheap_By_Sikret.pdf
EDE_V5_By_Kerkes.pdf

"I think the "adventures" part of the readme has a note on recommended XP level for Spellhold."
-> "recommended quest order" states a number of quests to take before heading to spellhold. I did exactly as described + a few more (e.g. hexxat's & rasaad's quests).

"This is a curious idea if somewhat time consuming compared to the amount of new players who stumble upon the mod."
-> I thought that all of the monsters were addressed here on this forum somewhere, so it would be mostly copy-paste. I'd use this forum for that purpose (reading about the hostiles) but the search function just returns threads and is not that useful when looking for specific's (what's the vulnerability of an elemental golem) because a thread might have 60 pages. I'm not that big of a fan of "finding things out for myself", the fights are hard even when you know what works against what. I would think it reduces "frustration" at least for a player like me. That's my humble opinion.

"You have the latest version, right? I'm fairly sure that I've dealt with this issue, but it might have been a design decision, not a bug."
-> Version 6.5 it says.

"I did some work recently to reduce the "grindingness" of certain fights, maybe Dracolich deserves this sort of attention as well."
Thanks for the work put into this. I can't speak for everyone but for myself, I think this sort of fights are a bit dull with monsters / mages which you can't hurt until after their protections run out. Case in point: I cleared Samia. Everyone else was dead, mage remains of hostiles. Tried the following:

3x RRoR -> breach
Dispel magic and remove magic -> pierce magic -> Spellstrike -> Breach
Secret word -> pierce magic -> spellstrike -> breach
(and so on)

and nothing. (Maybe I'm doing something wrong) So we stand in the next room, send in summons until mage runs out of spells & scrolls and then pat him on the head with Heaven & Earth.
pekkae
QUOTE(SparrowJacek @ Dec 17 2020, 04:08 PM) *
- Rakshasa's keep casting absolute immunities on themselves, non breachable? - Rakshasas are immune to spells with level 1-7 - that's vanilla
- Liches can't be breached? - immune to spells 1-5, I think that's vanilla
- Dracolich was rather dull fight, because there it had an undispellable PfMW on it and I couldn't get it off no matter what I did - it's a high level caster so it's almost impossible to dispel him + he's a lich so immune to 1-5
- some mage's like Kaol (Samia's party) can be targetted after he starts casting spells but I can't remove his spell / combat protections? - I don't remember, but mages in IA usually cast 2 types of protection - SI:divination + Improved invisibility and then you can't cast any direct spells on them (though you can dispel them with dispel/remove magic if you are of high enough level) or SI:Abjuration and then you have to cast some Ruby Rays of Reversal (usually 3) to peel their protections

Is there something specific, like piercing weapons for coin golems, that work against elemental golems?

- all melee damage works on them(they have 80 or 90% damage reduction), you just have to pound them till they're dead

Thank you for the reply!

So the technique I've been using is the one that works. Good smile.gif!
critto
I'm not sure how individual quotations work on this forum so I'll just copy-paste.
You can just use the "quote" BB-code on individual phrases.

Cheat_and_Cheap_By_Sikret.pdf
EDE_V5_By_Kerkes.pdf

Sorry, couldn't find those. I'll see if I have it backed up somewhere.

-> "recommended quest order" states a number of quests to take before heading to spellhold. I did exactly as described + a few more (e.g. hexxat's & rasaad's quests).
I meant this section of the readme: http://www.blackwyrmlair.net/Mods/Readme/ia/adventures.html There's a section about Spellhold. But it is probably not the easiest one to find.

-> I thought that all of the monsters were addressed here on this forum somewhere, so it would be mostly copy-paste. I'd use this forum for that purpose (reading about the hostiles) but the search function just returns threads and is not that useful when looking for specific's (what's the vulnerability of an elemental golem) because a thread might have 60 pages. I'm not that big of a fan of "finding things out for myself", the fights are hard even when you know what works against what. I would think it reduces "frustration" at least for a player like me. That's my humble opinion.

You can select "show result as posts" when setting up a search form so that you see the preview of the search results later. Otherwise, this looks like a large project. There's indeed a lot of information, but it needs better presentation to be put into the game. I'll add this to a list of considerations but I doubt it'll have high priority.

-> Version 6.5 it says.
OK, I'll re-check.

and nothing. (Maybe I'm doing something wrong)

I'd have to check this myself, but there are indeed fights where you have to wait out. I'll probably take a closer look myself when I re-play the mod to test v7 in the upcoming year.

lappen
hey guys,

sometimes he refreshes his spell immunity, so u have to check the log for that,

the rrr always burns the highest spell protection first so check the protections.

lroumen
I kind of agree that some battles are annoying if pfmw goes down on natural immune creatures ((immune to unenchanted) and you cannot hurt or try to dispel the enemy for 4 rounds, and then the next pfmw tunes in. Basically you are left to staying alive for 4 rounds summoning or buffing yourself to trick the Al into trying to debuff you all the time such that the pfmw runs out rather than attaching.

Also, v7 next year sounds awesome
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.