Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: github
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
bulian
Critto, I saw you posted the Improved Anvil link on github at the pinned link - great news! For those of us who have never modded before, can you provide some brief instructions about how to go about making modifications to the files? For example, it seems that sometimes patching codes are used to ensure compatibility and other times files are just completely overwritten.
critto
Hi bulian.

Regarding how to use git & github. It might be better to refer to some existing guide on the internet describing the basics of using git, how to clone a repo, manipulate it and post merge requests to a github repository. Since you're probably on windows, people usually an visual client like TortoiseGit which integrates itself into Windows' file browser. The core idea is to clone a repository, create a branch of changes and post a request to merge changes from this local branch into the primary repository located on github (this is what is called a merge request). This would allow me to review the changes, amend them if needed and apply to the master branch. This is the overall approach, the rest is better figured out by doing, it would be more productive to advise on a specific issue you might encounter.

As for how to perform these changes, overall I try to do things by patching rather than overwriting. However, all resources introduced by the mod (file names for these always have "S!" in the beginning) are edited completely. Also, there are many vanilla resources that are overwritten as a part of legacy approach employed by the mod since long ago. This is something we just have to live with and do things the old way when it is necessary.
bulian
Thanks, I'll loosely interpret your post as "do your best to not screw anything up and I'll make sure what you do doesn't screw up the mod"

You had mentioned a long to do list - perhaps if you posted it some here might help.
critto
I'll try to add it to the repository soon-ish
Azazello
QUOTE(bulian @ Apr 3 2019, 08:54 PM) *
Critto, I saw you posted the Improved Anvil link on github at the pinned link - great news! For those of us who have never modded before, can you provide some brief instructions about how to go about making modifications to the files? For example, it seems that sometimes patching codes are used to ensure compatibility and other times files are just completely overwritten.

There's a guide on G3, that might be helpful:
https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/2...git-and-github/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.