Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: first run of IA in EE
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
rbeverjr
I think I will run a party of 6 as recommended with a (1) vagrant protagonist, (2) sorcerer, (3) thief-wizard dual (Nalia) or wizard, (4) kensai (using 2H weapons), and (5) Cernd, auramaster. My question is about the sixth slot. I am thinking either a berserker 13-cleric dual or a riskbreaker. Which do you advise and why?
Second question. If I recall, Ease-of-Use has a component to get rid of locks and traps. I am thinking about using that. Would that be OK?
critto
Depends on your playstyle. If you want more priest magic, go with the dual. Or you can take Jaheira for flavour, Avenger is a fun kit right now. You call also try Minsc, Rasaad, Mazzy or Korgan if you need a dedicated fighter, all of them are a solid picks. Mazzy might be tad more difficult to use effectively, her kit is not so obviously super-powered as the others. Personally, I'd take another fighter in your party, since you already have three dedicated casters. RB or Valygar is the most powerful choice since they are capable to survive on their own and also bring some healing support to the party, in latter case.
rbeverjr
Weimar did not like my Steam BG2 EE install. I could not get it to work. So, I used the G3 Tweak Anthology. I made a very minimalistic install. It looks like IA has some options in the install that I never saw before! (I've been around since IA3.) Does anyone know if this install will cause problems?

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1160 // Multiple Strongholds (Baldurdash) -> No Restrictions (Baldurdash): v8
~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2151 // Wear Multiple Protection Items -> No Restrictions: v8
~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3040 // Make Bags of Holding Bottomless: v8
~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3060 // Remove "You Must Gather Your Party..." Sound (Weimer): v8
~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3080 // Increase Ammo Stack Size -> Unlimited Ammo Stacking: v8
~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3090 // Increase Gem and Jewelry Stacking -> Unlimited Gem and Jewelry Stacking: v8
~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3100 // Increase Potion Stacking -> Unlimited Potion Stacking: v8
~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3110 // Increase Scroll Stacking -> Unlimited Scroll Stacking: v8
~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3121 // Happy Patch (Party NPCs do not complain about reputation) -> NPCs Can Be Angry About Reputation but Never Leave (Salk): v8
~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3123 // NPCs Don't Fight: v8
~SKIPCHATEAUIRENICUS/SETUP-SKIPCHATEAUIRENICUS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Skip Chateau Irenicus: 3.0
~SKIPCHATEAUIRENICUS/SETUP-SKIPCHATEAUIRENICUS.TP2~ #0 #102 // Deal with skipped NPCs -> All available NPCs: 3.0
~IMPROVEDANVIL/SETUP-IMPROVEDANVIL.TP2~ #0 #0 // Improved Anvil: v6.3
~IMPROVEDANVIL/SETUP-IMPROVEDANVIL.TP2~ #0 #1 // The Four: a set of extra combat challenges for IA: v6.3
~IMPROVEDANVIL/SETUP-IMPROVEDANVIL.TP2~ #0 #2 // NPCs will not complain about reputation and leave: v6.3
~IMPROVEDANVIL/SETUP-IMPROVEDANVIL.TP2~ #0 #3 // Identify all items: v6.3

I've decided to use a risk breaker in the sixth slot. I'll be doing a lot of babysitting of my melee guys at the start. From past experience, I know the vagrant can tank somewhat with the right equipment (ToB); the risk breaker can take care of himself for the most part at high level (ToB); and the kensai will try to be on the second rank with the 2H weapon. The risk breaker is the swingman too. He'll sit out while I do NPC quests.
critto
Weimar did not like my Steam BG2 EE install.

You need to use a more modern weidu executable (the one shipped with IA, for instance). But you setup should probably work fine as well.

Riskbreaker is a solid choice. Very powerful.
bulian
The risk breaker is the swingman too. He'll sit out while I do NPC quests.

Just a warning - I don't think you're able to get custom NPCs to sit out of quests in IA. They tend to say farewell and then leave forever. Nalia (after her quest) and Cernd should be relatively content to wait around. Neera is a bit better than a custom sorceror and also has some fun (or annoying) quests. She'll also happily wait for you.
rbeverjr
Multiple strongholds worked.
Wear multiple protection items worked.
Bag of Holding is NOT bottomless.
Don't particularly care about the other stuff.

I expect my riskbreaker will wait. I probably will know tomorrow.
bulian
Curious to hear about your luck with the Riskbreaker. Even with the "Allow Multi-Player Created NPCs to "Wait Here" When Kicked Out" from an old version of Ease of Use mod (see below) I still see the behavior I described above.

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Infinite Weapon, Potion and Ring/Amulet Stacking
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #4 // Shut Up "You Must Gather Your Party Before Venturing Forth"
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #5 // Faster Chapter 1&2 Cut-Scenes and Dreams (Karzak, Blucher) (SEE WARNINGS)
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #6 // Wear Magical Armor AND Magic Rings (etc.)
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #11 // Allow Multi-Player Created NPCs to "Wait Here" When Kicked Out
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #13 // Unlimited Bag of Holding (Blucher)
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #14 // Multiple Strongholds (Baldurdash)
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #17 // No Drow Avatars On Party In Underdark
~IMPROVEDANVIL/SETUP-IMPROVEDANVIL.TP2~ #0 #0 // Improved Anvil: v6.3
~IMPROVEDANVIL/SETUP-IMPROVEDANVIL.TP2~ #0 #1 // The Four: a set of extra combat challenges for IA: v6.3
~IMPROVEDANVIL/SETUP-IMPROVEDANVIL.TP2~ #0 #2 // NPCs will not complain about reputation and leave: v6.3
~IMPROVEDANVIL/SETUP-IMPROVEDANVIL.TP2~ #0 #3 // Identify all items: v6.3
~TOD/SETUP-TOD.TP2~ #0 #0 // Tower Of Deception Mod (Requires Throne Of Bhaal)
~TOD/SETUP-TOD.TP2~ #0 #1 // Improved Astral Shard Guardian
~TOD/SETUP-TOD.TP2~ #0 #2 // Encounter with Ustrain
~SETUP-DUNGEONBEGONE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Dungeon Be Gone V1.6
critto
I think IA patches over with its own implementation of custom npcs' behaviour.
rbeverjr
Stacking did not work either. Apparently, G3 Tweaks is largely incompatible with IA. As I got the two most important things to me (multiple strongholds and stacking protections), I will continue this game. However, I suggest adding to the installation readme specifics about using the latest Weidu to install Weimer's Ease.

I appreciate the strategy element that IA requires. However, I also try to keep a role-playing element as much as I can. Nalia is my thief-wizard. It makes sense that she would want her problem solved soon. It also makes sense that she would not want to leave the keep with her problem not completely solved. However, I find Tor-Gal to be very challenging with my L9 vagrant party...

I have noticed that there have been some changes with the latest edition (of course). At one time, there was a file describing an advised path to begin your adventure in IA, as well as recommended minimum levels for particular battles. Is there a similar file for IA 6.4 that you can point me towards?

Thank you.
critto
No, there isn't such file, except for the thread here on the forum which is largely still applies. As for Nalia, timelines for her quest were updated to allow more waiting time. You don't need to finish the whole quest, you have to start doing it. Cleaning up the hold except for Torgal area is doable with 10-11 level chars.
bulian
Check some of the journals if you want to see detailed paths. Here is a high level map that might be helpful. Encounters on the same line are approximately the same difficulty.

level 8-9 Faldorn/Nilthiri/Suna Seni
level 9-11 Fallen paladins/Beastmaster/Maevar/NPC quests/PaiNa
level 10-12 Mencar/Lilarcor/Unseeing Eye/Bodhi/Slavers/Royal crypt/(Tower of Deception)
level 11-13 Torgal/Pirates/Belm&Ashideena spiders/Chaos/Founder
level 12-14 Gaius/Planar prison/Umar hills/Fiirkraag's dungeon
level 13-14 Planar sphere/Samia

Depart for Spellhold by 2,200,000 XP AND before PC gains level 15. If using a mage, don't level up to 15. There may be some more XP you can squeak out but this is safe.

Save for Ch6 - Fiirkraag/Teshal/Illithid lair/Troll mound/Watcher's Keep level 2 (I always save WK level 1 as well)
rbeverjr
Thanks critto and bullian. That's basically what I needed. Once I'm on my way to spellhold things became easier in the past - but for some of the special IA encounters, of course. I plan on taking the ranger stronghold before going to spellhold. Unless things have been made harder, I should be able to do so even if I have to lower difficulty. My protagonist is a ranger and I'm too stubborn at roleplaying to leave that stronghold until later. smile.gif
bulian
There is a Ch7 ranger quest for which you'll have to wait. Hard nut to crack is content locked for Ch 6.

I'll be super impressed if you get through the available IA ranger quests before spellhold. Shimmering light is probably doable, but Grandfather of assassins (requires Fiirkraag and Vanya's first quest) and good/bad/ugly seem impossible.

Just curious - how did leaving the riskbreaker work for you?
bulian
There is a Ch7 ranger quest for which you'll have to wait. Hard nut to crack is content locked for Ch 6.

I'll be super impressed if you get through the available IA ranger quests before spellhold. Shimmering light is probably doable, but Grandfather of assassins (requires Fiirkraag and Vanya's first quest) and good/bad/ugly seem impossible.

Just curious - how did leaving the riskbreaker work for you?
rbeverjr
Ha bulian! I'm not that ambitious nor nearly that good. I'm talking about taking out the Shadow Lord and Shadow Dragon in the temple ruins, so I become the ranger of Umar Hills. The other stuff will have to wait for more levels.
rbeverjr
I reinstalled. The first time I clicked on the "Setup-Ease.exe" it didn't say it installed but seemed to hang. Apparently what happened was it was being updated to the latest Weidu. I closed the window and clicked again, and this time it installed.
Although not on the installation list, I include the "No traps and locks" component. Frankly, if I want to play a thief, I prefer to do so in my heavily modded SCS game. Maybe I will try a high-level thief dual in TOB... The game is actually more enjoyable to me when I do NOT have to deal with the traps and locks. Well, the mod didn't work, or at least Traps were in Hexxat's first dungeon. So, I used the same component (and only component) from G3 Tweaks Anthology after IA. I discovered no traps in Mae'Var! However, I went back to an old save, and there are still traps in Hexxat's dungeon! Maybe G3 didn't help after all. Maybe this mod (whether in Ease of Use or Tweak Anthology) only removes traps from the original content and not the added Expanded Edition content. Can anyone confirm?

Regardless, I am remembering IA now. I want greater restoration - then I noticed that in EE it doesn't work like it used to in BG2 (single target rather than party). Still, more healing may come in handy. The thief-mage goes and the all acclaimed R7-cleric is in. Now personally, I think it is wrong that the R7-cleric has druid spells; however, compared to the characters that one can play in IA and the opposition you have in IA, I think having druid spells is just fine. So, I added the fix to the Lua file. I'm also considering a barbarian instead of the kensai. I get a more reliable defense in exchange for offensive power. I'm not sure whether the kensai or berserker is optimal.

I added Tower of Deception to help make up for some of the XP that I will lose for not having a thief disarm traps.
psychlopes
if you install no traps or locks then the fanatic fighters ( can not remember the name exactly ) that spawn after taking the candle and bell in level 1 Watchers keep will not spawn but if I remember correctly you will still lose the bell and candle making the quest unsolvable.
there is another quest that will be affected by this but I cannot remember it ( probably the greater genie in the under dark, not sure)
critto
Can anyone confirm?

This is the most probable scenario, yes.
rbeverjr
QUOTE(psychlopes @ Feb 17 2019, 01:39 AM) *
if you install no traps or locks then the fanatic fighters ( can not remember the name exactly ) that spawn after taking the candle and bell in level 1 Watchers keep will not spawn but if I remember correctly you will still lose the bell and candle making the quest unsolvable.
there is another quest that will be affected by this but I cannot remember it ( probably the greater genie in the under dark, not sure)

Thanks for the heads up. I will consider what I want to do about this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.