Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shar-Teel quest
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Never Ending Journey
matti
All right. Started the quest in Copper Coronet. Go to Windspear, take Garren quest, talk to Drebin and Firkraag then I found the thief (oh boy, what a smartass he is) and now:

1) Is there even option to actually kill him?
2) No matter which dialog choices I made, Shar-Teel will always get royaly pissed off and leave.

wtf?
Senka
1. No
2. Life is not fair at all. Just take it...
matti
My fav NPC! bigcry.gif
What if I just ctrl+Y him before his speech?

well, another question: When Melora approched me in Promenade I didn't let her join. Let me guess, she is nowhere to be foundr?
Senka
As I remember, in one of early version you can keep her in party if you are male. But I don't know how this problem solved now.
Let me guess, she is nowhere to be found?

Unfortunately yes.
I said Vlad already about this problem
matti
I think about a couple of possibilities:

1) I am doing something wrong (choosing too timid dialog options or something like that) only pissing her off even more. laugh.gif
2) Quest is unfinished or ends abruptly (rushed).

Option 1) seems unlikely. Option 2) I can understand: Shar-Teel was already pissed off by Firkraag (she was actually pretty pissed from the start!) and further disturbed and extremely annoyed by her father's past shenanigans (but also pretty curious). She is natural (disaster) and brutally honest but she is also chaotic evil and all her actions and dialogs are pretty accurate illustration of her chaotic evil nature. The thief who is capable of stealing from a powerfurl creature like Firkraag actually is a real smartass and has a backup plan, I get it. The end of her quest is not evil but is totally chaotic and also sadly totally anticlimatic. sad.gif Well, whatever, good bye Shar-Teel, my tortured soul.
"Life is made fun by crushing your innards". laugh.gif
Vlad
Matti, I understand your frustration. laugh.gif

Well, actually, in the earlier versions, there was an option to reason with her and let her stay in the group. I'm going to enable this option back now for the final release. Hopefully, this will make you and others happy. laugh.gif

But, there will be several issues connected to that. She has no banters and ending in ToB, she has no interjections in the advanced chapters, no interjections even on major events (tree of life, fighting Irenicus in Hell etc etc).

If you would like to add these interjections and some banters and ToB ending, I'll be happy to add them to the game. Please let me know.

Regarding Melora and Taffic, this is exactly the same problem. I don't have written material for them past their quests and ToB. If someone write for them, I'll enable their continuation till the end of ToB.
Sergio1992
So I've been doing this quest. I'm really really conflicted about it.

Shar-teel is a well characterized character and her dialogues are on point. Because of that, I was really really curious about her quest. When I met Firkraag I was surprised by what he told Shar and I wanted to delve deeper into the madness of what I’ve been reading.

When you reach Firkraag, he asks you to retrieve
SPOILER!
the items back for his hoard and promises you a juicy reward for doing so. He also tells you that if you come back without having found them he will treat your arrival as aggression and will turn hostile on you

But when you find the thief
SPOILER!
you got two chance:
1) you pay him 5k and he will tell you “take the accursed items”
2) or you can tell him you won’t pay and then he flees, not before telling you that he is going to sell the items to better customers.

If you choose option 1) Sharteel is not totally satisfied by your behaviour given that you’ve payed while you could have extracted the payment and items from his hide. But you are not getting any items!

if you choose option 2) Sharteel gets mad at you but you can pacify her.

Either way, if you go to Firkraag
a) he has no reaction
cool.gif you cannot tell him what has transpired with the thief
c) you cannot taunt him with the words of the thief

So...

> am I missing anything?
> am I wrong or you won't be getting any items no matter which dialogue options you choose?
> from what I've been reading here Sharteel was supposed to quit on you. So, provided she survive, do you get any interjections for a) advanced chapters, cool.gif interjections even on major events (tree of life, fighting Irenicus in Hell etc etc)?
Senka
am I missing anything?
No
am I wrong or you won't be getting any items no matter which dialogue options you choose?

Yes
am I wrong or you won't be getting any items no matter which dialogue options you choose?
Not obviously
So, provided she survive, do you get any interjections for a) advanced chapters, cool.gif interjections even on major events (tree of life, fighting Irenicus in Hell etc etc)?

Unfortunately, no dialogues for her...
Sergio1992
I don't mind about Shar-teel not being able to get the items. What I find weird is that the way the quest is currently set it has no pay-off.
1) If the guy tells you that he is going to give you items (see: https://ibb.co/1J7BbVk), you should either

a) receive them
b ) being insulted by Sharteel for having been cheated provided that you payed him
c) have a way to actually receive these items.
If option c) won't be considered, at least make the dialogues reflect option a) and B ).
When I was said that I got the items and Sharteel didn’t turn berserk on me (as the other options make it happen) I thought that a bug was involved considering I had no items in my backpack.

2) I understand perfectly Sharteel turning on you, but I’m not sure I agree at all with her reasoning and simply turning berserk because you lost these items. I mean, it’s not like you have given the player the chance to foresight what was going to happen and that’s why the guy above made the topic on how to save her and I’m here asking questions.

3) The fact that you can go back to Firkraag and he says nothing is really underwhelming. He should either taunt you or Sharteel. In fact the escape of the guy could have been a ruse to make Sharteel even more frustrated at him. The scenery could play like that:

..you receive junk from the guy
..Sharteel turns mad at the guy and then guts him
.....you go back to Firkraag only to realise he toyed with Sharteel and it was all a ruse
....... there is no escape, Sharteel wants blood and want it now
.......... make sharteel die while facing Firkraag?
..... W/e

4) The bad part is that the way Sharteel is currently set you’d better have it for NEJ 1 and then drop her right after Firkraag. I don’t think this is a rewarding path for the player. Especially because there are no more interactions from her and the player wouldn’t know that if not by asking here for informations.

5) The even worst part is that everyone here acts as if it was original content... I mean, Sharteel has good banters, Firkraag has good banters. But the way the quest is currently set makes the player think that the quest was interrupted abruptly.
Vlad
Right to the last point: the quest was interrupted abruptly. This is TRUE.

But you missed the option that Esmond is just cheating. He is not going to give you anything. His only attempt is to extract your money and escape. We discussed this with Jan (Larriene) from the very beginning. There is no reward and no items of Firkraag. Therefore, Sharteel must go. It is a bad idea to preserve her in the group. When she's gone, Firkraag has nothing to discuss and him ignoring this is natural. Also he is supposed to attack you if you stands in his lair too long.
Sergio1992
QUOTE(Vlad @ Oct 10 2019, 02:33 PM) *
Right to the last point: the quest was interrupted abruptly. This is TRUE.

But you missed the option that Esmond is just cheating. He is not going to give you anything. His only attempt is to extract your money and escape. We discussed this with Jan (Larriene) from the very beginning. There is no reward and no items of Firkraag. Therefore, Sharteel must go. It is a bad idea to preserve her in the group. When she's gone, Firkraag has nothing to discuss and him ignoring this is natural. Also he is supposed to attack you if you stands in his lair too long.

Okay I got it. And I agree with your line of reasoning. But...

I don't agree with the possibility of being able to pacify her. I would just make her go berserk with no coming back.

Also my point of "When she's gone, Firkraag has nothing to discuss and him ignoring this is natural." but that's not clear, especially because when you kill Firkraag, Sharteel has a dialogue concerning him right after.
Vlad
I don't agree with the possibility of being able to pacify her. I would just make her go berserk with no coming back.
We don't kill our beloved NPCs tongue.gif

Also my point of "When she's gone, Firkraag has nothing to discuss and him ignoring this is natural." but that's not clear, especially because when you kill Firkraag, Sharteel has a dialogue concerning him right after.

Okay, now I understand what you mean. So, the original version before I started amending it myself in response to gamer' requests was to either kill Firkraag first (then her dialogue is justified) and then to cross Esmond and after that she leaves no matter the reasoning, or first meet Esmond, loose Shar-Teel and then confront Firkraag. In any scenario, she's trying to throw a fireball into you, but you succeed to pacify her and she leaves. This is how it is supposed to be. I'll probably need to revert to the original version, thereby only leaving frustration for gamers but no questions whatsoever. laugh.gif
Vlad
Okay, I'm closing back this option in the final dialogue with her:

"You are my most valuable companion... and trustful friend. There’s so much we passed together, and you have always bravely fought at my side. Please don't leave me now."

smile.gif
Sergio1992
QUOTE(Vlad @ Oct 10 2019, 03:04 PM) *
Okay, I'm closing back this option in the final dialogue with her:

"You are my most valuable companion... and trustful friend. There’s so much we passed together, and you have always bravely fought at my side. Please don't leave me now."

smile.gif

Endorsed change.
Senka
Yes, I see this right. Firk is lying to you, she ... it seems like this legacy never exists. This is all a lie ...
Sergio1992
QUOTE(Senka @ Oct 10 2019, 03:24 PM) *
Yes, I see this right. Firk is lying to you, she ... it seems like this legacy never exists. This is all a lie ...

Would it be a bad idea to find Shar-teel body near Firkraag when you kill him?
Vlad
Require some additional scripting, but I like the idea. thumb.gif
Senka
Wuuuuuuu (((((
Sergio1992
QUOTE(Vlad @ Oct 10 2019, 03:42 PM) *
Require some additional scripting, but I like the idea. thumb.gif

I guess, but all in all I don't think it would be that great, considering that the body of Sharteel appearing there would make sense only if you kill Firkraag after trying to find the cache; the bonus is that it would surely silence some doubts in the player mind.

tongue.gif
Vlad
"JUST LET HER GO" laugh.gif
Sergio1992
In the hints topic, Vlad mentions that in the second part of Nej she has Sharteel as a companion.

Does Sharteel have content for all of Nej?
Senka

Unfortunately no
I wrote for her in KR but in Spellhold and NEJ3 she will silent
Sergio1992
QUOTE(Senka @ Oct 10 2019, 10:12 PM) *

Unfortunately no
I wrote for her in KR but in Spellhold and NEJ3 she will silent

So she should have content for Halruaa. Interesting.
Senka
Yes.
Her line just not complete. Unfortunately.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.