Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: About Demogorgon
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
HTRT
Hi ! It's been quite a while...

I just wanted to say that I tried the improved Demogorgon battle and I truly liked it. I was amazed at the amount of work put into giving the fight a sense of authentic demonic terror. Putting these unique followers into play was great and made this fight both spectacular and unique. I heard "death my scepter and pain my crown" quite a few times and it felt great.

I was surprised to see such generous loot and after all why not !

It's a great fight addition to the mod and really a success in my opinion.

In my game, additional reward to each party member didn't apply to my protagonist. I got the ring and 6 blessings texts, but only 5 effective blessings on everyone but the protagonist. Being a Vagrant, I think protagonist was supposed to get increased critical hit chance but didn't get it.

As for the fight itself, if you guys are opened to suggestions, I would say keep rozvankee as powerful as he (she!?) is, considerably reduce the staying power of vargouilles (both regeneration and resistances) and make more of them spawn, finally increase the power of Demogorgon himself, particulary with a decent regeneration, more damage and better self preservation in general.

I did some testing with the fight after (finally !) winning it and found out every opponent is vulnerable to the polymorph other effect (except demo and rozvankee because the spell is level 4). This doesn't change their avatar, but reduces their hp to 1/30 so it basically kills them. This is probably unintended.

Good job smile.gif It's great to see this mod is still going !
critto
Hi!

I am really glad that you liked it, we did indeed put quite a lot of work into that one!

I don't remember off-hand but I think that we've decided to omit blessings for some of the protagonist classes, mostly because they are already very powerful. But I can agree that this might require a bit more transparency for a player to understand what has happened.

Thanks for feedback and suggestions, we plan to do some tuning of the fight for the next release, we'll take them into account.

No, there was never conscious consideration of effects of the Polymorph spell, we'll check it out.

Cheers,
critto
bulian
Congratulations, HTRT, on your victory!

I also think the Demogorgon fight is fantastic. Compared to EDE, what I really like about it is that its obvious quite quickly whether you have a chance in the fight, so you don't have to invest 2+ hours micromanaging your characters only to lose to a dragon's breath that you missed. To be honest, I rarely complete the EDE fight due to its length.

With respect to the blessings, one could make an argument that if your party can beat Demo, the prince doesn't stand a chance - so buffing the PC would have a minimal impact on game balance. In any case, the permanent buffs are also a really cool mechanic - well done!
critto
Getting back to this after some time, still had it on my todo list.

In my game, additional reward to each party member didn't apply to my protagonist. I got the ring and 6 blessings texts, but only 5 effective blessings on everyone but the protagonist. Being a Vagrant, I think protagonist was supposed to get increased critical hit chance but didn't get it.
Actually, the vagrant and necro protagonists shouldn't receive rewards the reasoning being they are already quite powerful :-) There shouldn't be a specific blessing text for the either. Are you sure there was one? (I know it's was quite a long time ago, but just in case)

I did some testing with the fight after (finally !) winning it and found out every opponent is vulnerable to the polymorph other effect (except demo and rozvankee because the spell is level 4). This doesn't change their avatar, but reduces their hp to 1/30 so it basically kills them. This is probably unintended.

This will be fixed.
leozoroaster
QUOTE(bulian @ Nov 18 2016, 12:34 PM) *
Congratulations, HTRT, on your victory!

I also think the Demogorgon fight is fantastic. Compared to EDE, what I really like about it is that its obvious quite quickly whether you have a chance in the fight, so you don't have to invest 2+ hours micromanaging your characters only to lose to a dragon's breath that you missed. To be honest, I rarely complete the EDE fight due to its length.

With respect to the blessings, one could make an argument that if your party can beat Demo, the prince doesn't stand a chance - so buffing the PC would have a minimal impact on game balance. In any case, the permanent buffs are also a really cool mechanic - well done!

Can't agree more, EDE is way too long and fighting against (invulnarable but stupid) golems and prince is really boring, especially when playing nec as protagonist. On the contrary, Demogorgon fight requires player to find different weaknesses of the 6 bosses, and take down them as quick as possible. With proper tactics, a nec-protagonist can take down Bell, Kargoth and Rozvankee himself, meanwhile fighters with non-magical weapons can take down Nulonga, both in one round. Really exciting! After 6.2 I never played EDE and always replace it with Demogorgon as the final fight.
critto
EDE is somewhat toned down (in terms of pure length of encounter) in the current build, based on the feedback from this very thread. Hopefully, when the next version is out, you'll be able to enjoy it once more.
Azoth
“...in the current build...“ means 6.3 ?
critto
The one that is in progress right now, not yet published.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.