Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: a few suggestions for IA
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
katage
I'm new to the forums and IA, but I have a few ideas that might work. First, I should start with the things I think should probably be added, in keeping with the spirit of the mod.

Since Sikret has expressed distaste for commonly used cheats, a cheat being defined as an exploit of the game's engine that a DM would not allow in PnP, I want to call attention to the "cast-and-attack" trick. This is illegal in PnP and makes little sense from the perspective of realism. Fighting and casting spells both require extensive time to perform under the pressure of combat. It also works to the distinct benefit of fighter dual- and multi-classes, at the relative expense of single-classes, though I've gotten the impression that single-classes in IA are more viable overall, at least compared to multi-classes. Casting spells and attacking should therefore be disabled in IA if possible, and if it is not possible, a simple reminder to the player in the readme or one of the in-game hints would call attention to the matter.
I realize that the trick is popular, and I myself am very fond of it, but it makes sense in the context of IA.

Second, I'd like to criticize PFMW as a tanking spell. Many creatures in IA appear to lack normal weapons and hence have few options when dealing with characters with PFMW. The only way to counteract it is Breach and RRoR if necessary, which not all enemies should probably have and which seems a tad monotonous. The spell effectively makes the caster the perfect tank against any enemy fighter type for four rounds, giving the caster a great deal of time to cast spells in safety. Preventing the caster from casting it more than once every few rounds (maybe 2 turns, so it could not be chained) would make it less overpowered. Absolute Immunity has a similar problem, though arguably it is less overpowered, being a 9th level spell.
Other spells also would be better balanced by weakening them. Reducing the strength of some resistance spells (Protection from Fire, Protection from Magical Energy) would make item or Vagrant resistances less redundant, and give the player a reason to memorize Protection from Fire rather than, for example, Flame Arrow. Lightning Bolt also seems rather overpowered, though few seem to use it. Many areas in IA have close quarters and it is easy to get lightning bolts to bounce correctly and hit an enemy four or five times: the player can just fire the bolt directly north or south. In the vanilla game, I've found Wands of Lightning and Lightning Bolt spells to be more than capable of dealing with almost any enemy, and they still enjoy an advantage over Flame Arrow in many situations in IA, even if they are not as strong. Mirror Image and Stoneskin also are considerably more valuable than most spells: there is little reason to memorize Blur or Teleport Field instead. Feeblemind is another example, effectively being a low-level Finger of Death that bypasses Death Ward. Making the duration temporary and/or tweaking its effects (IWD2 just removed spellcasting for 2 turns) would make Hold Monster a more viable alternative. Offering a higher- or lower-level Breach equivalent would make other 5th-level spells more worth memorizing (how often does anyone use Shadow Door or Domination?). Emotion's excessively high duration also gives it a great advantage over other disablers. There is little reason to use Hold Monster or even Chaos when one has access to Emotion.
At the same time, other spells receive nerfs that make them nearly useless for many important encounters in IA. With enemy MR and its save bonus and low duration, Glitterdust has few uses in IA. Generally, I think a broader variety of useful spells would be suited to a tactical mod.

I think we should consider re-introducing (Minor) Spell Deflection and Minor Spell Turning. Currently the player has few spell protections at his or her disposal. Creating some Transmutation spells to replace them would also work, and have the additional benefit of balancing mages, since transmuters miss out on so many excellent abjuration spells. Arguably, these spells give the player an unacceptably strong defense against enemy spells, requiring fewer spell slots than Improved Invisibility+SI, but the enemy would also be able to counter them with spells aside from RRoR, if we also included some lower-level debuffers that IA overwrites. Making Pierce Magic and even Secret Word or Spell Thrust more practical would balance mages versus sorcerors by making a broader variety of spells more valuable.
I think it is important that we make a broad variety of spells useful. A tactician would naturally want to be familiar with many different methods, and I understand that the tactician ideal is a big thing for IA players here. Extra options can help give more color to the game and make some battles less monotonous. I have found it unfortunate that the strategy for dealing with mages in IA usually boiled down to RRoR, True Seeing, Breach, and Chain Lightning. In IA, Wizard Slayers, Insect Plague, Silence 15' Radius, Miscast Magic, backstabs, or even simply using a Fireball to interrupt a spell, are all of very little value. Such strategies are just not worth pursuing in IA considering the strength of RRoR, True Seeing, Breach, and Chain Lightning, and I think it would be nice if those tactics were useful at least in some situations.
Other times, I've found spells to be useful only in very specific, unique circumstances. I was delighted to find that Animate Dead was useful before level 15 in dealing with the rats in the Lilarcor quest, but unfortunately, that spell had little use elsewhere, and so I never bothered to memorize it.

There are other spells that IA overwrites that could be reintroduced without damaging game balance or weakening difficulty. Otiluke's Resilient Sphere could be weakened by offering a saving throw bonus and lasting several rounds less than the vanilla version, which would give the player another tool to deal with enemies that was not overly powerful. In vanilla BG2, ORI was much like a Maze spell with a saving throw. Project Image could be modified to either prevent the image from casting spells or drain the caster's spells when the image did cast spells. This might be difficult to implement, however.
One might argue that reintroducing these spells would either require increasing the number of spells overall--preventing the sorceror from picking all of them--or require overwriting useful new IA spells. This could be avoided by replacing less-commonly used spells such as contagion, which few players (I assume) bother using anyway.

Moving on to IA-specific changes, I would call attention to IA kits' hefty advantages to other builds. The Auramaster has essentially every advantage over other druids. It suffers in melee power and HP, but then, druids aren't there for dealing melee damage anyway (none of them are very good at it), and the Auramaster's Mirror Image and extra castings of Wondrous Recall, Ironskin, and other buffs make it a much better tank than the other classes. Its disadvantages are much smaller than its advantages. A druid is there for spellcasting, and the Auramaster is simply better at spellcasting. Its access to RRoR even makes it a strong alternative to a mage--a significant leap for a divine spellcaster. There is therefore little reason, from a tactical perspective, to pick an Avenger or Shapeshifter over an Auramaster.
Much the same holds for the Vagrant and Riskbreaker, along with vanilla kits such as the Swashbuckler and Necromancer. Their advantages appear to more than outweigh their disadvantages relative to other kits, making other kits more or less pointless. There is a reason why IA players tend to use IA kits or classes which have access to IA-only items. If we are to even keep the other kits, it would make sense to strengthen them or replace them with more sensible alternatives to the Vagrant et al.
Much the same holds for IA-modified and IA-introduced items. It seems that much of IA character advancement is focused on, or even dependent on, the player collecting ingredients for Cromwell. They give the player something to go after, but they are so strong that it punishes players who want to stick with vanilla weapons. I realize that IA is very much a new game, but making IA items less overwhelmingly superior to vanilla items would open up some new opportunities for players, which fits the point of a tactical mod.
IA also lets SI block the thief's detect illusions ability. As I understand it, the rationale is twofold: first, the ability in vanilla BG2 is overpowered, as it gives a low-level the ability to dispel any mage's illusion spells, no matter how skilled that mage may be. Second, SI's blocking the ability is justified because it blocks divination "tools" and not simply spells. I have two objections. First, detect illusions can be nerfed without rendering it incapable of helping the party deal with mages using SI:Divination, and all mages in IA who use Improved Invisibility--the most troublesome illusion spell in IA, I think--always use it with SI:Divination, which makes the detect illusions ability mostly useless against important IA enemies. To weaken it without rendering it more or less useless, we could edit the 2da file for racial thief bonuses to give all races a -150 penalty to detect illusions. So, in order to get detect illusions to work well, the player would have to expend 10 thief levels, 250 points, on detect illusions, which I think would be an acceptable sacrifice. We also might give the detect illusions ability a certain chance to fail, even if the thief's skill is 100.
The ban on traps is also limiting. The objection, as I understand it, is that the enemy cannot set traps to harm the player, since the player already knows where all the traps are and can disable all of them, though I believe the dispel magic trap in the drow ambush is an exception. I would advocate instead that the enemy gain spell-like abilities that would mimic player traps. That way, the enemy could have thieves do something besides backstabbing, adding some variety, and it could justify giving the player another tool without giving the player a simultaneous and unreasonable advantage against all enemies. Traps can be fun, and they are one of the reasons thieves are actually useful in BG2. With many enemies in IA immune to backstabbing, the thief often has little utility in combat unless it is a Swashbuckler. Time Traps might still be better off being disabled, or at least weakened, for the sake of balance.
Adding some content for protagonists besides Vagrants, good fighters, Necromancers, Swashbucklers etc. would also balance the classes. I realize that this might require a lot of extra work, but it also might be helpful just to expand protagonist-specific bonuses to other kits: for example, letting non-Necromancer mages get access to their own version of an Amulet of Hades. Adding some content for certain NPCs would also make them more viable. While Edwin had essentially every advantage over Nalia in vanilla BG2, the trend is reversed and is equally unbalanced. Adding an upgrade for Edwin's amulet would help. Much the same holds for Minsc vs. Valygar; Valygar is by and large the superior character, given his IA bonuses. Given Minsc's popularity, I would actually have assumed that Minsc would enjoy the extra attention.
I have found the early game fairly frustrating, and I have gotten the impression that players have gotten alienated from IA when they find its battles too difficult. The fact that many battles that were easy in vanilla BG2 are incredibly hard in IA should only exacerbate that problem and deprive IA of the attention it deserves. I struggled through many encounters before realizing there was a recommended order of quests list. I ended up doing the quests in much the same order as other people have, but only after much time was spent. Including the recommended quest order list in the readme instead of the forums would help new players adjust. Goodness knows the work of Sikret and IA testers isn't appreciated much if few people play the mod all the way through. Adjusting the difficulty would help bring in a bigger audience. I have gotten the impression that most people find that the late game is actually noticeably easier than the early game, and that some party builds just aren't very good at handling IA's new challenges. That probably scares off a lot of prospective players, and nobody benefits from that. I would recommend that the difficulty of early encounters be tweaked a little, such that the challenges would keep pace with the player's levels and access to weapons. Perhaps the enemies could get stronger as the player collects Cromwell's new items.

After wading through many criticisms and complaints about IA, and hearing Sikret's defenses against most all of them, I think there might be some genuine problems that are driving prospective players away. Sikret has made it fairly clear that he wants people to play IA "the way it was meant to be played," to avoid the three C's (cheap, cheesy, and cheating), and learn new tactics for harder challenges. I think Sikret wants to learn to be more like a true "tactician," to get more skilled at playing the game, rather than relying on shortcuts as a means of overcoming the challenges that Sikret has spent so much time trying to make difficult. Sikret wants to make the player think if they are to succeed. His analysis of many criticisms of IA is that they are motivated by ignorance of the mod and frustration at their own lack of tactical skill rather than any real problem with the mod.
I do not think this is right, and I don't think it's helping the problem. I'll grant that a lot of people could stand to show IA more of the respect it deserves, but I don't think IA's critics reliance on "cheesy" tactics is the problem. It often isn't clear what tactics ARE considered acceptable in IA. Sikret has stressed that IA requires more tactical skill, but when stage manipulation, game engine tricks, hit-and-run strategies, attacking from beyond the enemy's field of vision, traps, and many standard D&D spells are removed from the game, it's not clear what Sikret expects beyond using IA kits and items and spells. I have often wondered how Sikret and other players manage typical encounters in IA. What spells do they use? What items? What did they sell? What did they hoard? How did they position their characters? Who do they target? How do they know which tactics work and which are doomed to fail? I think much of the frustration at IA is because the game is indeed fundamentally different from BG2, and they are left with almost no clues as to how to play this very new and very difficult game. I was bewildered by IA when I first started playing it. The enemy's new immunities and abilities appeared to come out of nowhere. Seeing a dragon in the Copper Coronet sewers, and getting killed by some mysterious spell just seconds after I entered the area, made IA appear nearly impossible. I have no doubt that surprises like that have done more to confuse and scare away players than to surprise and interest them. Merely repositioning the encounters so the easier fights are in familiar places would probably draw in many more people.
One might resist this idea on the grounds that it is counter to the spirit of IA, which is to provide a serious challenge for serious players. I like the idea of a strong challenge to the player's skills, but there is a great deal of marvelous content that many players appear to be losing out on. I stopped playing IA multiple times out of frustration with reloads or boredom from the somewhat standardized enemies of IA: the mages have SI and PFMW, plus immunity to area-effect spells by virtue of pre-cast spells that my Remove Magic spells could never dispel, and the fighters have damage resistances and regenerate. Invariably, the fights would become highly simplified. I would focus on surviving the enemy's spells and then gradually, slowly, eventually whittle down the monster after 5 minutes of fighting, not counting the initial period of tanking. I tried many methods and cheating and actually found them more satisfying than playing by the rules. Sikret has stressed the sense of satisfaction at overcoming a stronger enemy, and I've often felt that, but the seemingly endless stream of amazingly powerful minibosses--not just bosses, but even the Shadow Jailer and Vengeance Trolls shortly into a quest--made the fights feel more tiring and slow than challenging and epic. Having played the game for 10 years, I don't think it was lack of skill or experience that was holding me back, and having played many different parties and having tried many different mods and new tactics--I even did an Insane Solo Poverty with a Conjurer/Cleric and Kensai/Druid, instead of the usual sorceror--I don't think it was a reliance on cheesy methods that was holding me back, either. IA is hard. Hard enough to discourage people from taking the time to enjoy all the new content that IA introduces.
Making the early game easier would likely invite many more people to stick it through to the end, and I've gotten the impression that Sikret really does want people to play and enjoy this mod. One could argue I'm trying to make IA something it's not or defeat its purpose by weakening it, but there's much to enjoy in IA, and those Improved Crawlers and Noble Trolls and regenerating enemies of all stripes are probably the main reason why people don't finish IA, and walk away without appreciating what it has to offer.
katage
I apologize for the lengthy post. I've been playing the mod long before I posted on this forum, and so I had a lot to say by the time I ended up talking about it.
Sikret
Thanks for the feedback.

QUOTE(katage @ Jul 10 2013, 12:30 PM) *
Seeing a dragon in the Copper Coronet sewers, and getting killed by some mysterious spell just seconds after I entered the area

This is not from Impoved Anvil. You might have installed some other mod which adds this (which is also most probably incompatible with IA).
Vuki
It is a long list, Katage! smile.gif

QUOTE(katage @ Jul 10 2013, 10:00 AM) *
Since Sikret has expressed distaste for commonly used cheats, a cheat being defined as an exploit of the game's engine that a DM would not allow in PnP, I want to call attention to the "cast-and-attack" trick.

I am pretty sure that it is hardcoded in the game engine and nothing can be done with it. It is also used by enemies, so it is pointless to warn players to not use it. Just think about Alacrity, it is also impossible in the pen and paper version.

Second, I'd like to criticize PFMW as a tanking spell.
Mages cannot survive most battles without PfMW (or Absolute Immunity). Stoneskin is not enough even in mid-game. So, these spells cannot be removed from the game (or retuned by your 2 turn suggestions). However the idea is really nice.

Other spells also would be better balanced by weakening them. Reducing the strength of some resistance spells (Protection from Fire, Protection from Magical Energy) would make item or Vagrant resistances less redundant, and give the player a reason to memorize Protection from Fire rather than, for example, Flame Arrow. Lightning Bolt also seems rather overpowered, though few seem to use it. Many areas in IA have close quarters and it is easy to get lightning bolts to bounce correctly and hit an enemy four or five times: the player can just fire the bolt directly north or south. In the vanilla game, I've found Wands of Lightning and Lightning Bolt spells to be more than capable of dealing with almost any enemy, and they still enjoy an advantage over Flame Arrow in many situations in IA, even if they are not as strong. Mirror Image and Stoneskin also are considerably more valuable than most spells: there is little reason to memorize Blur or Teleport Field instead. Feeblemind is another example, effectively being a low-level Finger of Death that bypasses Death Ward. Making the duration temporary and/or tweaking its effects (IWD2 just removed spellcasting for 2 turns) would make Hold Monster a more viable alternative. Offering a higher- or lower-level Breach equivalent would make other 5th-level spells more worth memorizing (how often does anyone use Shadow Door or Domination?). Emotion's excessively high duration also gives it a great advantage over other disablers. There is little reason to use Hold Monster or even Chaos when one has access to Emotion.

If you reduce the power of some protection spells then those characters who have no natural resistances (or from item) cannot archive easily 100% resistance. Please do not give such a nasty ideas to Sikret! biggrin.gif

I also do not really use Hold Monster or Chaos but in some cases they have a good usage. If enemy casters have GoI then they are usefull because they can bypass it (they are 5th level and not 4th level spells).

Other times, I've found spells to be useful only in very specific, unique circumstances. I was delighted to find that Animate Dead was useful before level 15 in dealing with the rats in the Lilarcor quest, but unfortunately, that spell had little use elsewhere, and so I never bothered to memorize it.
I think you should read some of Nicoper's walkthroughs. smile.gif He found the little skellies very usefull and I agree with it. In most battles they are really usefull (it means usually battles where enemies cause piercing or slashing damage). They are able to hit a lot of enemies and they are also great tanks.

Moving on to IA-specific changes, I would call attention to IA kits' hefty advantages to other builds. The Auramaster has essentially every advantage over other druids. It suffers in melee power and HP, but then, druids aren't there for dealing melee damage anyway (none of them are very good at it), and the Auramaster's Mirror Image and extra castings of Wondrous Recall, Ironskin, and other buffs make it a much better tank than the other classes. Its disadvantages are much smaller than its advantages. A druid is there for spellcasting, and the Auramaster is simply better at spellcasting. Its access to RRoR even makes it a strong alternative to a mage--a significant leap for a divine spellcaster. There is therefore little reason, from a tactical perspective, to pick an Avenger or Shapeshifter over an Auramaster.
Much the same holds for the Vagrant and Riskbreaker, along with vanilla kits such as the Swashbuckler and Necromancer. Their advantages appear to more than outweigh their disadvantages relative to other kits, making other kits more or less pointless.

That is absolutely a valid point. I think the class balance was far from perfect in the vanilla game and there was no improvement i IA either. There were some improvements (no one used druids in vanilla game usually and in IA an auramaster is really a good choice, the same is true for rangers) but on the other hand several classes were nerfed (thieves, bards) or just not an option anymore (any other mage kit then necromancer). Some of the IA improvement were also not well balanced and handled, the best example is maybe bard. Blade was made one of the strongest class by IA with the chain mail with the permanent alacrity, then Sikret realized it and the class was nerfed to a level that no one use it (does anybody play with Blade in IA 6.0 ever?). So, double mistake here: make it too strong and then make it too weak. None is good. I think that in V7.0 or V7.1 some balances to classes should be restored (or better say, improved). I do not think that it a big work but it would be a big plus. Unfortunately Sikret thinks it differently and he would like to improve classes one by one. The only problem with it that it means that IA will rebalance all classes around 2030. smile.gif A faster approach would be welcome. smile.gif

IA also lets SI block the thief's detect illusions ability. As I understand it, the rationale is twofold: first, the ability in vanilla BG2 is overpowered, as it gives a low-level the ability to dispel any mage's illusion spells, no matter how skilled that mage may be. Second, SI's blocking the ability is justified because it blocks divination "tools" and not simply spells. I have two objections. First, detect illusions can be nerfed without rendering it incapable of helping the party deal with mages using SI:Divination, and all mages in IA who use Improved Invisibility--the most troublesome illusion spell in IA, I think--always use it with SI:Divination, which makes the detect illusions ability mostly useless against important IA enemies. To weaken it without rendering it more or less useless, we could edit the 2da file for racial thief bonuses to give all races a -150 penalty to detect illusions. So, in order to get detect illusions to work well, the player would have to expend 10 thief levels, 250 points, on detect illusions, which I think would be an acceptable sacrifice. We also might give the detect illusions ability a certain chance to fail, even if the thief's skill is 100.
That is a great idea however I am pretty sure Sikret will not support this idea. smile.gif

I have found the early game fairly frustrating, and I have gotten the impression that players have gotten alienated from IA when they find its battles too difficult. The fact that many battles that were easy in vanilla BG2 are incredibly hard in IA should only exacerbate that problem and deprive IA of the attention it deserves. I struggled through many encounters before realizing there was a recommended order of quests list. I ended up doing the quests in much the same order as other people have, but only after much time was spent. Including the recommended quest order list in the readme instead of the forums would help new players adjust. Goodness knows the work of Sikret and IA testers isn't appreciated much if few people play the mod all the way through. Adjusting the difficulty would help bring in a bigger audience.

I do not agree with it. I think players should find out themselves what should be the battle order. Also I think that these battles are not so tough and you have to be used to for them. On the other hand I think there must be a warning in the readme something like this: "Some of the battles are much harder than in the vanilla BG2, if a battle is too tough for you at the moment then reconsider and make other challenges first!". Such an advice can be really usefull because it is not trivial that a battle is too tough not because of your skills but because of your level.

One might resist this idea on the grounds that it is counter to the spirit of IA, which is to provide a serious challenge for serious players. I like the idea of a strong challenge to the player's skills, but there is a great deal of marvelous content that many players appear to be losing out on. I stopped playing IA multiple times out of frustration with reloads or boredom from the somewhat standardized enemies of IA: the mages have SI and PFMW, plus immunity to area-effect spells by virtue of pre-cast spells that my Remove Magic spells could never dispel, and the fighters have damage resistances and regenerate. Invariably, the fights would become highly simplified. I would focus on surviving the enemy's spells and then gradually, slowly, eventually whittle down the monster after 5 minutes of fighting, not counting the initial period of tanking. I tried many methods and cheating and actually found them more satisfying than playing by the rules.

I agree that some battles are boring because they require the same tactics but on the other hand there are a lot of battles that require special tactics. In the vanilly game you do not need tactics at all, you can handle every fight with the same tactics. So, IA improved a lot here (and in a lot of other areas as well). what makes me tired is the prebuffing, I think it would be much better to have a lot of fights started by a purge magic (on both sides), it would make gameplay much faster and enjoyable - at least for me.

I do not think that cheats or really cheesy methods make gameplay more funny. Easier maybe but not more satisfying. For example if you use an XP exploit then what is the challenge to kill Suna Seni with level 15 characters? It is easier definitely but not more satisfying.
Vuki
QUOTE(Sikret @ Jul 10 2013, 11:08 AM) *
QUOTE(katage @ Jul 10 2013, 12:30 PM) *
Seeing a dragon in the Copper Coronet sewers, and getting killed by some mysterious spell just seconds after I entered the area

This is not from Impoved Anvil. You might have installed some other mod which adds this (which is also most probably incompatible with IA).

I was also suprised by this mysterious dragon. I thought I missed some really interesting content of the mod. biggrin.gif
Vuki
Just a general comment about IA battle difficulties.

I think battles in IA are extremely well balanced and tested. That is one of the strongest point of IA. Most battles are very tough without the proper knowledge but once yu are used to for it you can make it easily (well, most of the time smile.gif ). Battles can be even done with a not optimal party composition and it gives you flexibility. So, yes, it is true that class balance is not improved (generally speaking) but you still have flexibility with party composition. The game can be even won without cleric (or druid) or with 4 mages and just 2 melee types and so on. Even strange combinations can work (like swashi dualled to fighter).
Sikret
QUOTE(Vuki @ Jul 10 2013, 02:29 PM) *
Just a general comment about IA battle difficulties.

I think battles in IA are extremely well balanced and tested. That is one of the strongest point of IA.

Exactly, Vuki! Thanks for pointing this out. Most players are not aware of the amount of time we spent (and spend) on "testing". We have limited time IRL but we do our best.

We do read (and consider) all player feedback as well, I can assure everyone. We have already implemented many ideas and suggestions came to us from players. Feedback is always welcome, but some ideas may just be impossible to implement, some others may contradict something else in the mod or even the mod's big picture. The bottom line is that we hear and consider all feedback even if we don't (or can't) implement them all. And you know, there are things even normal players of the mod do not agree on with each other. We can't keep everyone 100% satisfied.
katage
I really appreciate the responses. It's nice to know my suggestions were taken seriously, even if they aren't going to be implemented. Also glad to hear the dragon wasn't supposed to be there (though other IA monsters have seemed out of place, if only because they were so much stronger than the vanilla monsters). One more question, at the risk of repeating myself, and one odd suggestion. Considering the trouble I've had making my way through the game--playing different versions of the game, I've gotten through the main quest up until the drow ambush, and completed all the pre-Spellhold side quests besides Watcher's Keep and the final battle with Firkraag. Are there any common mistakes, like quest order, that I and other players might be making? Any errors in character development, for example? Is it necessary to start a new game if you don't pick optimal spells, items, proficiencies, and/or classes and find the game too hard later on?

Finally, the odd suggestion. Has anyone ever tried playing IA, or any version of BG2, using randomized characters? I sometimes use an Excel document to generate characters with entirely random stats, classes, and resistances, hoping to find new ways of playing the game by using characters with unusual strengths and weaknesses. I briefly tried an IA run in which I picked the top 6 of 60 randomly generated characters to use in the run, only to find them too inflexible to work correctly. For example, the protagonist had the following stats:

Neutral Good Female Gnome Archer/Cleric multiclass
STR 2
DEX 11
CON 17
INT 19
WIS 25
CHA 23
+7 AC vs. slashing (bonus)
+18 AC vs. piercing
+11 AC vs. crushing
-3 to hit
-2 to damage
-4 to movement rate
100 resist magical fire
-8 weakness magical cold
66 resist slashing
102 resist crushing
93 resist piercing
-104 weakness missile
-40 weakness acid
118 resist cold
95 resist electricity
-79 weakness fire
-37 magic damage resistance
56 magic resistance
-2 save vs. death
2 save vs. wand
-3 save vs. polymorph
-3 save vs. spell
Cleric spells
-1 first level spell, -1 second, -3 third, +2 fourth, +4 fifth, -3 sixth, +4 seventh
The character made a fantastic tank, but it was a horrible fighter and wouldn't become a good spellcaster until late in the game, since it was a multi-class. The other characters were another Archer/Cleric with worse stats, two Berserkers, one Kensai, and a Sorceror. They all had some mismatched resistances--the sorceror could be killed by a single Magic Missile spell; the Kensai would take maybe 50% extra damage from all attacks and would be hit 95% of the time with or without Spirit Armor (it had 21 base AC); the second Archer/Cleric was immune to crushing and slashing damage but could not survive more than a couple rounds against an enemy with a piercing attack. The fact that each character had different movement speeds also made them difficult to position. Overall, the party was terribly effective, at least at first: it only took one reload to take down Mencar Pebblecrusher et al, right out of the first dungeon. However, the party had terrible saves, it would require incredible micromanagement to keep each character away from its greatest weakness (magic or slashing or piercing), and it had almost no ability to deal damage, resulting in very lengthy battles (lengthy even for IA), and I soon became aware that the party's inflexibility would make some IA battles impossible. We had no Breach spell (the sorceror had -5 fifth level spell slots), and neither of my main damage dealers could be decent tanks, nor could my tanks deal much damage. I scrapped the party after I encountered the Keep Viper. Although I had a character who was immune to piercing, she was too vulnerable to poison to survive long, and my damage dealers weren't fast enough to overcome the viper's regeneration. I knew that there were harder, non-optional fights that would also prove too much for the party, since I had decided earlier on that I would use these characters, and no NPCs (else it would not be random).

I've also tried randomizing the characters' items and spells--the idea was I started out with this or that item, but could not use any others--but the net result of randomizing items and resistances tended to produce incredible tanks (one character might get MONHP80, and be essentially immune to damage, or JONHP1, and be invincible) that had terrible weaknesses (having zero weapons and not being able to cast spells). Randomizing ability scores and classes, however, has consistently proven interesting.
Has anyone ever tried anything like that? It requires Shadowkeeper and an Excel document (I can upload it if anyone is curious), and certainly constitutes cheating, but it can actually make the game substantially harder. As always, fate is decided by the dice rolls.
Vuki
QUOTE(katage @ Jul 10 2013, 07:22 PM) *
I really appreciate the responses. It's nice to know my suggestions were taken seriously, even if they aren't going to be implemented. Also glad to hear the dragon wasn't supposed to be there (though other IA monsters have seemed out of place, if only because they were so much stronger than the vanilla monsters). One more question, at the risk of repeating myself, and one odd suggestion. Considering the trouble I've had making my way through the game--playing different versions of the game, I've gotten through the main quest up until the drow ambush, and completed all the pre-Spellhold side quests besides Watcher's Keep and the final battle with Firkraag. Are there any common mistakes, like quest order, that I and other players might be making? Any errors in character development, for example? Is it necessary to start a new game if you don't pick optimal spells, items, proficiencies, and/or classes and find the game too hard later on?

You can use ShadowKeeper to modify your wrongly selected weapon proficiences or spell list.

I think the ideal quest order depends on the player and on the party. Even with the same party different players have difficulties with different battles because of the different playing styles. So, there is no general, true for everybody suggested order.

For example I am playing with two different parties now (because one of my party has to be stopped for some time). In one party there are two arcane casters, in the other party there is no arcane caster at all (only spellcaster is Cernd apart from the Vagrant protagonist). You can imagine that the best quest order for these two parties are far from each other. smile.gif

I never tried a run with randomized characters. I think such a random behaviour could be too random for my taste. But definitely it sounds really unique and interesting.
critto
Hey, katage!

Welcome to the board. Great to see some well thought-out feedback from a long-term player. I am such a player myself, and also have been a tester and developer of IA for some time as well. Wanted to comment on a few things from my perspective. Just keep in mind that the thoughts are my own and do not necessarily express Sikret's or the team's and our vision of IA.

Since Sikret has expressed distaste for commonly used cheats, a cheat being defined as an exploit of the game's engine that a DM would not allow in PnP, I want to call attention to the "cast-and-attack" trick. This is illegal in PnP and makes little sense from the perspective of realism. Fighting and casting spells both require extensive time to perform under the pressure of combat. It also works to the distinct benefit of fighter dual- and multi-classes, at the relative expense of single-classes, though I've gotten the impression that single-classes in IA are more viable overall, at least compared to multi-classes. Casting spells and attacking should therefore be disabled in IA if possible, and if it is not possible, a simple reminder to the player in the readme or one of the in-game hints would call attention to the matter.
I realize that the trick is popular, and I myself am very fond of it, but it makes sense in the context of IA.
While I personally never considered this to be a cheat, unlike firing a bow and running away for instance, Vuki is indeed right in saying that this is a core mechanic of BG's engine which cannot be adjusted without some serious hacking of the executable, and even then it's a hell of job. So there is no practical solution to that problem, unfortunately.

Second, I'd like to criticize PFMW as a tanking spell. Many creatures in IA appear to lack normal weapons and hence have few options when dealing with characters with PFMW. The only way to counteract it is Breach and RRoR if necessary, which not all enemies should probably have and which seems a tad monotonous. The spell effectively makes the caster the perfect tank against any enemy fighter type for four rounds, giving the caster a great deal of time to cast spells in safety. Preventing the caster from casting it more than once every few rounds (maybe 2 turns, so it could not be chained) would make it less overpowered. Absolute Immunity has a similar problem, though arguably it is less overpowered, being a 9th level spell.

You may have a point here, however whenever we can, we try to make monsters' AIs more intelligent and they will try to attack characters that are not protected by PfMW so that simple tanking with a F/M, for instance, is not such a simple option. However, there are limits to what we can do with AI and if a player leaves all his party somewhere far away and tanks the whole lot of enemies with one B->M dual-class, the enemies will have no choice but to continue their futile attempts. This is, however, what we consider a cheesy tactic and not an honest approach to the encounter.

Other spells also would be better balanced by weakening them. Reducing the strength of some resistance spells (Protection from Fire, Protection from Magical Energy) would make item or Vagrant resistances less redundant, and give the player a reason to memorize Protection from Fire rather than, for example, Flame Arrow. Lightning Bolt also seems rather overpowered, though few seem to use it. Many areas in IA have close quarters and it is easy to get lightning bolts to bounce correctly and hit an enemy four or five times: the player can just fire the bolt directly north or south. In the vanilla game, I've found Wands of Lightning and Lightning Bolt spells to be more than capable of dealing with almost any enemy, and they still enjoy an advantage over Flame Arrow in many situations in IA, even if they are not as strong.
Vagrant is only one character with such resistances, and I can't really say that his usefulness is diminished by effectiveness of Protection from Fire. This is simply an advantage of having a resistant character that indeed frees up a bit of spell book for other choices. However, this is a single case of having a Vagrant character. There are still five more chars that need to be protected and I fail to see how having a less effective Protection from Fire would free up more slots? You'd need to memorise more of those in order to have characters protected, wouldn't you? smile.gif And there are encounters where having your characters protected from fire is crucial (Firkraag and Ancient Dragon, to name a few). As for the Fire Arrow, I cannot completely agree that it is less useful simply because Lightning Bolt has a chance of friendly fire and thus can hurt your own party members. Fire Arrow does not have this disadvantage and is perfectly suitable in numerous situations with enemies that possess a weakness to fire (vampires, to name one).

Mirror Image and Stoneskin also are considerably more valuable than most spells: there is little reason to memorize Blur or Teleport Field instead. Feeblemind is another example, effectively being a low-level Finger of Death that bypasses Death Ward. Making the duration temporary and/or tweaking its effects (IWD2 just removed spellcasting for 2 turns) would make Hold Monster a more viable alternative. Offering a higher- or lower-level Breach equivalent would make other 5th-level spells more worth memorizing (how often does anyone use Shadow Door or Domination?). Emotion's excessively high duration also gives it a great advantage over other disablers. There is little reason to use Hold Monster or even Chaos when one has access to Emotion.
At the same time, other spells receive nerfs that make them nearly useless for many important encounters in IA. With enemy MR and its save bonus and low duration, Glitterdust has few uses in IA. Generally, I think a broader variety of useful spells would be suited to a tactical mod.

Blur and Mirror Image have different abilities and therefore I once again fail to see how one diminishes other's effectiveness? Mirror Image is a decent option for tanking or avoiding area-effect spells such as ADHW (which might also be considered a questionable tactic, since it's kind of senseless when you think about it). Blur gives extra bonuses to AC and such, increasing your character's durability in melee. They have different applications and usually a mage have enough slots on second level to fit both, in my experience.

I think we should consider re-introducing (Minor) Spell Deflection and Minor Spell Turning. Currently the player has few spell protections at his or her disposal. Creating some Transmutation spells to replace them would also work, and have the additional benefit of balancing mages, since transmuters miss out on so many excellent abjuration spells. Arguably, these spells give the player an unacceptably strong defense against enemy spells, requiring fewer spell slots than Improved Invisibility+SI, but the enemy would also be able to counter them with spells aside from RRoR, if we also included some lower-level debuffers that IA overwrites. Making Pierce Magic and even Secret Word or Spell Thrust more practical would balance mages versus sorcerors by making a broader variety of spells more valuable.
The main issue with broader variety of spells is that it's harder to balance their usage and make sure that all spells are appropriately powerful or not. Simply re-introducing the spells would cause issues with balance of some other kind. The spells we have now are tested in many versions of IA with many different party compositions. This is the main issue. For each version of IA, we try to introduce new spells or re-balance existing ones. But we put them through the gruesome process of testing. We unfortunately do not have the manpower to do this on a wide scale. IA was always precision work. In this we differ from other similar mods such as SCS or Spell Revisions which offer great deal of variety at expense of less thorough testing which usually happens during players' runs where they experience bugs or problems and work together on it. It's a great and valid way to work on a mod, just not in our case smile.gif

I think it is important that we make a broad variety of spells useful. A tactician would naturally want to be familiar with many different methods, and I understand that the tactician ideal is a big thing for IA players here. Extra options can help give more color to the game and make some battles less monotonous. I have found it unfortunate that the strategy for dealing with mages in IA usually boiled down to RRoR, True Seeing, Breach, and Chain Lightning. In IA, Wizard Slayers, Insect Plague, Silence 15' Radius, Miscast Magic, backstabs, or even simply using a Fireball to interrupt a spell, are all of very little value. Such strategies are just not worth pursuing in IA considering the strength of RRoR, True Seeing, Breach, and Chain Lightning, and I think it would be nice if those tactics were useful at least in some situations.

Some spell are indeed less effective, I agree. Some, however, are simply not effective for you wink.gif The great example you provided is Animated Dead. Skeleton Warriors are great summons and remain strong for quite a while. Many players use them on par with other summons.

One might argue that reintroducing these spells would either require increasing the number of spells overall--preventing the sorceror from picking all of them--or require overwriting useful new IA spells. This could be avoided by replacing less-commonly used spells such as contagion, which few players (I assume) bother using anyway.
This is the dilemma. We need to make choices on spells. Which to improve, which to remove and so on. It's hard to say which are used and which are not by players. If we do add or re-balance a spell, we try to make it generally useful. However, one size does not fit all and, as indeed Sikret has said, we cannot satisfy everybody.

Moving on to IA-specific changes, I would call attention to IA kits' hefty advantages to other builds. …. I realize that IA is very much a new game, but making IA items less overwhelmingly superior to vanilla items would open up some new opportunities for players, which fits the point of a tactical mod.

About the kits. Yes, our new additions and re-balancing of classes is a core part of IA. We do indeed intend to work on balancing out the classes in the future releases. New IA kits and classes are a great way for new players to get into the game because these kits are substantially more powerful and thus provide an easier learning curve. However, there were more than plenty of runs with experimental and not well-balanced parties. The same goes for items. Indeed, custom quests and items are part of the brand-new content and, as with the tactical encounters, we spend a lot of time to test everything thoroughly. Simply piling up additions to classes and dishing out untested, buggy quests is not something we are willing to do. That said, I would never agree that the game is only playable with brand-new IA classes. Many of kits, characters and NPCs are useful and effective in IA (fighter kits, paladins, rangers, dual-classes such as R->C or F->C, the same kind of dual into a mage and so on). The improved equipment is a necessary part of a tactical mod, because we need to give the party equally powerful means of defeating the enemies. Some items are class- or kit-specific and serve as a part of the reward for new quests. But these items constitute perhaps only 20% of all the items on the list. The rest is available to wide range of characters, including personalised items for some of the NPCs.

The general motivation about rebalancing of Detect Illusions was based on the fact that a thief's ability is more of a skill and used to detect enemy thieves, who use "natural" means of hiding. They shouldn't be able to dispel magic, it is never implied that thieves' invisibility detection is a spell or some kind of divination. You might not agree with this reasoning, but this what we went with and doubtfully change in the future. We will find ways to make rogue classes fun and interesting to play. We already did it in the upcoming IAv7 with Swashbuckler and it shows nice results. Hopefully, the players will like it too. As for the traps, the decisions were made about them before my time with IA, so it is not for me to judge the decision. I personally not a big fan of traps and therefore do not miss them.

Adding some content for protagonists besides Vagrants, good fighters, Necromancers, Swashbucklers etc. would also balance the classes. I realize that this might require a lot of extra work, but it also might be helpful just to expand protagonist-specific bonuses to other kits: for example, letting non-Necromancer mages get access to their own version of an Amulet of Hades. Adding some content for certain NPCs would also make them more viable. While Edwin had essentially every advantage over Nalia in vanilla BG2, the trend is reversed and is equally unbalanced. Adding an upgrade for Edwin's amulet would help. Much the same holds for Minsc vs. Valygar; Valygar is by and large the superior character, given his IA bonuses. Given Minsc's popularity, I would actually have assumed that Minsc would enjoy the extra attention.

As I said, adding new content or even rebalancing an existing NPC is a lot of work. We will never just throw in some stuff without doing a full run to test it (in case of a NPC). That is why this process is slow-going. But we're getting there.

I have found the early game fairly frustrating, and I have gotten the impression that players have gotten alienated from IA when they find its battles too difficult. ... That probably scares off a lot of prospective players, and nobody benefits from that. I would recommend that the difficulty of early encounters be tweaked a little, such that the challenges would keep pace with the player's levels and access to weapons. Perhaps the enemies could get stronger as the player collects Cromwell's new items.
The recommended quest order is just that. A good way for a new player to get into the game doing encounters in an approved way in terms of increasing difficulty. This is definitely not a single way to do it, and more experienced players go about the game in a different manner. Some attempt more challenging tasks such as Mencar's party or De'Arnise stronghold shortly out of the dungeon. There is no one size fits all and the recommended order is definitely not the only one.

I do not think this is right, and I don't think it's helping the problem. I'll grant that a lot of people could stand to show IA more of the respect it deserves, but I don't think IA's critics reliance on "cheesy" tactics is the problem. It often isn't clear what tactics ARE considered acceptable in IA. Sikret has stressed that IA requires more tactical skill, but when stage manipulation, game engine tricks, hit-and-run strategies, attacking from beyond the enemy's field of vision, traps, and many standard D&D spells are removed from the game, it's not clear what Sikret expects beyond using IA kits and items and spells. I have often wondered how Sikret and other players manage typical encounters in IA. What spells do they use? What items? What did they sell? What did they hoard? How did they position their characters? Who do they target? How do they know which tactics work and which are doomed to fail?

This is usually a position of a player who comes to IA and doesn't want to spend time learning better tactics. Pretty much everything you noted are cheap tricks and nothing more. it is also hard to interpret your phrase about Sikret's expectations. Yes, we do indeed expect the player to use his characters' strengths, items, spells and powers in order to find an honest approach towards defeating the enemies smile.gif Get to know your foe, turn on those auto pause settings, think on your actions during each round as if you're playing a turn-based game and you'll prevail. The exception is using only IA kits. I explained the motivation above. You can read through Sikret's own run of v5 where he used only one IA kit, the Vagrant protagonist, and that's it. The rest of the party were Bioware NPCs, except for a custom fighter (not an IA kit, I point out). Perhaps, one day we will do a full run, with screenshots and such, to show how we go about it in a way that interests you.

Well, people already replied about the dragon smile.gif This is simply stupid, ridiculous and definitely added by some strange mod.

One might resist this idea on the grounds that it is counter to the spirit of IA, which is to provide a serious challenge for serious players. I like the idea of a strong challenge to the player's skills, but there is a great deal of marvelous content that many players appear to be losing out on. I stopped playing IA multiple times out of frustration with reloads or boredom from the somewhat standardized enemies of IA: the mages have SI and PFMW, plus immunity to area-effect spells by virtue of pre-cast spells that my Remove Magic spells could never dispel, and the fighters have damage resistances and regenerate. ... Hard enough to discourage people from taking the time to enjoy all the new content that IA introduces.
Yes, you are right that IA is hard. And enemies require some thinking and finding a right approach to at different stages. If you meet a Yuan-ti mage early on, you can't dispel its defences. I daresay you couldn't even in vanilla BG2 (although I might be wrong since I haven't played vanilla for a long time) and have to find a different approach. There is one and a simple at that (Chaotic Commands and Protection from Fire, basically), you just have to look for it. At higher levels, starting from level 15, your mages are perfectly capable of dispelling the protections. One thing to note about IA is that many fights and encounters are custom-made. We deliberately give enemies strengths and weaknesses which are for a player to discover and exploit in order to defeat the foe. This is what keeps up the need to think on each encounter. The general increase in difficulty is simply there to keep up the pace and do not throw player from fighting a vanilla puny monsters in one room to grinding his teeth against a powerful one in the next. This has a side effect, of course. Sometimes we create encounters that might be tad easy or, vice-versa, a bit overpowered. When we do, we tone it down as requested by players. This happened with the Drow Ambush in the Underdark in v5, or with the Drowned Soul in v6. In both cases we have re-balanced the fights. And the new content always have a custom-made tactical component which is the part of the attraction, in my opinion. So decreasing the difficulty for a player simply to get crushed in the tough fights that are present in all new quests is simply merciless smile.gif

When I was a beginning player, I simply used to lower difficulty of the game. It gave my characters more staying power and a bit of advantage over the enemies. It has allowed me to do runs through the game with sub-optimal parties. This was a part of the learning process which was what made it such fun.

Finally, the odd suggestion. Has anyone ever tried playing IA, or any version of BG2, using randomized characters? I sometimes use an Excel document to generate characters with entirely random stats, classes, and resistances, hoping to find new ways of playing the game by using characters with unusual strengths and weaknesses. I briefly tried an IA run in which I picked the top 6 of 60 randomly generated characters to use in the run, only to find them too inflexible to work correctly. For example, the protagonist had the following stats:

This is something new, I have to admit. I have never seen such an approach to the game and it's kind of refreshing to see that they people still play and experiment at that. It is nice indeed smile.gif I would point out, however, that we never even considered testing the game under such extreme conditions and it would be basically impossible to balance the game to fit such parties. I'd say that there is a great chance to stop at some impassable encounter with such a party and no one would tell for you sure when it will happen. But the idea is indeed quite refreshing and curious.
Vuki
QUOTE(critto @ Jul 10 2013, 08:57 PM) *
Some spell are indeed less effective, I agree. Some, however, are simply not effective for you wink.gif The great example you provided is Animated Dead. Skeleton Warriors are great summons and remain strong for quite a while. Many players use them on par with other summons.

Lol, he mentioned the normal skeletons and not the improved ones: smile.gif

Btw, this spell is absolutely not needed and it does not give real advantage in that fight. All you need is an arcane caster or an auramaster who is able to cast level 4th spells. smile.gif
katage
An arcane spellcaster or Auramaster might indeed be able to take care of the rats, but I was referring to the Skeletons' immunity to disease, and hence their near-immunity to the rats' attacks. I was playing an earlier version of IA at very low levels--I was right out of the first dungeon--and found that the only way to survive the rats' attack was to use Skeletons as bait. Even then I barely survived.
critto
Lol, he mentioned the normal skeletons and not the improved ones:

You are right, Vuki, I have misunderstood the context. Thanks for pointing that out smile.gif Was tired in the evening when writing my reply.

Even so, that is definitely not the only application of a weaker version of skeletons that comes to my mind. I personally found, as did some other players, that these little guys are a great help when fighting improved mists. They gang up quite well and last for a while which is a great asset in fights like Screaming Statue, for instance.
katage
It's unfortunate it takes so much time and testing to balance new items and spells and kits.

A couple things from just now going through the Unseeing Eye quest. First, I encountered a bug in which the entrance to the temple of Amaunator would vanish. I would go through the area and find that I could not click on the entrance to enter the temple, much like IA sometimes prevents you from leaving certain dungeons after you first enter. Replaying the area without fighting the Vampiric Mists and spiders guarding the Warhammer +2, Ashideena, allowed me to enter the temple. Those battles might interfere with that temple entrance appearing. I got through the bug, but it might cause trouble for others.

I assume the reasoning for entrances sometimes vanishing is to prevent the player from finishing part of a dungeon (say, level 1 of Firkraag's lair), grabbing a useful item (the Ring of Fire Resistance, if IA doesn't move it), and leaving the area to come back later. But in dungeons with multiple autosaves (Firkraag's lair again), the player might overwrite all of his or her saves so that all of them were in that dungeon, or else only have one very old pre-dungeon save. I haven't noticed this in the readme, so unless I've overlooked something, I think there should be a warning to save before major dungeons, in case the player enters a dungeon before he or she is ready to take it on, and overwrites his or her recent pre-dungeon saves.

The other thing would be the fight with the Empathic Manifestation. I've always found the idea behind the fight rather interesting, but nowadays it only lasts one round, since a single healing spell can take it down. Perhaps we could add some difficulty for the battle: require a few more healing spells to defeat it, have the demon try to interrupt them, and maybe even throw in some extra enemies that would make sense given the Empathic Manifestation's concept: it could gate in some lesser demons (a Nabassu, or even Demon Knights), or be guarded by some fallen paladins and clerics of Amaunator. It would probably be best if its summons didn't require healing spells to defeat, like the demon does, or that might work unfairly against parties with few divine spellcasters. Perhaps the demon could drop a cursed weapon of berserking as a reward.
katage
Went back to fight the Vampiric Mists and spiders. The entrance to the temple and the exit to the south both vanished after the fight with the mists, but the loot wasn't too spectacular, so it's not a big deal. I'll just ignore them.
critto
Do you mean that the battle was over, but the exits were unaccessible? Which fight with mists and spiders are we talking exactly? There are two separate encounters, each triggered individually.
katage
The battle was over and the exits were inaccessible. All enemies were dead. As for the specific battle, when I clicked on the just to the north of the entrance to the area, it showed the message "The mouth of this face appears to be screaming," I got a "trap sprung" message, a cloudkill spell hit me, and maybe a half dozen Vampiric Mists, two Mist Horrors, and a Vampire appeared. I also gathered the loot from the container in the face, but I don't think that triggers anything. Since I was only level 11 on average, I assumed the vampire was an IA addition, and not the result of level-adjusted enemies (also, the beholders to the east were Gauths, not big beholders).
As for the spiders, they spawned after I got the War Hammer +2, Ashideena, in the container just south of the place where you get attacked by beholders. A Ghost Spider, Whisper Spider, Killer Spider, Spirit Spider, and Lesser Spirit Spider appeared, along with one or two web spells. But that did not cause the entrance to the temple and the exit from the area to vanish; I checked each one after I defeated the spiders.
Vuki
QUOTE(katage @ Jul 11 2013, 06:31 PM) *
A couple things from just now going through the Unseeing Eye quest. First, I encountered a bug in which the entrance to the temple of Amaunator would vanish. I would go through the area and find that I could not click on the entrance to enter the temple, much like IA sometimes prevents you from leaving certain dungeons after you first enter. Replaying the area without fighting the Vampiric Mists and spiders guarding the Warhammer +2, Ashideena, allowed me to enter the temple. Those battles might interfere with that temple entrance appearing. I got through the bug, but it might cause trouble for others.

I am pretty sure the problem is not with IA but with your setup. You installed several other mods and your IA setup is therefore incorrect. For example there is no dragon in CC sewer. If you have such a side effects that this bug is for sure caused by other incompatible mods (I mean incomapatible with IA).

I assume the reasoning for entrances sometimes vanishing is to prevent the player from finishing part of a dungeon (say, level 1 of Firkraag's lair), grabbing a useful item (the Ring of Fire Resistance, if IA doesn't move it), and leaving the area to come back later. But in dungeons with multiple autosaves (Firkraag's lair again), the player might overwrite all of his or her saves so that all of them were in that dungeon, or else only have one very old pre-dungeon save. I haven't noticed this in the readme, so unless I've overlooked something, I think there should be a warning to save before major dungeons, in case the player enters a dungeon before he or she is ready to take it on, and overwrites his or her recent pre-dungeon saves.

I never noticed similar things in Firkraag dungeon. That dungeon can be left any time as I know. The good example is the Temple Ruins but even in that case the entry is opened in case you defeat the Shadow Jailor (and that is the first battle [ok, after the wolf and the skeleton warriors]), so you cannot miss it. Also in this case the autosave is still there it is not overwritten by anyone and you can always reload it. I think in all such a cases the autosave is always an option.

Please remember also the Planar Sphere, when you activate the Sphere you cannot return and there is also no prewarning about it. In this case even autosave is overwritten, so you cannot reload the game if you overwrite all of your saves. This is a standard quest, so BG2 developers should be also blamed. smile.gif
Vuki
QUOTE(katage @ Jul 11 2013, 07:35 PM) *
The battle was over and the exits were inaccessible. All enemies were dead. As for the specific battle, when I clicked on the just to the north of the entrance to the area, it showed the message "The mouth of this face appears to be screaming," I got a "trap sprung" message, a cloudkill spell hit me, and maybe a half dozen Vampiric Mists, two Mist Horrors, and a Vampire appeared.

That could be the reason (apart from improper installation of the mod). You have to click 3 times on the mouth and win all 3 fights in a short period of time and then you get a reward. You finished the first battle but not the other two and it could cause that issue.
Vuki
I tested it. Indeed if you start the screaming statue quest but it is not finished (so, just finish 1st wave) then you cannot leave the area. It is good in my opinion because it suggested that you have to still do something in the area.
katage
The dragon actually appeared in an earlier run of IA, not this one. It happened months ago. And I thought I did a clean install; I uninstalled several other mods before installing IA. But I found an item called the Jade Burial Sword, it's terribly overpowered (2d12+5 damage, plus several immunities a dispel on hit effect), and now that I've looked up the file in DLTCEP, I think it might not actually be an IA item, and it's just some leftover from a mod that somehow did not get installed. Or is it really an IA item? I don't remember where I got it.
As for the spider encounter, I didn't realize there were three battles requiring three clicks. That's probably what happened; I didn't finish the full encounter and hence the entrance did not reappear.

As for the Planar Sphere limitation, it actually makes sense from the in-game perspective, since you traveled to another plane, which doesn't happen in Firkraag's lair or the Temple Ruins.

As for the Temple Ruins or Firkraag's lair, maybe you're required to beat every enemy in that area, but not the whole dungeon. One of the reasons I had to reload in an earlier run, which I did not finish, was that I could not kill Firkraag and found the exit to be missing. In retrospect, the missing exit might be because I didn't clear out all the enemies in the area. Or maybe it was just a bad installation. I don't remember how I installed it; that run was also several months ago.

Thanks for the clarification.
Sikret
Katage, I think the very first thing you need to do is to uninstall the entire game, install it afresh and follow the installation instructions accurately before starting a new game. With an incorrect installation, you will keep encountering bugs and will never know which mod is responsible for which. None of the problems you have so far described would have happened if you had a correct installation.

One more important point: Never use Shadowkeeper for editing your game. It is known to create random bugs. Shadowkeeper is good for viewing items and spells but not for editing purposes.

Of course, you are free to play however you wish, but if you are looking for technical support here, you need to play with a correct installation.
katage
Pity that Shadowkeeper doesn't work well with IA. I screw around with SK a lot.

I didn't mean to ask for aid in using an improperly installed IA--that wouldn't be fair of me--I just wondered if it was a common problem. But thank you for letting me know.
critto
Pity that Shadowkeeper doesn't work well with IA. I screw around with SK a lot.

It pretty much doesn't work well with anything. It has a potential screw your game no matter what kind of installation you're having. Whenever we encounter an odd bug or report from a player we always ask if there was Shadowkeeper involved.
katage
I actually have seldom experienced issues with SK outside of IA. Usually it works as intended. Probably the main reason why I use it, though, is because the other means of screwing around with the game aren't available for me. CLUA appears inaccessible in Windows 8... much like Windows 7... and Windows Vista. It's been years and several computers since I've been able to use it, even if I install BG2 outside Program Files or Program Files (x86), edit the baldur.ini file correctly, or even disable UAC and try to uncheck "read only" in the BG2 directory. DLTCEP also hasn't let me edit anything, though I can still view stuff. Oddly, BGTutu has no such problems, nor do the other IE games.

On an unrelated note, I've often found it odd that enemies are so much more willing to exhaust their potions and scrolls than the player. The player always has another fight to win and hence has to conserve potions and scrolls and item charges, and even spells and innate abilities when resting is not an option. The enemy, however, only needs to fight the player once, and has no reason not to expend all of its potions, unless the player attacks once, flees, rests, and comes back, which I think is considered cheesy (it would actually be a little interesting if the enemy pulled that trick on me every once in a while). In any given battle, I have far more potions than the enemy, but given the need to save potions and gold for later battles, I often use them less often than the enemy. If I don't, the next fight will be harder, since enemies tend to drink potions more than they drop potions. If the enemy beats me, he likely triples his potion supply when he takes my stuff. From a realism perspective, one would think the average enemy party would be crammed with loot they were saving for future battles. As an adventurer, Samia would probably have a Dagger +1 or a few Shandon gems or a Ring of Protection +1 or a random scroll of Cold Protection, just from the work she'd have done getting into Firkraag's lair, and she would be saving that to sell after she killed me and went home to celebrate. Too bad that would make fights much too profitable for the player.
Vuki
QUOTE(katage @ Jul 12 2013, 07:01 PM) *
I actually have seldom experienced issues with SK outside of IA. Usually it works as intended. Probably the main reason why I use it, though, is because the other means of screwing around with the game aren't available for me. CLUA appears inaccessible in Windows 8... much like Windows 7... and Windows Vista. It's been years and several computers since I've been able to use it, even if I install BG2 outside Program Files or Program Files (x86), edit the baldur.ini file correctly, or even disable UAC and try to uncheck "read only" in the BG2 directory. DLTCEP also hasn't let me edit anything, though I can still view stuff. Oddly, BGTutu has no such problems, nor do the other IE games.

CluConsole commands are working perfectly for me and I use a laptop with Windows 7. Did you install BG2 into the main directory (like C:\Games\BG2) or under the Program Files directory? It works only properly if you install it the previous way. You have to give also full authorization to BG2 to run properly. Also, did you maybe not forget to switch on the debug mode of your BG2 install? without it Clua will not work.
katage
The debug mode is on, according to the baldur.ini file, but I currently have it installed in the Program Files (x86) folder. I previously tried it in C, next to Program Files and Program Files (x86), and My Documents... but not C:\Games. Would that make a difference?
Vuki
QUOTE(katage @ Jul 12 2013, 08:34 PM) *
The debug mode is on, according to the baldur.ini file, but I currently have it installed in the Program Files (x86) folder. I previously tried it in C, next to Program Files and Program Files (x86), and My Documents... but not C:\Games. Would that make a difference?

I think the difference is authorization. But I do not know the real background. Of course you do not have to put it under C:\Games, it can be any "normal" directory.
HTRT
You can copy the baldur.ini from your installation into some temporary folder not located in x86, modifiy it, save it there, then copy it, paste it into your installation folder in x86 and answer yes to the question you get.

I can't remember exactly the procedure I used to get rid of x86 annoyance forever on my computer
katage
I reinstalled BG2 into C:\Black Isle\BGII - SoA. Disabled UAC and tried to disable "read only" status for the new installation folder. Didn't happen. DLTCEP still doesn't work.

Deleted all my saves, apparently. Whatever. At least CLUA is working. That'll be convenient in the future. Still disappointed about DLTCEP. As for the lost saves... well, I actually just died in a no-reload, no-pre-buffs, roleplaying run of SCSII, so I didn't lose my current run. In the no-reload run, I made a point of only doing the things in the game that the characters would know to do (only casting buffs after scouting, going after the first quests we came across and reforming the party without considering late-game optimization), so my characters didn't know enough to delay the Planar Sphere until, say, 11th level for each character. Long story short, Lavok summoned a Planetar, it killed Viconia with raw damage and Minsc with a vorpal strike before I could hit it once, and the rest of the party got toasted by a Dragon's Breath spell. So that quest was over. No-reload run forbade trying again.

Circle of life.

Reloads are pretty important. PnP must be brutal.

I actually did a no-reload run of IWD2 and it wasn't so bad, mostly because I was resorting to every dirty trick in the book except for bard song stacking, though I only used two characters, neither of which was evil, which isn't supposed to be really possible in a HoF run. I guess for the run I just failed, I placed too many restrictions on myself, or at least picked the wrong necromancer to mess around with.
Vuki
If you want to try IA then I suggest this time follow the installation instruction and do not install other mods (unless they are compatible with IA). I am pretty sure most of the bugs and strange effects will disapear from your game if you follow the installation rules of IA.
crunk
lol that's so many suggestions... especially with all those install problems tongue.gif

people like to make suggestions, but it's usually a better idea to simply give complaints and/or praise. To me, making a suggestion on something like this is like... reading a new book for the first time, liking it overall with the exception of a few things, and setting out to get those few things changed. And then for some reason, the author complies with all my suggestions, and then I read the book again, now the way I thought it should be. lol? The book will turn out to be much less enjoyable the second time around...

IMO, just surprise me.

With that being said. Summons play a much larger role in v6 compared to v5. I hate the new high frequency targeting algorithm. They lose their commands every second or so (early game healing up with dryads = WTF)... I realize this was implemented so the vampires and stuff would target more intelligently, but damn my summons just went full retard.

katage
Currently reinstalling the entire game.

Crunk, I'm surprised that you were surprised by my suggestions. I don't expect the author of a book to make changes based on my opinion. Nor do I expect my suggestions here to be implemented, as I said earlier. That's why they're called suggestions. If I considered myself some expert on IA whose opinion needed to be heeded and whose ideas needed to be implemented, I would not have made suggestions; I would have been more forward with my opinion. More to the point, if I expected all my ideas to be implemented, I would not have called attention to my inexperience in the first place. It's like saying you heard something on Wikipedia. It might not be reliable, but that's why you should tell people where you got it--they'll know your information is not based on a scholarly source. Likewise, I think it was appropriate for me to make suggestions if I made it clear that I was not an experienced player. But maybe this is just semantics.

As a writer that hasn't had time for a writing workshop in 5 years (I've had college to attend to, and now grad school), I actually feel rather deprived of reader input, sage or no.
katage
And I actually didn't have any install problems with this last run of IA, the run my suggestions were inspired by: the problems I experienced (the dragon, for example) occurred with earlier runs of IA using earlier versions of IA on earlier installations on BG2. I hadn't actually experienced any bugs with the last run of IA, since the missing exit thing was due to my not clicking on the statue three times, not because of a bad install. My memory tells me I used a clean install for the last run of IA, as the readme etc. advised, and I experienced no actual bugs to suggest I had done otherwise.
SparrowJacek
Hi again!
I hope that IA7 will be released ASAP and will be even better than v6

I was thinking of starting a new game, however there are some issues that still bother me(though nothing really vital):
-phosphorus is almost the only choice before underdark, every run has it forged, why not make a nice alternative?
-the game lacks nice spears, and since V7 concentrates on druids, I'd really appreciate to see them in use.
-I've never dared to create a paladin because of that frightening turn paladin(no one plays them!) what is more they can't even dual-class or achieve GM at any weapon. I'd love to see them reactivated in v7 (even 1 kit boosted to compensate the effects of TP, or an item/spell that prevents it for a while, or some interesting HLA's other than deva)

Good luck with the newest version!
nicoper
Hi SparrowJacek

QUOTE(SparrowJacek @ Jan 17 2014, 05:34 PM) *
I hope that IA7 will be released ASAP and will be even better than v6

We all hope! smile.gif

-phosphorus is almost the only choice before underdark, every run has it forged, why not make a nice alternative?

Reading this I just agree! thumb.gif
Thinking a bit about it Phosphorous has many tremendous qualities:
- available relatively soon
- +4 blunt weapon
- 24 STR bonus
- Is a weapon that makes it till end game (I mean I never regret having forged it!)

Based on my own way of playing and experience, Phosphorous is also key to win early (before Brynnlaw) key important fights (because of their loot):
- Founder of trademeet
- Samia and party
And with a spirit of challenge and the right party some quite hard fights before spellhold:
- Firkraag
- Teshal
- Umar
- Troll mound
- Guarded compound

In short, I agree on the idea but cannot figure any proposal biggrin.gif (apart making it a hammer with same properties which is not what I would call an alternative)

-the game lacks nice spears, and since V7 concentrates on druids, I'd really appreciate to see them in use.

In V7 druid should gain some specific weapons, nonetheless true that a nice spear available sooner might be nice

-I've never dared to create a paladin because of that frightening turn paladin(no one plays them!) what is more they can't even dual-class or achieve GM at any weapon. I'd love to see them reactivated in v7 (even 1 kit boosted to compensate the effects of TP, or an item/spell that prevents it for a while, or some interesting HLA's other than deva)

In fact I like undead hunters, even went once with a divine oriented party with 2 UH in it and could make it through (not EDE), even though turned sometimes!

I also plead for GM (in 2H swords and/or Longswords) for paladins, so big nod on this

Some items already prevent turning (can spoil you which ones I know of if you like) apart one of them (hard to obtain and late chapter 3 IIRC) confess they are available (very) late in the game

One boost I could figure for paladin would be improve casting, many ways to explore IMHO:
-one more spell per level,
- bonus to casting speed (1 or 2),
- specific spells (like mental equilibrium),
- extend spell to level 5 (having raise dead could make paladin a substitute to cleric/druid),

Idea to have interesting HLA is a good one too, for example what about a "Contact With God" offering 20% physical resist for some rounds happy.gif ?

SparrowJacek
I've just started a new run, and got a nice(in my opinion ofc) idea:
All parties we encounter are do or die, and that means we just kill them tongue.gif they have same stats, same eq(almost, due to randomization, though I'm not sure that anyone in hostile parties uses these items...) and just wait in sewers or else for eternity... what about a party that wants to challenge us? They approach us for example somewhere in the beginning to fight, then:
1. after some are dead, they beg for mercy and we can let them go
2. after some of them are dead, the rest run away
3. some time after slaying them it turns out that they had cleric who didn't participate in the fight and resurrected them(we are the ONLY ones that use this spell in whole game! So why couldn't he do that too?(oh yeah, in 1. and 2. they also were resurected))

Then we meet them again somewhere else, better prepared, with higher stats/levels/better eq.

I'd love to have even 3 encounters with them, but just can't see why wouldn't we just slay every one of them during second fight...

Hmm... after writing this I'm thinking that it could even turn into a nice long quest/sequence of quests, where we help them get some items or something like that! Almost every party in the game seems a bit "flat" they have 1 talk before we kill them, why not giving this party some background? (certainly after obtaining this item they would use it in confrontation with our party)
Or even they could be possessed by a powerful demon/mage/lich or brought back to life to get revenge or something like that... There are many possibilities!

And side note: monk's amulet is made of 2 amulets +1 so why doesn't it have saving throws bonus? sad.gif
critto
It's a nice idea indeed, if only we had time and resources to implement it and many other great ideas.

> And side note: monk's amulet is made of 2 amulets +1 so why doesn't it have saving throws bonus?
It might be a design misconception or the simple reality that monks aren't that well-balanced for IA as of now. There was a plan to work on them as a part of the warrior strongold's re-haul, if that ever comes to be.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.