Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2 suggestions for v7
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
HTRT
I know there's a lot of work to be done (and especially focus should be towards new stuff, not improving already improved stuff), but can't resist tongue.gif

1) Chromatic demon fight. Very well designed, I love him and the way to fight him. Just his followers that I find somewhat "generic" (although I know that it is much easier to re-use working recipees instead of creating new stuff with computers in general). This fight would be extremly cute in my opinion if demon wasn't changed but his followers were replaced by 4 liches (maybe with names...like the actual mages that lived in the laboratories) each one specialized in an element (fire, cold, electricity, acid instead of poison). Liches that would still fight
cleverly in terms of scripting, but that will have a huge preference for said element in its spellbook (and could maybe have a special custom spell based on that element for more flavour).
I think the party can handle this at that point relatively well.

2) Mind Flayers. Somoene I think it was nicoper said at some point that mind flayers at the end of sendai's enclave are not strong enough. I think mind flayers in general lack a little power...but I understand it can be hard to balance them as intelligence drain is kind of harsh as an effect. So I think an idea could be to actually change the amount of intelligence drained, depending maybe on the "level" of the mind flayer (mind flayer, ulitharid, aloon, etc))
for example, a mind flayer would drain one point per hit. This nerf would have the benefit of allowing some major improvments with mind flayers, making them a lot tougher/cunning etc, so that the intelligence drain will be manageable in a similar way that you can manage to avoid getting too many strenght drain hits in fights against other creatures.

Just two ideas, because discussing this mod is fun anyway
nicoper
QUOTE(HTRT @ May 26 2013, 02:23 AM) *
I know there's a lot of work to be done (and especially focus should be towards new stuff, not improving already improved stuff), but can't resist tongue.gif

1) Chromatic demon fight. Very well designed, I love him and the way to fight him. Just his followers that I find somewhat "generic" (although I know that it is much easier to re-use working recipees instead of creating new stuff with computers in general). This fight would be extremly cute in my opinion if demon wasn't changed but his followers were replaced by 4 liches (maybe with names...like the actual mages that lived in the laboratories) each one specialized in an element (fire, cold, electricity, acid instead of poison). Liches that would still fight
cleverly in terms of scripting, but that will have a huge preference for said element in its spellbook (and could maybe have a special custom spell based on that element for more flavour).
I think the party can handle this at that point relatively well.

2) Mind Flayers. Somoene I think it was nicoper said at some point that mind flayers at the end of sendai's enclave are not strong enough. I think mind flayers in general lack a little power...but I understand it can be hard to balance them as intelligence drain is kind of harsh as an effect. So I think an idea could be to actually change the amount of intelligence drained, depending maybe on the "level" of the mind flayer (mind flayer, ulitharid, aloon, etc))
for example, a mind flayer would drain one point per hit. This nerf would have the benefit of allowing some major improvments with mind flayers, making them a lot tougher/cunning etc, so that the intelligence drain will be manageable in a similar way that you can manage to avoid getting too many strenght drain hits in fights against other creatures.

Just two ideas, because discussing this mod is fun anyway

Agree with both! thumb.gif

Your idea for chromatic is quite good HTRT!
conqueror
One thing that surprised me... the Dragon's Breath halberd was the first +4 weapon I found in my game. (I forged Phosphorus, so I do mean *found*). However the fight involved to get it is practically vanilla and not very memorable.

One thing I think would beef up the fight a slight bit is if Boz was carrying and using a slightly improved version of the halberd. That is, if he had a version that did the 5 points of each elemental damage on 100% of hits, rather than 5%. Of course, this item would not be droppable, and he'd drop the regular halberd upon death. But it would certainly make him a bit more formidable against most characters, and it would add a little more flair to this encounter which in some games can be the first +4 weapon a player comes across.
conqueror
Carsomyr's upgrade could make it a +6. It's the highest-enchanted weapon in vanilla SoA (tied with Crom, I guess, which requires 4 components and cannot be acquired until Chapter 6). That would allow it to punch through Absolute Immunity, I think, and have a 1/20 chance of dispelling it. Would make for an interesting benefit to the otherwise Ia-underpowered Paladin class.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.