Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Please help a returning player
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
rbeverjr
Greetings all,

I’m back after a 3 year furlough. The first thing I would like to say is I am a FAN of yours Sikret! If you have a computer capable of running Dragon Age II and are willing to right a mod for it. I will purchase you a copy and send it to you. That’s how big a fan I am!

After such a long time away from Baldur’s Gate (BG), I decided to do a SCS2 version on insane to start with – knowing I was not up to Improved Anvil (IA). I was right. It kicked my a$s. After the warden kicked my A$s in the bugged get-the-bard-from-prison quest, I read my notes on how to play BG. Shortly thereafter, I had he game under control. After I kicked Firkraag’s rear without cheese on insane in SCS2, I have decided that I may be up to Improved Anvil now – maybe.

By the way, why was there bugs in my SCS2 game? I did install a lot of different mods to toughen the game and broaden the role-playing experience, but there are never bugs in Sikret’s stuff that I have noticed….

OK, here’s my story. I have played live DnD1 through DnD4 and am regarded as an expert tactical player of in-person DnD 4. I hope no one crucifies me as a heretic, but I think the SCS2 game is more in keeping with DnD than IA5 in that not every combat is a life-and-death struggle and high level wizards are THE bomb (even in offense) in DnD. Still, I found myself tentative in my SCS2 game, almost not wanting to go forward because I knew the battle would be sooo tough (and I was tired after a long day studying). Then it wasn’t very tough at all, and I almost felt disappointed. I was remembering my IA5 days.

To the point, Improved Anvil is for expert tacticians, other people need not apply. Still, there is a curve of IA players. I have completed IA4.3 as a kensai protagonist. I completed most of SoA in IA5 as a vagrant before being called away by real life. I have not played enough to be an expert. And even though I finished as a lowly single class warrior in IA4.3, instead of the clearly superior Fighter-Mage, I found it very difficult. My idea of very difficult is when I have to reload more than twice in every other Sikret-modified battle or even one in three. I don’t like reloading a lot.

So, with that introduction, I have a few questions. I am ready to play Ruby Ray (Improved Anvil). Hopefully, Sikret, thetruth, raven, shadan, or the new generation of experts can help me with these questions.

Question 1: I have read the installation instructions. Some mods are not compatible with IA, but apparently many mods are compatible. I like more encounters – romantic, combat, or anything in between. I like NPC mods that give me something different from the old characters – as long as Shadowkeeper can make them the class I desire without bugging the game. I like variety in items, kits, etc. I’m looking for anything new. Are there mods that you would recommend for me with my IA6 installation besides the Fixpack and Ease of Use that Sikret has specified?

Question 2: I like big groups for the synergy of combat skills that I can get with them as well as the banter. I am still a fan of the banter pack. So, I am proposing a 6 man team. Are the stock game NPC quests really needed for success? Do you consider the following team to be strong for IA6?
*PC: kensai good-aligned dwarf. I love the kensai. I used him through IA4.3 – although I had a devil of the time in the last big encounter in ToB. The kensai usually hits and hits hard. Unfortunately, his defense sucks and he requires baby-sitting. The FM and FMC are more powerful choices because of their defense. I think the risk breaker is too squishy at low levels and requires expensive resources to keep standing. I do like the vagrant – the swanmay is twinky and the added story is cool, but I think I like the kensai more. Still, I am open to opinion. The most crucial pick is the PC, of course. So, please give me your advice.
*Valygar: As a straight ranger with the Sikret’s protector kit probably or possibly the Vagrant or Archer kit. He is Sikret’s favorite; so, he has some good items.
*Cernd: As a straight druid with the auramaster kit. He is another of Sikret’s favorites and gets good items. I have played Cernd before in IA4.3 as an auramaster. I think he does contribute to the team without being as essential as the arcane (sorcerer or fighter-mage). The readme was obscure on the nerf of Insect Plague. I’m not sure that Cernd is the best pick anymore, even though Creeping Doom will eventually be available.
*Ranger 7-Cleric. I will use a mod to make Jaheira human for this combo or Shadow Keep it. By the way this is a personal game for my enjoyment. If you object to what I am doing, just consider it a multi-player game and get over it. Although I believe that the Ranger-Cleric multiclass may be more powerful ultimately, I like getting more spells early. Besides, the cleric can buff herself with Holy Power and Righteous Magic to be just fine.
*Sorcerer (Imoen or Kelsey NPC add-on). Thanks, Sikret. I think you did a great job in making Imoen a sorcerer! Ruby Ray and Breach!
*Thief 6-Fighter (Nalia or Kim NPC add-on). A thief-fighter multiclass may be more powerful. A FMT may be more powerful than that. Will I need that power? I‘ve never tried the Kim NPC add-on, which makes it more desirable to me to do so. Has anyone else used this mod? Is it compatible with IA6?

Question 3: In Improved Anvil, it is not possible to tramp through killing anything, everywhere. Unless your name is thetruth (who seems capable of putting out Hell with a pail of water), you need to follow a certain path to counter frustration. Is the path of quests suggested by Raven for IA5 still good advice for IA6?

Question 4: I have The Four v. 2 which I install in every non-IA game to use Sikret’s rules and to have some challenging encounters. Sikret, I would LOVE to have all your rules without monsters or items as an option to employ in an IA-lite campaign when my brain just isn’t up to the challenge of real IA. I agree with most of your rule changes and can accept those that I feel are too severe of a nerf or unnecessary. I would love to play under your influence all the time! Have you ever been described as a new drug? wink.gif Just kidding. Is there a newer version of The Four that is compatible with IA6? If so, where can I download it?

Question 5: What are the differences in IA6 compared to IA5? If there is a file answering this already, then a link will suffice.

Thank you all! I look forward to a challenging (and hopefully not too frustrating) game.

Beware; I will come crawling to you for help if I encounter a frustrating obstacle!

Sikret
Hi rbeverjr, and welcome back.
The differences between IA v6 and IA v5 can be found here.
IA v6 is not publicly released yet, but it's available to Premium and Gold members of the site.
You can ask your questions about IA v6 in Improved Anvil Fan Club (a subforum of IA forums here).
Cheers
rbeverjr
I was surprised to discover that I had to pay to use the Improved Anvil (IA) forum, but the cost was a low $6 so I was willing. The next cost is $59, which I have decided that under my present circumstances is too much for me. As I have been without work since April and have not completed IA5, I think that I will do that instead of IA6. I'm sure that IA5 will be tough enough for me! I hope the problems are resolved at Black Wyrm and once again want to compliment Sikret for his dedication and the quality of IA.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.