Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spell Shield bug
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Ruben
Hello

Currently I'm in the shadow temple looking to kill me some dragon, however, his spell protections won't go down. I've Rubyed and/or SW'ed him 10+ times and breach still won't hit (nor LR for that matter). Is this the dreaded Spell Shield bug? I read in the readme that this bug was fixed for spellstrike, so I SK'ed in a couple of scrolls and blasted away to test it, but alas, his protections were still up after 20+ Spellstrikes, rubys and SW's. What should I do?
Sikret
The spell shield bug is certainly fixed for spellstrike (unless you have also installed some incompatible mods which might have messed things up). Copy and paste the content of your WeiDu.log file here if you wish.
Kerkes
Yes, it's probably Spell Shield bug.I think there's a fix downloadable so dragons will use Spell Shield version which CAN be removed via Spellstrike (along with all other spell protections), but I don't use it for the sole reason that this spell (Spelstrike) is utterly useless for anything but a few dragons, and I sell those scrolls for cash.
Try casting something (spell removal spell or Breach) at the dragon. If Spell Shield goes down(you should see an animation I think), it works as it should. If not, reload. Or download fix and use Spellstrike.

heh. 2 late. tongue.gif
Ruben
// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Infinite Weapon, Potion and Ring/Amulet Stacking
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #1 // Infinite Weapon, Potion Stacking (ToB)
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #3 // True Grand Mastery (extra half-attack, etc.) (Baldurdash)
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #4 // Shut Up "You Must Gather Your Party Before Venturing Forth"
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #6 // Wear Magical Armor AND Magic Rings (etc.)
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #9 // Un-Nerfed THAC0 Table, Saving Throws, Grand-Mastery, and Arcane, Divine Spell Progression (Blucher)
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #10 // XP Cap Remover
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #14 // Multiple Strongholds (Baldurdash)
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #15 // Bonus Merchants (Baldurdash)
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #17 // No Drow Avatars On Party In Underdark
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #18 // Imoen ToB Dialogue Fix
~SETUP-EASE.TP2~ #0 #21 // Romance: Bug Fixes (required for later components).
~SETUP-IMPROVEDANVIL.TP2~ #0 #0 // Improved Anvil for SOA & TOB
~SETUP-DUNGEONBEGONE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Dungeon Be Gone V1.6

I also have the recommended baldurdash fixpack.

Alright guys, thanks. I did a couple of more tries and one time out of maybe 50 tries I got the "Spell Protections Removed" text and his shield dropped, but I was in bad shape and died. Haven't been able to get it again. You wouldn't happen to have a link to that downloadable fix, would you?
Sikret
Kerkes is right. At some point, the version of Spell Shield dragons used to cast had still the bug (even against spellstrike) and I uploaded a fix for it. Here is the link. (It's actually one of the hotfixes you should have already installed)
Ruben
It worked! Thanks for the help.
Sikret
Make sure that you have installed other hotfixes as well. Their links can be found in the first post of the Progress Report for IA v6.
Vuki
QUOTE(Sikret @ Jan 28 2010, 02:05 PM) *
Make sure that you have installed other hotfixes as well. Their links can be found in the first post of the Progress Report for IA v6.

Sikret, I think this is not the best place for hot fixes. It should be in a tpic related to V5, most probably in "IA v5 bug thread".
thick3
Does the Spell Shield bug happen on Liches/Mages aswell. Having a bit of a trouble RRoR'ing Shangalar. Installed the fix, works just fine on dragons.
Sikret
The spell shield bug never happens against the "SpellStrike" spell. However, if a mage uses both Spell Shield and SI:Abjuration, you will have the problem that SI:Abj blocks SpellStrike and you have to use RRoR. No mage in the game uses Spell Shield and SI:Abj together (they either use Spell Shield or SI:Abj but not both). In v6, it's not even possible to use them together. Shangalar is one of the very rare cases in IA v5 who still uses both of these protection spells. I have changed his script in v6 and have removed Spell Shield from the list of his buffs.
critto
Shangalar uses Spell Shield? Use Spellstrike on him, then. Even with all the fixes, there is a change of the bug happening.

EDIT: just saw your post, Sikret. I've forgotten, that it was possible to cast both Spell Shield and SI:Abj in v5.
thick3
QUOTE(Sikret @ Mar 2 2010, 05:52 AM) *
The spell shield bug never happens against the "SpellStrike" spell. However, if a mage uses both Spell Shield and SI:Abjuration, you will have the problem that SI:Abj blocks SpellStrike and you have to use RRoR. No mage in the game uses Spell Shield and SI:Abj together (they either use Spell Shield or SI:Abj but not both). In v6, it's not even possible to use them together. Shangalar is one of the very rare cases in IA v5 who still uses both of these protection spells. I have changed his script in v6 and have removed Spell Shield from the list of his buffs.

So it is possible that RRoR is getting blocked by Spell Shield(Shangalar particulary), even thou I have the Spell Shield hotfix installed?
Sikret
Yes, the hotfix is just ensuring that dragons' Spell Shield works properly and SpellStrike will bring it down.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.