Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Noble efreeti
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Mjolnir88
This is my first post, but i have been watching the forums for some time.

First, great mod sikret! Really challenging and makes me want to pull my hair out sometimes! Can't wait for v6.

My problem is the noble efreeti. I cant seem to do anything to him. I have even tried lower the difficulty from core to easy but the furthest i can get him down is injured. His improved fire shield murders me. This combined with his lower fire resist is overkill. He is immune to breach (which sikret already mentioned in another post) so i decided that my casters would have to take him down.

After 2 RR i can bring down his spell protections, but nothing much seems to damage him (due to his regen). He doesn't seem to take any damage from magic missle, and chain lightning did barely anything to him. I've even tried lowering his magic resistance and hitting him with multiple ice storms while a tank stood there aggroing him.

Running around doesnt seem to be an option with his incindeary clouds and fireballs.

I'm out of ideas. Please help.
critto
Hi, Mjolnir88!
The Noble Efreeti is perfectly killable by both melee and magic. I don't remember about Breach, but I don't think he uses PfMW, so buff your fighters with Improved Haste, Protection from Fire, lower their AC and keep hitting him. Make sure you summon some monsters as meat shields. You can use Fire Resistance potions to keep your fire res up.

Now, as for the magic approach. How many spell casters do you have? Ruby Ray him to bring his defenses down, after that continue with 3xLower Resistance. Now attack him with Chain Lightnings, Lightning Bolts and Melf's Acid Arrows (in that order). With two or three mages constantly attacking him he shouldn't last long. You can use Spell Sequencers or Triggers (if you have them) to speed up the process.
Sikret
Welcome, Mjolnir!

SPOILER!
The noble efreeti has Pfmw and does cast it, but he is one of the few spellcasters who gives priority to stoneskin (he is probably too self-confident). So, if you have weapons which inflict elemental damage (other than fire, of course). The damage will bypass his stoneskin and you may be able to kill him even before he realizes that he needs to cast pfmw. That's probably the reason Critto hasn't seen his pfmw in his game.

@Critto

SPOILER!
I have intentionally scripted him not to give priority to pfmw in order to give some better tactical options to players against his stoneskins (the player needs to think and realize that he should use weapons which inflict additional elemental damage); but if you think that he is a tad too easy in this way, I can change him to behave more cautiously and cast pfmw early in the battle. What do you say?
Incarnate
For me Cone of Cold did the trick it does allot more damage then the lightning spells.
critto
@ Sikret:
SPOILER!
I don't know. He was probably easy for me in my current game because I kind of got the general idea of how to deal with him. But he always was a problem for me in my v5 games. I think for new players he would still present a good challenge. If he casts PfMW early and he is unbreachable, then it's five rounds of immunity, during which he can lower fire resistance and go crazy with fire spells. It would probably force player to use magic to kill him, and that I think is a good thing (pure magical duels are very rare in IA).
Mjolnir88
Thanks for all of the replys!

I tried using sequencers with melfs and lt bolts and it worked. That combined with my zerker and his dragon halberd and the elemental dmg and my other zerker and frost reaver.

SPOILER!
I did notice that he's immune to adhw though.

Let me know if any of this info is spoilerish so i can get a grasp of what not to show w/o spoiler tags
Sikret
QUOTE(Mjolnir88 @ Nov 2 2009, 03:24 AM) *
Let me know if any of this info is spoilerish so i can get a grasp of what not to show w/o spoiler tags

Done! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.