Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Several questions and comments
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
mirkomi
Hi all,

I've been writing questions in "Random questions" topic, but now I feel it is time to make a separate topic, since I have several questions.

First of all, I've been playing IA since September last year, and I like it a lot. Too bad I didn't discover it earlier. GJ, Sikret.

I've tried 2 parties, first one with a Wild mage protagonist, that one was successful up to EDE, but I was unable to pass that so far. Still trying from time to time.

For my second party, I've chosen all-mighty Vagrant PC, with a HalfOrc Ber, Valygar, DC Ber->Cleric, Nalia and a Sorcerer. Similar party as Sikret's in his topic.

My questions:

1. First and foremost: Once again I am stuck in Good, Bad, Ugly. What do I do with the Ugly stone???
I've tried everything that came to my mind, visited all sorts of places, etc., but I just can't figure it out. Please just a hint, no need for spoilers.

2. What is the big deal with Valygar? I've found him not very useful. At the moment I was not able to upgrade his armor, but I did upgrade the katana, and he is still not shining. Does the armor make so much difference? If I were starting a new game, I would definitely not pick him. Another custom ranger, or even better a fighter would be much more useful, IMO. I think that he is so far, the character that I had to resurrect most frequently. OFC, I am not a pro player, someone who is a better tactician, would probably use him better, but for me he is the weakest link in my party ATM.
BTW, please spoil me someone on the whereabouts of Aeger's Hide. If it is randomized, I've been terribly unlucky. If it is not randomized, then I can't find it. Please help with this one.

3. Sorcerer vs Imoen:
I see that Sikret and other players as well are using a custom Sorcerer at game start and then they are exchanging him/her for Imoen in Spellhold. That was my plan as well, however, once I've had the opportunity to take Imoen, I've noticed that she had several hundred thousand XP less then everybody else, and was lvl13, unlike my sorcerer who was lvl14 (ie was able to cast RRR). So I've decided to dump Imoen, and stay with my custom guy.
My question is, did I make a mistake? What is the reason people take Imoen? Taking her for story sake is not a good reason in IA, at least not for me. Is there another reason?

4. Cheese methods:
In my first game I had to use something that could be considered cheese, so I was wondering what you guys think, is this cheese:

SPOILER!
Oasis battle - As you enter you are unbuffed, and I wasn't able to defeat the enemy that way. However, I've used my pocket plane skill, and teleported to my PP, buffed up there, and then came back and killed them all without a reload or casualties.

What do you think: Cheese or not?

Mirko
matti
Ad.1

SPOILER!
Go to Mekrath hideout and search there.

- Valygar is very useful. Custom ranger or fighter is no match for him. Upgrading his armor is rather mandatory imo because he'll become very powerful then. Give him contact with nature and a couple of hardiness HLA = powerhouse, no kidding. But he needs some babysitting at lower levels, no doubt about it.

- Aeger's Hide is randomized. I don't remember where I found it ;] but it was rather late in the game.

- Yeah, did exactly the same in my second runthrough.
- Sentimental reasons, mostly, in my opinion. Notice that Imoen has BG1 portrait in IA.

No.
Sikret
2- Valygar will have a new kit in v6 and will be a much more useful party member.

4- The pocket plane innate ability is not intended to be used in that way for sure.
mirkomi
QUOTE(matti @ Apr 22 2009, 07:21 AM) *
Ad.1

SPOILER!
Go to Mekrath hideout and search there.

- Valygar is very useful. Custom ranger or fighter is no match for him. Upgrading his armor is rather mandatory imo because he'll become very powerful then. Give him contact with nature and a couple of hardiness HLA = powerhouse, no kidding. But he needs some babysitting at lower levels, no doubt about it.

- Aeger's Hide is randomized. I don't remember where I found it ;] but it was rather late in the game.

- Yeah, did exactly the same in my second runthrough.
- Sentimental reasons, mostly, in my opinion. Notice that Imoen has BG1 portrait in IA.

No.

Thanks matti. I don't think I would have ever found it.

As for Valygar, after I upgraded his katana, and he leveled up a lot, now he is becoming more usefull, ie. he manages to kill someone from time to time, and doesn't die as much. I will be very disapointed if I don't find Aeger's Hide soon, I have a feeling I won't be able to find it in ToB.

@Sikret:

So you indended for that fight that the party is unprepared? Whoa, that makes that fight among the harderst in late game, IMO.
I will have to reload to it again, to try to win without cheese smile.gif
darkjeshush
Hmm I've always considered the same thing when I get to spellhold, Mirkomi. Is the worth it to give up 1 hit point, 1 strength, and 100k xp just for sentimental value? She doesn't even have her trusty belt.

Since sikret doesn't give any incentive at all to pick her up, I give myself an incentive by naming my custom sorceress something stupid like Imeon, Imoenj or Immoen, and pick a butch voice during character creation. That way, by the time I get to spellhold I will be so annoyed with her, that the 1 hit point, 1 strength and 100k xp hit will seem like a great bargain. tongue.gif
mirkomi
QUOTE(darkjeshush @ May 5 2009, 04:03 AM) *
Hmm I've always considered the same thing when I get to spellhold, Mirkomi. Is the worth it to give up 1 hit point, 1 strength, and 100k xp just for sentimental value? She doesn't even have her trusty belt.

Since sikret doesn't give any incentive at all to pick her up, I give myself an incentive by naming my custom sorceress something stupid like Imeon, Imoenj or Immoen, and pick a butch voice during character creation. That way, by the time I get to spellhold I will be so annoyed with her, that the 1 hit point, 1 strength and 100k xp hit will seem like a great bargain. tongue.gif

Lol, I called my custom sorceress Imoena, but for exactly the opposite reason, so I wouldn't miss Imoen. And I don't. If she doesn't have any particular items, no quests are related to her, and she is a level below my custom sorceress, it really is not a dilemma. BTW, 100k XP is not that much, but difference between lvl13 and lvl14 at this point is very big.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.