Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick question on item location/forging. *Slight spoilers?*
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
DrizztLink
I'm enjoying the mod, but I just wanted to be sure of a few things.

First question, can Cromwell and Cespenar make at least most of the new items between the two? Poorly worded, but as in I can still craft Hammer of Thor when I git ToB, for instance?

Also, here's where the slight spoilers kick in. I'd just like to know if the Judgment Day essence - Mage half is in SoA. Possibly a vague hint. But I'm running low on things to do in the game, and want to know if it's safe to continue.
matti
Ad. 1
Check IA 5.0 readme "Document I-Items.txt", search specifically for "(Cromwell only)".

Ad. 2
Heh, why not? Good luck! ;]
darkjeshush
Q1. Yes, they make the same stuff except for 3 things. Just make sure you craft any Cloak+3 before going to ToB. Pretty much the only important thing Cespenar can't make.

Q2. Mage half can be obtained in SoA or ToB, but if you duped any items it won't drop. There's actually quite a few of these conditional items, and even more if your protagonist is a Vagrant. You miss out on some of the best stuff if you cheat. But then, I guess you won't need any of the best stuff anyways.

DrizztLink
Alright, I figured that it worked like that, but I wanted to be sure. Thank you.

And I haven't heard about the conditional item drop thing. What else does that? It's an interesting deterrent.
darkjeshush
Cloak of magic shielding drop trigger can easily get screwed up too. I think they are at the end of some stack.

The chances are slim anyways, but it's there. I think each new item is assigned a hex offset value. And when you dupe an item, (some item from a previous game, or straight up CLUA) it might load at a location already in use by one of these new conditional items. So instead of the Mage half, you end up getting some other random item.

I don't think it was intended to be a "cheat deterrent". They are in place unintentionally because there is only so much a shell scripter can do; there are only so many parameters to choose from. He might be able to change what item x09A1 does or maybe add another item at x09B0 but he can never alter the way it is loaded. The architecture (I think it's named infinity engine or something like that) is unchangeable, otherwise Sikret would be developing a completely new game instead of modding an existing one. Sikret did an amazing job with such limited resources, and at the same time adding/maintaining a ton of new content. The fact that it runs as well as it does (minus when you cheat of course) is a pretty impressive feat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.