Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Improved Anvil is really improved!
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Silverstar
Hello there! Sikret, do you remember me? Your old greatest fan!

Back in the old times, I had the chance to play IA's older versions, and I was a passionate protector of the mod, defending it and Sikret on the forums countless times.

But for months, I have been silent here, as I never had a chance to play through BG2. (was busy with some TuTu and BG1 runs though, I had little experience in BG1) Though I was always interested in the IA and its new versions, patches etc. the forum page has always been bookmarked. Now I finished a TuTu game and started playing the new version of IA. (with fixes ofcourse)

I do not write my adventures as a journal here as the most skilled players here do, because my modded game is not quite up to Sikret's standarts. I know the rules, I never cheat, I never use cheesy methods, and I fully agree with Sikret's ways.

But, being the mod frak I always am, I have many other tactical mods and a few others as well, but no cheesy item/shop mods or anything that would make the game easier for me.

I have been having a blast with my wild mage PC and a thief dualled into fighter in TuTu (I planned him as I needed a thief in BG2 for locks/traps and as now Immy was a full time sorceress, I needed some one, but pure thieves are weak and I did not need Jan) so far.

The only mod I have I know Sikret will really frown upon is Wild Mage Additions. It adds new wild magic spells to the game, but I love for the fun and randomness factor. (most of its spells are chaotic and instable) I don't remember winning an IA battle with the help of a spell added by the mod, they are only for the flavour and fun. But I know Sikret is right and so I won't be posting here to talk about my game in detail, nor will call myself a true IA tactician. (for that honored title belongs to many extra ordinary players here.)

However, I just want to say...wow. Just wow. I never had a doubt in Sikret's work but the new version is really improved. I never had so much fun in any BG2 game! The improved battles are tougher than I remember and some new tweaks are very welcomed!

I am now in Underdark and I have a SS to show the heat of the last battle I had. It was easily the top best 5 battles I had in any IE game. I loved every second of it even when I lost. I won in the end but I won't get into details as per forum rules. Sikret does not want any info about games not properly modded up to his standarts and I deeply respect that. I just could not help but want to come and write here and tell everyone what a great mod this is! (hope it is OK and does not offend anyone)

I can not congratulate and thank Sikret, and many testers/players working on this mod, ever enough! Truly, this is the greatest tactical enchantment mod, if not the greatest mod ever made for BG2. I have reloaded many battles countless times, always learning something new and rejoicing when I finally win!

Sikret
Hi and welcome back Silverstar, my old friend! Thanks for your kind words.

Isn't the screenshot from the fearsome (first) drow ambush in underdark (the only battle in v5 which is to be toned down in v6)? smile.gif
Silverstar
Thanks for the welcome Sikret!

Yes the screen shot shows a scene in the middle of the first drow ambush. Being no stranger to these forums I have heard much of the difficulty of this infamous encounter. I thought it was a possible game stopper! I knew I was about to battle them and I dreaded the encounter, and could not find the chance to play for the last two days. Yet it was always on my mind. Today I had the chance and gave it all I had.

The battle was tough but I was well prepared with buffs and potions. Carefully positioning my casters (my wild mage, Immy, Anomen) putting Minsc to serve as a blocker to protect them and shooting lesser spiders with his bow (who said bows are useless in IA?) and my Jaheira and custom T/F and summons served as tough tanks. The SS just shows that scene. I will not go in to much details, but suffice it to say it was a very long and fun battle, I lost Anomen (he was pulled into fray by a spider and sliced by Deva's blade barriers) and Jaheira (she blew her save to a mage's ABDHW which sucked her dry), and thanks to confusion from a damned myconid I very nearly lost my protagonist near the end of the battle (the panic I had, my heart raced!), but we prevailed!

All in all I think it is a great battle. I haven't done many quests in Athkathla (levels 14-15) and don't have many powerful items but I don't particularly think the encounter is needed to be seriously toned down but (priestesses were extra ordinarily tough though!) I like to struggle. You said 'first!' I did not know that there would be a second (and probably, harder) ambush. I will look forward to it!

Great, great mod!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.