Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Minotaurs
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Frazurblu
I loved the improved minotaurs and their smite like ability and I appreciate the fact that because of their legendary affinity for labyrinths they are immune to maze and imprisonment spells. I am a little disappointed however that they are so easily knocked out by emotion and greater command. If their mental powers are so strong that the fore mentioned (very powerful) spells have no effect then surely it makes sense that the latter (much weaker) mind spells should have no effect as well. They would become a more worthy mid level opponent. Any thoughts about introducing a minotaur king or two?
Vik
the way you compare the spells are rather strange, because emotion and command are mental spells, thats right.but imprisonment and maze are not mental at all if you think about it they are physical since what is "mental" about being jailed in a small sphere under the ground??? cool.gif
Sikret
Thanks for the input, Frazurblu!

QUOTE(Frazurblu @ Jan 10 2009, 12:39 AM) *
I loved the improved minotaurs and their smite like ability and I appreciate the fact that because of their legendary affinity for labyrinths they are immune to maze and imprisonment spells.

Actually, Minotaurs are not immune to imprisonment.

In v5, they are immune to Maze, Fear, Confusion, Charm and backstab. And also, have their pnp abilities of grappling and charging.

In v6, they will be immune to unconsciousness (hence, immune to emotion and greater command), hold, stun and level drain as well. These new immunties are added specially because a new spell (Monster Summoning IV) is introduced to the game which summons minotaurs and the player can also have them at their side.

Any thoughts about introducing a minotaur king or two?

I actually had the idea of adding a minotaur king to Firkraag's maze, but then replaced the idea with adding a new encounter with some other new creature. The minotaur king idea could fit well with the fact that the area was a "maze"; but the new creature also fits very well with the idea of a "tomb" which is there in that area as you know.
Frazurblu
Thanks for the prompt answers guys.
I just assumed that because maze and imprisonment are similar in nature that minotaurs would be immune to both. It seemed too easy to emotion/G. Command these otherwise quite powerful creatures. I have gone to Kangaax's upper room and taken them out right after chateau Irenicus to get some easy gems and +2 axes. It is esp. easy if you use G. Malaison first although their saving throws are already not great.

Vik wrote;
the way you compare the spells are rather strange, because emotion and command are mental spells, thats right.but imprisonment and maze are not mental at all if you think about it they are physical since what is "mental" about being jailed in a small sphere under the ground??? cool.gif

While you are most likely correct on imprisonment I believe there is a strong mental component with regard to maze as your susceptibilty to it is dependant on intelligence. In the game you disappear but I believe that it is your mind that is trapped.

A minotaur king may not be an entirely new creature but simply a regular minotaur with extra HD , better THACO and maybe a special attack or power.
Vik
QUOTE(Frazurblu @ Jan 11 2009, 02:09 AM) *
Vik wrote;

While you are most likely correct on imprisonment I believe there is a strong mental component with regard to maze as your susceptibilty to it is dependant on intelligence. In the game you disappear but I believe that it is your mind that is trapped.

well if you look at the description of the spell of maze: "An extradimensional space is brought into being upon utterance of a maze spell. The subject vanishes into the shifting labyrinth of force planes for a period of time that is totally dependent upon its intelligence." solving the maze is a matter of inteligence as every other puzzle, but you are moved there not imagening it. also if you look at the school of the spell which is conjuration , the school itself says that it isnt mental at all biggrin.gif thumb.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.