Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How many Gems and Scrolls for crafting
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Gorwath
Hi everyone!
IA brings a lot of new Items into the game which are really expensive and require alot of Ingredients. I always had my problems with all those gems and scrolls which are required for upgrades, that it became really frustrating when I had to search all the merchants in the game because I sold too many Diamonds and now I needed them for an upgrade. Besides these items always blocked inventory space which can be pretty annoying as long as you don't have a bag of holding.
So I decided to go through IA's item document and look up the amount of which gems and scrolls you need.
I hope this is helpful:

gaidin asked if the required gems for the original updates could be posted here. I hope I got all of them but if anyone knows another recipe with gems or scrolls he can pm me or post it.

Vanilla Upgrades

GEMS
Rogue Stone: 2 -->Quiver of Plenty +2(Arrows)(1); Wonderous Gloves(Bard only)(1)
Star Sapphire: 6 -->Wonderous Gloves(Bard only)(1); Dagger of the Star +5(5)
King's Tear: 1 -->Bag of Plenty +2(bullets)
Diamond: 2 -->Wonderous Gloves(Bard only)(1); Bronze Horn of Valhalla(1)
Emerald: 1 -->Wonderous Gloves(Bard only)
Beljuril 1 --> Iron Horn of Valhalla
I always had the impression that there were more gems needed for the upgrades but maybe I always was wrong...

Scrolls
Improved Haste: 1 -->Improved Cloak of Protection +2
Invisibility: 1 -->Improved Cloak of Protection +2
Protection from normal Weapons: 1 -->Aslyferund Elven Chain +5

I wrote to every gem and scroll the items which can be forged with them. The red numbers behind the items names are the quantity of the gems needed. If only one item name is listed behind one gem, you will need all gems for that one item. If I got something wrong feel free to post my mistake and I will correct it.

IA Upgrades

GEMS
Rogue Stone: 8 (but you actually need all you can get if you have enough money) -->Ring of Protection +3(1)/ +4(2); Ring of Burglary(Thief only)(2); Buckler +3(3)
Horn Coral Gem: 3 -->Spirit of the Night (Thief only)
Emerald: 6 (you could forge those items more than once but that would be a waste of resources I think) -->Flail +2(2); Halberd +2(1); Buckler +3(3)
Diamond: 24 -->Flail of Defending and Wounding +5(Ranger only)(6); Dagger +2(1); Guildmaster's Dream +4(Thief only)(3);Grandfather of Assassins +5(Thief only)(4);Adamantite Horn of Valhalla(2); Cutthroat +5(4); Diamond Sword +4(4)
Golden Star Garnet Gem: 3 -->Corthala Family True Blade +5
48-sided Garnet: 1 (actually you need more than one but you can only find one) -->Holy Avenger +5(Paladin only); Death of A Thousand Cuts +4
Star Sapphire: 8 -->Holy Avenger +5(Paladin only)(3); Improved Firecam Armor(5)
Fire Opal Ring: 1 -->Ring of Djinni Sumoning
King's Tears: 4 -->Elven Ancient Expertise (Fighter/Mage/Cleric)(2); Adamantite Horn of Valhalla(2)
Aquamarine: 5 -->Poseidon's Wrath +5(1); Rimed Club +4(1); Buckler +3(3)
Pearl: 1 -->Poseidon's Wrath +5
Water Opal: 1 -->Poseidon's Wrath +5
Ziose Gem: 3 -->Indigo Ioun Stone
Iol Gem: 3 -->Indigo Ioun Stone
Fire Agate: 6 -->Improved Dragon Helm(3); Improved Ankheg Plate Mail(3)
Skydrop Gem: 3 -->Girdle of Cloud Giant Strength
Bluestone Necklace: 3 -->Grandmaster of Flowers(Monk only)
Chrysoberyl Gem: 8 -->Gauntlets of Devastating
Bloodstone Gem: 7 -->Improved Ankheg Plate Mail(3); Cutthroat +5(4)
Laeral's Tear Necklace: 3 (just like Rogue Stones you can keep as much as you find) -->Cloak of Protection +2(1)/ +3(2)
Red Coral Gem: 1 (only found once) -->Red Coral Armor +6
Beljuril: 3 -->Improved Firecam Armor

Scrolls
Strength: 1 -->Treefolk's Arm +4
Spirit Armor: 2 -->Memory of the Apprenti(1); Spirit of the Night(Thief only)(1)
Protection from normal Missiles: 1 -->Huskar Lord's Armor +5
Improved Mantle: 1 -->Huskar Lord's Armor +5
Protection from Fire (blue): 3 -->Improved Corthala Family Armor(1); Noble Staff of Fire +4(1); Mage Robe of Elemental Resistance(1)
Protection from Fire (green): 1 -->Noble Staff of Fire +4
Protection from Magic Energy: 1 -->Improved Corthala Family Armor
Greater Malison: 2 -->True Sword of Arvoreen +4(1); Golem Slayer +5(1)
Enchanted Weapon: 10 or Infinite (you can use those recipes more than once) --> Flail +3(1); True Sword of Arvoreen +4(2); Dagger +3(1); Halberd +3(1); Bastard Sword +3(1); Two handed sword +3(1); Morning Star +3(1); Quarterstaff +3(1), Long Sword +3(1)
Free Action: 9 -->Improved Cat Figurine(6); True Sword of Arvoreen +4(3)
Spell Trigger: 1 -->Judgement Day +5
Black Blade of Disaster: 1-->Judgement Day +5
Wish: 2 -->Judgement Day +5(1); Improved Cat Figurine(1)
Tenser's Transformation: 2 -->Noble Staff of Air +4(1); Noble Staff of Fire +4(1)
Protection from Electricity (blue): 1 -->Noble Staff of Air +4
Protection from Electricity (green): 3 -->Noble Staff of Air +4(1); Hammer of Thor +5(2)
Chain Lightning: 1 -->Noble Staff of Air +4
Protection from Level Drain: 5 -->Hesperus +5
Haste: 1 -->Boots of Speed
Improved Haste: 4 -->Boots of The Ranger Lord(3); Grandfather of Assassins +5(Thief only)(1)
Summon Djinni: 1 -->Ring of Djinni Summoning
Protection from Cold (green): 1 -->Poseidon's Wrath +5
Chaotic Commands: 6 -->Helm of Clarity
Melf's Acid Arrow: 2 -->Improved Flasher Launcher
Death Fog: 1 -->Improved Flasher Launcher
Bless: 3 -->Long Sword +4
Limited Wish:1 -->Long Sword +4

With this information you won't have to run to evrey merchant and look if you have sold a crucial scrolls and waste precious money for no reason.
It helped me a lot

Gorwath
Sikret
Thanks, Gorwath!

The topic is pinned. I trust you will update it when IA v6 is released.
Sir-Kill
O.T. suggestion: smile.gif
maybe since AI has a lot of different challenges that some might find too challenging difficult at times to deal with like the topic maybe a sub-forum could be used to contain 'notes, lists, spoilers, and or specific tactical moves for certain battles.

meh I am completely neutral as far as this goes, if just pinning is good enough, so be it.

please feel free to delete this O.T. post smile.gif
Sikret
That's a good suggestion, Sir-Kill!

We will certainly think of adding some subforums once IA v6 is released.
Raven
You don't need all the gems in that list for any given playthrough because some are used for upgrades for personal items of Bioware NPC's which you don't have in the party. Because gold is precious it's a good idea to check the item readme and sell those gems you won't need.
Zarathustra
Excellent, Gorwath! I made a similar list for one of my games, but didn't think of posting it here.
Gorwath
Thanks for the kind words.
I will certainly update this topic when IA6 is released.

@Raven
You don't need all the gems in that list for any given playthrough because some are used for upgrades for personal items of Bioware NPC's which you don't have in the party. Because gold is precious it's a good idea to check the item readme and sell those gems you won't need.

I will add to every Gem which items you can forge so that you know if you really need to collect them

Gorwath
Raven
Good idea.
gaidin
Hi 2 all.
Excellent idea with this list.
But maybe you can add the gems for those vanilla item upgrades like Iron Horn of Valhalla, Bard's Gloves, Quiver of Plenty, etc?
Gorwath
Ok. I'll try to get those informations and post them here in a separate reply.
But it will take some time

Gorwath
Gorwath
I think the itemlist is now completed. It will be updated when IAv6 will be released

Gorwath
Raven
I think you've missed needing a Diamond to upgrade the Silver Horn of Valhalla to the Bronze Horn and a Beljuril to upgrade the Bronze Horn of Valhalla to the Iron one.
Gorwath
Thank you Raven!
I added the Horn to the Vanilla Game Upgrades

Krell
Some more gems:

5 Jasper Gems needed for a subquest in the Expanded Mage Stronghold (PC necromancer only) - The Wine and the Sandalwood.

Also, I would like a hint to where can be found the third Bluestone Necklace in the game. I know the locations of the other two. But that item is no longer a random drop.
Azoth
Some updates...

GEMS
Emerald: Spear+2(2)
Red Star Garnet: Enhanced Armor of Stamina+6 (Swashbuckler only) (1)
Jasper: Necro stronghold(5)

Scrolls
Enchanted Weapon: Warhammer+3 (1), Spear+3(1)
Protection from Acid(green): Corrosive Lance+5(1)
Disrupt Undead: Hesperus+5(1)
Improved Haste: Grandfather of Assassins +5(Thief only)(1)
Ray of Fragmentation: Golem Slayer+5(3)
Bless: Gracious Steps(3)
Vocalize: Amulet of Hades(1)
Bigby's Clenched Fist: Defender of Arvoreen+4(1)
Bigby's Crushing Hand: Admantite Staff of Strength+5(1)
Giant Strength: Admantite Staff of Strength+5(1)
Melf's Acid Arrow: Corrosive Lance+5(3)

Potions
Potion Defense: 10 --> Improved Human Flesh(5), Enhanced Jansen Adventure Wear(5)
Potion of Regeneration: 5 --> Improved Human Flesh(5)
Potion of Perception: 1 --> Spirit of the Night
Potion of Resurgence: 1 --> Enhanced Armor of Stamina+6(Swaschbuckole only)(1)
Potion of Magic Protection: 1 --> Enhanced Jansen Adventure Wear(1)
Potion of Fortitude 4 --> Oak of the High Forest(1), Tireless Rage+5(3)
Potion of Cloud Giant Strength: 3 --> Girdle of Cloud Giant Strength(3)
Potion of Storm Giant Strength: 3 --> Phosphorus+4(3)
Potion of Stone Giant Strength: 3 --> Staff of Strength+4(3)
Potion of Fire Giant Strength: 3 --> Tireless Rage+5(3)
Potion of Barbarian Essence: 5 --> Helm of Clarity(1), Enhanced Oak of the High Forest+5(1), Tireless Rage+5(3)
Potion of Insulation: 3 --> Harper's Ward(3)
Brine potion: 3 --> Githzerai Blade +5(3)
swapoer
A though after reading the item list.

I think that maybe it is best to cancel the requirment of scrolls and gems when forging items. Instead, we can increase the gold requirment to maintain the same economic pressure on players.
To remember and storing all the scrolls and gems for later forging is too much a hassle for players. Due to the limit of BG's UI, we already have a headace in inventory management. I believe most people give them a bag of holding immediatly after starting a new game. I usually give myself a potion bag, a ammo belt, a scroll bag, a bag of holding and a gem bag. I really hate Beamdog for not mordernizing the UI aspect of BG2:EE.
It is more lore friendly and adds favor into the game by requiring scrolls and gems for forging. But I think the pro beat the con.
critto
I can agree about the user friendly thing by why would money-only transactions be user friendly?
swapoer
English is not my native language, so maybe I didn’t deliver my meaning clearly.

Requirement of gems and scrolls in forging items forces players to constant keep those gems and scrolls in inventory or bag of holding. Players have to look out for gems and scrolls which would be needed later when he or she is selling during shopping.
My suggestion is just to get rid of the gems and scrolls requirement and increase the money requirement at the same time. In this way, players can sell gems and scrolls without worrying buying them back or taking care of no selling useful ones. I consider this way of item updating is more user friendly.

PS: I didn’t suggest cancel the requirement of special and unique items as ingredients.
critto
The idea behind gems and scrolls it to add some flavour and sense of why this particular item has that particular effect. However it is understandable that many experienced players dislike excessive inventory management. This is not a new issue, but I haven't found a reasonable solution yet.
bulian
I think there are two elements for having non-purely gold based upgrades.

One is flavor, and the second is to gate certain items. For example, requiring Black Blood of Orcus for the ultimate necromancer necklace, Lord of the Underworld, means that a player has to complete (and is incentivized to complete) a very difficult encounter before getting such a powerful item. Philosophically, those types of upgrade items are definitely worth including, and many items in the mod are like that even if not obvious to the player. Bluestone necklaces, scrolls of giant strength, and scrolls of ray of fragmentation come to mind. OK, giant strength is just a rare scroll, but it causes an interesting decision - do I keep the scroll for the item upgrade or do I scribe it to gain access to it? So again worth having.

Random scrolls which are commonly available from merchants, such as haste or death fog, are annoying to track. Similarly, common gems, such as diamonds, emeralds, iol stones, etc., are also annoying to track. In the 2019 era, I'm not sure these are really additive to a player's enjoyment of the game.

There are two solutions that come to mind if Critto and team decides making a change is worthwhile. One is to add a merchant in Cromwell's forge area who sells all of the common gems and scrolls used in crafting for flavor. At the very least, the merchant could buy gems and scrolls and sell them back to the player. In that way the player has a single location to go to get what is needed for a specific crafting item. The second would be to remove them from the crafting requirements and update the dialogue files, but I believe that to be a fair bit of work, so that seems less likely to me.
critto
Removing the items from dialogues is much easier, actually, than implementing a new merchant. I'll consider this as a quality of life feature made as a separate component.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.