Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this a good party composition
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Patrick_hindman
Right now i am having doubts about my current party composition

Protag necromancer
Jaheira
heardalis (bard blade dude)
cleric of helm
cleric of lathander
keldorn

I have played through some of the beginning parts of the game and found it very tough, as i dont have a compotent tank (all my characters have 100 hitpoints of less) and have very bad physical damage potential since i dont have any single class warrior and they all have bad thaco. I am banking on the late game potential of this party but right now each battle with magic immune monsters and high level fighters with high regeneration has been tough (i cant even kill gracen) and heardalis has very crap small repetiore of spells, bad armour class and very low health and for a person that needs to get upclose its really bad (If he is concentrated on by any IA fighters he dies in seconds even with stoneskin) so i have doubts about keeping him. So i'm wondering whether its worth the trouble and does this party have good late game potential.
LZJ
Hi,

IMO your party has rather few warriors (Fighters, Barbarians, Rangers or Paladins... I don't really consider single-class clerics to be warriors). Furthermore, your only single-class warrior is Keldorn, meaning that in the face of an enemy cleric your party would have very little effective melee capabilities.

Even in the late game, you will face lots of trouble with this party composition, as only Keldorn and Jaheira will have access to Warrior HLAs (Critical Strike, Greater Whirlwind Attack).

My advice is to drop one of the clerics for something else: a single-class warrior (e.g. a Vagrant who has swanmay summons), a fighter-mage multiclass, or if you prefer an NPC, Valygar or Anomen.
matti
To be honest, no! grinteeth.gif Blade and Keldorn dispels/removing magic and then your fighters activating HLAs and enters for massive butt-kicking, but....wait...where are your fighters? See my point? grinteeth.gif

Above all things - kick out both clerics. Change (shadowkeeper magic) Jaheira to ranger/cleric (don't hesitate, she's untouched by IA) or better make custom r/c dual at the start of the game. Imo two, at least, fighters is a must in IA. Half-Orc berserker or dwarven barbarian (I prefer the latter) or Valygar (on higher levels, with his brand new stuff, he's a killing machine). And IMHO, two arcane spellcasters.
lroumen
There's nothing wrong with Jaheira as a F/D. She's really good with the scimitar/club combination, being able to hit monsters that are not immune to blunt damage to which clerics are limited.

Try to incorporate something like following in your party.
3 frontliners such as
1-2 single class warriors for high damage output
1-2 dual-class warriors or a swashbuckler or a blade for damage and another task like buffing, debuffing, thieving or healing

I would try with 1 character with 2-handed weapons (such as a paladin or beserker or kensai) and 1 or 2 with 2-weapon style (rangers are good at it and the blade and swashbuckler are recommended with it. Sword and shield works nicely too, but you rarely need the stars in it.

3 backliners such as
1-2 clerics or druids for healing, buffing and damage spells
1-2 mages for dispelling, damage and summoning

Try to avoid triple-classed characters and try to get something like 2 dual- or multi-class characters for versatility.
Patrick_hindman
Yea i'm probably gonna drop one of my clerics for valgar (cant have too many clerics i guess), but i'm also thinking of dropping heardalis for imoen when the time comes, i only got him because the equipment that he can use seems pretty damn powerful and by looking through the forums apparently he does become powerful, but his health is absolutely terrible so once stoneskin runs out i usually take him out of battle because he dies like in 3 hits, his spell progression is terrible (hasnt even got 5th level spells yet) and his thaco progression is horrible he rarely hits a thing (even if i do forge that +5 sword of his, his main hand thaco would be around 8 and hes level 12), so do i just have to be patient with him because i'm worried that when it comes time to facing enemies like skeleton lords and such he'll be absolutely useless.
Mylek
I would hesitate to use even a single pure cleric but I do like the idea of having two divine casters in the group. With the recommended install and 5pips in your weapon fighter>cleric has 3apr over a pure cleric's 1 (ranger>cleric has 2apr and some extra utility). I would drop one cleric for Anomen and the other for a Ranger>C. Since it seems that you are intent upon keeping Jaheira I would SK her into a Ranger(Vagrant). I think the blade starts out a little slow but brings unique utility later on in the game. I would consider replacing the Inquisitor with a more offensive choice of either a Berserker or my personal favorite a Kensai.
Kerkes
I totally agree about kensai... up to -25 thac0.... my my.. Just make a dwarf, give him poseidon halberd and try him..beats berserkers by long and far.
darkjeshush
Better yet, give Posiedon Halberd to a Fighter/Illusionist, extra wisher eventually as well. By the time you get access to level 9 spells, you should already have a wish scroll on hand, and be strong enough to clear WK4 for the a point of Wisdom.

Multiclasses are really powerful in IA, too much utility to ignore:
F/I
M/C
F/T
R/C
Triple classes level up too slow for my tastes

Also can't go wrong with any of these:
Vagrant
Sorc
Blade
Berserker-Cleric

Best choice of tanks in approximate order: Vagrant, F/I, R/C, Barbarian
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.