Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tips on defeating the shadow dragon
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Patrick_hindman
hey guys i just need some tips in fighting the shadow dragon, here is how i've battled him so far...
Well i tried melee at first, but the dragon seems to have an infinite amount of protection from magical weapons on him, so i tried to kill him with magic which i managed to get him down to near death but couldn't manage enough magic damage to finish him off before he heals himself. So i would like to know if the dragon does have infinite amount of protection from magical weapons.
Kerkes
Perhaps it is due to the "spell shield bug" which appears sometimes, so you cannot breach him succesfully. I didn't encounter this bug ever in my game tough. He has no more than 5 or 6 (5 I believe) pfmws for sure. Remember that you don't need "breach" to kill his spell shield. A simple "secret word" will do, and after that he should be vulnerable to breach.
Try replaying the battle (reloading). If it was due to spell shield bug, it should work normaly.
Patrick_hindman
hey thanks for telling me kerks forgot about the spell shield at the beginning, yea just kicked his ass, but was pretty disappointed, expected something more uber in that dragon i mean the shade lord and torgal were much harder battles i thought.
Patrick_hindman
I would also know is their a bug in the dragon's script, because if i remember from the vanilla game the shadow dragon does have a breath attack, but in improved anvil battle he never used it once on my party.
Kerkes
He does use it, it's no bug, if he lives long enough. Obviously not in your case smile.gif. All dragons will be improved in IA6, I think. It is true that he is much easier than mr.Shade for sure. I wouldn't agree thatt he's easier than Torgal, but it can certainly vary, depending on your levels and party composition. I believe a mage-heavy party is better for dragon, and fighter - heavy group for Torgal.
LZJ
Hi Kerkes, glad to see you back! I've been away for a while as well, but not as long as you.

Mage-heavy parties can be good against most dragons, but I can think of 2 dragons off the top of my head where mages would likely get you nowhere.

SPOILER!
Dracolich and the Ancient Dragon.
Sikret
Nice discussion about dragons, guys!

QUOTE(Kerkes @ Sep 30 2008, 05:31 PM) *
All dragons will be improved in IA6, I think.

Yes, I have a few surpirses for you regarding dragons in IA v6.

QUOTE(LZJ @ Sep 30 2008, 06:02 PM) *
Mage-heavy parties can be good against most dragons, but I can think of 2 dragons off the top of my head where mages would likely get you nowhere.

SPOILER!
Dracolich and the Ancient Dragon.

SPOILER!

The battle with the Ancient Dragon is a nightmare in IA v6 (much harder than v5). Nonetheless, I still think that it is, in principle, possible to defeat him with an arcane-heavy party (mostly consisting of pure single-class mages) with the right tactics (though I agree that it will be a very difficult thing to do). smile.gif I don't want to spoil the new dragon-battles of IA v6 here in a public post, but if any of you happen to join the testing team (as I know that LZJ intends to), we will discuss those battles in more details in the testing forum/workroom.
LZJ
Hehe yup, I'm more or less ready to join the testing team. Thanks again Sikret! Just notify me via a PM when it's ready.
Kerkes
@LZJ

Tnx for welcome! Actually, all dragons can be killed with only mages, I believe. I wouldn't try it, tough. But it's doable, for sure.
matti
QUOTE(Kerkes @ Sep 30 2008, 04:35 PM) *
@LZJ

Tnx for welcome! Actually, all dragons can be killed with only mages, I believe. I wouldn't try it, tough. But it's doable, for sure.

Yeah, green wyrm comes to mind. My fighters were no more than meatshields in this fight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.