Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie questions about IA
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Dementia
Hi everybody!

I'm new to Improved Anvil and have heard a lot of good about it.

I have a few questions before playing:

i) I see a lot of talk about playing mage or vagrant, but I really like playing some kind of cleric ie C/R or C/F or a pure cleric. Can I enjoy IA without playing vagrant or mage?

ii) I don't consider myself a very good tactician, can I enjoy IA without being too frustrated. I accept reloads. But I would hate to sit a whole day not getting further. I would skip very tough challenges like the slaver compund but otherwise follow the plot and most else.

iii) I do like the banters of NPC does IA change that?

iv) Will I have to make custom NPC's? I would prefer to use Bioware's NPC or a few other like Xan, Auren or Kivan.

v) I never played ToB before, well I remember years ago I tried the big dungeon (I don't remember the name) but I didn't come through. Will that matter if I intend to play IA?

ahh well I think I got most of my questions. Thanks for your help in advance

Dementia
geh4th
I'm still relatively new myself, but I'll try fielding these for you.

1) The most new content for extended stronghold quests (as of IA 5.0) is for the Mage and Vagrant classes. That's why they're heavily suggested. Vagrants in addition will have access to some of the most powerful item upgrades available. I'd check out the item upgrades document in the read me in detail.

2) You might not be a very good tactician now, but IA will teach you that by hard knocks. I'd advise that you follow the pinned "suggested quest order" initially to avoid particularly hard early battles. Many places and encounters you might be used to tackling early are way too strong to try beating early in IA. Learn to recognize when you're in over your head and go do something your group is more capable of instead. You'll find yourself partially completing lots of quests and coming back to finish them later.

Check this forum if you're having trouble with a particular battle or type of creature. Most of what you might ask will probably have been asked already, but don't ruin it for yourself by reading too many spoilers. The fun is in the seeing stuff for the first time. Don't cheat or be cheesy when fighting encounters, you only hurt yourself (there's a thread about that); but reloading is a way of life when learning and certainly isn't considered cheating.

And get used to tough mages and very strong new monster types.

3) I don't think IA affects banters in any fashion.

4) You certainly don't HAVE to make any custom NPC's, but you can. I'd suggest considering a custom sorcerer, they rock in IA. Imoen is a sorceress, so you might not need a custom Sorcerer past getting her back if you don't want two. If you want to use Xan or another 3rd-party mod NPC, be sure to read the readme for any known compatibility issues. Also, some mods add items that are imbalancing in the early stages of the game (Xan comes to mind.)

5) Throne of Bhaal: Once you've survived even the earliest of IA improved battles and monsters, you'll begin to learn how to apply new skills at tougher and tougher encounters. I doubt you'll even notice game play being any harder once you get to ToB. I haven't yet been that far but that's my impression.

Good luck and above all, BE PATIENT. I wasn't, initially, and got a little bit discouraged. Do NOT lose faith, just reload a bad encounter and try again, unless it's obviously beyond your party's ability. Emphasis: the suggested quest order is a great way to start.
Dementia
QUOTE(geh4th @ Aug 26 2008, 04:35 AM) *
1) The most new content for extended stronghold quests (as of IA 5.0) is for the Mage and Vagrant classes. That's why they're heavily suggested. Vagrants in addition will have access to some of the most powerful item upgrades available. I'd check out the item upgrades document in the read me in detail.

Ahh so it requires planning ahead? Is it recommended to focus on a particular item to build or should I just see what falls off?
So a party could be this:
Vagrant (PC)
Imoen
Jaheira
Minsc
a sorc/mage
some other guy...

I don't really know about the vagrant. Is the summons good? Where do I find stats about these swans?

2) You might not be a very good tactician now, but IA will teach you that by hard knocks. I'd advise that you follow the pinned "suggested quest order" initially to avoid particularly hard early battles. Many places and encounters you might be used to tackling early are way too strong to try beating early in IA. Learn to recognize when you're in over your head and go do something your group is more capable of instead. You'll find yourself partially completing lots of quests and coming back to finish them later.

Will I get enough xp to handle ie Windspear hills (Firkraag) or the planar sphere after those initial quests?

3) I don't think IA affects banters in any fashion.

That's a shame, can I use the Banterpack and others like that affecting banters?

4) You certainly don't HAVE to make any custom NPC's, but you can. I'd suggest considering a custom sorcerer, they rock in IA. Imoen is a sorceress, so you might not need a custom Sorcerer past getting her back if you don't want two. If you want to use Xan or another 3rd-party mod NPC, be sure to read the readme for any known compatibility issues. Also, some mods add items that are imbalancing in the early stages of the game (Xan comes to mind.)

I understand sorcs are popular (I never really liked them as I'm a bit oldfashioned) but why are they so good compared to mages in IA? I will not use Xan then it he's cheating...

5) Throne of Bhaal: Once you've survived even the earliest of IA improved battles and monsters, you'll begin to learn how to apply new skills at tougher and tougher encounters. I doubt you'll even notice game play being any harder once you get to ToB. I haven't yet been that far but that's my impression.

I heard of EDE from one of my friends. Can I avoid that?

Good luck and above all, BE PATIENT. I wasn't, initially, and got a little bit discouraged. Do NOT lose faith, just reload a bad encounter and try again, unless it's obviously beyond your party's ability. Emphasis: the suggested quest order is a great way to start.

Ok thanks I'll try. I hope to get as many tips & tricks from you folks around here.

I understand also, that I have to use Baldurdash. Why is that, because I use to use the Fixpack which I guess there's some good modding reason for. Can I have other questadding materials installed? Are there any recommended? Where do I find that Ease of Use? Is that maintained?

How does the randomizer work? I like that idea it makes the game better. Thanks for that.
geh4th
I'll leave most of the deeper details of your questions to our more seasoned people. Some generalized responses:

-My current party is Vagrant, Jaheira, Anomen, Nalia, Keldorn, and a Sorcerer that I plan to drop for Imoen. I don't think it's perfect but then again I'm trying to role-play the group and I have reasons for all of them to be here. More 'perfect' groups are as plentiful as the people on the board, I'm sure.

-Swanmays are quite good from what I know, but I haven't got high enough to really get to play with them much.

-I know Windspear outdoors and the first level is part of that suggested order. Windspear II is more challenging; some new monsters and the guardians of the mask pieces are tough. And don't mess with Samia's party until MUCH later. Way tough.

-Your mages need to be good at dispelling protections before taking on many of the more powerful creatures (read: dragons, among others.) It might be possible to do the dragons earlier but you tend to get bit, clawed and breathed on a lot (or worse) while waiting out the defenses.

-I find the sorcerer better because of flexibility. You can cast what you know how to cast more often than a mage, without having to prepare ahead of time. Most mages, in my experience, don't use more than 5 or so different spells per spell level anyhow. Imoen has an 18 wisdom in IA; one of her primary spells at high levels will be 'wish'. Don't underestimate it.

-EDE is near the end of the whole game. Don't sweat it now.

-I know baldurdash is required and other tweak/fix packs are not compatible. Don't do any tactics mods either. Follow the readme very very carefully to have a stable game. Sikret knows his stuff. As for the randomizer, I only know in general that some items you're used to seeing in stores or on weaker opponents aren't there any more, distributed randomly to tougher encounters or locations. An example would be that the Beastmaster in the Copper Coronet no longer has the Tuigan Bow; it's randomized elsewhere.

Sorry about not showing your quotes in my responses. I'm not too good at that type of management yet.

G
Vuki
QUOTE(Dementia @ Aug 26 2008, 05:35 AM) *
Ahh so it requires planning ahead? Is it recommended to focus on a particular item to build or should I just see what falls off?
So a party could be this:
Vagrant (PC)
Imoen
Jaheira
Minsc
a sorc/mage
some other guy...

Planning is really required! One of the real pain in the game is that you have to make tough decisioan how to spend your money. Money is a real issue in the game. Most of the upgrades are very expensive: just check the item file in the IA document directory and you will see what I am talking about. My strategy is at the moment is to buy only those items that can be used in later upgrades (so, no Harmonium Halberd), the only exception was the Nymph cloack (because it gives +2 charisma).

There is one problem in playing with a sorcerer: the spell selection is not easy. It is a good idea to start a dummy game and check the spell selection for Imoen (she is a sorcerer now) and do the same to your sorcerer (of course in a new game). Spells like Larloch's Minor Drain, Vampirich Touch, Emotion, Sunfire, Spell Immunity are all obligatory to pick up in the game (and do not forget to pick up the new spells against golems!).

In generally you need the following in the game:
- 1 main and one assistant mage
- one single class main priest (can be a dual)
- 1 tank (best is maybe a blade and he can be also your assistant mage - this guy is a 2 in 1)
- 2-3 single class warriors
- maybe a thief but it is not essential (Ryel like the idea to dual a swashbuckler from 10th level to a warrior, it has less HP but more versatile and has better +2 AC/THAC0/damage)

I prefer dual-class against multi but it is up to you. But be prepared that your multi class character could learn HLA much later in the game than single class characters. I see no reason to start a game with a single class cleric, intead of it use a dual class (berserker or ranger).

I am also not an expert in IA, so if I told something not true than guys, please do not hesitate to comment it!
Raven
QUOTE(geh4th @ Aug 26 2008, 05:50 AM) *
As for the randomizer, I only know in general that some items you're used to seeing in stores or on weaker opponents aren't there any more, distributed randomly to tougher encounters or locations. An example would be that the Beastmaster in the Copper Coronet no longer has the Tuigan Bow; it's randomized elsewhere.

The Tuigan Bow actually is not randomised; it appears with the same enemy each game, but that enemy isn't the Beastmaster any more. I appreciate you can't be expected to know whether an item found in a different place from vanilla has been just moved there or ended up there from the randomiser, I'm just making the point that IA does both these things.

Vagrant is a good class and Swanmays are a very powerful summon. They have good hp, decent resistances and offensive abilities and a nice special ability. They are also not affected by Death Spell.

Regarding the difficulty, I would also advise following the suggested quest order (but then, I did write it... wink.gif). It takes a while to get the hang of how to manage the harder battles, and to appreciate the fact that there are some battles you can attempt very early on in the game (like the Troll Mound) which are actually not possible until much later. I'm actually going to add a bit more information to the suggested quest order soon.
Kerkes
Imo, Minsc is good for high strenght and decent stats, but his rage is "tricky", to say the least. + He doesn't have blunt weapon profs but mace, and you don't get a +3 mace unitl skullcrusher in underdark, which is late. You'll need blunt. A custom berserker/barbarian is probably better. Vagrant definitely reccomended as protagonist, he doesn't die as often as mages, you get more exp and get to see great new quests. I'd also kick Jaheira out. Too low hp, her prots get dispeled asap. She gets very powerful, but that comes late. Cleric defintely. Anomen very good, since he can fight also. Imo, a custom ber-cler (my favourite custom for IA) or rang-cler even better. 2 mages - Imoen really shines, and Nalia (if you like her, I don't so I go with custom multi f/i or ber-mag dual .) Valygar is probably the ultimate Bioware NPC fighter for IA. Thief - dual or multi, singe only swash but I'd take a multi dwarf or halfling any day over swash. Bards - blade only, but I'd take a multi or dual figh-mag over them. I did like them before, not anymore.
Best advice: read readme completely. A lot of spells are much more useful than vanilla, on the other hand, a lot of them are nerfed a lot. You'll also find which mods/pack you cannot install with IA.
You'll probably be starting anew many times to figure everything out, but dunno worry, it gets easier when you get used to it. Nobody survives Suna Seni the first time they meet her. smile.gif
Raven
@ dementia

The Ease of Use mod can be downloaded from here.
Raven
QUOTE(Kerkes @ Aug 26 2008, 11:37 AM) *
Imo, Minsc is good for high strenght and decent stats, but his rage is "tricky", to say the least. + He doesn't have blunt weapon profs but mace, and you don't get a +3 mace unitl skullcrusher in underdark, which is late. You'll need blunt.

I don't think mace is a bad proficiency. You can get +3 maces from the Enchanted Weapon spell; plus the Improved Mace of Disruption is kinda handy.
Kerkes
It's handy, and it's +2. Enchanted weapon scrolls I usually save for upgrade, and don't spend my spell slots on that. gimme malison or stoneskin any day. + mace isn't exactly a "long-term" solution.
Dementia
Hi

I understand that different custom PC's are advised. Will it wreck havoc if I change NPC ie like Jaheira to R/C or Auren to Berserker or is that perfectly doable?

I never played a blade, would it be better with a F/M?

My party (in progress in my mind)

PC Vagrant (human or elf)
Jaheira if I may change her stats give her higher con and make her R/C
Nalia
Imoen/ custom Sorc / Imoen
Auren as a berserker if I may change her or Valygar
Anomen

I'm unsure of why I shouldn't install the EoU part which allows me to put 5 stars in ie longswords for multis, can anyone help me here?

Dementia
Ryel ril Ers
The weapon masteries are privilege of pure class fighters. The multi class fighters split their learning time two part so they never able to be as good then their fellows who follow the path of sword. The multi classes very powerful in the vanilla game so they need rebalancing not more power.
In IA they get HLA-s later, and the the multi class grandmastery is not recommended because balancing reason, but the true grandmastery is suggested so the multi and pure fighters are in balance.

If you like the Bioware NPC's then use them.

Your party seems good.
The vagrant is the best protagonist.
I think Jaheira is good as Fighter/Druid too. She can use clubs what are very good weapons in Anvil, and the blunt damage is the best. She isn't the ideal chacter in Anvil but i think she is usable. Later you can specialize her to two weapon style for club+scimitar or two handed weapon styl for staff+spear.
I think you choose her because the romance.

Anomen, Nalia, Imoen are one of the best Bioware NPC-s for the Anvil.
I think there is enough good item usable by rangers to equip two of them, not only one, so choose Valygar.

The blades are very powerful in the vanilla game and in Anvil too. They could get a godlike armor in anvil what give them clean aura (permanent improved alacrity) and their huge casting level protect their spell from dispelling sometimes and give them chance to dispel enemy protections, this is their biggest advantage over fighter/mages.
Dementia
QUOTE(Ryel ril Ers @ Aug 27 2008, 02:18 AM) *
The weapon masteries are privilege of pure class fighters. The multi class fighters split their learning time two part so they never able to be as good then their fellows who follow the path of sword. The multi classes very powerful in the vanilla game so they need rebalancing not more power.
In IA they get HLA-s later, and the the multi class grandmastery is not recommended because balancing reason, but the true grandmastery is suggested so the multi and pure fighters are in balance.

Ok that's perfectly clear to me. Thanks

If you like the Bioware NPC's then use them.

Your party seems good.
The vagrant is the best protagonist.
I think Jaheira is good as Fighter/Druid too. She can use clubs what are very good weapons in Anvil, and the blunt damage is the best. She isn't the ideal chacter in Anvil but i think she is usable. Later you can specialize her to two weapon style for club+scimitar or two handed weapon styl for staff+spear.
I think you choose her because the romance.

Yes I wan't to use her (over an custom PC) due to Romance, banters and the xp from her sidequests.

Anomen, Nalia, Imoen are one of the best Bioware NPC-s for the Anvil.
I think there is enough good item usable by rangers to equip two of them, not only one, so choose Valygar.

Yes I understand. Will I miss a cleric too much not having Anomen?

The blades are very powerful in the vanilla game and in Anvil too. They could get a godlike armor in anvil what give them clean aura (permanent improved alacrity) and their huge casting level protect their spell from dispelling sometimes and give them chance to dispel enemy protections, this is their biggest advantage over fighter/mages.

Aren't blades limited in their spellcasting to only level 5?

Dementia
Ryel ril Ers
1)Glad to help you!
2)Yes you will miss Anomen, because you will need the spell named greater restoration what only casted by clerics, so you will want a single or dual class one instead multi.
3)The bards can cast spell from level 1-6 If you install the thac0, spell progression rebalancing from ease-of-use (what is suggested), they can cast spells from level 1-8
geh4th
There are certain NPC's that Sikret has warned never to tinker with. Valygar and Keldorn for sure; if you change their classes he says you WILL have bugs in the game. Generally, anyone with a special item upgrade shouldn't be messed with, or not significantly anyhow.

Some of the others aren't so much a problem. I see people changing Jaheira to R/C pretty often, but I don't know whether it produces any bugs. I suspect it makes her unable to wear the Harper Pin when she gets it, I seem to recall that problem existed in vanilla from a run I did long ago.

I've also seen Minsc as a Beserker quite often.

G-
Ryel ril Ers
If you don't like Valygar change Minsc to berserker, and give him profs in two handed weaponst like 2-H sword, haldberd and staff. I always use them with him from the first episode.
SpellStorm
QUOTE(Dementia @ Aug 27 2008, 02:41 AM) *
I never played a blade, would it be better with a F/M?

A Blade is one of the best support characters in your party formation. He's a decent fighter, great tank, and great buff/debuff character also, and can even pick pocket. The bardic armor upgrade is very powerful!

Later in the game, the Blade can use Improved Bard Song, Time Traps and Use Any Item to become even more powerful.

SPOILER!
If you delay a little to visit Mekrath, at the time your party manages to free Haer'dalis, he will have more experience and will join with two stars in short swords and in long swords too. Also, Haer'dalis has a good weapon upgrade. Look over the new item upgrades document.

Raven
QUOTE(Ryel ril Ers @ Aug 27 2008, 01:18 AM) *

Yes, also there is another reason why multi-class grandmastery is not recommended - none of the many multiclass fighter/x enemies in IA have more than 2 points on any weapon. So it would be unfair if the multiclass party members could gain more proficiency points.

I would recommend taking a single or dual-class cleric (like Anomen) because some high level divine spells (e.g. Regeneration and Greater Restoration) are really useful. It'd be hard to manage with a multiclass cleric as your main healer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.