Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kerkes' EDE Write Up
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Marceror
Since the academy of tactics post is locked (for obvious reasons), I'm submitting a post just to say how much I enjoyed Kerkes' document on the Epic Divine Encounter (EDE).

This is an extremely well written document, including the editors notes (and I'm not the type to say such a thing lightly). It's also very entertaining, as it is conveyed in a story telling narative. Lastly, if I ever getting around to attempting this battle again (I tried it in 4.2 around a year ago, but never beat it... I got a little "distracted" by the birth of my second son), this write up has given me some helpful ideas about how I might attempt to tackle it. Particularly, I rarely use the spell Wish, but it seems that this spell was the difference between success and failure for Kerkes' party. Something not to be overlooked.

Anyhow, I'm sure others will have words of praise as well. Consider this a place to express your appreciation for the write up.
LZJ
I fully agree with Marceror. Kerkes' EDE account is really well written, and his narrative style is truly engaging.

@Kerkes: I don't suppose you're an author in RL, by any chance?

On the whole, the account gives new IA players a sneak preview at what they would face in IA's hardest encounter and offers a few ideas on how they might tackle it. However, as mentioned to me by Sikret in a PM, the account does not offer too many tactical hints, which may dumb down the experience for new IA players: a good balance was achieved. Great article, Kerkes!
Kerkes
Thank you both very much!
@Marceror

yeah, Wish was extremly important spell. I don't use it much before EDE - I usually only have Imoen with WIS high enough to be succesful with wishing and she has more important things to do in other battles. but in EDE, it's a real lifesaver. The downside is that you can't always get what you want. I believe I reccomended you to take Imoen in your party instead of a f/m/c, no? smile.gif

@LZJ

The story doesn't have many real tactical hints but you can get a "general" tactic I used to keep Prince busy since my fighters used to die very fast against him in melee, not only to him but those golems get extremly deadly after Prince takes a couple of swings at you . I didn't want to write "round by round", it wouldn't be an "EDE story" anymore, it would be an "EDE novel" - the battle was very long - lasting. I may write such things for some other battles.
I'm not an author in RL, I directed several plays with children in juvenile detention facilities, but otherwise no.
Please note that Sikret was of great help to me while writing the story.
Baronius
thumb.gif

Please accept my congratulations, Kerkes! It was a very exciting read. Of course, Sikret and ge4th also did a good work.
Kerkes
They both did great work. One question for them, who wrote "Immmmooooeeen,heeeelp us"? In original, it was "Imoen, help us." But this "extended version" is sooo much better. I actually started thinking how awful it must feel to be slowed. Exellent tweak, 3x bravo for whoever made it.
geh4th
That was me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.