Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Perhaps some tips on Judgement Day fight
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Marceror
I've tried to win this fight 2 nights in a row, with no luck thus far. I should point out that I did complete this battle in IA 4.2 on my 3rd try, but I'm up to at least 10 tries in 5.0 and just don't quite seem to get there. I've gotten the Demon Lord to "nearly dead" a couple of times, but I just end up getting overwhelmed by his minions. It seems that he has virtually no limit to his combat protections. Even when I've fully stripped him of spell protections, breach doesn't seem to work reliably. I'm not sure if Demon Knights somehow protect the Demon Lord, but I've noticed that when these guys are summoned, it's almost as if some sort of invisible buffs are passed over the the Demon Lord (or maybe it's just coincidence). Anyhow, I'm not understanding how I can keep the Demon Lord appropriately debuffed, so that I can damage him. By the time I get the Demon Lord just about killed, he has summoned an unstoppable army against me. Is there some secret here that I'm missing.

I should point out that I'm currently in chapter 6, and I've done just about everything there is to do except for going to hell, and I haven't finished the good, the bad, and the ugly yet (I'm waiting to forge an item that I'm willing to give up). My party is in the 7 million xp range and consists of:

--Vagrant (protagonist) - flail of defending & wounding and axe of the unyielding +3
--Minsc (berserker) - judgement day sword & shield
--Valygar (stalker) - Corthala True Blade & Hammer of Thor
--Anomen (fighter/cleric) - Flail of Ages +4 & shield
--Jaheira (F/M/C) - Skullcrusher +3 & shield
--Nalia (Thief/Mage) - Short Sword of Mask +4 & Buckler +3

I have my Vagrant, Minsc, and Valygar doing most of the fighting, and add in Anomen when I don't need him for casting spells. I pretty much keep Jaheira and Nalia out of the fighting, and just casting spells, at least, for as long as I can. I usually try to take out the Death Lords when they are spawned, since they wreak havoc on my guy's THAC0.

My party is more powerful than my IA 4.2 party was, so I'm not sure why this seems a lot harder this time. Any tips out there from those that have successfully completed this fight? Mainly, I'm looking for a way to reliably keep the demon lord breached. If I could accomplish that, I'm sure I could win. But without reliable breaching tactics, it just takes me too long to take him down. "Come my minons. Come my minions. Come my minions. Come my minions. Come my minions. Come my minions. Come my minions. Come my minions. Come my minions. Come my minions." It gets a little impossible after a while....
Kerkes
Well, this is how I did it. May be spoilerish:
party: vagrant (falil def and wou, JD), figh/thif (granfather of asassins, jhor the bleeder+4), barbarian (warblade with regeneration), figh/mag(poseidon halb), rang-cler dual (flail of ages+4), Imoen

SPOILER!
It's impossible to survive this without serious fire protection. Use items which give you that. I had only Imoen unprotected and she prepared a CC, enenmy sighted, target self stonskin, promw, prot energy. My figh/mage had elemental robe so he's ok, and I dressed cler in great wyrm. move Immy and cler away from battle, use fighters to kill those guys (death lords I believe) first because they drain thac0 and use ww and critical strike (I think they have that +4 2hswrd soul reaver). Alone they're pathetic by this time, but with others in this battle they are devestating. CC from imoen (remove magic, 2x ADHW) also works great on them. after they're gone (Demon lord will call for more, so concentrate on them first. they don't use pfmw I think). Next I did elemental golems because of high damage output and ability to summon golems. I left those small golems to Imoen with hand of undoing, 3xray of frag in sequencer also does wonders. Immy can also deal high damage to elemental golems with those spells, much more than fighters. but keep her away from demon lord or he'll kill her very fast. improved alcatry, robe of vecna are also very beneficial. Use wish spell to refresh fighter hla's (hardiness is not an option, but a MUST). Rang-cler did a lot of greater restoration. Always watch where demon lord is. It's great if he attacks the guy wielding JD sword, because it gives the others room to breath. It's hard to keep your guys together here, they tend to get seperated. Hope everybody is a powerhouse by himself:). Try making demon lord do battle with Minsc, in your case. Minsc shouldn't be attacking him, but a target who doesn't use pfmw so you can get wish and other benefits of JD (hope you gave Minsc 18 wis). My figh/mage was useless vs.demon lord, he kills your protections asap, but those golems don't, so I used him against them. Have prot vs poison items or scrolls when fighting marilyths. Concencrate on one at the time, they regenerate fast. they cast pfmw, so switch target when that happens, or use remove magic. Breach may also work on them. The battle may seem overwhelming, but the number of enemies is not "unlimited". I used my figh/mage to "collect" golems around him, and then used stoneskin and mirror image for defence. They attack slow, so it lasts for a while. I believe you can't breach demon lord. Maybe a remove magic would do, depending on your level, but for me it didn't. when he was left alone I attacked him with my protag only who had 85 damage resistance (hardiness, flail, armor and JD) until his protections expired. he has a lot of pfmws so it takes a while. When he's done casting pfmw, swarm him with fighters. Use Gww if you're wielding 2-h weapon, much better than imp.haste.
Marceror
Thanks for the response Kerkes. I had to modify my tactics pretty drastically from my 4.2 run through of this fight, but I just successfully completed the challenge. The barbarians and the mages have been vindicated, and the blessed sword is now in the hands of a righteous warrior!

On another note, no, I didn't modify Minsc's wisdom. I simply never make any wishes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.