Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ryel's experiences with IA 5.0 (RELOADED)
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Ryel ril Ers
PRELUDE
In the past i wrote a detailed game reports about my game. Some topic readers maybe remember my topic, and my dispute with Sikret.
I stole a key from Conster and i didn't want to reload my game. Some actions in the nearly past wake up me, and firstly i want to ask Sikret's forgiveness publicly. I am sorry that i was too bull-headed.

I delete all of my saves (the old vagrant party lost, and i delete two mid-game wild mage party).
I want to write again because this made me happy.

RULES
I accept and keep all the rules wrote down in the cheat and cheap pdf written by Sikret.
I play with evil party with Lower reputation discount mod. Kill innocent people is cheap method to gain good discount. Only the madmen kill needless. I only lower my reputation with quests.
I use mod named The four. I can reach the robe and the bard item. I won't use the robe because that item overpowered. I also think about the bard item. Any opinion about it?
I want to follow Shadan's path... if one of the character die than he/she dies permanently.

TARGETS
I want to...
write tactical spoilers to all IA fight.
write thought of my PC.
show how to play a real lawful evil character.
find bugs but not to use them in my game.

INFOS
I don't write too much deatail about the non-IA fights except that what is not as easy. I don't use spoiler tag to it.
If i use italic than that part is the though of my PC or conservations. Read if you interested in the story too and want to understand my decisions in the game.
If i use spoiler tag that is an IA fight or IA spoiler. Read it if you beat that fight at least once or you need help with it.
My English is inperfect so if you found grammar error please send me a PM. I want to learn English so you help me if you correct me.

Thank you Sikret to create this brilliant mod.
Thank you geh4th to correct my grammar mistakes and give me suggestions.
Ryel ril Ers
CHAPTER ONE

PART I 2008.08.06.

The Protagonist:
Morten, the black wizard (level 7 lawful evil necromancer)

Str: 9 (he never was a strong guy, but that's ok, he is a mage)
Dex: 18 (he is always ready to pierce your heart with a throwing dagger)
Con: 16 (somebody who play with dark power need to be tough)
Int: 18 (he is a born genius)
Wis: 18 (his knowledge is nearly endless)
Chr: 6 (he never was a leader type person, Jaheira led his previous party, his aura is grim, but he is a bhaalspawn so it is ok)

Profs: * in dagger(the main weapon of a real necromancer), * in sling(sometimes need to crush some skulls)

Favorite spell:
Minor drain (damage others and heal own wounds)
Horror (Fear worms, fear my power!)
Fireball(every necromancer book said the skull trap is better, but i love protect the party from fire and burn the monsters from a distance)
Emotion(the best feeling you can have is if the dangerous enemies lay defenseless at your feet)

A custom character:
Darius, the silent(level 8 lawful evil swashbucker dualed to fighter right at the start of the game)

Str: 18 (He is a strong guy as you see)
Dex: 18 (His apparance is facade, he is very fast and accurate)
Con: 18 (He is a very though guy)
Int: 13 (He is smart)
Wis: 16 (He is very wise deep inside)
Chr: 7 (He is a scary figure)

Profs: ** in staff (inactive) ** in two handed weapon style (inactive)
He always loved using the heavier weapons. He became well-versed in staff-fencing while working in the shadows, so naturally when he decided to become a warrior, he extended this skill into other heavy weapons to improve his fighting style…
** in halberd, ** in two-handed sword
these are, after all, the heaviest and most damaging weapons in the world

ANOTHER BIG JOURNEY STARTS...

My name is Morten, the necromancer. People believe that I am good person, but this isn't true. I lost my stepfather Gorion. I avenged him in cold blood. I've killed lots of people, most of them was evil, but they haunt my dreams. I didn't feel calm after Sarevok's death. I am a spawn of Murder, and people die around me every day. I don't live a normal life because the hunters always appaer, and I must kill them all to survive.

I am caught, my head is exploding. I am in a cage, I saw Imoen coming, she says something, but I don't understand her; she releases me. After a minute my head clear a bit. I look around, other people are in cages. Is this a prison? I open the nearest cage and a huge man step out from it, he doesn't say anything, but i know that he is thankful. He looks around while i rest a bit, Imoen is nervous. I am tired and my mind is empty, I cannot cast any spell right now. The huge man goes into an adjoining room, but soon returns in armor. He holds a halberd.
I say only one thing:
"Morten"
He replies simply
"Darius... at your service!"

Some minutes later I have found Minsc and Jaheira. They are imprisoned too. Minsc released himself with anger, and Darius found the key that opened Jaheira's cage. My old companions join me, but Minsc said Dynaheir is dead now. I must avenge her. Khalid s missing, none of us know where he might be. I must find him and break out. I am useless now, only some necromantic trick. I suggest that Jaheira and Minsc equip themselves. We start to explore the area...

We slash lots of goblins, mephits and even an Otyugh too... then we found the mistresses room...
We don't have thief so Imoen casts a shield and a mirror image spells (because lots of traps need to make an attack roll); she then "knocks" open the chest containing a teleport key so now we are able to leave this place. We had seen two lesser clay golems in a room before but we didn't harm them because they are dangerous if awakened. Unfortunately, Imoen activates an alarm - so while she returns with the key, the golems appeared. The heroes of the battle were the two spellcasters and Minsc. Vampiric touches are very good against the golems. Imoen destroyed both of them.

The dryads say something about a Duergar group. We use the key to teleport to the next level to see what is there; we meet Yoshimo, who we invite to join with us. He reports that there are dangerous mephits waiting for us in the next room, so we decide to return to the previous level to find some useful healing potions and scrolls. The Duergar band falls easily, we rushed in to the room and Imoen's emotion and a horror spells wins the battle for us.
The cambion was toughter but Imoen help the fighters with magic missiles.
The pocket air plane was the hardest, these dirty mephits are dangerous but the horror of the necromances works again, so the fighters only needed to shoot the chaotically moving targets.
The genies offer seemed fair so I made the deal and released him.
The mephit portals were plain as pikestaff but we collected more and more injuries.

There was a body on a table in the portal room. The dead body of Khalid. I lost another friend. I feel only emptiness. I know all of them will die if they follow my path. Only Jaheira, Minsc and Imoen remain. Darius seems to be a useful companion, but I cannot rely on this Yoshimo, I have bad feelings when I see him. Jaheira is broken now but she masks her pain with coldness. Minsc has become bitter without Dynaheir. What will happen after we escape from this place?

We escaped successfully from the place. Everyone has serious injuries, and all of our spells have been cast. And NOW we meet with our enemy! A big battle has broken out between our captor and others when Cowled mages arrive and arrest him. They disappear, taking both Irenicus and Imoen with them! They stole Imoen! We must now find an inn where we can rest, heal, and plan what to do next. Our equipment is lost and we have little money, but we need to find both Imoen and this Irenicus. We head off to an inn called the “Copper Coronet”…

CHAPTER TWO

PART II 2008.08.07.

We met with a strange man named Galean Bayle. He offer to help but he ask for lots of money. I must find Imoen and Irenicus at all cost. I don't know what is the more important for me: save Imoen or kill Irenicus. We must collect a large amount of gold but we must first rest a bit. Jaheira questioned my leadership but i hear only sadness in her voice. Minsc cannot contribute anything, he is very silent. I make a decision: I must leave Minsc behind. He must start new life, perhaps find himself a new witch or return to Rashaman. I told him if we split we might find clues easier. He is not enough smart to find anything, so he will be safe. Jaheira will be a harder case.

The Copper Coronet is a huge inn located in the central slums. It might be lacking in elegance, but this is made up for by it's central location and the wealth of adventuring opportunities you can find within.

Once we arrived, it was time to bid farewell to Minsc. He will spend his time searching for a new 'witch' to serve. Good bye, old friend.

Two new companions join the group. The first is Anomen, a former warrior that is now following the path of Helm. He aspires to join the Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart, but it takes a rat to recognize a rat - I can see through the facade. He's a brutish man under that pleasant mask.

The other new companion is Korgan Bloodaxe, a Dwarven beserker warrior. He seems strong yet cruel, but is the type of follower that will accept commands without question - as long as he's paid well. He invites the group to join him in a personal quest, what amounts to a treasure hunt in the local graveyard crypts.

An arrogant noblewoman rather rudely interrupts us while we're trying to enjoy a drink. Her name is Nalia, lady of the De'Arnise keep. She seems desperate; she explains that she's looking for adventurers to help with a problem: her family keep has been invaded by unknown monsters. We tell her we'll help her...if the pay is good. But it'll be on our time, because right now we need to rest and lick our wounds.

We return to Waukeen's Promenade because i saw a magic shop, and maybe we'll find some powerful spells. We sell all of our useless things and I found some useful scrolls: Slow, Enchant weapon and Sunfire. After the business we have only around 1000 gold. We rest a bit to heal the party. I fill a minor sequencer with two magic missiles, summon my first familiar, and Jaheira creates good berries.

We solve the illusionary circus tent. My PC never liked the tricks.
After that we rest again and travel to the graveyard, We find the ghost of a small boy who was killed by a thief. Ghost must be laid to rest so I swear to help him.
On the path to the slum we encountered a bandit party...

SPOILER!
Suna Seni and his party
Lots of players said this is a hard battle in the beginning, but it isn't true. They are tough, but especially dangerous because of the first round.
Their cleric starts with Greater command (casting time 1) and their mage starts with Confusion (casting time 7). If you can break their concentration you will be the winner.

Round 1
I paused the game at the beginning of the fight. I realized that I only have one arcane caster now. I can only break the greater command with magic missiles because of the short casting time and the mage is well defended. She is not only immune to normal missiles but she has mirror image so firing +1 arrows would be useless. She is immune to level 1-3 spells too (she started with Minor globe of Invulnerability). My divine casters only have mental domination, defensive harmony and summon nymph memorized as level 4 spells. The mental dominaton is okay but she is immune to enchantments too (because she started with SI:Enchantment). I check my inventory and find that Yoshimo is carrying a potion of firebreath!

Anomen casts Animate dead.
Jaheira casts Call Woodland Beings.
Yoshimo uses firebreath potion on the mage.
Morten uses his sequencer on the cleric.
Korgan use his rage, and Darius attacks their thief.

Result:
The cleric's concentration is broke by the magic missiles, so his greater command spell is failed.
The mage is immune to fire, but the flames confuse her so she cannot confuse us with the Chaos spell. (The elemental resistant only protects against the damage, but the elemental attack able to break the casters's concentration)
Suna Seni and an opponent fighter attack Yoshimo who start to retreat.
The summoned creatures appeared.
We survived the deadly first round, and the enemies failed their biggest spells. My characters kept their sanity.

Round 2
Yoshimo is injured now, so he tries to retreat. The good part is that the fire breath has damaged the enemy that is pursuing him.
The best thing about the fire is that it breaks the mage’s concentration again. I’m not sure what she is doing, but it didn’t seem to be anything visible or dangerous. Yoshimo drinks a healing potion to rescue himself from the claws of death.
Anomen casts Mental Domination on the fighter who was chasing Yoshimo.
Morten casts greater malison.
The others kill the thief and break the spell of the cleric with melee damage.
The now-dominated the fighter turns and starts to hit Suna Seni, so Yoshimo is safe now. He pulls out his bow and starts to shoot the mage with arrows.

Round 3
Morten casts emotion.
Korgan drinks a healing potion.
The emotion lays out Suna Seni, the cleric and the opposing fighter, so everybody attacks the only enemy on his feet.
After that, the mage is killed in one round. The others didn’t have a chance with 3 skeletons, 1 dryad, and 5 fighters hitting them.
Finally we finished the dominated fighter so we are the winner!!!

Other workable methods
If you have two arcane caster one of them break the cleric's concentration with magic missile and the other cast sunfire to try to break the mage's spell and heavily damage the enemies.
The best way a divine caster can affect the mage is to cast poison on her, or to get her with a Cloak of Fear (since this is a conjuration spell.)
The enemy fighters don't have good saving throws so you easily make them harmless with the save-or-else spells (web, horror, stinking cloud, confusion, hold person, slow, emotion...)
The slow is very good, because they lose an attack per round and their thac0 and AC increase (so you have advantage in melee), and this spell have -2 modifier on saves.
The emotion is the best save or else arcane spell. The laying enemies cannot attack you and if you attack them their AC doesn't work!

The mage is easily overcome by 3 fighters hacking on her, especially if they’re hasted.

Ryel ril Ers
Dear Sikret!

Could you please forgive me? I ask apologize in this topic and in PM also so i wait your answer. smile.gif
Could you please give permission to write again my experiences to this forum, if i keep your rules? smile.gif

I won't start to play until your answer, and if i made another mistak, i will reload my game without questions.

Ryel
Sikret
Hi, Ryel!

I'm glad to see that you have decided to play the game in a fair way without using cheats and cheesy methods. It's most appreciated.

You have my permission to send your journal to IA's main forum again.

Have fun!
Raven
QUOTE(Ryel ril Ers @ Aug 4 2008, 10:17 PM) *
Swashbucker(8)->Fighter

Why not Swash 10 -> Fighter? It doesn't take much longer and you gain an additional point of AC, THAC0 and damage.
Shadan
I had Swash10 > Fighter with 2handed swords, halberds and staffs, 100% find trap, open lock, detect illusion. He was great... Only drawback I had to put down and put up his armor for locks and traps.
Ryel ril Ers
I think a lot about the level 8 or level 10 dual. The level 10 add lot of bonus (50% thief skills, +1 AC, damage, thac0), but it needed 800000 xp not only 250000 xp. I am very inpatient so i decided to dual at level 8.
Ryel ril Ers
PART I done.
Kerkes
Happy B-day and many more to come! welcome back btw
Ryel ril Ers
Thank you very much, Kerkes!!!
I surprised myself with some hour play while my girlfriend was cooking and baking for me. smile.gif

PART II is done. I fough my first anvil fight against Suna Seni.
lroumen
I didn't know about all of those immunities.... not very logical why they should have them. No wonder a bunch of my spells only worked on some foes of that party.
Raven
QUOTE(lroumen @ Aug 7 2008, 10:36 AM) *
I didn't know about all of those immunities.... not very logical why they should have them. No wonder a bunch of my spells only worked on some foes of that party.

Which immunities? The mage in that party is only immune to spells of level 1-3 because she casts Minor Globe... similarly for non-magic missiles. She also casts SI:Enchantment, and is thus immune to enchantment spells. The enemy party buffs itself with Remove Fear, Haste, Bless and so on. If you read the dialogue box you'd know these things...

Ryel ril Ers
Yes i missed then she immune that things because Minor globe and SI: Enchantment. Sorry next time i will be more precise.

EDIT: I correct the mistake in the report.
Sikret
QUOTE(lroumen @ Aug 7 2008, 02:06 PM) *

Thanks to Raven for clarifying and removing these misunderstandings quickly.

This is a very typical and good example of how a report sent by someone can mislead others. Someone sends something without paying enough attention to what is going on in the game and then, some more people jump into hasty conclusions after reading it.

I'm not saying that Ryel did this on purpose; he certainly didn't. He also quickly admitted his mistake; but there are people who send false things and then insist on them. Everyone should write with responsibility (if you see what I mean). Other players read your reports and typically trust them. This is one reason (among others) we don't accept reports from every type of player in IA's main forum.

Third party readers (such as lroumen) should also be careful not to jump to quick conclusions too fast. We are here to answer your doubts and questions after all.

@Ryel

I want to emphasize again that I was not addressing you at all. I was just making a general point about responsibility in composing reports.

BTW, I like the story-telling and dramatic fashion you are using in your reports, Ryel! Very nice! keep using that style in your reports.
lroumen
I read it as a statement rather than a result from the protection spells and since many IA foes are buffed with immunities it seemed like an eye opener.... but I simply misunderstood. My apologies.
Ryel ril Ers
geh4th awakened me to my lots of grammar mistake, and offered help to correct them. He corrected them and I update the PART I. The PART II is ready too but I am too sleepy now. (3:50 am in local time). Thank you geh4th!!! I learnt lots from you.
I wrote the PART III in more narrative style but in this time i want to post a more readable report so wait a bit.

Dates:
2008.08.12. Part 2 grammar update and the meet with Anomen and Korgan
2008.08.15. Part 3-4

I will be offline until that, because I visit my parents.
LZJ
An evil party is certainly doable. However, you should be warned that certain reputable NPCs would not offer you IA-specific quests (your reputation would not count, only your alignment). As a result, you would lose out on valuable experience, loot and worst of all, a number of essential items required for certain powerful upgrades.
Ryel ril Ers
QUOTE(LZJ @ Aug 10 2008, 03:17 PM) *
An evil party is certainly doable. However, you should be warned that certain reputable NPCs would not offer you IA-specific quests (your reputation would not count, only your alignment). As a result, you would lose out on valuable experience, loot and worst of all, a number of essential items required for certain powerful upgrades.

Yes, I know that i miss contents, experience and items. I also know that i have huge disadvantage because i don't have any ranger in my party. I choose this party because two reason:

1) I want finish a game without ranger.
2) I enjoy the game this way.

Sorry pals, i didn't continue my adventure, because I watch the television every day, because the olimpics is very exciting. Sadly the hungarian team don't get any gold medal yet. sad.gif

PART II corrected...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.