Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nerf "spell immunity"
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Patrick_hindman
In my opinion theres always been a spell thats been a tad too overpowered since the original game "spell immunity". Despite the fact that its only a fifth level spell it becomes the ultimate protection spell for a mage, cast "spell immunity abjuration" then "protection from magical elements", "protection from magical energy" and then any physical protection spell and then they become virtually impenetratable fortresses. I know that ruby ray can dispell it but remember ruby ray always dispells the highest level protection and thus all the mage has to do is cast protection from magical weapons to prevent that impenetratable shield from being dispelled. This leaves your tactical options against the mage limited, your fighters cant do much with those physical protection spells up, while the party mage cant do much with those magic protections up and it really comes down to spamming ruby rays or exploiting the fact that the mage ai always targets his spells on the nearest player character, thus microing your party appropriatly to avoid specific characters from suffering the effects. I have also used tactics suggested in this forum such as area effect enchantment spells such as the infamous greater malison\emotion\chaos combo but this combo doesnt work well against high level mages (unless your really lucky). I'd say you should nerf the spell (make it like a spell shield where it stops only a certain number of spells from that specific school of magic before it is dispelled or you could shorten the duration) and make it a higher level spell like 8th or 9th level because i mean your protecting your protecting yourself from all magical spells from a specific school of magic making it probably the most useful protection spell in the game.

In my opinion though i say it should be removed entirely and reserved as a special spell for "boss" mages, those mages and creatures who are in the lore of the game are meant to be really magically powerful ie jon irenicus, lavok, shade lord etc... It may make the mage more vulnerable but i think that it makes the mage more balanced and more of a team player. In the game the mage should be a support character, helping the team debuff, damage and maim the opposition, and one that also needs to be protected, not a character that should standalone. This in my opinion balances out the mage with the rest of the classes and actually make the thief a more valued character since his backstab can now be a more fearful weapon that can be used against any poorly protected mage, overall it opens up more tactical options. From the battles with the games parties the mage is usually the last one standing since i have to wait for the "spell immunity" duration to run out and it does become dull after a while and i have also used this spell on my mage combined with other protections to tank out monsters since with the tensers spell the mage becomes a invincible fighter which to me seems overpowered. So like i said this spell should be nerfed, removed and limited to specific characters or made unavailable to dual or multiclass characters (really i always thought a fighter mage with this spell was overpowered).
Raven
I know that ruby ray can dispell it but remember ruby ray always dispells the highest level protection and thus all the mage has to do is cast protection from magical weapons to prevent that impenetratable shield from being dispelled.

I think you're misunderstanding how Ruby Ray works. It only removes spell protections, not combat protections. So PFMW will not 'waste' a use of RR. The spells that RR will remove before SI are: Spell Trap, Spell Turning, Spell Deflection, Globe of Invulnerability and Minor Spell Turning (if it was cast prior to the SI).

Be aware that you don't need to waste RR removing some of these protections. Let's say a mage has Spell Turning and SI:Abj cast and the party either has only one RR spell or is relying on scrolls (so doesn't want to cast more RR than necessary). You don't need to bring Spell Turning down with RR, you can bring it down the usual way by throwing spells into it. Remember even protection spells like Chaotic Commands or Death Ward will be turned by Spell Turning.

Of course, for the likes of Globe of Invulnerability you would have to use an extra RR to get rid of it.
Arkain
This may sound like a simple flame posting but: people, do you actually read any spell descriptions?
Patrick_hindman
Yes... now looking back on it i may have over-reacted a bit on this spell but to me its still overpowered for the level in which you get it and i still stand by my opinion to nerf it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.