Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First-time modder needing dialogue compile help!
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Mod development resources & discussion > Modder's Workshop
davechicken
I'm really, really new to modding (like, six hours old!) and I've just done my first sample dialogue to get an NPC to join.

Except it won't compile. Oops.

Would anyone mind me PMing the text over, to have a quick look at it? Likely it's a really simple error, but for the life of me I can't see it. (Starting to go blind from all the IFs!)

Also, when WeiDU tells you what line the error is on, is there any way of easily jumping to that line to work out where the problem is?

Thanks in advance!

blink.gif
davechicken
Oh I've fixed it! *happy dance*

Ignore me...
Sir_Carnifex
QUOTE(davechicken @ May 24 2008, 03:56 PM) *
I'm really, really new to modding (like, six hours old!) and I've just done my first sample dialogue to get an NPC to join.

Except it won't compile. Oops.

Welcome to my world! biggrin.gif

QUOTE(davechicken @ May 24 2008, 03:56 PM) *
Also, when WeiDU tells you what line the error is on, is there any way of easily jumping to that line to work out where the problem is?

You should use a program that has a line-finder. I use EditPad (improved version of notepad) which has a function that allows you to jump to a certain line. There's no spell-checker in it though, so I have to do all that manually.

I've also heard that Context is good.
davechicken
Thanks for the tips smile.gif I will have a look at getting those.

Worryingly, I now have my mod installed... only... it seems to be spawning hundreds of copies of the NPC who keep charging up and talking to me. Is... that normal?

blink.gif

Sir_Carnifex
Worryingly, I now have my mod installed... only... it seems to be spawning hundreds of copies of the NPC who keep charging up and talking to me. Is... that normal?

I'd say the only way that would be normal is if you WANT them to spawn repeatedly. Somehow I don't think that's the case. mellow.gif

Just imagine if you had a hundred Jans try to join your party! Now THAT would be a nightmare! ohmy.gif

Oh, and by the way... Welcome to Black Wyrm Lair. smile.gif
davechicken
As it is, it's a hundred Kronoses. (Kronoi? My Greek was never my strong point.)

One is bad enough...

I think I was using the same prefix as another mod I had installed, so I uninstalled everything and deleted it (except my own mod work of course) and am going to try from scratch.

Other than that, I don't suppose you have any ideas what I've done wrong? Hehe, I am such a disaster zone today!
Sir_Carnifex
Well, there's always the oh-so-hard-to-see scripting error (I hate those!), but I probably would have a hard time finding the problem as I'm pretty new to all this myself. I'm sure someone here will lend you a hand though.
davechicken
I'm going over it with a fine-tooth-comb at the minute. I'm sort of hack-slashing my way through others' examples and cautiously doing my own on top... it's likely just I had conflicting mods, though, as the Dungeon Be Gone did NOT like me having Kronos installed. Oops. Fingers crossed the fresh install will fix it though! smile.gif

*muses on more dialogue...*
Sir_Carnifex
it's likely just I had conflicting mods, though, as the Dungeon Be Gone did NOT like me having Kronos installed.

To avoid the conflicting mods problem, I installed BGII on my computer twice. One is loaded with mods for playing and the other is clean for testing.
Baronius
it seems to be spawning hundreds of copies of the NPC who keep charging up and talking to me. Is... that normal?

Check the script block that spawns the NPC. Do you correctly set the global variable to a different value, so the script block doesn't get executed again and again?
davechicken
I think this is what you're asking me for, but I'm not entirely sure!

IF
Global("KRONOSExists","AR0406",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("KRONISExists","AR0406",1)
CreateCreature("KRONOS",[1485.1935],3)
END
Sir_Carnifex
IF
Global("KRONOSExists","AR0406",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("KRONISExists","AR0406",1)
CreateCreature("KRONOS",[1485.1935],3)
END

You have a typo: you spelled KRONIS instead of KRONOS in the SetGlobal.
davechicken
*laughs* So I have.

Oh that's embarassing! smile.gif But thanks so much!
Sir_Carnifex
No problem. I made a similar typo on my first try. In my case, the character wouldn't spawn at all. I'm not sure if that's worse than a hundred copies or not. laugh.gif

Good luck with your mod!
davechicken
Well, he's in the party. He's wearing some armour (and not massively game-breaking, either). He talks to people. Doesn't hang around if you don't want him first time, for some reason... but I'll live with that...

Now I think I should call it a day and do the banter part tomorrow. Phew!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.