Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trouble defeating lich at temple ruins
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
baihbalm
well, I was going through IA with NeJ installed (it seems to be working quite well together so far).

Was at the 'temple ruin->Umar Hills shade lord quest, and the lich(found on the first sub-level of the ruins that I remember being quite easy in the unmodded game has become rediculously difficult, as I can't seem to dispel his protections... I mean... if the lich casts 'protection from normal weapons' and 'protection from magical weapons' then I cast breach, it should take one of them away no? (no matter if I first cast pierce magic first, or anything, nothing works on the lich...???)

When I breach the lich is says the spell is ineffective??? That doesn't make any sense at all. I'm frustrated, not very fun anymore sad.gif

Anybody encounter this lich in IA5 ?
Hideous the Wu Jen
QUOTE(baihbalm @ Apr 18 2008, 10:32 PM) *
well, I was going through IA with NeJ installed (it seems to be working quite well together so far).

Was at the 'temple ruin->Umar Hills shade lord quest, and the lich(found on the first sub-level of the ruins that I remember being quite easy in the unmodded game has become rediculously difficult, as I can't seem to dispel his protections... I mean... if the lich casts 'protection from normal weapons' and 'protection from magical weapons' then I cast breach, it should take one of them away no? (no matter if I first cast pierce magic first, or anything, nothing works on the lich...???)

When I breach the lich is says the spell is ineffective??? That doesn't make any sense at all. I'm frustrated, not very fun anymore sad.gif

Anybody encounter this lich in IA5 ?

Liches don't cast PFNW...they are immune to normal weapons, modded or unmodded. And they're immune to level 5 or lower spells in unmodded, not sure about IA - it may be higher for some liches, definitely demi-liches. So breaching will never have worked for you. You just have to wait until the PFMW wears off. I just recently played this battle too, Creeping Doom and area of affect spells over level 5 will probably help you disrupt their casting. Hope that helps.
Vardaman
Yes, liches are immune to level 5 spells (even in the vanilla game, I didn't realize this before either). Remove Magic and Dispel Magic work to bring down their PFMW but you have to be a high level for them to work consistently.

Lich fights are really frustrating at low levels. You'll probably have to try outlasting their PFMW's. Potions of Magic Shielding and other buffs might help.
Sikret
Some hints to fight liches can be found in my walkthrough.

Search the walkthrough for the following sentences and read the spoilers coming just after them:

The second group however consisted of a Shade Lich, 2 Skeleton Lords and Two Greater Mummies. The battle was interesting.

Sikret
It's also worth mentioning that with the new 7th level spell, Disrupt Undead, battles with undead creatures (in general) and liches (in particular) will be a bit easier in IA v6.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.