Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Evil items
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Frazurblu
As has been stated on this forum playing an evil party just isn't as rewarding an experiance in IA as in the unmodded or other modded games , due to less available quests and items as well as more interesting new classes.
With all the new and cool items available to build , the evil items have been neglected for the most part. Sikret has said that he has plans for a more interesting evil party option in the game. Being a big fan of Korgan , Viccy and Edwin I admit that they need little improvement powerwise (with improvements to other NPCs in IA one could argue that they are still the most powerful representatives of their classes despite not being improved in any way). Does anyone have any ideas on possible new or improvable items that these or any NPCs would be suited for.
Particularly worth a mention here is a boss axe or two for Korgan. There are plenty of reasonable-good axes but no really powerful ones. I don't count TOB weapons as by that stage everybody has too many options. Any good evil mage or cleric item ideas?
Moongaze
Aren't the +3 fire axe and +3 frost axe powerful enough? They are in the default game.
Unless you're looking for a bunch of +4 and +5 weapons in SoA... in that case, they may have to be created.
Raven
QUOTE(Moongaze @ Apr 13 2008, 08:10 AM) *
Aren't the +3 fire axe and +3 frost axe powerful enough? They are in the default game.

Yes, however neither is as easy to obtain as in the vanilla game. The fire axe especially can be very hard to get.
Moongaze
No? One purchased in the Copper Coronet, and I forgot where to get the other one... but I'm certain I got it in just about every game I have played. No real trouble..

Then again, why would powerful weapons be easy to obtain? If you're going to add more evil items to IA, make it a challenge. happy.gif
Raven
QUOTE(Moongaze @ Apr 13 2008, 12:11 PM) *
No? One purchased in the Copper Coronet, and I forgot where to get the other one... but I'm certain I got it in just about every game I have played. No real trouble..

No, you misunderstand. I'm saying that in IA the axes are harder to obtain. The Stonefire Axe is no longer sold in the Copper Coronet, for instance. The Frostreaver is better guarded, as well.
Frazurblu
I wasn't suggesting that they should be easy to obtain , indeed I was not referring to the many decent axes available. I meant that in the context of being an axemaster they really isn't a boss weapon for Korgan until he gets the unyielding (even that isn't great, given what you have to do to get it , until upgraded which is very late). I appreciate that there are many decent axes but consider that Judgement Day , Daystar/Hesperus , the Truth , Equaliser and more are available in longswords and that there are very good two handed swords , halberds , staves , flails and one great hammer (which is upgradable - twice!). The axe of the lakesider is a great weapon but has an extremely limited clientele and is obtainable very late on - I am playing a vagrant and I have my weapons set by then so I have no real use for it.
If no new axe is created might I suggest that the IA upgrades incorporate the abilty to upgrade weaker axes and combine the fire and frost axes into a +4 elemental axe (throw in Hangaards axe and wow!).
Arkain
Mhm... there actually is an upgrade avaible for Stonefire +3. You can upgrade it with Volcanic Ore into Volcano +5 which, while it may seem to be not as powerful as other weapons, is a "slighty better than decent" axe at least.
Frazurblu
Yes Volcano is a good axe , I just love dwarves and axes and I feel that given the thought and imagination that goes into other weapons with much less fantasy tradition (the halberd !!) inspiration has been lacking with regard to axes. I love the work and depth of storyline that Sikret has put in to the JD quest but its another bloody longsword. You could be a PC marilith and have boss longswords in every hand tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.