Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nether Scroll Lich Help
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Jon Irenicus
Hello everyone

Well, currently my evil sorceress protagonist is romancing edwin and so far i hadn't problems with the improved battles i had, but now on edwin's nether scroll quest i kinda run into a big problem because the lich guarding it is also improved and no one in my party has spells higher than lv 5 dry.gif wich means i can't even cast protection from energy or attempt to disrupt him, and i can't go do other quests first because i want to continue the romance and edwin also says he will leave if i dont get this nether scroll arghhh...I wanted some opinions or ideas or even a reality check on me ( like saying YOUR SCREWED DUDE) from others players of improved anvil.My (nearly)evil squad is:

Protagonist - Evil sorceress - lv 11
Edwin - Wild Mage - lv 11
Korgan - Fighter/Assassin - lv 8/10
Minsc - Kensai - lv 9
Willie Bruce Mod Npc - Berserker - lv 9
Anomen - Cleric - lv 10

Well most of time i just end up getting owned but there was this 1 time, my sorceress and edwin's SI and my high hp tanks, Anomen buffs to fire res, using edwin's lv 1 spell: reckless dweomer or whatever to try cast PfME on my warriors, and some running around the tombs so that only 1 char would be affected by the area spell or retreating to heal with potions of heal, i managed to nullify / reduce or even taking on chin some of lich's spells without casualties like dragon's breath, horrid's ,3 chain light in a sequencer -.-, though after i started to be able to finally hit the lich and stop some of the spells the guy reaches injured status and while i am already thinking i was going to finally win this and make him bite the dust, all my team eats a chain contigency of 3 horrid wiltings and BAMB all dead, from win to total defeat lol.So any suggestions or hopeless comments are welcome.
Nexiam
bait with 1 char, till his protecs go off
rbeverjr
Welcome to the forum Jon Irenicus,

At my skill level, I'd say you are probably screwed. smile.gif

I notice that you have no fighter-mage/blade-type in your group. These type characters are good for this situation because their THAC0 is better than a mage, but they can still protect their buffs with spell immunity:abjuration (SI:A).

One way you may possibly win is to send your wildmage in under SI:A with protection from lightning and protection from magical energy. Just beat on stoneskins until the Protection from Magic Weapons that the lich spams runs out. (The rest of the team stays out of the liches sight/area of effect spells.) You'll need several SI:A because the lich will ruby ray you. The idea is to make the lich waste spells on a protected character, but my money is on the lich. He'll probably use some magic that you are not protected against or summon a nasty or in some way screw your world. In short, it's hard to beat Sikret's liches when you don't have some good spells above level 5 (particularly ruby ray). Perhaps, Sikret, Raven, or the better players can provide a more optimistic approach.

If you have the money and can find a stack of ruby ray scrolls, that would make things a bit easier. If you must do this quest now, you may need some scrolls for the job.

Old school cheese is to whack the lich and leave, letting his spells run out. I've never tried that approach, but I've heard that Sikret specifically protects against this tactic in some battles.
Jon Irenicus
Thank you for the welcome.

About the fighter/mage type ,i was thinking of replacing one my characters and dualing sarevok in this way but ToB is still too far away , meehh

Well, i tried making my sorceress invulnerable to every freaking element and magic damage and with SI:abjuration so that the lich would waste all his arsenal on me.First he tried to remove SI with ruby ray, but no prob, given the casting time of the spell and the distance till it hit me i could renew SI about 1 second after it goes off, the lich casted it again and repeated this proces about 3 times.After that he starts casting a longer alteration spell, which i guessed would be timestop and indeed it was.And here i was happy thinking that that creep was going to to waste his horrid's , chain's lightings , dragon's breath , fingers of death, etc on me, but wow, he totaly tricked me, he didnt cast anything at all, he just went up to me and bitch slapped my sorceress ...that's right the guy went mellee on me, which means neither of us could do anything to each other other than play rock paper and scissors till the end of time.

Well, after that i used a reallllly cheesy tactic that i had thought about the time i made my first post here ,as a last resort, and finally and i was able to mopp the floor with him, though it didn't make me much happy, but i really can't see how i can kill him at this level without wasting my (little) money in buying some bunch of scrolls, and even then i will still probably get owned. Still open to suggestions though, it would be nice if there was a way that i could win this without having to use the door to run away to the next area from his horrid's spells so that i could save some of edwin's recklesss dweomer's to cast PfME so that my team doesn't go nuclear on me from his chain contigency.By the way, the loot of lich was really "nice": a sex change operation for edwin, and 25 gold pieces. rolleyes.gif though that's ok since i used a cheap method to over this.

EDIT:I got 2 other small questions,off topic but i will ask them here anyway.

1º: is remove magic actually useful on a sorcerer in a 6 men party on improved anvil?Won't his level be kinda crappy to actually dispel effects, protections of other mages?

2º:i unistalled improved anvil and reinstalled it again so i could fix some of smaller bugs on v5 like, ray of fragmentation not work on some of the golems, ancient dragon's loot, etc.Want i wanted to know is if unistalling and installing IA will affect in any bad way my current game?I don't think it will, but since i have 0 experience in unistalling mods during mid game, i will ask just to make sure.
Jon Irenicus
Finally managed to kick his ass fair and square, though it left me penniless bah.Went and did the copper coronet and trademeet's quests and bought some high lv scrolls, and only the team's drunkard, willie bruce,got killed in action.Looks like my team will be sleeping on the streets for a good long time now, but hey!!! i got my 25 golds pieces fair this time....yay....

Now if someone could answer my 2 small questions on the previous post...Thanks for the replies.
jebu
Basically, in many of the fights you'd really need Remove Magic, your sorcerer is too low level to affect the enemy mage's protections. Even Keldorn's improved Dispel might not work, as it has been toned down for IA. I'm not saying those spells aren't useful at all, just that in the easier combats where they work reliably they're not usually necessary.

Uninstalling IA and applying the fixes shouldn't cause any trouble.
Raven
QUOTE(jebu @ Mar 14 2008, 08:32 AM) *
Basically, in many of the fights you'd really need Remove Magic, your sorcerer is too low level to affect the enemy mage's protections. Even Keldorn's improved Dispel might not work, as it has been toned down for IA. I'm not saying those spells aren't useful at all, just that in the easier combats where they work reliably they're not usually necessary.

I would say having Remove Magic as one of your sorcerer's spells is worth it. Early on Remove Magic is useful for removing potion buffs from enemies (since potions only count as being 'cast' at level 10). Later your level will become comparable to that of enemy spellcasters and it will be useful more generally.

I'm glad you managed Edwin's lich using a non-cheesy strategy in the end. Remember since IA is not really designed for evil parties (at this stage in development at least) the evil NPC quests will not have been tested as closely for any difficulty issues when the IA scripts are used.

It seems likely this battle was extra hard because of the combination of the IA lich script and the fact that you couldn't postpone it. Hopefully you'll find it's a one-off.
Jon Irenicus
Thanks for the replies people.

Yeah i know, but i still wanted to roleplay this evil character i had mind for some time ( Evil Willow from Buffy rolleyes.gif , got a nice soundset for her with my favorite line from her: Get off super b*tch!!!) and since i installed The four too which has a nice robe for evil spellcasters and some nice gloves , i felt that i wanted to give this team a shot in IA.The lich was really tough since he casted remove magic lots of times....about 5-6 -.- so i was getting always debuffed, and also he would never cast spells like horrid's on magic protected chars, so i had to look at what spells he was casting and guess them and use my sorc or edwin's scroll to try to cast the buff that would counter his spell, on the npcs that i though he was aiming, guess i got lucky on the time i won because most my guesses were accurate and i was pretty lucky since i got 6 out 7 successful uses of reckless dweomer, with 1 of them actually being an area effect wild surge.Without edwin as a wild mage i would he still be the one eating dirt, since there was no way to have enough number of buffs with just the scrolls because of remove magic.Lost about 30k in this battle though lol.Did the copper coronet and trademeet really fast without rest; glad fladorn was a joke vs my sorceress, because edwin just wouldn't should up about ditching me, so i couldn't afoord to rest.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.