Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spell questions
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Shadan
Some questions about spells:

1. Which epic spell is better Dragonr's Breath or Comet in IA? DB does more damage and knockback, but Comet can stun. Pls. consider only the hardest battles (EDE, Oazis, Twisted Rune, final SoA fight etc.) since both are very good against weaker enemies. I am curious what do you think, guys.

2. Is Imprisonment really so good spell in IA, or just my Baldurash text upgrade is not good again. It says no saving throw and bypass magic resistance. Is it right? If yes, this would be among the best lvl 9 spells, since you can take out 1 dangerous enemy from the fight with this. OK, you need a freedom also when all enemies dead, to free imprisoned one and kill him.

3. Why Shadow Door is better than Impr. Invis.? As far as I see, Impr. Inv. is a little bit longer and gives some bonuses (4 AC and 4 saves), Shadow Door doesn't have bonuses. So why is Shadow Door lvl 5 spell while the better spell is lvl 4 only?
Sikret
QUOTE(shadan @ Feb 13 2008, 04:25 PM) *
1. Which epic spell is better Dragonr's Breath or Comet in IA? DB does more damage and knockback, but Comet can stun. Pls. consider only the hardest battles (EDE, Oazis, Twisted Rune, final SoA fight etc.) since both are very good against weaker enemies. I am curious what do you think, guys.

Dragon's Breath inflicts more damage, but it's also a tad slow and takes acouple of seconds to deal its damage after being cast. Both are good spells, though I consider DB a tad more useful.

2. Is Imprisonment really so good spell in IA, or just my Baldurash text upgrade is not good again. It says no saving throw and bypass magic resistance. Is it right? If yes, this would be among the best lvl 9 spells, since you can take out 1 dangerous enemy from the fight with this. OK, you need a freedom also when all enemies dead, to free imprisoned one and kill him.
Yes, it's a powerful spell and can do some precious help in some IA battles. However some certain enemies in IA have been granted immunity to Imprisonment to prevent the player from eliminating them from the game by casting one single spell. The spell can be cheesy sometimes.

3. Why Shadow Door is better than Impr. Invis.? As far as I see, Impr. Inv. is a little bit longer and gives some bonuses (4 AC and 4 saves), Shadow Door doesn't have bonuses. So why is Shadow Door lvl 5 spell while the better spell is lvl 4 only?

Shadow Door has shorter casting time.

Sometimes the levels of a spell is simply copied from pnp regardless of its comparative usefulness (even if the spell doesn't exactly do what it does in pnp).
Raven
QUOTE(shadan @ Feb 13 2008, 11:55 AM) *
1. Which epic spell is better Dragonr's Breath or Comet in IA? DB does more damage and knockback, but Comet can stun.

Hmm, contrary to its description, Comet does not seem to cause Stun. According to Near Infinity, it inflicts Sleep and Wing Buffet (like Dragon's Breath). Perhaps someone could confirm this (I don't have the game to test it right now)?
Sikret
QUOTE(Raven @ Feb 13 2008, 06:19 PM) *
QUOTE(shadan @ Feb 13 2008, 11:55 AM) *
1. Which epic spell is better Dragonr's Breath or Comet in IA? DB does more damage and knockback, but Comet can stun.

Hmm, contrary to its description, Comet does not seem to cause Stun. According to Near Infinity, it inflicts Sleep and Wing Buffet (like Dragon's Breath). Perhaps someone could confirm this (I don't have the game to test it right now)?

Confirmed.

The spell's description has errors. In addition to confusing between stun and unconsciousness, it has another mistake as well: Unlike what the spell's description suggests, even the throwing back effect allows a saving throw.
Arkain
Additionally DB ignores MR, iirc, while Comet doesn't. You might want to change this as Comet is quite useless in direct comparison against enemies with high MR.

@shadan
3. I think that at least according to the ingame description Improved Invisibility lasts "only" 10 rounds, while Shadow Door has a duration of 1 round/level, thus effectively up to 20 rounds.
Shadan
Thanks for reply guys. I was not aware of stun-sleep difference at Comet and bypassing MR at DB.

Arkain, maybe Baldurash textupgrade gives false description to me, but in Vannila game and in my spell descriptions Shadow Door 1 round/lvl, Impr. Invis. is 2 or 3 round + 1 round/lvl.

Not a spell, but item description, which is maybe corrupt at me again:
What is the enchanment bonus of The Equalizer regarding what kind of enemy can I hit with them? Description says +3, but all +x/+y weapons are nerfed to lowest enchantment bonus.
Sikret
I will fix (and tweak) Comet for the next version.

@shadan

I have not changed anything in regard to The Equalizer.
Arkain
@shadan
At the moment I don't have any textupgrade installed. In my game the descrition reads "1 Phase" (which means 10 rounds)... but that may simply be related to the German version (which I have) which has a lot of ingame text errors but that's usually only something like spelling etc.. Sorry for the wrong information then.

[edit] Regarding Iroumen's posting: "Phase" is the German translation for "Turn". I only implied that, my mistake. [/edit]
lroumen
10 rounds = 1 turn in english smile.gif not sure if that helps
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.