Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is a F/M/C viable in a 6 person party?
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Redwall
I've beaten Tactics and Ascension and am planning on playing this for my next play through.

Anyways, I've never used a F/M/C and I'd like to try it but I'm scared that it'll end up being useless just because there won't be enough experience. I heard there's an item that can help with that a little, but is it enough for a six person party?

I like to consider myself as a decent player, but I know I'm not the best, so dragging around dead weight probably wouldn't work out. I used a Kesnai/Mage for tactics, which worked out well, but I'd like a change.

My party will look something like:

Protagonist: F/M/C
Keldorn
Korgan
Ranger dualed to Cleric
Edwin?
Imoen (I may use a multiplayer Sorcerer in this slot until I rescue her)

I normally run a little heavy on the magic side. This would actually be my most melee heavy party.
rbeverjr
Be aware that Keldorn will occasionally be made to run a way like a frightened girl by the very experienced evil clerics.

Also, be aware that playing an FMC instead of say a ranger or necromancer will result in you missing some of the new material that Improved Anvil brings to the game. ... I think, but you may be able to play the expanded mage stronghold?

I personally don't think that the FMC is an optimal choice. The leveling progression is slowed, and HLAs come to the multiclasses later than the other characters.

Welcome to IA. I hope you have fun.
Raven
QUOTE(rbeverjr @ Feb 10 2008, 03:40 AM) *
Be aware that Keldorn will occasionally be made to run a way like a frightened girl by the very experienced evil clerics.

Indeed. Also some of IA's new material requires Rep 20 to access. Because of this taking evil characters into the party probably isn't recommended. Be aware that Nalia's upgraded ring in IA brings her up to Edwin's power level, so you could consider taking her instead of Edwin.

Also, be aware that playing an FMC instead of say a ranger or necromancer will result in you missing some of the new material that Improved Anvil brings to the game. ... I think, but you may be able to play the expanded mage stronghold?
Yes, you will be able to play the expanded mage stronghold (although there are a few items which are restricted to single-class mage only).

I personally don't think that the FMC is an optimal choice. The leveling progression is slowed, and HLAs come to the multiclasses later than the other characters.

Well said.
Vardaman
I played a F/M/C protaganist in IAv4.3 and it was fine. I did a clean install and didn't archive my saves so I can't remember my party but it was a six man and I had Korgan SK'd to Neutral Good.
The F/M/C may not have been optimal but it may still be fine in a five-man team. There are plenty of good flails and they can deal some damage with the Multiclass Grand Mastery mod.

The experience boosting item gave 1.5 million XP then and it's been halved in V5.0 so I'm not sure how much that would affect a F/M/C now. That was also before the XP tables were inflated and multiclass HLA's were delayed so it could be a bigger deal. I remember I drank the XP potion after finishing the Planar Sphere at mid-level range and my F/M/C got HLA's sooner than the rest of my characters. I don't remember how much faster but I do remember leveling up after the potion and getting to choose two HLA's.

Anyway, I'd prefer it if the requirements for forging Ancient Elven Expertise (potion) dropped requiring the protaganist being a F/M/C. That would allow a multiplayer created character to be a F/M/C without being punished.
Ryel ril Ers
If i know correct the triple classes and the multi classes get the hla at the same time. With the potion you lower this penalty with ~50-60%, so you get HLA later than single and dual classes but earlier than a fighter mage. You get HLA with level up so you get more HLA than a fighter/mage or other multi.
I think the fighter/mage/cleric is very good option for the PC.

In the last version I tried it with a blade and a fighter/mage and i think this is the funniest of all! smile.gif

But if you have the 8 million xp cap than you never able to use level 9-10 mage spells.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.