Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: twisted rune, cheesy victory?
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
nicoper
I managed to win twisted rune fight, does it seems fair to you?
SPOILER!

PArty= vagrant, jaheira, valygar, anomen, nalia, imoen, done all quests possible in chap 6 (apart orcus fight) plus 4 WK levels (still great wyrm and horde to complete on 5th floor), best weapons: hammer of thor, foa +4, root of the problem and staf of the ram (alas could not forge any of the two precious halberds due to missing components)
to make it short, on my first attempt I managed to kill every foe in twisted rune apart from layenne, and:
Vagrant (who was hidden from layenne los at the time) came in sight of layenne, she started to cast dispel magic, I retreated in the entrance so that other party members would not be touched, then her doudle timestop + alacrity fired while I was out of her sight, and she did nothing during timestop.
Afterwards, fight was a bit nasty (new summons, which kind I don't spoil), loads of spells but in the end she fell. Big self pride to win in my first attempt cool.gif .
I retried the battle taking her blows on the chin (that is to say vagrant staying in her los), but whatever buffs, potions,... I took, she just obliterates my character bigcry.gif at the end of double timestop.
Retried 6 times for same results

I have to confess that if my way of doing is cheesy, then I don't see how to win this fight with a non magic-user character
Raven
The idea of spoiler tags is that you put the spoilers INSIDE them...

EDIT: Edited for you
Sikret
@nicoper

SPOILER!

Hehe biggrin.gif .

I wonder how you managed to escape Layene's LOS after she saw you and started her wish combo. You were apparently very quick and lucky. I refrain from expressing any opinion about whether the way you won the battle has been cheesy or not, but I'll certainly add refinements and scripts to that battle to make sure that no player will be able to repeat it again in that way in the next version. smile.gif

Have fun!
nicoper
thank you for the answer, sorry for my clumsyness with spoiler tag,

If anyone has a clue to give me , feel welcome
Sikret
@nicoper

SPOILER!

I tried a few times but failed to reproduce the situation you described. I can't escape Leyene's LOS once she starts her wish combo, because the time is already halted and I can't move. And she doesn't start the wish combo if she is not seeing my protagonist at the moment (contrary to what you seem to have reported in your initial post). Can you reproduce it yourself or was it just a rare event out of sheer chance?

Can you possibly test this, Raven? I'm confused especially with that part of nicoper's report in which he said that Layene started the wish combo while she was not seeing the protagonist. It looks quite impossible to me.
Raven
Can you possibly test this, Raven?

I'm afraid I can't do the test at the moment as I don't have the game with me.
Sikret
QUOTE(Raven @ Feb 8 2008, 10:54 PM) *
Can you possibly test this, Raven?

I'm afraid I can't do the test at the moment as I don't have the game with me.

No problem. There is no harm in adding an additional block to Layene's script to make sure that the situation nicoper reported won't happen with any chance. I failed to reproduce the situation, but I take it as granted that it is in principle possible to happen (with some very slight chance); so, I will block it anyway.
nicoper
It is not that difficult to reproduce, but sure I was lucky on my first attempt, did have to try 5 times to reproduce:
SPOILER!
keep hiden from layenne, move vagrant in main room, as soon as you see layenne fire shield completly go back and my "scenario" happen
trick looks to be to spend just the minimum but sufficient amount of time in her los
Sikret
Thank you, nicoper! I blocked the possibility of happening such a thing for the next version.

As for your request for hints to win the battle in less cheesy ways:
SPOILER!

Equip your protagonist with as many items which grant undispellable resistances (and HP bonus) as possible (Red Coral Armor, Dragon Lord halberd, etc...). You may consider to postpone the battle to when you have decent equipment.
nicoper
thks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.