Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another new 8th level spell
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Sikret
Here is an idea for a new 8th level spell of divination school. Comments are most appreciated.

Note that if we decide to implement the other new divination spell, Premonition (either as a replacement for Mislead or not), these two spells need to be rebalanced together (and should not cumulatively work with each other).

Foreknowledge (Divination)
Level: 8
Range: 0
Duration: 1 turn
Casting Time: 8
Are of Effect: Self
Saving Thorw: None

By means of this powerful spell, the mage can foresee the events of the immediate future to some considerable extent and can prepare himself (both mentally and physically) for the events which are going to happen. The mage gains +4 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus to THAC0 and saving throws and +1 bonus to casting speed for the next 10 rounds. These effects will remain for the spell's duration and won't be dispellable.
rbeverjr
I'm glad you are looking at level 8. Level 6 has PfMW and PfME. Level 7 is ruby ray. Level 8 is ... wilting? - not in IA for the most part. So, Level 8 could definitely use some beefing up. The spell that you propose could be good for melee mages, but I doubt it. PfMW works much more reliably. I'm not sure that a +1 casting time for 10 rounds is worth a level 8 slot to a casting mage.
trufa
This spell sounds good to a dualclassed fgihter-mage, but de activation time could be much faster, maybe 4 (Vecna wouldn't be at the Fighter-mage)and the duration could be much greater, 3*level round perhaps
Sikret
QUOTE(rbeverjr @ Feb 4 2008, 06:44 PM) *
I'm glad you are looking at level 8. Level 6 has PfMW and PfME. Level 7 is ruby ray.

Level 7 is now much more crowded than that:
- Ruby Ray
- Hand of Undoing
- Disrupt Undead (forthcoming)
- Mordenkainen's Sword
- Finger of Death (= mage killer spell)

One may even wonder if Ruby Ray is the first best choice for a sorcerer or is it better to pick another spell and leave the duty of casting Ruby Rays to another mage for a while. Scrolls of Ruby Ray can be found soon in the game, but scrolls of Hand of Undoing are damn rare (the same will be true about Disrupt Undead).

Level 8 is ... wilting? - not in IA for the most part.
Well, ADHW is still a very powerful spell and we also have Tenser's Partial Transformation as another good 8th level choice.

So, Level 8 could definitely use some beefing up.

Sure! The 8th level pool is poor compared to 6th and 7th level pools.

The spell that you propose could be good for melee mages, but I doubt it. PfMW works much more reliably. I'm not sure that a +1 casting time for 10 rounds is worth a level 8 slot to a casting mage.

Have you also considered the last sentence in my proposed spell's description? The effects of the new spell won't be dispellable.
Raven
QUOTE(rbeverjr @ Feb 4 2008, 02:14 PM) *
I'm not sure that a +1 casting time for 10 rounds is worth a level 8 slot to a casting mage.

When combined with other casting-speed increasing items (Amulet of Power, Robe of Vecna, possibly Gloves of Spell Weaving from The Four) that extra +1 could prove deadly in the right circumstances (i.e. when using Improved Alacrity).

I think though that the bonus to THAC0 bonus and saves bonus should both be slightly higher, maybe +2. As a small detail I think Immunity to Backstab should be added as well.
rbeverjr
Your right, level 7 has a lot of good stuff, but I'm dying (sometimes literally) for ruby ray! smile.gif Tenser's partial transformation is something I intend on trying out at level 8. That spell may be very interesting too.

Not dispellable is always nice, but sometimes not enough. I understand powergaming is combining items/spells for maximum benefit. I appreciate that casting time bonuses are particularly pertinent to Improved Alacrity. That +1 casting time may make a difference when combined with a lot of equipment, but I like to have 2.5 mages on my team; so, I would like the spell to be able to stand on its own (not a lot of bonus casting time equipment to divvy out).

Although mirror image and stoneskin typically protect a mage from backstab, the non-dispellable immunity to backstab would make it a little stronger of a spell choice.

I eagerly await Sikret's enhancement of the cleric and druid spell list too. I tried the auramaster in IA4.2 and liked him OK. However, I decided that ranger 7-cleric was much more powerful overall due to the fine cleric spells like greater restoration. I'd like to see the divine spell list become of a similar (or even only slightly less) order of power relative to the arcane. Yes, I understand that a well played cleric is extremely powerful and can rip a fighter up, but I still contend that the mage easily beats the cleric.
Sikret
QUOTE(Raven @ Feb 4 2008, 07:15 PM) *
I think though that the bonus to THAC0 bonus and saves bonus should both be slightly higher, maybe +2.

Since mages' THAC0 normally improves very slowly, I thought that a +1 bonus is actually a considerable boost. Saving throw bonuses can be higher though.

As a small detail I think Immunity to Backstab should be added as well.

I'll think about it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.