Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Damage calculation for dual wielding vs 2 handed weapon
The Black Wyrm's Lair - Forums > Released mods - Baldur's Gate II > Improved Anvil
Mongerman
To those who are interested, here are some damage calculations for dual wielding vs 2 handed weapons. Hopefully it will be helpful to those deliberating between the 2 different styles

Assume grandmastery patch is installed, and ignoring all additional elemental, save or die, effect triggered upon strike bonuses

Assume 22 str (+10 dmg)

Scenario 1

Ravager 1d10+6
str bonus + 10
GM bonus + 3
2 handed weapon style + 1

3 1/2 APR at lvl 13

Over 2 rounds = 7 X (16+10+3+1) = 210 dmg

Scenario 2

Dual wielding the truth / angurvadal + 4

Main hand
the truth 1d8+5
str bonus +10
GM bonus + 3

3 1/2 APR at lvl 13

Over 2 rounds = 7 x (13+10+3) = 182

Offhand
angurvadal 1d8+4
str bonus + 10
GM bonus + 3

1 APR

Over 2 rounds = 2 x (12+10+3) = 50

Total dmg = 182 + 50 = 232

If using belm in offhand

The truth dmg over 2 rounds = 8 X (13+10+3) = 208

Belm dmg over 2 rounds = 2 X (10+10+3) = 46

Total = 254

As can be seen, dual wielding trumps 2 handed weapons in dmg. The dmg disparity widens if you consider extra dmg factors like kensai bonuses, elemental dmg berserker bonuses etc etc, since the extra dmg is applied 1 extra time each round. Not to mention you get bonuses from 2 different weapons when you dual wield. And I'm not even using the best longsword in my calculations

Hope this has been useful, and will perhaps emphasize my idea that 2 handed weapon style needs to be improved =)

Sikret
Thanks, Mongerman! That was an interesting calculation.

There are, however, a few other points which can be mentioned here:

(1) Ravager was not probably the best choice for the calculation. If you take Dragon Lord +5, you have in principle more offensive power even when compared to JD sword (though it will depend on the nature of enemy and his resistances).

(2) The best 2 handed weapons in IA are a bit easier to forge compared to the best one handed weapons. (ex: Dragon Lord +5 is easier to forge compared to JD sword)

(3) You have more chance to critical strike with two handed weapons (this one is perhaps a minor point).

You are probably right that in general double-wielding has more offensive power; but I think that it also depends on the exact weapons you are using and the enemy you are fighting with.
Mongerman
1. Like I said, the calculation excluded all extra bonuses other then raw damage

2. Thats why I did not use JD in my scenario, since its one of a kind

3. More chance to critical evens out in the end, since

20 attacks / 3 1/2 APR = 5.71 rounds
20 attacks / 4 1/2 APR = 4.44 rounds

So you do twice the number of criticals, but the cost is 1 round of attacks.

Do note that once WW/GWW comes into play, 2 handed weapon style will come out on top dmg wise. However, you will lose out on the very useful improve haste + critical strike ability
Sikret
QUOTE(Mongerman @ Jan 27 2008, 01:54 PM) *
1. Like I said, the calculation excluded all extra bonuses other then raw damage

I know, but in practice, it's not merely the raw damage which counts.

3. More chance to critical evens out in the end, since

20 attacks / 3 1/2 APR = 5.71 rounds
20 attacks / 4 1/2 APR = 4.44 rounds

So you do twice the number of criticals, but the cost is 1 round of attacks.

True, but there are certain enemies you can only hit with a critical. smile.gif

This is one of the things which makes "Riskbreaker" a valid fighter kit in IA despite its numerous and serious disadvantages.
Ryel ril Ers
You must calculate with the whirlwind attack too. If you do this the 2H weapons will be the winner except you use the JD sword. In general the 2H weapons stronger in the early game (because the you rarely starts with 2 good one handed weapon or you only have 2 star in 2 weapon style etc.)
In the middle of the game the 2 weapon styles are much stronger than the 2H weapons because the improved haste and the weapon abilities. When yue get HLA the 2H weaponst reach their true power with GW attack. I think the 2H style is the best for the non ranger pure fighter types because the extended reach (you can hide behind the arcane tanks) the 2 weapon style is an ultimate technics for multi class fighters, the swashbuckers, the blades, the riskbreakers and rangers. I will make a discussion for IA if i will have a bit time. (I made one for the vanilla game, i compare korgan and Sarevok and i compare Minsc and Edwin with dual or 2H wield in the pure game only Sarevok and Keldorn better than the dual wield but Keldorn has equal power with 2 bastard sword)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.